The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Default Cassel Ruined payscale for QBs

Weren't sure about Orton

General manager Jerry Angelo raised a lot of eyebrows at the end of last season when he said, in effect, that the Bears didn't know exactly what they had in Kyle Orton. If Orton had remained with the Bears -- instead of being traded to the Broncos with two first-round picks for Cutler -- it's possible the team still might not have had a definitive judgment on him by the end of this upcoming season. Then what do you do? Let him go in a quarterback-challenged league or overpay him because there weren't a lot of options?

The Bears already have made the decision to give Cutler a big-money, long-term deal. You don't trade for a player such as Cutler -- and pay the price the Bears did -- unless you are going to keep him around for a long time.

Now the Broncos will have to figure out what they have in Orton and whether they want to keep him around.

The price for quarterbacks has risen dramatically in the last year, in large part because of the curious case of Matt Cassel. Cassel, a seventh-round draft pick of the New England Patriots in 2005, parlayed a single season as a starter into a franchise tag before being traded to the Kansas City Chiefs, who gave him a long-term deal. Cassel received a six-year, $63 million deal that included $28 million in guaranteed money.

Cassel, Stafford drive market

Cutler still might with the Broncos were it not for Cassel -- or, more specifically, new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels' pursuit of Cassel in free agency. The Patriots put a franchise tag worth $14.65 million on Cassel, a career backup before being pressed into service when Tom Brady was lost for virtually all last season with a knee injury. The Patriots weren't going to keep Cassel and Brady, but they wanted to ensure they got something in return for Cassel. They put the franchise tag on him, then talked with McDaniels, Cassel's former position coach with the Patriots who recently had replaced Mike Shanahan as the Broncos' coach.

The Broncos' pursuit of Cassel led to the disintegration of Cutler's relationship with McDaniels and, subsequently, his trade to the Bears. The massive deal Cassel signed with the Chiefs was fueled in part by the knowledge that if they didn't get him under contract, the Broncos would be among the top bidders for him next offseason.

Throw in the massive deal the Detroit Lions gave No. 1 overall pick Matthew Stafford -- reportedly $72 million over six years, including a record $41.7 million in guaranteed money -- and you begin to get the sense that Cutler is going to get a huge payday. Stafford never has played a down in the NFL, but his guaranteed money is more than double the $20 million Eli Manning received as the top overall selection five years ago.

Cutler clearly is headed to a monster deal with the Bears. For now, though, he might be the best value in football.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't see a problem, Cassel made a name for himself & earned his payday.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I bet Cutler goes for highest paid qb ever.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

no doubt in my mind they will ask for 40 million guaranteed. Has any ever got 80 million yet over 6 yrs? I could see Cutler wanting it.

In fact now that they traded so much for him Cutler and the agent will plan to absolutely put a gun to the Bears head.

What can they do? They have to sign him.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cassel has really been so influential in the current of events that took place in 08 and 09. For starters he played so well after Brady went down with a season ending knee injury in game one of the 2008 season, there were rumors of NE considering going with Cassel and offering up to trade Brady. You add to the fact that Cassel OC then Josh McD becomes HC for the Denver Broncos, and the Broncos new HC was so enomored with Cassel that he entertained the possibility of trading for Cassel behind the back of the current Denver franchise QB. In the end Josh McD looses both Cassel and Jay Cutler and ends with a journeyman QB by the name Kyle Orton. Could things have gotten any weirder in 2009! I don't think so. Looks like in terms of paydays, both Cassell and Cutler will make out like FAT CATS and laughing all the way to the bank.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Cassel has really been so influential in the current of events that took place in 08 and 09. For starters he played so well after Brady went down with a season ending knee injury in game one of the 2008 season, there were rumors of NE considering going with Cassel and offering up to trade Brady. You add to the fact that Cassel OC then Josh McD becomes HC for the Denver Broncos, and the Broncos new HC was so enomored with Cassel that he entertained the possibility of trading for Cassel behind the back of the current Denver franchise QB. In the end Josh McD looses both Cassel and Jay Cutler and ends with a journeyman QB by the name Kyle Orton. Could things have gotten any weirder in 2009! I don't think so. Looks like in terms of paydays, both Cassell and Cutler will make out like FAT CATS and laughing all the way to the bank.

Well, Cutler was going to get paid either way. He'd still be looking for a huge payday if with Broncos', but since Chicago did give up so much for him they'll have to lock him down.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
...They put the franchise tag on him, then talked with McDaniels, Cassel's former position coach with the Patriots who recently had replaced Mike Shanahan as the Broncos' coach.

They did? What's the source of this? If true, why isn't he a Denver Bronco right now?

And where is the link for this article?

Edit: never mind, found it myself.

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/1698...y-0802.article

Last edited by TonyR; 08-03-2009 at 07:55 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
They did? What's the source of this?

Its common knowledge.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
They did? What's the source of this?

Cassel was tagged when the phone call with McDaniels took place. Thats not really in dispute.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Its common knowledge.
Assuming you're being serious, why is he a Chief right now? Did the Broncos offer less than a 2nd round pick?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Cassel was tagged when the phone call with McDaniels took place. Thats not really in dispute.
Where did you get this info? Regardless, he was tagged when traded to the Chiefs, too. What does this have to do with anything?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

I am sorry, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous that Stafford can come in and get that kinda money, or any rookie for that matter. It just blows my mind. Something is seriously wrong here. The players/agents have got this system by the balls!!
521 1N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Where did you get this info? Regardless, he was tagged when traded to the Chiefs, too. What does this have to do with anything?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3809444

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4327067

Its not hard to find. The Patriots tagged him in January and he was to be paid over 14 mil until he reached a new deal with KC.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
They put the franchise tag on him, then talked with McDaniels,
If that were the case, Cassell would be the Broncos QB.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Its not hard to find. The Patriots tagged him in January and he was to be paid over 14 mil until he reached a new deal with KC.
So how would that preclude them from trading him to Denver instead of KC? You're widely missing the point. Why was he traded to KC instead of Denver? Answer that question and stop obfuscating.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #16
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So how would that preclude them from trading him to Denver instead of KC? You're widely missing the point. Why was he traded to KC instead of Denver? Answer that question and stop obfuscating.
Quite honestly, I dont see why you have a problem with what was said. I dont really think Im the one who is "missing" something. You challenged Cassel being franchised by NE and when you found out that was true, youre moving on to something else in some weak attempt to save face.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #17
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I'm thinking the real reason the Broncos traded Cutler because they didn't want to pay Cutler that hugh contract.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
You challenged Cassel being franchised by NE...
I never questioned this. Why would I since I know this to be true? You're the one who brought up the irrelevant tag issue. What I am questioning, and have been very clearly since my very first post in this thread, is this notion that McD talked to NE about trading for Cassel. This has never been substantiated and I don't recall a single concrete reporting of this.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
What I am questioning, and have been very clearly since my very first post in this thread, is this notion that McD talked to NE about trading for Cassel. This has never been substantiated and I don't recall a single concrete reporting of this.
not to keep beating this dead horse, but McDaniels has gone on record several times as having said he "took the call." He has never denied this.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #20
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

NE screwed it up by using the franchise tag on 'Sand' Cassel

Last edited by bronco militia; 08-04-2009 at 06:57 AM..
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
...McDaniels has gone on record several times as having said he "took the call."
From NE? I've never heard specifically that NE was the caller. And again, if NE called, and McD was interested, why didn't it happen?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #22
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
From NE? I've never heard specifically that NE was the caller. And again, if NE called, and McD was interested, why didn't it happen?
Ah, now I see where you are going with this. I wasn't looking at it from that angle, and I believe you are right about that part. Unless I'm mistaken as well, the call in question was always reported as having originated from a third team, NOT the Pats.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken as well, the call in question was always reported as having originated from a third team, NOT the Pats.
We agree. Yes, that's what I was questioning. The article in the OP specifically says they franchised Cassel and then talked to McD/Denver. I've never heard that before and the article stated it matter of factly.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #24
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Ah, now I see where you are going with this. I wasn't looking at it from that angle, and I believe you are right about that part. Unless I'm mistaken as well, the call in question was always reported as having originated from a third team, NOT the Pats.
Tampa was credited with the call. Not sure if that's accurate.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #25
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
For starters he played so well after Brady went down with a season ending knee injury in game one of the 2008 season, there were rumors of NE considering going with Cassel and offering up to trade Brady.
Well those were just rumors. I bet that discussion never came up with the Pats front office.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote