The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

Default NYG reach extension agreement with Eli. 6 yr 97.5 Million!

Wow.

Funny Money.

Think Denver woulda had to dish out that kinda cash for JCut?? The price is going WAY up for franchise QB's

*edit for link - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4378407

Last edited by 521 1N5; 08-05-2009 at 06:26 AM..
521 1N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

How much guaranteed?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

haynesworth got slightly more, on a 4 year, 48 mill gauranteed deal...less per year but more available overall if he doesnt start sucking again without a big WR.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
How much guaranteed?
Honestly I just got a text and it didn't have the guaranteed value of the contract.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Eli Manning has agreed to a new six-year, $97 million contract extension with the New York Giants that will make him the highest paid player in the NFL with an average salary of roughly $15.3 million.

A person close to the talks who asked not to be identified because the deal was not signed says Manning is guaranteed $35 million under the deal which will keep him with the Giants through the 2015 season.

Manning, who led the Giants to a Super Bowl upset of the New England Patriots in February 2008 and was named the MVP of the game, was in the final year of the contract he signed as the No. 1 overall pick in 2004.

Manning took over as the Giants starter midway through his rookie season and he has led New York to the playoffs in each of the past four seasons.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Imagine the taxes he has to pay living in NY, poor bastard.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
Imagine the taxes he has to pay living in NY, poor bastard.
... and think even with as bad as NY's taxes are going to be on him, the Federal Taxes on his ass are gona go through the roof as well.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Unreal! That's just crazy money...good for Eli...bad for any team on the verge of extending their franchise QB. Good thing we have Orton!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

I think Phillip Rivers will be getting pretty close to that as well. What do you guys think? Rivers is far and away the statistically superior passer, but Eli's team carried him to a Superbowl. Who gets more $$$?
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
... and think even with as bad as NY's taxes are going to be on him, the Federal Taxes on his ass are gona go through the roof as well.
Yeah...it amused me during the election that guys like BMarsh were all about Obama without the realization that Obama and his tax goons would be coming after them.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
I think Phillip Rivers will be getting pretty close to that as well. What do you guys think? Rivers is far and away the statistically superior passer, but Eli's team carried him to a Superbowl. Who gets more $$$?
Rivers will get paid. He's just too successful.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

This is getting abit out of ****ing hand.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Quote:
Rivers is easily better than Eli, and also one of the top 5 in the league. His deal should be well north of the $100 million mark, with guarantees near $50 million.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #14
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
This is getting abit out of ****ing hand.
I agree, I'm sorry but these guys are just way too overpaid. All of them.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #15
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ong-term-deal/ Take this for what it's worth...but it says Eli is guaranteed $35 million. I can't believe he gets more then Peyton (sans endorsements of course). I mean I know he got them a ring or whatever, but really?? That seems excessive. He's not nearly as talented as some other QBs in the league. But that all important bling is probably what pushed it over for him.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #16
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas

BroncoSojia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ong-term-deal/ Take this for what it's worth...but it says Eli is guaranteed $35 million. I can't believe he gets more then Peyton (sans endorsements of course). I mean I know he got them a ring or whatever, but really?? That seems excessive. He's not nearly as talented as some other QBs in the league. But that all important bling is probably what pushed it over for him.
Exactly how I feel.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #18
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Oh, boo hoo for him, now he'll only have $40 million to add to his bank-sized vault.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #19
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Yeah...it amused me during the election that guys like BMarsh were all about Obama without the realization that Obama and his tax goons would be coming after them.
Maybe that's because they realize that even with 50+% taxes they're still rich as ****. Shut the **** up about politics you right-wing goons.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #20
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
Maybe that's because they realize that even with 50+% taxes they're still rich as ****. Shut the **** up about politics you right-wing goons.
wow
Old 08-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I know that people are bringing up NY taxes in more of a comedic sense, but I'll bet place of business and residence certainly does have a prominent place in the contract debates these guys have with the teams. Not even talking just taxes, but cost of living alone can make a huge difference.

Think about it. $10 million in Green Bay or Kansas City certainly would go a lot further than $10 million in NYC.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #22
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Im really excited from a Broncos standpoint. The Rivers contract could hinder the franchise for years to come when it comes to resigning their own free agents. Talents like Merriman, Cromartie, and Sproles will be walking out the door.

Weve seen what the P. Manning contract has done to the Colts franchise. They practically have a new starting defense every season, but they have had outstanding coaching on that side of the ball to make up for the lack of talent outside Freeney, R. Mathis, and Sanders.

SD has not been so fortunante with their defensive coaching. We saw what happened without Merriman last season. They need their top defensive stars to win games. Merriman, L.Castillo, J. Williams, Cromartie, Jammer, S. Phillips...Too many high priced contracts on that side of the ball.

If Phillip gets his deal Merriman will never sign a long term deal with San Diego.

I hope a new CBA gets approved so the Chug get screwed by the cap.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #23
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I know that people are bringing up NY taxes in more of a comedic sense, but I'll bet place of business and residence certainly does have a prominent place in the contract debates these guys have with the teams. Not even talking just taxes, but cost of living alone can make a huge difference.

Think about it. $10 million in Green Bay or Kansas City certainly would go a lot further than $10 million in NYC.
I honestly don't think that could possibly be the case. They still have to fit the money under the same salary cap no matter what. And regardless of where these guys live, they are ridiculously wealthy if they don't waste all of their money. On top of that, most of them don't even live where they play anyway (they have enough money to buy multiple homes) so that shouldn't factor into the decision.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #24
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

My pops gets subsistence checks when he works out in California.

Roughly equals about 75K more a year when he has to live out there. So you are probably right.

If I were Eli or anyone playing for any East coast team, Id just visit but wouldnt live there. My residence would probably be in Texas, since there are no state income taxes.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #25
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
And regardless of where these guys live, they are ridiculously wealthy if they don't waste all of their money.
Gross generalization based off of the top players. Most players in the NFL are not millionnaires.

Quote:
On top of that, most of them don't even live where they play anyway (they have enough money to buy multiple homes) so that shouldn't factor into the decision.
Not true. See my comment above. You are generalizing based off of the vast minority of players who make the big $.