The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy
Default 08/03 Updates

- Aches and pains are starting to hit Broncos camp. Among those missing from practice are WR Brandon Stokley, S Brian Dawkins and RB Correll Buckhalter.

- There are conflicting reports on what's ailing Broncos WR Brandon Marshall. The AP says it's a hamstring while the Denver Post says it's Marshall's surgically repaired left hip. For now, the Broncos aren't saying.

- With Broncos RB Correll Buckhalter sitting out practice, Peyton Hillis got a lot of first-team reps with LaMont Jordan.

- Broncos LB Nick Greisen was carted off the field with an apparent leg injury. Greisen was signed as a free agent from Baltimore to help bolster a porous Denver defense.

- The Broncos are still awaiting the return of LB/DE Jarvis Moss, who left camp Saturday. Moss' friend and teammate Marcus Thomas said he expects Moss back Monday.
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTO View Post
- The Broncos are still awaiting the return of LB/DE Jarvis Moss, who left camp Saturday. Moss' friend and teammate Marcus Thomas said he expects Moss back Monday.
It is Monday...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

go peyton! all we wanted was for him to get a fair shot, and now that hes getting it, expect a healthy dose of moreno/hillis with a spell of buckhalter. how sick that we can run an I formation with each back equally dangerous at carrying the ball.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Hillis is a man child!!
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

While we wait for the "A Team" reports here are some twitter updates I saw just now from Cecil Lammey:

TheAudibleJay who? Orton bounces back with a good performance today after a below avg practice Sunday

TheAudiblePeyton Hillis is the best RB on this team (without Moreno), he should be the starter if Moreno holdsout too long

TheAudibleMore Hillis Over The Shoulder TD catch, more details in my practice report but anyone that can EASILY haul that in has amazing hands

TheAudible Really only one bad pass from Orton this morning, but was it U.G.L.Y. - wobbler intended for Royal in the endzone, behind him & off target
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
CoopDawg
Seasoned Veteran

McCaffrey

I really hope Marshall's hip isn't acting up, we need him to be close to 100%
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
TheAudiblePeyton Hillis is the best RB on this team (without Moreno), he should be the starter if Moreno holdsout too long

TheAudibleMore Hillis Over The Shoulder TD catch, more details in my practice report but anyone that can EASILY haul that in has amazing hands
Good Lord, I love reading this stuff about Hillis. I love that he appears to be shining in camp. I was afraid he would get lost in the shuffle with the regime change, but sounds like he's making sure that doesn't happen. If he can keep from hurting himself, he is going to be so much fun to watch the next several years. He was easily my favorite "bright spot" from last year. Such a stud.
outdoor_miner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

TheAudibleDawkins, Buckhalter, Stokley, Woodyard absent from today's practice

TheAudibleFinal tweet before Lunche~ another good day for Darius Walker, dude is trying his hardest and it shows on the field!

I heard Dawkins was out on Lombardi's radio show earlier - wonder what's up with that?
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
mx_stiles13
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post
Good Lord, I love reading this stuff about Hillis. I love that he appears to be shining in camp. I was afraid he would get lost in the shuffle with the regime change, but sounds like he's making sure that doesn't happen. If he can keep from hurting himself, he is going to be so much fun to watch the next several years. He was easily my favorite "bright spot" from last year. Such a stud.
It kind of makes you wonder if we really needed Moreno.
mx_stiles13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Regardless of how the chips fall with Moreno, Hillis and the rest of RBs with playing time ....Hillis has the best attitude of anybody on this team since Rod Smith.

He needs something special done by fans at Mile High after he get a touch to show the support of the fanbase. He is humble. Says the right things. Understands being a role player. Respects Bronco tradition with the MHS. A GREAT draft pick.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

After last year, **** yeah we needed another one. If we have to raid the T-Mobile kiosk again I'm going to be pissed.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
- Aches and pains are starting to hit Broncos camp. Among those missing from practice are WR Brandon Stokley, S Brian Dawkins and RB Correll Buckhalter.

- There are conflicting reports on what's ailing Broncos WR Brandon Marshall. The AP says it's a hamstring while the Denver Post says it's Marshall's surgically repaired left hip. For now, the Broncos aren't saying.

- With Broncos RB Correll Buckhalter sitting out practice, Peyton Hillis got a lot of first-team reps with LaMont Jordan.

- Broncos LB Nick Greisen was carted off the field with an apparent leg injury. Greisen was signed as a free agent from Baltimore to help bolster a porous Denver defense.

Pandis!
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I'm not sure anybody really appreciates how good Hillis is. I know that Josh McDaniels didn't and now that he's seeing what Peyton can do he is growing fonder and fonder of the "Power Pig".

Hillis has perhaps the best hands on the entire team. Truly, he catches the ball with ease. He is faster than you would expect and powerful to boot. His running style wouldn't last for 16 games as the primary guy though. He just likes contact too much. But, if you get this guy on the field and give him 10-12 touches a game, he's going to score double digit TDs and have about 800 yards of total offense when the season is done. Could he get more, absolutely... but then you run the risk of not having him healthy and running over fools. The guy is a weapon that we should rein in and use wisely.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Last year when Hillis was the featured back, I felt the best about the overall offense at that point in time than I have the past couple of years. The more I think about it, the more I kind of wonder that we might actually improve our record over last year-- just from having a healthy Hillis. Not only was he a stud runner but he had the softest hands on the team. Does anyone remember that 40 something yard reception vs Miami or the crucial 1st down catch vs Atlanta? Its too bad he got hurt. This year they have the benefit of knowing how good he is, so hopefully he is well utilized.

He looks like he has trimmed down too, which makes me think he will spend time in the backfield.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
I really hope Marshall's hip isn't acting up, we need him to be close to 100%
I think he may have injured his ****!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Last year when Hillis was the featured back, I felt the best about the overall offense at that point in time than I have the past couple of years. The more I think about it, the more I kind of wonder that we might actually improve our record over last year-- just from having a healthy Hillis. Not only was he a stud runner but he had the softest hands on the team. Does anyone remember that 40 something yard reception vs Miami or the crucial 1st down catch vs Atlanta? Its too bad he got hurt. This year they have the benefit of knowing how good he is, so hopefully he is well utilized.

He looks like he has trimmed down too, which makes me think he will spend time in the backfield.
No to forget the key first down in Cle game. I not rrying to stir a controversy but if Hillis turns out to be the answer at tailback then may be .... just may be we should have gone for a some one other than Moreno with the 1st pick .....
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy

Quote:
RB LaMont Jordan said his body feels "horrible" after four days of practicing in full pads...
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
I'm not sure anybody really appreciates how good Hillis is. I know that Josh McDaniels didn't and now that he's seeing what Peyton can do he is growing fonder and fonder of the "Power Pig".

Hillis has perhaps the best hands on the entire team. Truly, he catches the ball with ease. He is faster than you would expect and powerful to boot. His running style wouldn't last for 16 games as the primary guy though. He just likes contact too much. But, if you get this guy on the field and give him 10-12 touches a game, he's going to score double digit TDs and have about 800 yards of total offense when the season is done. Could he get more, absolutely... but then you run the risk of not having him healthy and running over fools. The guy is a weapon that we should rein in and use wisely.
Very true, I cant wait for Hillis to knock meriwoman on his ass
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Re: Jordan feeling "horrible" after 4 days. That is very common. Usually these guys are beat up and sore after a couple of days. If you go and listen to Hillis' interview regarding the soreness that Moreno needs to get through you'll get a little better understanding. I asked Tim Crowder about the soreness and he said he's through it now... but he's also a lot younger than Jordan and is playing at 12-15 pounds under his normal weight.

Long story short, the soreness that Jordan is experiencing is not abnormal. It may last a little longer for him as he is a bit older and has a physical style, but it's nothing abnormal. If it were beyond abnormal he would probably be considering retirement.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'm not sure anybody really appreciates how good Hillis is.
I do! I do!!!

Quote:
I know that Josh McDaniels didn't and now that he's seeing what Peyton can do he is growing fonder and fonder of the "Power Pig".

I was one of the people arguing a few months ago that he could be a feature back in this league... But, I guess I can agree that perhaps his running style as a back would lead to injury over the course of an entire year.

His skillset is truly unique, though... I've never seen a "bulldozer" that is such a weapon in the passing game. One play, he can run someone over, and the very next make an amazing acrobatic catch. The reception he got hurt on last year vs. KC was a thing of beauty from an athletic standpoint (but a disaster for our season). I do not understand how he slipped through the cracks to the seventh round. As a fan, it has been incredibly obvious that he is a tremendous talent. Not just good... Tremendous. How did all the scouts miss that?
outdoor_miner is online now   Reply With Quote