The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer
 
titan's Avatar
 
Fan of Old School Football

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,060

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Schefter: Ayers not close to signing, shanahan

A couple of tidbits from Adam Schefter's twitter page this morning:

"Not sure where Denver is with Knowshon Moreno, but its not close to deal with Robert Ayers. Tough talks."

I was hoping Ayers would sign soon (it appeared the two sides were close to a deal a couple of days ago). Getting Ayers in is more critical than Moreno.

"Mike Shanahan and Bob Slowik standing by Steelers defense, studying how the world champs do their thing."

When Shanahan comes back looks like Slowik will be with him.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
snowspot66
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,785
Default

Well, best of luck to you Mike. You'll need all the help you can get dragging that anchor around with you.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.
 
Rulon Velvet Jones's Avatar
 
Tight Butthole

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 6,671

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC
Default

Any team taking Shanahan would be stupid to allow Slowik to come along after that abortion he slapped on the field last season. The guy's resume is garbage.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,209
Default

Seems like a lot of 1st rounders are still unsigned for some reason. Once more start to be signed that put Ayers and Moreno in a slot that will give both sides a better framework to make a deal.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,840

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
A couple of tidbits from Adam Schefter's twitter page this morning:

"Not sure where Denver is with Knowshon Moreno, but its not close to deal with Robert Ayers. Tough talks."

I was hoping Ayers would sign soon (it appeared the two sides were close to a deal a couple of days ago). Getting Ayers in is more critical than Moreno.

"Mike Shanahan and Bob Slowik standing by Steelers defense, studying how the world champs do their thing."

When Shanahan comes back looks like Slowik will be with him.

When I talked with Josina at practice yesterday I asked her about the talks between Ayers and Moreno. She said they were far apart. I asked about the report of them being close and she said that they were but something went on with renegotiating the contract.

The good news, Tim Crowder and Darrell Reid look pretty good yesterday. We can survive with or without Ayers. And, don't worry about Moreno. Hillis, Buckhalter, and Torain can carry the rock for this team and be VERY effective!

Oh, and yesterday Peyton Hillis destroyed Darrell Reid on a block (chip) over the middle. At first I thought it was a DLineman and I was like ooooh, but it was Reid. Still, a big boy for Peyton to be putting on his butt.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
backup qb
Ring of Famer
 
backup qb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Shelbyville,Il
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
When I talked with Josina at practice yesterday I asked her about the talks between Ayers and Moreno. She said they were far apart. I asked about the report of them being close and she said that they were but something went on with renegotiating the contract.

The good news, Tim Crowder and Darrell Reid look pretty good yesterday. We can survive with or without Ayers. And, don't worry about Moreno. Hillis, Buckhalter, and Torain can carry the rock for this team and be VERY effective!

Oh, and yesterday Peyton Hillis destroyed Darrell Reid on a block (chip) over the middle. At first I thought it was a DLineman and I was like ooooh, but it was Reid. Still, a big boy for Peyton to be putting on his butt.
Don't we have to worry? Bad teams depend on first rounders to make an impact, especially when one of those comes from the dealing of your franchise qb. Oh wait, better not start that again.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Couple days should do it.

"I'll take care of it."
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
NYBronco
Ring of Famer
 
NYBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backup qb View Post
Don't we have to worry? Bad teams depend on first rounders to make an impact, especially when one of those comes from the dealing of your franchise qb. Oh wait, better not start that again.
I think bad teams have a list of problems that go far beyond one player, coach or owner.

Let's see how it plays out after three days of TC and then we can all be critical of the path chosen. Seems fair, let's not wait until an actual game is played.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,834

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
"Mike Shanahan and Bob Slowik standing by Steelers defense, studying how the world champs do their thing."
That was the tweet? I don't even know what that means. "Standing by the Steelers defense?"

OK so I read his page. He's visiting Steeler's camp with Slowick as a guest of Tomlin's. Hopefully Slowick throws out his playbook and starts to learn real defensive strategy.

Last edited by Kaylore; 08-01-2009 at 07:36 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones View Post
Any team taking Shanahan would be stupid to allow Slowik to come along after that abortion he slapped on the field last season. The guy's resume is garbage.
yes and no . Slowik is really smart like Dennison and he stuck by him and it paid huge for the Broncos ! so don't be so negative sometimes change is good I am now going to go with McD is good for the Broncos until other wise proved ... good help me... lol
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,834

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
yes and no . Slowik is really smart like Dennison and he stuck by him and it paid huge for the Broncos !
You're either confusing Slowick with someone else or completely insane.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #12
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.
 
Rulon Velvet Jones's Avatar
 
Tight Butthole

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 6,671

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
yes and no . Slowik is really smart like Dennison and he stuck by him and it paid huge for the Broncos ! so don't be so negative sometimes change is good I am now going to go with McD is good for the Broncos until other wise proved ... good help me... lol
I'm having a hard time understanding this.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #13
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Did Slowik steal the pics from Hape or something?
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,840

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Hey Raj, I met Josina yesterday. Pretty cool gal and she is on top of things for sure. Had the scoop on Ayers Thursday night. She was bagging on folks trying to report on Broncos happenings from 10 states away.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.
 
Rulon Velvet Jones's Avatar
 
Tight Butthole

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 6,671

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Pretty cool gal and she is on top of things for sure.
That's the word.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #16
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
OK so I read his page. He's visiting Steeler's camp with Slowick as a guest of Tomlin's. Hopefully Slowick throws out his playbook and starts to learn real defensive strategy.
Is it just me or is it a little odd for a veteran coach like Shanny to be visiting another NFL team's camp? Particularly when that team is headed by a young head coach. Just doesn't seem like something Shanny would do.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #17
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,840

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Here is what Josina had Thursday night, right after it was reported that the Broncos and Ayers were close and a deal was "rejected by the league".

Sources: Robert Ayers Won't Report Friday Unless Drastic Changes
When the Denver Broncos conduct their first full-squad team practice during training camp Friday, expect rookie defensive end/outside linebacker Robert Ayers not to be present.

That of course unless something drastically changes overnight.

Fox 31’s Josina Anderson talked to inside sources with knowledge of Ayers’ situation late Thursday evening at the top of the 9 o'clock hour.

“A deal looked like it was getting done but the Broncos decided they didn't like the terms,” said a league source who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

There is no doubt that the Broncos' defensive unit, which finished last season with a 29th overall ranking, needs the contribution of a rookie player many project to be a starter in Denver this season.

However, Anderson has learned negotiations between the sides are even farther apart at this hour.

“[They] are totally far apart right now,” added the source.

Apparently the sticking point is the way the deal is being structured. Given the fluidity of the collective bargaining agreement in the future, there is a hyper-vigilance over the terms in a lot of rookie contracts this season, particularly those for first round draft picks.

One can assume that Ayers, the former player out of Tennessee, wants to be on the field practicing with his teammates, but market value according to draft order slotting is what it is.

Regardless of where things stand now, Anderson was told everything is being done to square the situation away as soon as possible-within reason of course
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #18
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,549

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho
Default



Sometimes you can just look at a guy, and just know he has the "it factor." Bob Slowik does not fit that description.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #19
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Hey Raj, I met Josina yesterday. Pretty cool gal and she is on top of things for sure. Had the scoop on Ayers Thursday night. She was bagging on folks trying to report on Broncos happenings from 10 states away.
She's awesome.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Is it just me or is it a little odd for a veteran coach like Shanny to be visiting another NFL team's camp? Particularly when that team is headed by a young head coach. Just doesn't seem like something Shanny would do.
They (football coaches) all do it. Shanahan stated that he visiting other camps and watching how other team work things out. Shanahan said that this break has allowed him to explore other ideas and chance to see how he can improve on his coaching experience by sharing ideas with other coaches.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,840

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Yeah, she was working pretty hard... Oh, I have some news regarding reporting. I'll start a thread...
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #22
underrated29
10-6 baby.
 
Cutler doesnt suck

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,134

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

slowick is the biggest disgrace of a DC the football world has EVER seen!
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #23
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,521

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

I'm a huge Shanapologist....but, what a ego! His ego is probably 2x that of Mickey-D!

To me, it sounds like, Shanny is going to try and make people eat their words about Slowick, to save face about not getting rid of him in the first place.

O.K., maybe they'e just friends...but man...you think he'd try to distance himself from that anvil!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
They (football coaches) all do it.
I don't know, I've seen college coaches visiting NFL camps but I dont recall hearing about a veteran NFL coach doing this. It's basically an admission that you have something to learn from somebody else and/or that somebody does it better than you, and veteran NFL coaches usually have far too much ego to make such admissions. Can you imagine Parcells or Belichick visiting another team's camp?

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, I just find it out of character for Shanny.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #25
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post


Sometimes you can just look at a guy, and just know he has the "it factor." Bob Slowik does not fit that description.
He does look like he could gnaw down a sapling in 4 minutes flat though.

In high school he was known as Bob "The Beaver" Slowik.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Denver Broncos