The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Denver Post : FEAR the HILLIS

Quote:
Here's hoping Peyton Hillis isn't so polite should he run over a hulking outside linebacker come September.

As the Broncos got physical Saturday afternoon on the second day of training camp, it was Hillis, a 240-pound fullback-tailback hybrid who delivered the biggest blow.

In a one-on-one tackling drill, Hillis bulldozed outside linebacker Tim Crowder, leaving Crowder — who has 3 inches and 20 pounds on Hillis — lying in the grass for a minute trying to catch his breath.

"It hurts me to see a guy laying there. It just breaks my heart, because you never know what's going to happen," Hillis said. "You don't know what kind of injury he has. I'm glad he got up and was playing the rest of the time."

Meanwhile, a more spirited and evenly matched battle was taking place on the other side of the practice field between wide receiver Brandon Marshall and safety Josh Barrett, who first fired up an on-field rivalry Friday.
On the first of three matchups, Barrett easily wrapped up Marshall and pulled the receiver to the ground. On the third, Marshall got around the edge and all Barrett could grab was a bit of jersey.

Who won the second? Depends on who you ask.

"Josh and I kind of have a thing going," Marshall said. "He got me the first time, but I think I got the next two."

Several practice observers saw Barrett make the tackle, but Barrett wasn't boasting.

"I'm not here to judge. I'll give it to him, though, if he says he won," Barrett said. "He's a beast. You have to have a different mind-set because he's big, he's physical and he's going to try to run you over. You know that going into it, but then again, you can't back down. You've got to hold your ground."

The Broncos rarely — if ever — participated in full tackling drills when Mike Shanahan was their head coach. But new coach Josh McDaniels said he likes to use the drills from time to time so the players are frequently working on the fundamentals of tackling.

Maybe this is part of the new Spygate world following McDaniels from his Patriots days. It's a conspiracy, I tell you. Bad call. If I have any Broncos on my fantasy team, roster planning will be a real pain. Thanks, Coach.

"You certainly don't want to go into your first game not having tackled someone or having been tackled," McDaniels said. "It's good for them to feel the contact and to also start working on their techniques and fundamentals.

"Tackling sounds like a simple thing, but it's really not when you have big men running full speed. You've got to wrap your arms and do a lot of little things to get him down."

Hillis said the live tackling drills are also a way for players to prove themselves to the coaches.

"I think it's about improving yourself and showing coaches how tough and physical you can be. I hope I can show that and they can see that out of me," Hillis said. "When it comes down to it, you're a certain type of person and that type of person for me is to be physical."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...406?source=rss

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 08-02-2009 at 07:51 AM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
seanpgk
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
EVP John Elway

I saw and heard the hit from the endzone sideline. Hillis lit him up! Good to see Crowder wasn't hurt.
seanpgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
backup qb
Ring of Famer

I love Hillis
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by backup qb View Post
I love Hillis
This
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Consdiering where he was drafted, Hillis might end up being the draft pick made from the 2008 draft class, which is saying something considering Clady is already the best player on the team and Eddie Royal has emerged as well.

The stuff on Barrett is good to hear. We all know he has the physical attributes to do a lot of things. He's big and he's fast. Its good to read this stuff but these are still one on one drills. I worry that stories like this will create some artificial hype. When its 11 on 11, theres more field to cover and more decision making involved. Its still good to read positives from Barrett though.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I would like to see a match-up between Hillis and Larson in the hole. I wonder who wins.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Wow, tackling drills early in training camp, what a HUGE change!
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
CEH
Ring of Famer

Too tell you the truth having watched this drill on Friday morning Graham and Doom were going at it and Graham ate Elvis' lunch. Elvis looked like superball bouncing off a concrete wall. R Quinn riding A Davis out of the play and into the sidelines and onto his back. While I love what the offesesive players are doing it gives me a little cause for concern with our defensive starters being man handled by TEs and RBs. What happens with a 330 Lb guard pulls out?

This is different than a Shanny camp and kinda sheds some light still on our defensive woes.

Come on Ayers get out there
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

To be fair the guys that were running over other guys have quite a bit of ability you don't just find in everybody. Those three are kind of known for their ability to be road graders.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

they need to start mass producing #22 jerseys.........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by backup qb View Post
I love Hillis
that is the way I feel about him . I am going to buy his Jersey for sure .
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
yep I am in line....
Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
Hell yea, let him run the Wildhawg offense, who needs a QB?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I got mine last year!
Attached Images

BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Hitting in practice is a two-edged sword. I'm for hitting. You have to get used to it, simple as that. You can be big and strong, lift weights like crazy, stretch, yoga, but getting hit is a whole different thing. Your body gets stressed in a lot different ways than just lifting, stretching, all that. I believe you have less injuries in the long run if you get hit early and often. But, there's a fine line between getting hit and getting too carried away with hitting in TC. I think the one-on-one drills are good because you don't get hit by three guys in TC, but you do get used to getting hit and hitting.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Hitting in practice is a two-edged sword. I'm for hitting. You have to get used to it, simple as that. You can be big and strong, lift weights like crazy, stretch, yoga, but getting hit is a whole different thing. Your body gets stressed in a lot different ways than just lifting, stretching, all that. I believe you have less injuries in the long run if you get hit early and often. But, there's a fine line between getting hit and getting too carried away with hitting in TC. I think the one-on-one drills are good because you don't get hit by three guys in TC, but you do get used to getting hit and hitting.
While I certainly hope we don't see many injuries this training camp, when you consider how poor the Broncos have been at tackling in recent years, I am glad to see them putting such an emphasis on hitting and tackling techniques.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #17
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
While I certainly hope we don't see many injuries this training camp, when you consider how poor the Broncos have been at tackling in recent years, I am glad to see them putting such an emphasis on hitting and tackling techniques.
If McD get us tackling it will go a long ways with me !!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so ****ing sick of that missed tackling BS of the past !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
They're also doing a lot of tackling with pads and mats to cushion contact, while still letting them practice technique. Hopefully that'll be a big help too.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #19
seanpgk
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
EVP John Elway

Larson whiffed a couple of times in the one-on-one drills and looked a step too slow. He looked good when he was playing FB and in the RB drills though.
seanpgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #20
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
If McD get us tackling it will go a long ways with me !!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so ****ing sick of that missed tackling BS of the past !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, how many times did we see an LB launch himself at a runner only to bounce or slide off him. I think it was in one of the first camp reports where someone said that the LB coach (Donnely is it?) yelled at someone for launching himself at a runner, rather than driving through the tackle with his legs.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Yes, how many times did we see an LB launch himself at a runner only to bounce or slide off him. I think it was in one of the first camp reports where someone said that the LB coach (Donnely is it?) yelled at someone for launching himself at a runner, rather than driving through the tackle with his legs.
Another thing that was evident was people like Webster overpursuing because, presumably, in practice the emphasis is on flying to the ball since they werent allowed to tackle.

Now that they have to finish plays, hopefully, you wont see such sloppyness in pursuit.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #22
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Another thing that was evident was people like Webster overpursuing because, presumably, in practice the emphasis is on flying to the ball since they werent allowed to tackle.

Now that they have to finish plays, hopefully, you wont see such sloppyness in pursuit.
Exactly--bring back the CRUSH. No more p***Y-footing around--no more arm tackles, no more grazing the ball carrier--seek and destroy--hear that LT? hear that Sproles? And Rivers--we've got a lil' sumthin' for you too..........the kool-aid has been drunk by this fan...

Last edited by broncofan7; 08-02-2009 at 11:26 AM..
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #23
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Exactly--bring back the CRUSH. No more p***Y-footing around--no more arm tackles, no more grazing the ball carrier--seek and destroy--hear that LT? hear that Sproles? And Rivers--we've got a lil' sumthin' for you too..........the kool-aid has been drunk by this fan...

Actually, Webster was seek and destroy. The problem was that he missed too much. He was too sloppy.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #24
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I would like to see a match-up between Hillis and Larson in the hole. I wonder who wins.
nobody wins. they collide and a nuke-like explosion erupts between them and destroys everything within a ten mile radius.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote