The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default 24'sTraining Camp AM Report 8.02.09

It quickly heated up in the morning session, it got hot towards the end. I saw Montrose, and I think TrueOne at camp. Though I think Trueone got busted for using his camera. Poor fella. Also didn't have any problems with kids this morning...whoohoo!

Alright here is the rundown on the offense...

Quarterbacks-

Kyle Orton- Did not have a great day, wasn't impressing me at all. I know he made some nice throws during a QB/WR drill, but problem is there is no defenders. During the 7-7 drills he made a couple nice throws. However there was a few times in this morning session that he turned the ball over, fumbled a snap, ball got swatted away from him before he made a throw, almost threw a couple interceptions. Orton can make the short throws, but I question anything farther than that. He also needs to get rid of the ball quicker. He failed to move the offense well in the 2 minute drill.

Chris Simms- Also was not really impressive, in fact at one point he fumbled the snap and McD made him run several laps around the field. Him along with Casey Wiegmann. Simms has the best arm in camp IMO, but he overthrew the receivers a few times. Simms best moment of camp is during the 2 minute drill playing on second team, and did a decent job moving the team into FG range roughly.

Brandstater- Looked like a rookie out there, needs to get rid of the ball quicker, though I suspect that the line in front of him sucks, which is the third team guys. Also he threw a interception when Brandstater threw a deep pass. This guy is a work in progress.

Running Backs/Fullbacks-

Spencer Larsen- Not quite sure if he fumbled the ball on a carry, someone else there confirm this?, but I thought he did. Anyway he got a lot reps in as fullback today and was a total workhorse on both sides.

Ryan Torain- Best running back of the camp so far, he can cut extremely well. Doesn't look like the knee is a problem for him. He's going to make it hard on the coaches to cut him.

Peyton Hillis- Today he caught some balls very well in the backfield. I suspect that will be seen a lot in the regular season. He was his usual self as a bulldozer/tank...nobody can stop that guy.

Wide Recievers-

Jabar Gaffney- I noticed him on a few trick plays, where Orton throws the ball to Gaffney and Gaffney throws it back to Orton. Who then throws a deep pass. Looks like that play will be used a few times this season as well.

Eddie Royal- Best receiver out there today, he made some great catches, particular when he was draped by a cornerback and still made the catch.

Chad Jackson- Not very good, had a few drops in some passing drills.

Matthew Willis- Scrub, camp fodder. This guy will be a victim of the first cut. Had a lot of dropped balls.

Brandon Marshall- Didn't notice him much out there. Now I find out that he walked off in pain. not a good thing.

Tight Ends-

Tight ends weren't catching a lot of balls, seemed that the emphasis is on blocking so far in my observations from camp. Quinn seems to be overpowered a couple times, Graham looks fine. Didn't notice scheffler on plays. Again not a lot of balls to the TE's.

Offensive Line-

As noted before, Casey Wiegmann had to run around the field for a botched snap with Chris Simms. Seemed like there was few botched snaps today in this morning session. Not sure if it is a timing issue or what. I'm still worried about the depth of the line, first team OL looked ok today. Polumbus was the only backup I really noticed that did well. It either seemed that the QB held the ball too long or the line is getting beat. Hard to say.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

thanks for the info 24...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

yep! nice update
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Thanks! Can't wait to see this guys play. Eddie is going to have a monster of a year. Hillis too.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Rundown on the defense...

Secondary-

Champ Bailey- I watched him a lot during this AM session to see if the reports were really true that he was TFTP...unfortunately those reports are true. I am pissed, he seemed to be a step slow, particularly with the backpedaling drills. I'm not worried about Champ come opening day, but it is unfortunate he came into camp a little out of shape.

Renaldo Hill- Remember the trick play I told you guys about between Orton and Gaffney? Well the intended reciever was wide open and Hill chased him down to swat it away. If it wasn't for that, it would be a TD easily.

Brian Dawkins- Almost had a pick off of Orton on the 11 vs 11 drills, as a result of the missed interception. He did a few pushups and the crowd cheered. I think he has good speed as well in the backpedaling drills. He doesn't look "old" out there for sure.

Alphonso Smith- I think he was the one that picked of my adopt-a-bronco TOM B! Bastard....haha just kidding, he looked really good in the backpedaling drills and displays really good awareness on the field during 11 vs 11 drills.

Defensive Line-

Marcus Thomas was the only one I really noticed, looked out of shape, but once he does he should be fine. I didn't see the DL too much this session, so can't say if they were good or not.

Linebackers-

Jarvis Moss- TRTP (Too retired to play)

Woodyard- See pic above, guy is an animal. Just makes plays and is all over the field.

Andre Davis- Wasn't really impressed with him today, he got shoved around pretty easily in the early part of the AM session.

Doom- Looked great, blew by Clady on one play.

Overall, I think the unit looked a lot better today, saw some turnovers...interceptions, getting after the fumbles etc. Seems to be improvement on the pass rush. So let's be cautiously optimistic about it, still a lot of work needs to be done on this side of the ball.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Rundown on the defense...

Secondary-

Champ Bailey- I watched him a lot during this AM session to see if the reports were really true that he was TFTP...unfortunately those reports are true. I am pissed, he seemed to be a step slow, particularly with the backpedaling drills. I'm not worried about Champ come opening day, but it is unfortunate he came into camp a little out of shape.

Renaldo Hill- Remember the trick play I told you guys about between Orton and Gaffney? Well the intended reciever was wide open and Hill chased him down to swat it away. If it wasn't for that, it would be a TD easily.

Brian Dawkins- Almost had a pick off of Orton on the 11 vs 11 drills, as a result of the missed interception. He did a few pushups and the crowd cheered. I think he has good speed as well in the backpedaling drills. He doesn't look "old" out there for sure.

Alphonso Smith- I think he was the one that picked of my adopt-a-bronco TOM B! Bastard....haha just kidding, he looked really good in the backpedaling drills and displays really good awareness on the field during 11 vs 11 drills.

But but but... he is short and we wasted a first round pick on him! Blasphemy that he does anything good!
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Thanks so much.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

thank you sir. Disappointing to hear about Champ--thanks for verifying...
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

I love this drill, it's pretty funny. This drill makes sure the QB is focused under pressure and has a good grip on the ball before releasing it. The coaches just whack at the QBs with the blue pads and then the QB has to throw it after. Interesting drill.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
It quickly heated up in the morning session, it got hot towards the end. I saw Montrose, and I think TrueOne at camp. Though I think Trueone got busted for using his camera. Poor fella. Also didn't have any problems with kids this morning...whoohoo!

Alright here is the rundown on the offense...

Quarterbacks-

Kyle Orton- Did not have a great day, wasn't impressing me at all. . . . . . . . ..
What a surprise assessment. But thanks for the post.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Champ Bailey

Champ running the heat.

Woodyard.

Alphonso Smith.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
What a surprise assessment. But thanks for the post.
I gave him praise on his first day, but he just wasn't there today for whatever reason.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Great update!

Wow, it's always something with Marshall, isn't it.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

As has been stated many times before it takes the offense a week or two to catch up to the defense. With a new offense installed it will be even harder. It's a good thing the first few games of the schedule are the weaker ones on paper because we'll need the time to get things together. I'm confident Orton will do well for us though.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i tell you, Doom, Barrett, and Woodyard may not start for the team, but they are going to make it difficult for the coaches to keep them of the field. they are going to be on the field a lot even if they are not starters
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

It is great to hear they are doing well. We need a hell of a lot of role players and it seems we may have some. We had them last year too and look what happened when they were in there. It's not about one or two big stars.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Wow.

Champ's my man... but bummer to hear that. I expect he'll have a lot to prove after all of this.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #18
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Every camp I've been too the defense gets things going earlier than the offense. This is especially true with a new QB learning a new system. Give him some time. Day three of training camp and looking like he needs work is not uncommon. Even in years when we went 13-3 the defense got the better of the offense during the first week of training camp.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
I gave him praise on his first day, but he just wasn't there today for whatever reason.
Fair enough.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I think they should start Woodyard at Rush Linebacker then bring in Dumervil on pasiing and move Woodyard to Nickle Linebacker. Our starting linebacker our Woodyard ,Williams ,Davis and Crowder with Dumervil as the Joker.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #21
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Every camp I've been too the defense gets things going earlier than the offense. This is especially true with a new QB learning a new system. Give him some time. Day three of training camp and looking like he needs work is not uncommon. Even in years when we went 13-3 the defense got the better of the offense during the first week of training camp.
Good point for the Nervous Nelly's Kaylore. And neither Orton nor Simms nor any the WRs has much experience with each other, nor in the system as yet.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #22
Premier-Ace55
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm more concerned with the d-line but it is early though
Premier-Ace55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #23
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Thanks for the report. Good job.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #24
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

thanks champ, keep up the good work
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #25
Chidoze
))<>((

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Thanks to everyone for their reports, Kaylore, Oskie, 24champ, you guys are doing great!
Chidoze is offline   Reply With Quote