The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default 8/3 AM Report SoCal, BroncoBuff, Montrose et al.

Alright....we're back.

Reports to follow.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Well so far this thread has been a let down.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Que Jeopardy music...

P.S. Thanks alot guys

Last edited by LonghornBronco; 08-03-2009 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: I suck at spell'in errrr...
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

crickets....
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

BRING IT!
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

They're going to lose reports with the Mane going down... guaranteed someone loses their report.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

I'm digging the foreplay....but my labes are swollen and soaked so hurry it up already.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
They're going to lose reports with the Mane going down... guaranteed someone loses their report.
not if they write it up on word first
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
yeah, cuz i am new here i am sure you have all gone over it. But ive seen you guys at our site a fair amount when this happens... but why does the server or whatever keep going down here?

Seems to happen a lot..?
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
not if they write it up on word first
I know...right.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I. QUARTERBACKS- I thought Orton was clearly better than Simms, today. In the early going at practice, the team worked on red zone routes vs. air and Orton was able to hit several WR's in stride. The team played a little more 11 on 11 than the previous practices, which was nice. Orton showed some decent accuracy, especially on a wheel route to Peyton Hillis that was a sure TD except for Larsen breaking it up at the last second, although he did miss Royal throwing behind him on a slant pass and overthrowing a deep PA pass. Overall, he did a nice job for himself. Simms had alot of issues, today. He was intercepted by Bailey in team drills and made a number of mistakes. Among his few highlights was a nice throw to Gaffney on a deep corner route. Brandstater is still well behind the curve and had today's center exchange problem.

II. RUNNING BACKS- Hillis looked fabulous in the passing and running game. When the team had 9 on 9 run drills, Hillis was able to truck through the starting defense on several occasions. Not only is he a beast, he also continues to display good vision in tight spaces. Hillis was also noteworthy for picking today's music, as it was almost completely country music, much to the chagrin of several of his teammates. Lamont Jordan did not show a whole lot of pop this morning. 24champ believes he might get cut, although I'm not sure I would go that far, given his experience. I didn't see much of Buckhalter out there, not sure if he had a problem or what.

III. WIDE RECIEVERS- The most notable news today was that Marshall as well as Stokley did not participate. Not surprisingly, the top unit was once again Royal and Gaffney. Gaffney is a pretty steady target in this offense and he'll definitely have a solid role as the No. 3 this year. They continue to work on screens emphasizing Royal. Royal displays good evasiveness after catching the quick screen, almost always picking the right lane to get up the field after the catch. Royal also made a nice catch while falling to the ground.

IV. TIGHT ENDS- Scheffler had a couple grabs but still did not get a whole lot of work out there. He did have one noticeable drop in the Routes on Air section of practice. The offense doesn't appear to feature TE's in the passing game alot, however, the team did utilize several 2 TE sets today in the run game. Did not notice Graham, Quinn or Putzier that much, either.

V. OFFENSIVE LINE- The first string line continues to perform steadily, although the defensive front did a better job against them in the run game when Hillis wasn't in there. Thomas, R. Davis and others were able to create some havoc in that area against the 2nd teamers. Polumbus got owned by J'Vonne Parker a few times.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

It sounds like the opening day line is going to be Peterson, Fields, Thomas. Do you agree?
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Thanks for the report, sucks we cant hear more of Marshall and Smith going at it.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
minibronco
KFFL Writer/Fantasy Scout

Defense: 11 Strong

thank you!
minibronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I'll throw in my 2 cents here on a few things I saw, as I'm sure SoCal, Montrose, and Buff will have much better write ups...

Hillis is a man on a mission this training camp, he is going to force himself on the field at all costs!

QB: Orton did look good, but I want to see him with a full compliment of WR. As stated Marshall and Stokely were both out, so Chad Jackson got a lot of reps. Simms had a bad day, he was off on most of his throws, and Champ made a nice play on a fade to the End zone to pick it off, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tom B. take over the backup before the year is over....

RB: Hillis was the man today, starting with him picking the stretching music, all country, to much the other players chagrin. And finishing with his usual run you over style, he also had a nice run to the out side, out running the OLBs before being caught by Bell in the secondary. Lamont Jordan took a lot of first team snaps, but was vastly outplayed by Hillis all day. Darius Walker had some nice moves in 1 on 1's including juking Griesen the LB so bad that he had to be carted off...

OL: The first team OL looked dominate against our first team DL for the most part. Not sure if that's good or bad?

I don't really have a whole lot on the other positions, but look for SoCal, Montrose, Buff, and 24champ to give a lot of good info...

Some Pics:

Champ TFTP...haha

Last edited by BroncoDoug; 08-03-2009 at 02:42 PM..
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

VI. DEFENSIVE LINE- Thomas had another productive day. He made some plays vs. the run and also pressured the passer. I suspect he's moving up on the chart and is on his way to becoming one of the starting ends. Thomas had a would be sack and also a TFL. J'Vonne Parker stood out as he made Polumbus his biatch a few times. Did not notice Powell but Montrose was of the view that he was doing well. Rulon Davis made some noise against the backups. We continue to see very little from McBean.

VII. LINEBACKERS- Reid and Crowder both did a nice job today. Crowder continues to be a force in the run game and Reid also got some pressure in pass situations. I did not notice Dumervil as much, however. It was previously reported that Moss would return to practice today, but we saw no sign of him. 24champ said he's TRTP (Too Retired to Play ). Backup LB Nick Greisen whiffed on a one on one tackle in a drill and appeared to suffer a significant injury as a result. Rookie LB Lee Robinson made a nice play in the run game. For some reason, Wesley Woodyard was not out there, today. The starting ILB's made more of an impact today. In the 9 on 9 run drill, DJ stopped the RB for a short gain, although he did miss a tackle later in the 9 on 9s. In the red zone passing drills, he deflected a pass on a post route that he got good depth on, he almost intercepted it, but couldn't quite hold on to it. Andra Davis had a nice TFL. Larsen did a very job nice job vs. the run on the 2nd team and also closed well on shallow cross routes beneath him.

VIII. DEFENSIVE BACKS- Dawkins did not practice this morning. We noticed Bruton was getting a good amount of practice time with the would be starters, as well as JMFW on occasion. Champ Bailey appears to be getting back into the groove, as he picked off Simms on a sideline route. Alphonso Smith continues to get alot of reps, at times as the starting nickel (altho JMFW did as well). Montrose loves this kid. I mean its like Khan and Chris Kuper or me and DJ, except multiply the love by 10 times. . Did not notice Barrett as much today as I did yesterday, or Darnel McBath.

IX. SPECIAL TEAMS- The team spent some time on punting drills at the outset. They were using Royal as well as Smith back there, although they didn't really allow returns. They were more concerned with coverage units. We did get a good comparison of the punters. Brett Kern appears to be holding onto his job pretty well. He's getting good hang time. Colquitt had a shank and was just definitely a cut below Kern.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
It sounds like the opening day line is going to be Peterson, Fields, Thomas. Do you agree?
That's very possible, although Powell might be able to unseat Peterson.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
but why does the server or whatever keep going down here?
Cause none of the female posters will.....
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #19
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

this thread is useless without pictures!
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
this thread is useless without pictures!
Scroll up...
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Champ...making plays...dude needs to step up.

Time to call out #24, eh wolf? Next!
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #22
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Thanks Guys! Great work.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
That's very possible, although Powell might be able to unseat Peterson.
i dont think the starting dline is super important, the rotations are however. the starters will see more reps but i dont think its as important as say the starting oline, its the depth and rotations that are important..
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #24
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

SoCal and Doug hit most of my major points. Orton looked terrific in the red zone drills other than the pass behind Eddie on a slant - I mentioned to SoCal I don't like throwing quick slants out of the gun because it throws of the timing of getting the laces which is why it looked like the pass was behind Eddie. Speaking of Eddie, he was the best WR today, almost uncoverable at times. He ran a beautiful jailbreak screen for what would've been a big gain. Gaffney was solid again too. Lloyd and Jackson each dropped easy passes during the routes on air drill, however Jackson made a great leaping TD catch later - both are inconsistant but do have talent. Didn't notice much of the TE's although Graham was having a tough time with Crowder on a few plays but owned Reid at one point. Hillis was the best of the RBs today and I haven't been at all impressed with Jordan although he's been working with the 1st unit. Torain had a quiet day as well. Thus far, Hillis and Buckhalter (who didn't practice today) have been the most consistant of the backs. Hillis is showing good vision and running very hard, they're working him on screen passes and splitting him out wide - he's clearly an early favorite of McDaniels. Larsen's been throwing some nice blocks at FB too so I think we're in good shape in the backfield especially once Moreno gets signed. The OL looked pretty good although some of our bigger DL like Parker and Powell are giving them problems in the run game. At some point I was told Crowder threw a punch at Hamilton but I don't know why and it didn't boil into anything. Kuper and Hill got chippy at one point too. I'm actually liking the way our DL is coming together. Thomas blew up a few plays in the backfield while both Fields and Baker continue to do well occupying blockers and occassionally pushing back the pocket. I'm not at all impressed with McBean although he has had to battle Clady and Harris a great deal. At this point, I'd like a DL of Fields, Thomas and Powell with Peterson, Baker and Parker as the reserves - I'd feel quite confident in that group's ability to play competently. Both DJ and Davis played well inside, DJ was hitting the hole hard and Davis blew up a play in the backfield. Crowder continues to kiss me, and tell me that you love me away, not only at his ability to hold contain at the LOS but he just looks so fluid in coverage. In the red zone, he dropped in a hook zone - covered his man to another man then rushed Simms and forced a would-be sack. He looks like our best OLB to me. Reid had several moments getting into the backfield but was also owned by Graham and Harris a few times. He's inconsistant but does play very hard. Didn't notice much of Doom today, I maintain he's best served to be saved for 3rd down pass rushing in the nickle. Speaking of the nickle, the LBs have been DJ and Woodyard (who was out today) with a 4-man line of Reid, Thomas, Fields and Doom. The S and NB have rotated from Barrett, McBath, Bruton, Smith and Williams. I mentioned at lunch that because team's spend so much time in the nickle, I'd prefer to use a 50-front on 1st downs with Crowder and Reid at OLB then when in the nickle, go with Doom and Ayers at DE along with Thomas and Reid inside. Didn't notice much of the secondary although Bruton was getting some 1st team reps along with Barrett in place of Dawkins. Will post more this afternoon and yes, I do have a major man-crush on Smith (followed by Orton, Crowder, Powell, Parker and a slew of others) and am not afraid to say it!
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #25
Williams
Pro Bowler

Thanks for the reports SoCal & crew. Great reading, as always.

How has Chris Baker looked? He's one of the most intriguing rook prospects IMO, and I havent heard him mentioned in any of the camp reports yet.
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote