The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default Champ returns to practice, talks about what happened

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...QPz3AD99QEB0O0

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Champ Bailey returned to the football field and also coach Josh McDaniels' good graces Saturday after failing his conditioning test 48 hours earlier.

The perennial Pro Bowl cornerback said at first he was angry with the Denver Broncos' new head coach but came to realize McDaniels made the right move in holding him out of Friday's two practices along with safety Renaldo Hill and defensive lineman Marcus Thomas.

"It bothered me a little, but I'm all for the right thing, you know?" Bailey said after the three veterans returned to action Saturday. "In the end, as long as I'm there Sept. 13 (for the season opener), that's all that matters."

Bailey and the others were banished to the team's weight room during Friday's practices, and Bailey acknowledged it was difficult for a team leader like himself to accept such a red-faced punishment.

"It's frustrating because one thing I want to do is always practice," Bailey said. "I don't want to be just a guy off to the side, and I've had my share of days doing that. So, I want to be out here practicing."Bailey sat out much of last season, missing seven games with a torn groin and then undergoing elbow surgery in the offseason after watching his streak of eight straight Pro Bowl berths come to an end.

He said he tried at first to fight McDaniels over his exclusion from the start of training camp, "but I know where he's coming from, so I respect that," Bailey said.

Bailey insisted the matter wouldn't harm his budding relationship with McDaniels, who, at 33, is just two years older.

Bailey said he's healthy, just a little out of shape

"I feel good. I've got to work myself back into it," he said.

McDaniels welcomed the three veterans' return.

"You didn't really notice Champ, which is pretty typical because he always does his job really well and you don't throw much over there," McDaniels said. "So, that's a great thing to have out there on the left side of our defense. He challenged our receivers today, he was very aggressive and you can feel his impact when he's out there on the field."

Bailey was plenty noticed by the crowd and the offense, intercepting one throw and then baiting Kyle Orton into throwing a deep pass to Brandon Marshall that he broke up at the goal line.

Hill also looked good at practice, but Thomas was winded.

Still, he said it was harder sitting out Friday.

"I was out there looking from the windows trying to watch everybody and I wanted to be out there real bad," he said. "(McDaniels) just felt like he needed to hold us out a little bit and get ourselves together."

Defensive lineman Nic Clemons was carted off with a right knee injury, and two other players missed practice, safety Vernon Fox (right ankle) and pass-rusher Jarvis Moss, for what McDaniels said was an unspecified personal reason. He declined to elaborate. KDVR television station in Denver reported that Moss, the Broncos' top draft pick in 2007 who hasn't lived up to expectations, was considering retirement. Moss did not return a phone message from The Associated Press.

NOTES: McDaniels showed some more of his disciplinarian style when he had rookie QB Tom Brandstater and C Blake Schlueter run a lap around the field after fumbling an exchange. Later, he ordered his entire third-team defense to run a lap along with coaching assistant Jay Rodgers for having just 10 men in the huddle

sorry if this was already posted, didn't see it.

Nice to know that champ is taking his lumps a little bit, but respecting the coach.

LETS GO BRONCOS
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Good to see and I love Champ Bailey. I like that he was mad about it but I like that he at least for public consumption said he understood. Thats why he is a leader!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...QPz3AD99QEB0O0

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Champ Bailey returned to the football field and also coach Josh McDaniels' good graces Saturday after failing his conditioning test 48 hours earlier.

The perennial Pro Bowl cornerback said at first he was angry with the Denver Broncos' new head coach but came to realize McDaniels made the right move in holding him out of Friday's two practices along with safety Renaldo Hill and defensive lineman Marcus Thomas.

"It bothered me a little, but I'm all for the right thing, you know?" Bailey said after the three veterans returned to action Saturday. "In the end, as long as I'm there Sept. 13 (for the season opener), that's all that matters."
Does anyone else think this speaks poorly of Champ...that he thinks he can use training camp to get into shape and not show up in shape?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Good to see and I love Champ Bailey. I like that he was mad about it but I like that he at least for public consumption said he understood. Thats why he is a leader!
He's my fav player, so when I first heard about this shiat, I was pretty bummed. But, he owned up to it (at least for public consumption like you say), and now he's movin on. That's what champions do!!

I'm just glad he's giving josh the respect, ya know? I think it's good for the younger players to see vets owning up and moving on

Last edited by Boobs McGee; 08-02-2009 at 11:02 AM..
Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Does anyone else think this speaks poorly of Champ...that he thinks he can use training camp to get into shape and not show up in shape?
I think it speaks poorly of Champ's attitude coming in...but everybody makes mistakes, and I think he's just gonna kick it into high gear now
Old 08-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I think it speaks poorly of Champ's attitude coming in...but everybody makes mistakes, and I think he's just gonna kick it into high gear now
Yeah, but Champ's image has taken a bit of a hit. First there was the double talk about Jay, depending on which radio station he is talking to and now this.

He's not looking too good about now.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Quote:
Seems like he did picking Orton and baiting him on another play.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Yeah, but Champ's image has taken a bit of a hit. First there was the double talk about Jay, depending on which radio station he is talking to and now this.

meh. His image is fine imo. I like him just as much as I did three days ago
Old 08-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Champ, Thomas, Hill may have been dogging it a little bit and got called out. It happens sometimes. Prolly not a big deal in the whole scheme of things. As long as there is good communication between the staff and players and some explanations are given, and the players don't go prima-donna, it's not a big deal.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:

That all changes September 13. His image will be teflon again with his play.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

He'd better play his way out of this. Thats the only thing he can do.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Champ got as many days in TC off as anybody under Shanahan, sounds like McDaniels was just issuing a reality check for the whole team as to how this team will henceforth handle its business, and Champ was a little slow to catch on.

He might feel like he can coast and flip the switch come September, but McDaniels has clearly sent the message that he isn't about to let that happen. Him showing no favoritism towards Champ is a big message to the entire roster.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Hopefully, I'd like to see him play more than 8 games.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Champ got as many days in TC off as anybody under Shanahan, sounds like McDaniels was just issuing a reality check for the whole team as to how this team will henceforth handle its business, and Champ was a little slow to catch on.

He might feel like he can coast and flip the switch come September, but McDaniels has clearly sent the message that he isn't about to let that happen. Him showing no favoritism towards Champ is a big message to the entire roster.
It doesn't seem clear whether they failed the first conditioning test, or didn't take it because they weren't 'ready'.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
It doesn't seem clear whether they failed the first conditioning test, or didn't take it because they weren't 'ready'.
They failed the test. Friday PM they were doing it again. I watched champ do it and they had the stop watches out.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
NOTES: McDaniels showed some more of his disciplinarian style when he had rookie QB Tom Brandstater and C Blake Schlueter run a lap around the field after fumbling an exchange. Later, he ordered his entire third-team defense to run a lap along with coaching assistant Jay Rodgers for having just 10 men in the huddle

I'm loving the accountability
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #17
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

I agree, and it addresses the whole hitting thing in TC. You can't coast through TC not hitting and expect to be in game shape on Sept. 13.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #18
Popps
It's so easy

Bailey said he's healthy, just a little out of shape.

Wow, candid stuff from Bailey. Props to him for how he handled this. As usual, he was a total pro about it.

Yet another stark and obvious difference between a professional and a chump.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #19
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Wow, candid stuff from Bailey. Props to him for how he handled this. As usual, he was a total pro about it.

Yeah, imagine that. A player saying "yeah I was pissed at coach for doing that, but I gave it some thought and turns out, he made the right call."

Too bad other people couldn't be as professional about it.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #20
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
I'm loving the accountability
Amen.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #21
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:

It also speaks volumes to the differences between the old way and the new way.

People on this board have spent the past few years b****ing about how our guys can't stay healthy. We've now got a staff in place that's going to at least make an attempt to make sure we CAN stay healthy.

Will it work? Who knows, but these guys aren't going to show up in pseudo-shape and goof their way through stretches anymore.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Also it shows our young coach will not be intimidated by players, or be soft of ones who have made pro bowls.

It's starting to become obvious why the Broncos have been soft.

When your coach goes soft, the team follows him, period!!!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote