The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Khan Afternoon camp report 8.01

Hello Everyone! Today was brutal with the heat. I was somewhat in agreement with Daniel Graham when he looked at us as he walked off the field and said "y'all stupid" for standing out in the sun when we could be doing something else.

This will be an abbreviated report as the camp ran later than it was scheduled and I need to go to dinner with my wife.

The first major story is obviously that Jarvis Moss wasn't on the field and Fox 31 is reporting that he is thinking about retiring early. Moss has been working on the third team and was seen praying on the field before practice yesterday. I don't know if he has personal issues or if his heart is no longer in football, but clearly he has some issues to work out.

Bailey was back on the field today as were the other "unconditioned" players in Hill and Thomas. Bailey's not in football shape (his words) and you could tell. Some of his explosiveness was gone as was his quickness. However he still looked pretty good. On one play he broke up a pass intended for Brandon Marshall down field.

It's pretty clear how McDaniels is going to do his routine going forward. They run light drills, then do warm up jogging, high-stepping, lunges, etc. Then stretching. Then they work on positional drills that are usually centered around accomplishing something game related (tackling drills in open space, back-peddling and then exploding into a ball carrier. Offensive linemen working on getting off the ball, defensive linemen working on getting off the ball, etc.) Then they run drills with the linebackers and defensive linemen and the receivers and corners. Then they'll run situations to try certain plays against certain defensive packages. Finally they finished with a two minute offense and then did some cleanup work.

The defense overall had the edge today. This is completely typical of every camp I've been too. It usually takes the offense a good week or two to get going before you see what they can do. They are running everything. We saw two tight end sets and five wide. The screen play is an important part of the practices.

Gaffney and Royal get more work on the first team than Stokley or Marshall, thought both looked good. In one one one drills, Royal and Stokley were regularly beating their guys. Marshall didn't run very many routes at all. They mostly use him on quick passes and long passes like go's and posts. Alphonso Smith is just crazy. He's quick but explodes out of his stance so when he's breaking on a pass he's moving so fast it's got to hurt when he slams into guys. I heard Ed Donatell tell the secondary that he is "always going to have at least one safety over the center so if they want to run that way, fine. We'll light 'em up for it."

The full-speed collisions drill between the tight ends and the linebackers was a popular one. I was watching the receivers during this drill though.

They are still doing a lot of install. Nolan spent ten minutes on pre-snap adjustments and disgusing their packages. Lots of shifting and stunting. I've noticed so far he never blitzes but he does create a lot of movement. On one play after the TE went into motion he had the NT move outside to a 3 technique and the linebacker come down into the one technique (in this case Larsen) and then the end and WOLB linebacker stunted. I saw this front movement used a lot.

Players have to take a lap around the practice field if they mess up. Branstater fumbled the ball and during some running plays Nolan was pissed with the defense and made them do this as well.

During the two minute drills Orton was moving the ball until he threw to Andre Goodman for an interception much to the fans' chagrin. It appeared to me a miss-communication because no one was really near where the ball was thrown. Again, this is typical of the offense as it usually takes them a good week to get up to speed.

Overall it was very hot but the fans got to sit in the shade so it was a good time to go. I recommend anyone wanting to attend to try and do so. You get better seating than the press or VIP members.

I also was able to chat with Alphonso Smith and Tom Brandstater and Taco will have that audio up shortly.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
ChampBailey24
Ring of Famer

SALUTE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

i love you
ChampBailey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Thank youuuuu!
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

muchos gracias khan~
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
DeusExManning
Ring of Famer

I did see the full collision drills, it was awesome, Graham annihilated someone and Hillis crushed Crowder.
DeusExManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Premier-Ace55
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExShanahan View Post
I did see the full collision drills, it was awesome, Graham annihilated someone and Hillis crushed Crowder.
Stink said today on Espn that the front 7 is garbage how are they looking to you.
Premier-Ace55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

The Taco interview will be the highlight of this day.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I heard Ed Donatell tell the secondary that he is "always going to have at least one safety over the center so if they want to run that way, fine. We'll light 'em up for it."

YEAH... BDawk is gonna make you pay for goin over the middle on this defense... YEYAH
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Very nice, thanks
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Thanks, Khan. You helped ease my fix for the day.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

preciate it khan...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
CoopDawg
Seasoned Veteran

McCaffrey

Thanks so much, appreciate your effort to type this out for us.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
DeusExManning
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier-Ace55 View Post
Stink said today on Espn that the front 7 is garbage how are they looking to you.
It is really hard to tell, this was my first training camp
DeusExManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I need an update on dinner with the wife.

Where did you guys go and how many footballs would you rate it out of 10?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Bailey was back on the field today as were the other "unconditioned" players in Hill and Thomas. Bailey's not in football shape (his words) and you could tell. Some of his explosiveness was gone as was his quickness.
I don't get this...

Champ has suffered through a bunch of injuries the last couple of years, not to mention he played on one of the worst defenses EVER... Yet, somehow none of that motivated him to show up to camp in shape.

WTF?
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
I don't get this...

Champ has suffered through a bunch of injuries the last couple of years, not to mention he played on one of the worst defenses EVER... Yet, somehow none of that motivated him to show up to camp in shape.

WTF?
Well they cut his brother the coach is younger than him, he has been injured and more impotantly Shanny didn't hold his players accountable to be in shape for camp and his camps were fluff. Champ fell into that comfort level is my theory. I now understand why this team went 8-8 and what not things were just the norm.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
gobroncos313
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I don't get this...

WTF?
He failed the conditioning test which I assume was by some small technicality because only a day later he is on the field. But I agree he and every other player should show up in shape. Of course by "football shape" does he mean going out and mixing it up with other NFL players with pads on which I don't think could be replicated in the off season no matter how much lifting and running you do?
gobroncos313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

What happened with the guy on the stretcher?
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #19
gobroncos313
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Well they cut his brother the coach is younger than him, he has been injured and more impotantly Shanny didn't hold his players accountable to be in shape for camp and his camps were fluff. Champ fell into that comfort level is my theory. I now understand why this team went 8-8 and what not things were just the norm.
IN my opinion the biggest problem the Denver Broncos have had the past several years is showing up on game day lackadaisical way too many times. From what I'm hearing everyone, including players, saying about how camp is being run differently it sure looks like Josh is addressing what I think has been our biggest problem the last few years. Maybe we will see some toughness come game day under the new regime.
gobroncos313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #20
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
I think you're right... and that seriously pisses me off. I considered Champ to be one of the leaders on this team. Guess not.

I think the Brian Dawkins acquisition is looking better everyday... There sure wasn't any question about whether or not he was in shape.

By the way is this the final year of Champs deal?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #21
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
I think you're right... and that seriously pisses me off. I considered Champ to be one of the leaders on this team. Guess not.

I think the Brian Dawkins acquisition is looking better everyday... There sure wasn't any question about whether or not he was in shape.

By the way is this the final year of Champs deal?
He is under contract this year and next.

As to motivation. If it wasn't an injury that led him to not stay in shape in the off season, that is dissapointing. He might have bought into the talk of the Broncos being horrible this year and didn't put in the effort he normally does, or he might always let himself go in the offseason. Since this 'conditioning test' is new, we don't know if Champ would have routinely failed, or if this is an anomoly.

Clearly he couldn't have been 'too' out of shape, since it only took him one extra day to pass the test. Maybe he staye up partying the night before.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post

As to motivation. If it wasn't an injury that led him to not stay in shape in the off season, that is dissapointing. He might have bought into the talk of the Broncos being horrible this year and didn't put in the effort he normally does, or he might always let himself go in the offseason. Since this 'conditioning test' is new, we don't know if Champ would have routinely failed, or if this is an anomoly.

Clearly he couldn't have been 'too' out of shape, since it only took him one extra day to pass the test. Maybe he staye up partying the night before.

Well, for a guy who is talking about wanting to get that ring before its too late he is off to a poor start.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #23
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Didn't Bailey have elbow surgery during the offseason?
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #24
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Well, for a guy who is talking about wanting to get that ring before its too late he is off to a poor start.
Yep he came across as a serious hypocrite talking about staying up at night desiring a championship only to take the 30 days off as vacation and not ready to start camp.

Yeah he may have been out a day but the facts are he wasn't ready to pass the first conditioning test. Lesser athletes passed it with no problem why couldn't he?
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #25
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post

and thats all possible... I just expect more out of players that are suposedly the best at their position and talked about as future HOF'ers. This defense needs everyone on deck just to pull itself out of the cellar, and when a guy like him shows up at less than his best... well... it tells me something about his mindset.

End result...Champ showing up out of shape is just unacceptable to me