The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default 8/3 PM Report: SoCal, Buff, Montrose, 24champ

This format will be slightly different for me. I won't break it down positionally, rather, by some of the main periods they devoted to the practice.

I. EARLY PRACTICE DRILLS
Practice began mainly with more emphasis on punt coverage drills, basically doing everything in slow-mo to emphasize lane integrity etc. The QB's then worked on throwing to stationary targets.

We saw a return of OSKIE's "Dave Campo" drill where the coach bounces the ball and the defender has to either recover the fumble on the bounce or keep it in bounds. They were doing alot of specific coaching in this drill. I think the coach indicated that the players had to "bend their knees like a shortstop".

The team also worked on a bag drill for the QBs. The purpose appeared to be simulating contact in the pocket, getting the QB to 1) maintain possession in the face of a crumbling pocket 2) step up and 3) keep eyes downfield. The QBs appeared to do a nice job in this drill, although on one occasion Kyle lost the ball.

II. INDIVIDUAL OL V. DL ONE ON ONE'S

We have done this in the past and its been useful as it provides a nice indication of the strengths and weaknesses of each player by focusing everyone on them. I'm not going to summarize the drills because there were many players involved and many different matchups, so I will just list below my verbatim notes on each play that I observed:

1. Hamilton abused by Fields.
2. McBean initially got past Kuper, but he recovered and adjusted position well to wall off defender.
3. Harris stoned Reid.
4. Polumbus got hands on defender (couldn't tell who it was) early and stopped the rush.
5. Doom attempted a bullrush with limited success (couldn't tell who the OL was).
6. Marcus powered his way by McChesney.
7. Powell was effectively tied up with Lichtensteiger. Powell appears to get too engaged with the OL rather than trying to get past him.
8. Askew flat out beat 61 (M. Erickson).
9. Gorin with a clear hold on Crowder.
10. Gorin rebounded against R. Davis, but Davis had a nice spin move, nonetheless.
11. Pat Murray (72) got completely pushed back into the pocket by J'Vonne Parker.
12. McChesney held up well against Chris Baker. Did not give up much ground.
13. Clady kept Crowder from getting around him, but it wasn't a clean win. He did give a little bit of ground.
14. Fields destroyed Hamilton again (Note: This reflects Ben's historical problems with larger DTs).
15. McBean was able to get some push against Kuper.
16. Elvis got around Harris.

III. LIVE KICK RETURNS

They utilized McKinley, Smith and Royal. Royal should great speed and moves. He's a natural in finding seams. The best return of the afternoon was by McKinley, however.

IV. 7 on 7's

They are utilizing Royal alot on shallow crosses. Lamont Jordan did little to help himself in this drill by fumbling. Putzier also dropped a pass. Royal had a great catch in the back of the endzone. Generally, I thought the QB's in this period of practice were hesitant and held onto the ball too long. This was common for all of them. Scheffler made a really nice impact in this portion of practice, hauling in several balls. There was only a single play in the segment were there was clear miscommunication (Orton threw a pass with no one in the area).

V. 11 on 11s

They did alot of mixing and matching using players from different strings (1st, 2nd, 3rd) playing together. Nate Swift continues to make a case. He bobbled a ball but had the concentration to hold onto it. This isn't a bad kid. He might stick on the practice squad at least. McKinley also had a sweet grab in traffic. Lamont Jordan was hurt in this portion and was helped off the field. We weren't completely sure what happened, but it appeared that he may have fell on the ball. Woodyard returned to this practice, although he had a difficult time covering Buckhalter on short routes (as did all the LBs).

Stokley also made a return in the evening and made a number of catches on rollout plays. He did have one notable drop, however. There was still no sign of Marshall out there. We observed that the rookie OL Olsen was getting some time with the 1's, which was impressive, although as noted above, they were doing a good deal of mixing and matching. I have to say that Buckhalter continues to impress. He does a great job accelerating to the outside. In addition, he is effective on taking draws from the shotgun. He can read the open gaps well on those draws and find a crease. Scheffler continued his strong practice in this period, with a sliding catch on a Simms pass.

When the 11 on 11 period shifted to 1st O vs. 1st Nickel D, we observed that Doom beat Harris cleanly. Someone commented in response to my morning report re: whether Barrett was used as a LB in the nickel and I tried to focus on that this evening. I did see him lined up in what essentially looked like a LB stance, however, often times when the SS is supposed to cover the TE, it does have a tendency to look that way.

24champ made a very interesting observation re: Orton. He observed that Orton seemed to have this tendency, at least on one play in question, to leave the pocket, even without pressure. On that specific play, this resulted in him basically running into Darrell Reid, unnecessarily. Otherwise, Orton was fairly good. One thing we were surprised to see was Hillis get rocked. On one play McBean stopped him dead in his tracks. That happens about once in every blue moon. I know we've been ragging on McBean but he had a better practice this evening than any of the prior couple practices I've seen.

Our rookie CB Alphonso Smith again showed good closing ability coming very very close to a pick, but it got bobbled by him and then also McBath on the way to being an incompletion.

VI. KICKING GAME

They allowed Prater to kick about 7 field goals in game conditions. By our count, he missed 2. They also ran a fake FG with Colquitt (the holder) running for a first down.

BRING BACK BUTCH

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 08-03-2009 at 07:43 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Boss Man
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

thanks folk. did Ayers peek his mug out there anywhere?
Boss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

SoCal, what are your thoughts on how the team is going to be? Better/Worse then you thought before coming to TC?
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Man View Post
thanks folk. did Ayers peek his mug out there anywhere?
I think Doug said he was doing conditioning, although I didn't see him.

BRING BACK BUTCH
Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Ayers was lifting weights as well as running a little.

Does anyone know when the first cuts take place? I have a feeling Jordan is gonna be on that list.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Great job. Thanks!
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
SoCal, what are your thoughts on how the team is going to be? Better/Worse then you thought before coming to TC?
I don't really know. It is hard to determine how good or bad we are because we are practicing against each other. There have surely been positives out there and also several weaknesses, as anticipated. I still suspect we're going to have some relatively significant struggles, but I've learned to stay out of the "predict based on camp" business.

BRING BACK BUTCH
Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
sutoazul
Independently Owned

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Thanks!! great job guys!! Keep them comming... you guys are living the live we all want. Wish I could be there watching Broncos playing..eerrrr practicing. )
sutoazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Great Job Cal! So are you starting to turn?
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Dude. we are going to be good and soon
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Dude. we are going to be good and soon
You would be happy to know that after practice, it was the WR's turn to sign autographs and EVERYONE was congregating around your Hokie Royal and chanting his name like he was a rock star.

Everyone loves Eddie.

BRING BACK BUTCH
Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Was Olive Garden closed for dinner?
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Great Job Cal! So are you starting to turn?
Starting to turn? Not really. I still wish we had Jay and I still dislike Bowlen and McDaniels. Now, there have been some things that I have been encouraged by at camp. There has been some growth in some players that are important to our success and I enjoyed seeing that. There are still alot of things that I have grave doubts over (positions on the field and the team generally), but like most teams, we have some strengths and some flaws. Hopefully, when Ayers and Moreno get in there, they'll be able to help us out even more. I wouldn't say that I'm "turning" at all in terms of becoming a pro-new regime person. I'm still a "widow" (as Popps likes to call it) and I still don't like the guys at the top.

I am happy that we're making some progress at some of positions, though. I am trying to be as objective as possible.

BRING BACK BUTCH
Old 08-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Here is my take on what i saw. ....

So my first TC. I got off work and headed up there as fast as i could. Got their at like 615 or 630 and i had no place to stand or sit. So this and nowhere near what the OM guys got, but atleast its something. Also i didnt have a numebrs list, so some of the players might be messed up. I had to go off memory.

I tried to concentrate on the qbs, rbs,wr, phonz,jmfw, crowder, and returners.

QBs- Didnt get to see them much. But i did see some good 11 on 11. Orton definitley is the starter. Simms is ok, but looks imo to be forcing things to much. Not really the passes just hasnt settled in.

Orton had some nice throws and nice reads. He had a few rainbow passes to the back of the endzone. I think he completed on or two. There was one right infront of me where the timing was perfect. The WR cut in towards the middle and Klye went to his second read and floated the ball to what looked like nowhere. Then the WR came out of his cut and just missed the ball. Had it been someone taller like marshall an easy 6 pts. I didnt see the WR he just missed it.

Orton does have nice touch on the ball. No bullets like Jay though. There was one play where he threw across his body and across the field. I thought pick 6 as soon as i saw it, but some Scheff made the grab. In real life against a #1 or #2 CB that would have been picked. Simms had an almost identical play and his was deflected and almost picked too.

Other than that the Qbs did well, had some nice converts on tds in the redzone and if not got the ball within 2 yards of the goaline. (clean up duty for hillis).

RB- I think we all know i like Jordan, and dont like Buckhalter. UNfortunately for me the opposite is true. Bucky is a lot slimmer than i thought, but he outplayed everyone. (there was only lamont, hillis, buck and walker <- i think). Anyways bucky was in the starting formation most of the time. He ran hard and cut quick. All the reports said he had speed to the outside, but today he was up the guy a lot. did pretty well. Jordan had one or two run plays i saw. He looked really slow. I have a bad feeling he wont make the cut. He certainly has the power and he bulldozed into the endzone. But he wasnt not impressive-sadly. Then he got hurt or the wind knocked out of him and that was it.

Bucky had one play where the DL guy ate up the play and buck made a spin cut in the backfield and then turned it into positive yardage. In real game that would have been huge. Very nice move. He also had a few catches in the flat and one sidline tip toe for about 7 yards. Not too impressive there though. the D was quick.

Hillis was in a lot of plays, but i didnt get to see him run much from my view. I did see mario hagen drop him once though. Hillis was lined up all over the place. he is a major weapon in our O.

JMFW- did good, not great he is still leading phonz in the depth chart it looks like. I dont konw how though. Not that jmfw sucks, but phonz looks real good.more on him in a sec. Jack is nimble, jack is quick, but jack will get smashed by the big guys quick. A TE- or someone broke through and would have plowed him 4 ft under had it been live. I like him, but he is a liability in support.

Phonz- reports are true about his kid. He is legit! Stalky, fast and smart. One play in particular i focused only on him. He was guarding a WR/TE right at the goalline and baited the QB into throwing the ball. Sure enough almost got the pick, instead he broke it up. He will get the pick with more experience. Other plays he was in good coverage and did well. Once or twice he got beat. But for a rookie, i am impressed. And its hard to impress me when i am evaluating talent. I think he did end up with a pick or two. He did bat some balls down if he didnt make the catch. Remember i had a horrible view all night.

Royal- is a pimp, looked good- What can i say he caught most things, made some good routes in the redzone and did a nice job returning kicks. Another place where Phonz looked really good, returning kicks. Royal is a super stud.

Crowder- He caught me eye a bunch of times. Blitzed the QB for a lights out sack. Of course they let the play keep going but simms i think would have been destroyed. Crowder also did well working solo against the line to get the the pretend QB. He is definitely going to be in the mix for us.

The rest of the DL- i was unimpressed, a few good plays here and there by peterson and fields, but people are right our DL sucks. Kuper and someone-i think rulan davis got into a little pissing match- nothing major though.

The rookie WRs and young guys- I did like Chad jackson he imo is worth hanging on to. not great but could be polished into something nice. Nate swift is ok. Someone really likes him, but i was just whatever with him. He did stay late though to practice returning kicks. I like that extra effort.

There is one guy Cj jones. Like the name, but he is toast. As if we didnt already know that. I did not like how he ran, or cought the ball. I especially did not like his feet on fielding punts from the jugs machine. He stayed after to work on things, and thats where i saw him, but his footwork on fielding the punts was poor. He did this little stutter step thing- its not going to work.

David burton was out there too, he is bigger than i thought.

Oh- they had Barrett at LB a fair amount. At first i was like who the hell is this guy. But he did alrght. He is big enough and fast enough to play there- might be a nice wrinkle for the defense to get big and fast on the field at the same time, while still keeping smart Safties back.

The Defense i noticed did little Bump or press coverage. Woodyard did one one play but then got beat. He almost recovered to make the diving tackle but whiffed. However WW didnt look to hampered with the knee brace thing.

Thats all for me. Tomorrow i will try to go and get a better spot.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #15
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Very good job SoCal and Underrated as well... Thank you to all of you for today's reports!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Good job guys.

When are the first rounds of cuts? Also do we scrimmage someone this year like we did Dallas?
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

I agree with OSKIE...great work. I will be at camp at the end of next week, but know I can not do as good of a job as you guys.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Thanks for the report, good work.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #19
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

EVENING PRACTICE - Monday August 3

*** BroncoDoug arrived first this evening and saw Robert Ayers on the turf filed, taking what appeared to be his conditioning test. The test ended before SoCal montrose and I arrived, so we had our eyes peeled for any sight of him, but alas he did not appear. One practice tomorrow, 2:30 pm Mountain time ... that will probably be our first look at Ayers. I'll definitley get some pics, and we'll watch him closely.

Returning to the field tonight after taking the morning off were Brandon Stokley, Wesley Woodyard, Brian Dawkins and Correll Buckhalter. Missing were Daniel Graham, Ryan Torain and Casey Weigmann.

BULLET POINTS

Top personnel news was that, with Weigmann out of the evening session, rookie Seth Olsen was elevated to first team O-line. Hamilton moved over to center and Olsen slotted in at LG. They didn't rotate anybody else in, Olsen was it. He looks like a pillar of granite there, a very big kid. I'm not sure Hamilton has to worry just yet, but they do like the young Hawkeye.

1 on 1 full contact O-line vs. D-line
  • Carlton Powell continued to impress, as he swim-moved past Lichtensteiger, ripping Kory's helmet off as he went by.
  • Matthias Askew also continued to look good, he spun past Blake Schleuter with no problem
  • Tyler Polumbus stoned Elvis Dumervil cleanly
  • Matt McChesney stopped Chris Baker
  • Clint Oldenberg failry stopped Darrell Reid
  • Ryan McBean actually beat Chris Kuper
  • Moments later, Rulon Davis also went passed Kuper, prompting a heated shoving match between them. Ryan Clady stepped in and calmly separated the two, which was a sight to see. Clady basically grabbed each one by their helmets and spread his arms to separate them.
  • Elvis Dumervil took a wide berth, leaving Ryan Harris behind - ruled a sack
  • Rulon Davis also swung wide and beat Tyler Polumbus
  • Kory Lichtensteiger bulled Ryan McBean away from the ball

In kickoff drills, Royal coninued to shine, he appears to take KO returns very seriously. Kenny McKinley's speed is not remarkable, but he makes good cuts and accelerates quickly toward seams in the wedge. Alphonso Smith had an impressive burst through a seam as well.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 08-03-2009 at 10:01 PM..
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Thanks Buff, Clady is so strong, that must of been something to see!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #21
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

nevermind- only that one afternoon practice. Got to work. Not that my reports are up to par set here. But another set of eyes and input is always good.

Please boys. Keep up the good reporting. I will be patiently waiting to read some good stuff when i get home from work.

If all possible please give ayers a little extra eye. I really want to know how he looks.

Thanks gents.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #22
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

McPoopypants laughing.

Oskie drill.

1-1 lineman drills.

1-1 lineman drills

Yeah...pretty tough getting around Clady
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #23
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Is it Cladys feet that makes him so hard to get around?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #24
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Mckinley just before a pass to him.

Chad Jackson before a lob thrown to him.

Doom was acknowledging Montrose.

Gaffney after the catch.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #25
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post

[This caption censored by the Broncos Press Office]