The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer
 
titan's Avatar
 
Fan of Old School Football

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,089

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Broncos Jordan not taking opportunity lightly

Broncos running back Jordan not taking opportunity lightly

From the Colorado Springs Gazette:

http://www.gazette.com/sports/full-5...-practice.html

some excerpts:

I know I can be a top back in this league, and Ive shown it in spurts, said Jordan, who has started more than eight games once in his career and gained 1,000 yards that season, in 2005 with Oakland. Thats because I never prepared, I was never disciplined. Now, Ive prepared. Im a lot more disciplined. Ive still got a ways to go, but Im off to a great start. Mentally, physically, spiritually in all aspects of my life I feel pretty good.

The good thing about this offense is all the running backs are going to have a role, Jordan said. Were going to beat teams differently every week. You saw that last year with New England.

McDaniels liked what he saw on the first day.

All of our backs are 215 (pounds) or more, so thats the style of running that we want, McDaniels said.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

finally some real size at the RB position. tired of shifty little speed backs that are no more than complimentary backs being used as our every down back.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,809
Default

I'm glad to have him on board. It'll be nice to have another potential bruiser if anything happens to Hillis.

Jordan has had a 1000 yard rushing season, has caught 70 passes in a single season and averages over 4 YPC for his career.

We'll see what happens, but he knows the system and I think he'll be a solid contributor.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

I kind of look at him like Pittman was last year, should provide some solid yards when we need him.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

He was the least explosive RB last year but I also remember thinking the same thing about Pittman last year. These vets have a calm about themselves and they know that they will not be judged by a single play or even a single practice but rather collectively over several practices. I think we'll see him improve everyday... but to be sure, at this point he and Darrius Walker look to be the least competitive of the bunch.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Wow... guess the Pittman comparison is accurate.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
finally some real size at the RB position. tired of shifty little speed backs that are no more than complimentary backs being used as our every down back.
yep I hated that light assed TD he sure sucked...
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler
 
Orange_Beard's Avatar
 
Todd Snider Rules!

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Leucadia, CA
Posts: 7,791

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler
Default

I am looking forward to his 150 yard, 4 TD performance against the faid.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder
 
RMT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 3,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
He was the least explosive RB last year but I also remember thinking the same thing about Pittman last year. These vets have a calm about themselves and they know that they will not be judged by a single play or even a single practice but rather collectively over several practices. I think we'll see him improve everyday... but to be sure, at this point he and Darrius Walker look to be the least competitive of the bunch.
i'll second what Oskie said about Jordan and Walker being the LEAST competitive of the bunch. while watching practice yesterday, Jordan didn't impress much but it's early ... there's a lot of competition at RB, so it will make for an interesting camp as well as final cuts.
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,809
Default

Jordan isn't explosive, but he's a bruiser once he gets a head of steam. I think if he takes to our blocking scheme well, he'll be a nice rotational back, and obviously, he has good hands.

NE was near the top of the league in rushing last year without any feature back. I expect to see the touches spread out quite a bit.

At least between Jordan and Hillis, we finally have a couple backs that can pick up short yardage.

We're going to ****ing run over some people. I can't wait.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
I kind of look at him like Pittman was last year, should provide some solid yards when we need him.
too bad Pittmans body let him down, he was really showing some heart until then.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Jordan isn't explosive, but he's a bruiser once he gets a head of steam. I think if he takes to our blocking scheme well, he'll be a nice rotational back, and obviously, he has good hands.

NE was near the top of the league in rushing last year without any feature back. I expect to see the touches spread out quite a bit.

At least between Jordan and Hillis, we finally have a couple backs that can pick up short yardage.

We're going to ****ing run over some people. I can't wait.
Not to mention if Quinn gets his stuff together and can play some we have 2 big bruising TE we can move around the LOS and help block in the run game.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
i'll second what Oskie said about Jordan and Walker being the LEAST competitive of the bunch. while watching practice yesterday, Jordan didn't impress much but it's early ... there's a lot of competition at RB, so it will make for an interesting camp as well as final cuts.
I've watched a lot of football, practices, drills, everything and I will say one thing and know I am 100% correct. Small players look better then big ones until the real tackling starts. Then bigger players start to show why football covets size.

Until RB's are being taken all the way to the ground bruisers like Jordan will not look that great. His thing will be moving piles, breaking tackles, running people over for 3-5 yrds a pop.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I've watched a lot of football, practices, drills, everything and I will say one thing and know I am 100% correct. Small players look better then big ones until the real tackling starts. Then bigger players start to show why football covets size.

Until RB's are being taken all the way to the ground bruisers like Jordan will not look that great. His thing will be moving piles, breaking tackles, running people over for 3-5 yrds a pop.
Not saying that you aren't right, but none of the guys are really small. I mean, Buckhalter, Torain, and Walker are all right around 225... not exactly small. Knowshon will be our smallest back. Hillis and Jordan are both listed right around 240.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I've watched a lot of football, practices, drills, everything and I will say one thing and know I am 100% correct. Small players look better then big ones until the real tackling starts. Then bigger players start to show why football covets size.

Until RB's are being taken all the way to the ground bruisers like Jordan will not look that great. His thing will be moving piles, breaking tackles, running people over for 3-5 yrds a pop.
Also, I think Sam Adams' performance from a couple years ago counters your "I am 100% correct in that small players look better until.....", comment.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
too bad Pittmans body let him down, he was really showing some heart until then.
With our o-line he ran well but hopefully our RB's stay healthy this year.

Jordan provides some muscle back there, Hillis him and Moreno are scary.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
yep I hated that light assed TD he sure sucked...
TD was playing at 215lbs, and had the size of most of our current backs and is not who i was bring up with my post.

but in recent years, Bell, Young, Hall, all of them playing in the 210lbs or lighter range were meant to be used in a more featured role and none had the necessary size to do it.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Not to mention if Quinn gets his stuff together and can play some we have 2 big bruising TE we can move around the LOS and help block in the run game.
that is something i am going to enjoy. seeing this team have some size and power. we have been far to weak, and reliant on finesse and speed as opposed to just pure power and size.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #19
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer
 
Gcver2ver3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 6,585

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman
Default

i appreciate jordan's attitude but if torain continues to shine that will probably mean jordan is the odd man out IMO...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,889

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
i appreciate jordan's attitude but if torain continues to shine that will probably mean jordan is the odd man out IMO...
One can hope... the guy basically admitted he's lazy....("wasn't prepared"... "was never disciplined"... not good attributes, guys.)
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
One can hope... the guy basically admitted he's lazy....("wasn't prepared"... "was never disciplined"... not good attributes, guys.)
He was well-liked in NY. My guess is that his lack of preparation came his last season with the Raiders. His first season, he had 1500+ combined yards.

Dude can bring it when he wants to. Nothing fancy, but I hope he's committed all season so we can watch him bowling over tired defenders in the 4th quarter.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #22
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,889

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
He was well-liked in NY. My guess is that his lack of preparation came his last season with the Raiders. His first season, he had 1500+ combined yards.

Dude can bring it when he wants to. Nothing fancy, but I hope he's committed all season so we can watch him bowling over tired defenders in the 4th quarter.
Personally I'd rather see younger backs like Hillis and Torain (guys who have more years left to play... and don't have a history of laziness) outperform him and turn him into a roster cut casualty.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #23
DHallblows
Ring of Famer
 
DHallblows's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
TD was playing at 215lbs, and had the size of most of our current backs and is not who i was bring up with my post.

but in recent years, Bell, Young, Hall, all of them playing in the 210lbs or lighter range were meant to be used in a more featured role and none had the necessary size to do it.
I enjoy that we're talking about a 5 lb difference here

Fun fact: 7 out of the 10 all time rushing yards leaders were at 215ish or LESS. So...YAY having all our RBs above that!
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #24
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
He was well-liked in NY. My guess is that his lack of preparation came his last season with the Raiders. His first season, he had 1500+ combined yards.

Dude can bring it when he wants to. Nothing fancy, but I hope he's committed all season so we can watch him bowling over tired defenders in the 4th quarter.
Yea, Moss was pretty lazy in Oaktown as well. The city has a way of making just about anyone seem average or poor. But Moss has done better and performed better after leaving Oaktown so i expect the same from Jordan.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
I enjoy that we're talking about a 5 lb difference here
Fun fact: 7 out of the 10 all time rushing yards leaders were at 215ish or LESS. So...YAY having all our RBs above that!
fun fact, out of the top 10 all time rushing leaders, the only 1 to play in this era of football and weigh less than 215lbs is Marshall Faulk.
it is a bull**** fact to try and say some of the best ever were smaller than the 215lbs or more most feature backs in todays NFL need to be to sustain a full season, when during the time they played, all players were smaller than they are now.


also, on the most current list i could find, out of the 10 currently ACTIVE players with the most career rushing yards the only player on the list that weighs less than 215lbs is Warrick Dunn.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Denver Broncos