The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default 2 back formations?

for those of you in camp - I know that Hillis has been getting some reps @ tailback. Does it look like he will get any action @ FB? Will we even run many plays w/ 2 backs in the backfield?

Seems to me that Hillis's best chance to contribute this year is in a 2 back set, and if I'm McD, I'd make sure that happens.
mwill07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

McD said they don't run many 2 back sets in the interview today...
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Abqbronco
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
Yeah, but McD is a confirmed liar and as such will exclusively run 2 back sets every single down this year. Mark it down... You heard it here first.
Abqbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

What the camp reporters have not clued you in about is the monster they got in that formation. Aside from the greatness of Hillis they have the Tank ( backup punter from last year) who is going create holes the size of texas. He is the ultimate weapon of weapons. Be prepared. They havent mentioned him yet because he hasnt come off the bench after eating all the donuts.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abqbronco View Post
Yeah, but McD is a confirmed liar and as such will exclusively run 2 back sets every single down this year. Mark it down... You heard it here first.
No I didn't, I heard it from all the Jay groupies that beat off to him every night before bed.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

McD lies, Jay Culter lies, Bowlen lies. Who cares.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

mods> any way that any mention of a particular bears qb gets that post sent directly to some purgatory forum? Maybe set up the auto-filter to change "cutler" to "bears QB"?

the c-word is out of control here.

TIA
Old 08-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
that's what I remember reading about him...any hope that he comes around?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Actually, I think McD said they will employ the 2 back set...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

one thing i am curious with Hillis is if he is being lined up as a receiver, slot guy or TE, or is he just exclusively coming out of the backfield?

because with the not running a lot of 2-Back sets it seems more likely that Hillis would be lined up out of the backfield, but i haven't heard anything about that yet
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
one thing i am curious with Hillis is if he is being lined up as a receiver, slot guy or TE, or is he just exclusively coming out of the backfield?

because with the not running a lot of 2-Back sets it seems more likely that Hillis would be lined up out of the backfield, but i haven't heard anything about that yet
I'm curious about this as well. Will they be motioning him in or out of the backfield, or will he be primarily be lining up at TE or out wide when not the RB.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Supposedly McD's strength is utilizing the talent to fit the system and changing things up from week to week, so if that's true he'd be crazy to leave Hillis on the bench as nothing more than a backup RB (assuming Moreno starts) because this guy's just to versatile and talented not to be on the field.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

well, the other thing he could do is bring Hillis in situationally and spell Moreno, RBBC style - 3rd & short, goal line, etc

That might have some merit as Hillis would come in well rested, but I think I'd be a little disappointed if he didn't have a bigger role than that.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
well, the other thing he could do is bring Hillis in situationally and spell Moreno, RBBC style - 3rd & short, goal line, etc

That might have some merit as Hillis would come in well rested, but I think I'd be a little disappointed if he didn't have a bigger role than that.
I'd like to see Hillis in a role with about 12 carries and 5 catches a game. It just seems a shame not to have him and Moreno on the field at the same time.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #15
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Hillis is indeed the starting Fullback, and they did run two back sets a few times in camp today, with an offset I formation. Hillis and Buckhalter... Devastation followed as imagined....
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_Doug View Post
Hillis is indeed the starting Fullback, and they did run two back sets a few times in camp today, with an offset I formation. Hillis and Buckhalter... Devastation followed as imagined....
the 2-back set i want to see is Larsen at FB and Hillis at TB. imagine the carnage that would ensue on that run

in fact if i was calling the shots, that would be my goal line lineup. Graham and Quinn in as blocking TE, Marshall out wide, for the option to possibly pass, and our 2 badass FBs knocking dudes through the turf
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 AM   #17
Caveat Lector
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
the 2-back set i want to see is Larsen at FB and Hillis at TB. imagine the carnage that would ensue on that run

in fact if i was calling the shots, that would be my goal line lineup. Graham and Quinn in as blocking TE, Marshall out wide, for the option to possibly pass, and our 2 badass FBs knocking dudes through the turf

That's a hell of a lot of beef coming at you right there.

Unfortunately if Jordan is still around, I envision him as the goal line tail back, with Hillis as the blocker/swing man ala Kevin Faulk...
Caveat Lector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:55 AM   #18
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

They have been using some 2-back sets with Hillis at FB (as well as Larsen). They've also split Hillis out wide. The formations most used in camp thus far have been (in order):

1) 2 TE's (Graham and Scheffler), 2 WR's (Gaffney and Royal) and 1 RB (Jordan/Buckhalter/Hillis)
2) 1 TE (Graham), 3 WR's (Gaffney, Royal and Stokley) and 1 RB (Jordan/Buckhalter/Hillis)
3) 1 TE (Graham), 2 WR's (Gaffney and Royal) and 2 RB's (Jordan/Buckhalter and Hillis)
4) 1 FB/TE Split Wide (Hillis/Scheffler), 3 WR's (Gaffney, Royal and Stokley) and 1 RB (Jordan/Buckhalter)
5) 2 TE's (Graham and Scheffler), 1 WR (Gaffney) and 2 RB's (Jordan/Buckhalter and Hillis)
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #19
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

montrose> thanks. Perfect info.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 AM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
for those of you in camp - I know that Hillis has been getting some reps @ tailback. Does it look like he will get any action @ FB? Will we even run many plays w/ 2 backs in the backfield?

Seems to me that Hillis's best chance to contribute this year is in a 2 back set, and if I'm McD, I'd make sure that happens.
I pointed out the one time I've seen it during camp to SoCal on Sunday Morning. It was a two TE, one WR, two back set. The put a TE in motion if memory serves and it ended up being a pass. Lamont Jordan was at RB and Hillis at FB. Scheff and Graham the TEs. Stokely the WR... I think. Anyhow, I remember it b/c I said that it was an interesting formation to throw form.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I'd like to see Hillis in a role with about 12 carries and 5 catches a game. It just seems a shame not to have him and Moreno on the field at the same time.
This is where I'm at too. I don't think it will be quite that many touches, but 8 carries and 4 catches would do the trick. Oh, and I don't think we're gonna have to worry about Hillis seeing the field. They can put him at WR and he would do well. The kid is just phenomenal.

I know there was a long article about him and Nutt from their Arkansas days. I didn't read it, can anybody give me the cliff notes version? Seems like it was saying that he was a bad kid or something... I've seen nothing but a good, god fearing, superb athlete myself.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote