The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Joe Ellis Interview 8/4/09

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels...spx?ID=1122225
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic
 
s0phr0syne's Avatar
 
Absorb and Redirect

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

good interview, thanks for sharing!


He actually offered a lot more insight into the inner workings of the organization than I thought that he would. Good information about the coach search process and the way that McD presented his plan, as well as explaining what the thinking was behind putting McXanders in charge of the team.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
rovolution
Ring of Famer
 
rovolution's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 2,945

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

good interview. Ellis stands by the fact that the Broncos did everything in their power to try to reason with Jay Cutler.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

He was all over the place on the Cutler Affair. He tried to toe the company line but he also said there were some interpersonal issues that wont be discussed. He said there were some things Jay revealed that he shouldnt have but there really hasnt been that. Bleh.

All in all, I wonder why this guy is so front and center. It doesnt really seem normal.

I dont like this guy.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,696

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
He was all over the place on the Cutler Affair. He tried to toe the company line but he also said there were some interpersonal issues that wont be discussed. He said there were some things Jay revealed that he shouldnt have but there really hasnt been that. Bleh.

All in all, I wonder why this guy is so front and center. It doesnt really seem normal.

I dont like this guy.
you dont like anything about bowlen, mcd, nolan, or any of the players on the team, why would we expect different here?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

"I was frustrated by the fact that we couldn't get our side of the story (on Cutler) out."

Huh? Seems to me like they got it out six ways to Sunday, including the fan letter from Bowlen, so what is he talking about?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,696

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
"I was frustrated by the fact that we couldn't get our side of the story (on Cutler) out."

Huh? Seems to me like they got it out six ways to Sunday, including the fan letter from Bowlen, so what is he talking about?
cutler took to all sorts of media, espn jim rome etc. he won the PR war and the media was not interested a whole lot in waht was actually happening. yes it was all reported, but espn and a lot of others took to this story: broncos tried to trade cutler, failed, now he wants out anyway, when in reality they just took a call about him, he found out and wanted out, after reportedly wanting out ebfore that, now he just had his "ammo"
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
cutler took to all sorts of media, espn jim rome etc. he won the PR war and the media was not interested a whole lot in waht was actually happening. yes it was all reported, but espn and a lot of others took to this story: broncos tried to trade cutler, failed, now he wants out anyway, when in reality they just took a call about him, he found out and wanted out, after reportedly wanting out ebfore that, now he just had his "ammo"
Funny...I've heard just as many media pundits speculating that it was Cutler's fault. In any case, this "we couldn't get our story out" nonsense is laughable. Bowlen's letter to the fans proves they did get it out.

If they couldn't get it out, why is most of this board convinced Cutler was the one at fault?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Funny...I've heard just as many media pundits speculating that it was Cutler's fault. In any case, this "we couldn't get our story out" nonsense is laughable. Bowlen's letter to the fans proves they did get it out.

If they couldn't get it out, why is most of this board convinced Cutler was the one at fault?
I thought one of the more interesting tidbits in there was admitting that Josh was demanding to be the face of the franchise. That really explains a lot actually. It also confirms what Ive thought about the "team first" focus really being "its about McDaniels."

Another thread of reasoning that I found a little batty was to say they were blown away by McDaniels run down how he attacked Denvers defense. What coach who had played Denver, wouldnt be able to do that? Of course, it sounds impressive when you admit to not being bothered with the Xs and Os, as Pat has often claimed. Thats like going to a doctor and being impressed because he used medical/latin terms instead of saying your elbow or your knee. If one doctor uses the latin word for elbow, am I to assume he's more capable than the other doctor who called it an elbow and not its latin name?

Another issue that Im having a problem believing is the whole issue of trading the 1st round pick because its too expensive for Pat. It seems this is presented as a complaint about the current system, someone from the Broncos is more willing to say they traded it because it was too expensive. But when the question is presented with a different tone--one of Pat being cheap or not being able to afford the costs of doing business-- someone close to the team will say, it wasnt for economic reasons. Recently, Mark Schlereth (or maybe it was someone else) was pointing to how screwed up the current system is and mentioned that Denver traded their first because its too costly. Granted, Schlereth (or someone similar) may not be employed with the team but he is an ex-player so you could infer that perhaps he knows something.

Like I said, a lot of stuff still doesnt reconcile. It just seemed like more of the company line and having Pats back.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
I thought one of the more interesting tidbits in there was admitting that Josh was demanding to be the face of the franchise. That really explains a lot actually. It also confirms what Ive thought about the "team first" focus really being "its about McDaniels."
I caught that too. Ellis was careful how he phrased it as being a team decision, but that's a bit odd considering that Bowlen originally stated AFTER hiring McDaniels that they wouldn't be making any front office changes...then he abruptly fires the Goodmans days later. It's obvious from the Ellis interview that they had this idea of hiring a GM that McD was comfortable with from the start...unless of course you buy the far fetched idea that this wasn't talked about in the beginning and Bowlen didn't find out till after he hired Josh...which I don't.
Quote:
Another thread of reasoning that I found a little batty was to say they were blown away by McDaniels run down how he attacked Denvers defense. What coach who had played Denver, wouldnt be able to do that?
None of them...obviously. I'm pretty sure 90% of the posters in here could have talked about how to attack this defense. That was hardly a secret.

The team might not be happy about the market share they achieved in terms of fan buy-in for their version of the story, but that has a lot more to do with credibility issues than it does the team not being able to "get their story out." That's the kind of statement that just irritates me for some reason.

That said...camp is here and it's time to let all this stuff go and focus on how the team's doing on the field.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #11
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis
 
Hulamau's Avatar
 
In the Pocket

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hulaville and Sedona
Posts: 9,020

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Funny...I've heard just as many media pundits speculating that it was Cutler's fault. In any case, this "we couldn't get our story out" nonsense is laughable. Bowlen's letter to the fans proves they did get it out.

If they couldn't get it out, why is most of this board convinced Cutler was the one at fault?
Ellis is talking about the frustration BEFORE the trade and shortly after the initial Cutler melt down up, where it was all Cook/Cutler and the media and while the team was in 'no comment' mode trying to prevent the issue from blowing up bigger than it had to be ... trying to settle things behind closed doors while Cook and Cutler saw this as the prime opportunity to pry his way out of town.

Most of the board recognized that the facts of the issue were pretty clear and had enough common sense to see through the dog and pony show Cook and Cutler were spinning.

Bottom line is, regardless of how the issue supposedly started, McD and the Broncos made every effort they should have, privately and publicly with McD doing everything put donning Cutler's jersey and giving his balls a Brazilian wax job in front of the national press while insisting over and over that Cutler was our QB, in an effort to mend the fences and get Jay back in the fold.

It was Jay Cutler, and him alone, that axed his own way out of town with his immature and petulant behavior toward Pat Bowlen .. period!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Ellis is talking about the frustration BEFORE the trade and shortly after the initial Cutler melt down up, where it was all Cook/Cutler and the media and while the team was in 'no comment' mode trying to prevent the issue from blowing up bigger than it had to be ... trying to settle things behind closed doors while Cook and Cutler saw this as the prime opportunity to pry his way out of town.

Most of the board recognized that the facts of the issue were pretty clear and had enough common sense to see through the dog and pony show Cook and Cutler were spinning.

Bottom line is, regardless of how the issue supposedly started, McD and the Broncos made every effort they should have, privately and publicly with McD doing everything put donning Cutler's jersey and giving his balls a Brazilian wax job in front of the national press while insisting over and over that Cutler was our QB, in an effort to mend the fences and get Jay back in the fold.

It was Jay Cutler, and him alone, that axed his own way out of town with his immature and petulant behavior toward Pat Bowlen .. period!
Youre naive.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,268

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Youre naive.
So says the Mane's chronic whiner. Do you ever stop??
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
broncofan2438
Faneco this...
 
broncofan2438's Avatar
 
LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Posts: 6,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER
Default

Screw Cutler
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Youre naive.
You're right, the Broncos' entire Organization was focused on getting rid of Jay Cutler. You're so astute.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Ellis is talking about the frustration BEFORE the trade and shortly after the initial Cutler melt down up, where it was all Cook/Cutler and the media and while the team was in 'no comment' mode trying to prevent the issue from blowing up bigger than it had to be ... trying to settle things behind closed doors while Cook and Cutler saw this as the prime opportunity to pry his way out of town.

Most of the board recognized that the facts of the issue were pretty clear and had enough common sense to see through the dog and pony show Cook and Cutler were spinning.

Bottom line is, regardless of how the issue supposedly started, McD and the Broncos made every effort they should have, privately and publicly with McD doing everything put donning Cutler's jersey and giving his balls a Brazilian wax job in front of the national press while insisting over and over that Cutler was our QB, in an effort to mend the fences and get Jay back in the fold.

It was Jay Cutler, and him alone, that axed his own way out of town with his immature and petulant behavior toward Pat Bowlen .. period!
So Ellis is frustrated that the team didn't get their 'no comment' comment out? It seemed obvious to me that the team was busy not saying anything at the time so I think they got that message out just fine.

I still don't get why Bowlen interfered. Every indication was that Cutler would report to minicamp and everybody would take it from there.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #17
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

Joe Ellis is the person running the broncos and IMO all the big thing go though him not the owner sure bowlen can override him but most of what we see this year is Joe Ellis
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #18
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

come on **** not this again ...
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I still don't get why Bowlen interfered.
I think you can question whether or not he acted too rashly or correctly but I don't know that you should question why he acted. His starting QB was complaining to the press, selling his local real estate, and not communicating with the organization. Bowlen wanted to talk to his QB and Cutler wouldn't cooperate. I think it's pretty clear why he got involved.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovolution View Post
good interview. Ellis stands by the fact that the Broncos did everything in their power to try to reason with Jay Cutler.
They did nothing .They never wanted Cutler ! come on this is getting old 3 days before Cutler was to report wam traded....hmmmmmm

tell me this how come Marshal is still on the team we held the cards with him right, but not so with Cutler ..lol
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
tell me this how come Marshal is still on the team
Because he has very little trade value right now. They can't get nearly what he's potentially worth.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #22
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,173

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
You're right, the Broncos' entire Organization was focused on getting rid of Jay Cutler. You're so astute.
......rep.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I think you can question whether or not he acted too rashly or correctly but I don't know that you should question why he acted. His starting QB was complaining to the press, selling his local real estate, and not communicating with the organization. Bowlen wanted to talk to his QB and Cutler wouldn't cooperate. I think it's pretty clear why he got involved.
I still don't see it. Cutler said he would be there for mandatory minicamp, Mcdaniels said I will take care of this, Xanders didn't say anything. Why not leave it at that and let the football people handle the football? Bowlen wasn't involved to my knowledge in any effort to trade for Cassel, he wasn't directly involved in the early talks between Cutler and Mcdaniels.

All of a sudden he got cold feet and jumped the gun.

The questions is exactly why he acted, if you don't question why he did something you can't question the timing.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #24
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,796

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
I dont like this guy.
NEWSFLASH! Lex doesn't like someone in the Bronco's organization.

Coming up at 11: Water is wet!
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #25
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Because he has very little trade value right now. They can't get nearly what he's potentially worth.
what ever that is not the point the point is simple the Broncos never wanted cutler . simple you can talk all the BS you like it is simple McD seen Cutler quit the second half of the NE game and that is the reason Cutler is a Bear .
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Denver Broncos