The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default Orangemane Reports: 8/2 AM SoCal and OSKIE

Sorry folks, we just got back in after a quick bite to eat.

Reports to follow.

Initial tidbit:

Marshall appeared to leave the field about halfway through practice. OSKIE observed he was grimacing. Coach McD did not know what the problem was post-practice but they were going to check on it.

We also got interviews (non audio however) with Kenny McKinley and Tim Crowder.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Awesome, thanks a lot SoCal and Oskie. Kenny and Timmy are my bois.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Eating? There's no eating in camp reporting..... (my best Tom Hanks voice)

Well, I'm about to run out, so I guess I won't see the report for a while. Looking forward to reading it.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

I appreciate the reports but please no teasing. Post the whole thing or don't mention it . Just messing with you, can't wait to read the report.
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
KS Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steven Johnson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ractice-field/
KS Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quick throw money at Marshall so the injury goes away and all is happy in Bronco land.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

SOCAL'S 8/2 AM REPORT PART I

I. INITIAL THOUGHTS RE: PRACTICE STYLE/STRUCTURE- It definitely appears to be a different brand of practice under McDaniels. There is more of an emphasis on stretching. The team spent a considerable amount of time doing stretching and warm up drills, progressing each segment into a warm-up drill but with more and more football related aspects to it. Just a funny little aside, OSKIE and I noticed that #66 Lonnie Paxton looked kind of fat...we nicknamed him "Bob".

The large majority of practice today was devoted to positional and group drills rather than 11 on 11s or 7 on 7s, although the latter was prevalent near the end of practice. We noticed Coach Martindale going through tackling techniques with the linebackers. The defense on the whole also worked on a drill that appeared to emphasize horizontal movement.

The offense spent a period working on "Routes on Air". Nolan was spotted with the 1st and 2nd team front seven working on installation of blitzes and coordinating stunts. The offense spent some time working on Jumbo formations and runs out of those sets. I noticed some more counter plays than we were used to, as well as tosses. The team huddled and sang Happy Birthday to a player, we weren't sure who it was, thought it was punter Britton Colquitt. Marshall was kind of clowning around during the initial warm up period, stealing Polumbus and then Hamilton's helmets and tossing them aside.

The staff was utilizing a combine-like drill with the WRs using cones and having a WR run through a set of cones catching the ball at least twice within one drill. I believe these were designed to sharpen the cuts and breaks.

II. QUARTERBACKS- Both of them had their upsides and downsides today. For awhile, Simms showed some good velocity on his intermediate range passes, although in 11 on 11s, he was inaccurate on an intermediate throw and was saved by rookie WR Nate Swift. But he struggled mightily throwing deep balls. There was a period when they threw exclusively to WRs on the "Routes on Air" vs. no defender and Simms was quite inaccurate on the deep passes, underthrowing Marshall by a few yards on one in particular. He also had some center exchange problems and he as well as Weigmann were forced to run a lap. I was impressed by Simms during a drill they ran that supposedly simulated pressure up the middle where they had to get out of the pocket and hit a WR on the sideline. I thought he showed some good mobility. Orton was not as mobile in this drill, but he was clearly better then Simms in terms of timing and accuracy on the deep balls. He connected several times with Royal in particular. When they got to the actual 11 on 11's, he connected with Royal on a corner route and the crowd cheered. I thought his decision making in the actual 11 on 11 was a bit spotty, however, as he took some risks with the ball and Dawkins almost had a pick as a result. He did a nice job of throwing the underneath routes, however. I did not notice Brandstater too much, except that I believe Alphonso Smith had an interception on one of his throws.

II. RUNNING BACKS- I thought Correll Buckhalter was most impressive with his explosion and burst. The team used him on toss plays to the outside often and more often than not he was able to beat the defense to the corner. He was less successful inside, but there was a single inside run in which he did display some nice shiftiness in traffic. LaMont Jordan and Torain were used on most of the inside run plays. I thought both looked decent. Darius Walker also had a couple of nice runs although he was running against the 2nd or 3rd defensive unit. Hillis and Larsen also got some carries. Hillis is going to be a great weapon on screens. The team devoted some good time to the screen game today and Hillis took one for a long gain just before the play was going to get blown up by Barrett.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbronco View Post
socal's 8/2 am report part i

i. Initial thoughts re: Practice style/structure- it definitely appears to be a different brand of practice under mcdaniels. There is more of an emphasis on stretching. The team spent a considerable amount of time doing stretching and warm up drills, progressing each segment into a warm-up drill but with more and more football related aspects to it. Just a funny little aside, oskie and i noticed that #66 lonnie paxton looked kind of fat...we nicknamed him "bob".

the large majority of practice today was devoted to positional and group drills rather than 11 on 11s or 7 on 7s, although the latter was prevalent near the end of practice. We noticed coach martindale going through tackling techniques with the linebackers. The defense on the whole also worked on a drill that appeared to emphasize horizontal movement.

The offense spent a period working on "routes on air". Nolan was spotted with the 1st and 2nd team front seven working on installation of blitzes and coordinating stunts. The offense spent some time working on jumbo formations and runs out of those sets. I noticed some more counter plays than we were used to, as well as tosses. The team huddled and sang happy birthday to a player, we weren't sure who it was, thought it was punter britton colquitt. Marshall was kind of clowning around during the initial warm up period, stealing polumbus and then hamilton's helmets and tossing them aside.

The staff was utilizing a combine-like drill with the wrs using cones and having a wr run through a set of cones catching the ball at least twice within one drill. I believe these were designed to sharpen the cuts and breaks.

Ii. Quarterbacks- both of them had their upsides and downsides today. For awhile, simms showed some good velocity on his intermediate range passes, although in 11 on 11s, he was inaccurate on an intermediate throw and was saved by rookie wr nate swift. But he struggled mightily throwing deep balls. There was a period when they threw exclusively to wrs on the "routes on air" vs. No defender and simms was quite inaccurate on the deep passes, underthrowing marshall by a few yards on one in particular. He also had some center exchange problems and he as well as weigmann were forced to run a lap. I was impressed by simms during a drill they ran that supposedly simulated pressure up the middle where they had to get out of the pocket and hit a wr on the sideline. I thought he showed some good mobility. Orton was not as mobile in this drill, but he was clearly better then simms in terms of timing and accuracy on the deep balls. He connected several times with royal in particular. When they got to the actual 11 on 11's, he connected with royal on a corner route and the crowd cheered. I thought his decision making in the actual 11 on 11 was a bit spotty, however, as he took some risks with the ball and dawkins almost had a pick as a result. He did a nice job of throwing the underneath routes, however. I did not notice brandstater too much, except that i believe alphonso smith had an interception on one of his throws.

Ii. Running backs- i thought correll buckhalter was most impressive with his explosion and burst. The team used him on toss plays to the outside often and more often than not he was able to beat the defense to the corner. He was less successful inside, but there was a single inside run in which he did display some nice shiftiness in traffic. Lamont jordan and torain were used on most of the inside run plays. I thought both looked decent. Darius walker also had a couple of nice runs although he was running against the 2nd or 3rd defensive unit. Hillis and larsen also got some carries. Hillis is going to be a great weapon on screens. The team devoted some good time to the screen game today and hillis took one for a long gain just before the play was going to get blown up by barrett.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

III. WIDE RECIEVERS and TIGHT ENDS- As noted above, about halfway through the practice, Marshall appeared to leave with some kind of injury, although we don't know much about it. When they started scrimmaging against the defense, the first unit consisted of Gaffney and Royal. Royal was an absolute stud. He caught several deep balls and screen passes. I think he will be used quite effectively on screens. There was a screen in particular that the team installed that was very reminsicent of something that Kentucky used to run in the late 1990s. They faked the handoff to the back in the shotgun going one way to get the LBs to shuffle to the right and threw back the other way with the inside reciever cracking on the corner, the tackle inviting the end in and the guard kicking out to seal off the defender over the inside reciever. It's very deceptive and effective. Gaffney did a nice job outrunning the defense on a reverse. He also caught a few balls. He did have a drop although I believe that was from a somewhat inaccurate pass. I did not notice McKinley too much in the actual O v. D session, although OSKIE remarked on his route running and catching abilities in the cone drills they utilized. Nate Swift made a name for himself at this practice, bailing out Simms on one occasion and making another nice catch on other occasion.

The tight ends were generally quiet. I did not notice Scheffler or Putzier with the exception of one play each where they caught a short pass. Graham also had a catch. I was not able to see much of Quinn, although he was definitely out there competing on in the O v. D drills.

IV. OFFENSIVE LINE- They were doing a fine job against the defensive front most of the day. Clady did get flat out beat once for a sack by Dumervil, but we then focused on him the next play and he stoned Dumervil. I also though that Polumbus did a very nice job at LT on the 2nd team the whole practice and Ryan Harris stoned Darrell Reid on a OLB blitz. The line is, as expected, fine. I noticed that Lichtensteiger was getting a considerable amount of time with the 1st unit. The only problem I noticed with regard to the interior line was center exchange problems. This happened twice, once with Orton at QB and once with Simms at QB.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

OSKIE is stuck in traffic, probably be 45 minutes before he gets home.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Socal

Where was Lichtensteiger playing? Guard or Center?
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Thanks!!!!! Man I love you guys...
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

V. DEFENSIVE LINE- Marcus Thomas made a real impact today, which was nice to see. He's still struggling a bit conditioning wise, though. Of note were two plays in particular: He burst through the line to stop a RB for a loss and he also quickly diagnosed a screen play and was able to move down the line fast enough to blow up the screen. I was not impressed by the rest of the 3-4 down lineman. Perhaps part of that is because they were going up against a very good OL, but the OL seemed to get to the ILB's relatively easily. Did not notice much of McBean or Fields.

VI. LINEBACKERS- Did not notice much of the inside LBs, today. They need some help from the DL. I did see Andra Davis blow up a run, though. He does come off on nickel downs and is replaced by Woodyard in that situation, which is not surprising. So far as the OLBs go, they were more effective. As noted above, Dumervil had a sack on Clady, which was a rare feat. Tim Crowder also was making some plays against the run as well as pressuring the passer. I thought Darrell Reid was relatively quiet. Harris did a nice job on him, today. One thing I noticed that concerned me was adjustments to empty coverage. They had Dumervil covering down on a slot reciever, which might be a matchup concern, although perhaps that was just the assignment in that particular coverage.

VII. DEFENSIVE BACKS- Alphonso Smith had a pick off a Brandstater pass. In the post-practice newsconference, Coach McDaniels said he's doing a good job for a rookie and making plays on the ball, just as he did at Wake Forest. However, we did notice that JMFW was still running ahead of him, at least from the respective units they were playing on (JMFW came in several times as the 1st team nickel corner). I was very impressed by Renaldo Hill, he broke up a couple passes. OSKIE indicated he seems to be mentally sharp. On one of the very first plays of the 11 on 11, Orton hesitated for a moment and threw a sideline pass that Dawkins anticipated and he almost had a pick, breaking up the pass. He then did pushups for a few seconds on the field as self punishment for not hauling in the interception. OSKIE and I were both impressed by Barrett and specifically his ability to backpedal and cover ground in drills. They also used him on a blitz one time and he almost made a play. I did not notice much of Bruton or McBath. I suspect they are still probably trying to cope with the learning curve.

MISC. NOTES- OSKIE remarked on a drill the Broncos were using that he had previously seen the Cowboys use when Dave Campo was their coach. The coach would roll the ball on the ground and the player would have to recover it or tip it back in before it went out of bounds. This seems like it will be useful for punt returns and also recovering fumbles (obviously).

VIII. POST-PRACTICE PRESS CONFERENCE

Coach McDaniels
1. There is no update as to Jarvis Moss.
2. Was not sure what the problem with Marshall was.
3. Team is making progress. He remarked that they need to be physical while executing the assigment at the same time. Sometimes it is difficult to do both, at times they have been physical, but have slipped a bit in assignment, and vice versa. The goal is harness both elements as best as possible.
4. Was complimentary of Tim Crowder. Said he continues to get better. Liked the fact that he is a "thick" player and can be used on the edge and at OLB as well.
5. As noted above, thinks Smith is making progress. Likes how he is making plays on the ball.
6. Says they are constantly working on trying to get Ayers and Moreno in there but that he isn't going to get frustrated about it.
7. Says Elvis is making the adjustment at OLB and is working hard. Hands improving.

HILLIS
We were able to listen to Hillis's remarks to questions from other media. He mentioned the following:
1. He is learning the playbook. Notes that it is complex.
2. Likes the group of men, says they are close.
3. Discussed the set of backs this year. Likes Lamont Jordan (although he did not elaborate). He said he really liked Buckhalter and said he was learning from him, just as he learned from Pittman last year.
4. Discussed the Knowshon situation a bit. Says Knowshon is talented. Says this is just business, although he does run the risk of getting a bit too far behind.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

ORANGEMANE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS (No Audio unfortunately, as we didn't have those recorders today)

I interviewed rookie WR KENNY MCKINLEY

Q: The Spurrier offense at South Carolina was known for its option routes, comparison to this offense in that respect and in general.

A: They run some option routes here, but this offense as a whole is more advanced. WRs have to know what the line is doing, have to adjust on the blitz. There are numerous variations. Much more advanced. Feels offense is much tougher.

Q: How is he holding up from a physical standpoint re: two a days?

A: Feels he is fine. He believes he is in good shape. From a talent standpoint, he isn't in awe of the people at camp, because he played in the SEC where there was alot of talent. McKinley points out that opponents in the NFL are much smarter, however.

Q: Any WRs (Marshall or Royal) mentoring him, taking him under their wing?

A. Said both Marshall and Royal do, although he stressed Royal more so. He also indicated he was being mentored by Jabar Gaffney as Gaffney also played in the Spurrier offense as well as playing in the NE system now, so he felt that Jabar is a good resource to help him with the mental aspect.

McKinley seems like a good kid and was very willing to answer questions.

OSKIE interviewed OLB Tim Crowder

Crowder liked the fact that OSKIE had his Texas Longhorn hat on.
Crowder is getting good feedback from the coaches as to his progression, specifically his position coach. OSKIE asked whether Crowder could see his improvment in the film room as well and Crowder said he could. He also feels his legs are holding up well now...not that sore. Feels he is getting better and better as a player. OSKIE will have more on in his report.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

We will have a recorder tonight. You ask the questions though I am still working up to that!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #16
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Elsid, from my vantage point, it appeared Lichtensteiger was playing center, although that may have been only when Weigmann had to go running with Simms.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

One other note: I saw a sign that indicated that this afternoon's practice was changed to 4:45 to 6 PM altho im not sure if thats really correct. If anyone can confirm that, that would be nice.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
One other note: I saw a sign that indicated that this afternoon's practice was changed to 4:45 to 6 PM altho im not sure if thats really correct. If anyone can confirm that, that would be nice.
I will see what I can find.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

On the front page of the Broncos page it shows the time changed to 4:45pm but its not updated on the training camp fan guide.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #20
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

SoCal, I had read somewhere -- perhaps Denver Post or Josina's blog that the afternoon practice was going to be changed to 45 minutes earlier or something.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

if I'm not mistaken, just last week Champ remarked that Hill is one of the smartest teammates he has ever played with. nice to have a hitter AND thinker at safety this year - last year we had neither.
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #22
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

This is from the Blog on DenverBroncos.com

Quote:
QUICK HITS: Fans enjoyed another day of picturesque morning weather in Englewood, with temperatures climbing into the mid-80s and plenty of sunshine.
At the conclusion of stretches, the entire team circled around Director of Special Services Fred Fleming, singing him Happy Birthday.
Broncos coaches haven’t been shy about taking the opportunity to use training camp for plenty of teaching. This was again apparent during coaching assistant Keith Burns’ special teams tackling drill. Each player navigated through a first blocker before wrapping up the returner at an angle toward the ball. When inside linebacker/fullback Spencer Larsen went too low, Burns had Larsen repeat the drill. On the second attempt, he nailed it.
There is another practice session this evening at 4:45 p.m. MDT. Pictures to come…
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/
Old 08-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #23
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
that's what was posted at Saturday's afternoon practice - that today's afternoon practice did indeed start at 4:45
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #24
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Fred's Birthday? That must be why SoCal and he are going out for dinner later.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #25
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

what's nice is to have socal posting interesting and informative things once again. Nice work! Best report so far imo...

good to have you back...
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote