The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default Official Orange Mane Training Camp Report 7.31.09 PM Practice

Teaser stuff coming soon.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Awesome report, thanks fellas.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

hurry! its almost my bed time.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Settle down SmallDong, and get back to your chinese take-out and Lifetime (Channel for Women) movie of the week. These guys are busting their asses out there so poopheads like you can get in the know. Stop ****in' around before SoCal is forced to bang some hammers. Ya dig?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Don't teaser me bro!
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Settle down SmallDong, and get back to your chinese take-out and Lifetime (Channel for Women) movie of the week. These guys are busting their asses out there so poopheads like you can get in the know. Stop ****in' around before SoCal is forced to bang some hammers. Ya dig?
wtf are you even talking about?
and
no i dont dig.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

My Impressions of Camp

Gone are the days of Club Med! Practice takes on a feel of high school two-a-days. Drills followed by stretching followed by drills followed by scrimmage followed by suicides followed by drills. Lots of followed byís but you get the point. This is a different regime and whole different practice.
The new format is going to take some getting used to so this report may not be my best this year but bare with me. I will tell you that if you are considering going to camp I highly encourage you to attend. Its crisp and the fans really get the best view in the house when it comes to the 11 vs 11 and 7 vs 7 scrimmages.

As mentioned the start of practice is very musical. This evenings playlist included Rockin the Casbah, The Boss, Tom Petty, Michael Jackson, Ice Cube, and Pearl Jam. A very eclectic choice, I happened to be standing right next to the speakers when it started and my ear drums are still ringing they play it so loud.

The Good Stuff

Eddie Royal is a gamer, like we didnít know that, but he runs routes like an all pro. His speed is just amazing. He made Alphonso Smith look like a pretzel in drills today. He was running what looked to be a go route and cut the route short. He stopped on a dime and cut back to receive a perfect pass. Smith well he was still running with what he thought was Royal! Yes it was a rookie but Royal is really polished WR.

Stokely runs the best routes by far. He makes a living on that and gets the DBís turned every which way.

Speaking of Alphonso Smith, his practice this evening was not as good as the morning. Thatís expected of course but I definitely see what others have seen in terms of talent. He is fast, to the ball, and athletic. He missed out on at least 2 INTís that I saw.

Dumervil during drills exploded out of his stance and used those arms to jam Reid and put him on skates.

McDaniels runs a camp unlike we have seen in Denver for a long while. The team splits up into pods where they get individual coaching by position. The LBís work together, the CBís work together, etc. They really focus on the basics and the finer details.

On offense I watched the QBís do a 3 step drop and before they threw the other QBís started slapping the throwing arm basically something to get them used to pressure and game situations.
Orton definitely does not have the arm of our departed Cutler. But he does have decent accuracy and can make good throws.

Hillis looks as good as last year before he suffered the injury. He has a speed you just donít expect out of him and they used him in all sorts of formations. Including splitting him out wide for a WR screen.

Tony Scheffler didnít get hurt and stay tuned for moreÖÖ
Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Orton really struggles throwing across his body, thats where his worst throws came when I was able to fully watch. He throws a nice out pass though and made some very nice throws.

I watched a lot of the D-Line drills. They are really working with the players to avoid getting jammed and engaged by the oline. They were working on footwork and recognition a lot this afternoon. The coach kept stressing awareness and recognizing when the OL was bailing inside so they can swing wide and seal the outside.

65 Rulon Davis couldn't make it to the port-o-potty or locker room so he took a pee on the side of the Dove Valley building. It was pretty funny to see and I almost snapped a picture.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Again camp has really changed and its going to take some getting used to. Its hard to focus on formations and routes as where the media is allowed to stand you can't get a good vantage point.

The media is really at odds with this and were mumbling under their breath when the coaches didn't give any interviews.

Champ and the others came out after practice and ran sprints. They were timing them so I assume they were putting them through the conditioning test again. We will see if any of them come off the PUP list tomorrow.

Pictures coming next.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDongJohnson View Post
wtf are you even talking about?
and
no i dont dig.
You should get a shovel then, making digging much easier
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
My Impressions of Camp

Dumervil during drills exploded out of his stance and used those arms to jam Reid and put him on skates.
Doom got destroyed in one on one drills against Clady.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Good stuff, Nick....keep it coming, bro.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Ok I have about 60 pictures I am sorting through so bare with me.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Nice job. We all appreciate it.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
65 Rulon Davis couldn't make it to the port-o-potty or locker room so he took a pee on the side of the Dove Valley building. It was pretty funny to see and I almost snapped a picture.
We don't want to know what you would do with that picture...
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Eddie Royal had a superb practice this evening.

I was yelling at Chris Simms from the sidelines. Everyone got a pretty good laugh when I teased him about his Longhorns tat and told him to cover that thing up... playing along and being a good sport he laughed and pulled his sock up and over the tattoo. In this morning interviews we joked about it and he said that Colorado wasn't the best place to sport a UT tat... lol

Kenny McKinnley... yeah, he's a baller. That kid can play. In fact, besides Alphonso Smith, he is the most exciting rookie out there. Hopefully that will change soon with Ayers and Moreno. This draft class is shaping up to be very good.

Kyle Orton is developing his timing with a bunch of receivers. He hooked up with Brandon Lloyd on intermediate routes on a number of occasions. 15 yard outs were on the button and he did it with Royal, Gaffney, and Lloyd.

Orton hooked up with Eddie Royal on a smoke screen. The blocking was perfect and Eddie shot behind a block and hit the sideline....> GONE for 6. He looks explosive and even faster than he did last year.

On a similar play to the other side Alphonso Smith read the play perfectly and jumped the route. He got two hands on the ball but couldn't make the play. Eddie Royal ended up catching the tipped ball and turning it up field for a short gain. Great read by Alphonso Smith and a play that he will make more often than not. I was watching on the far field when Eddie Royal undressed him with the deep comeback type route. Royal can do it to anyone so I'm not too worried about Smith, but on that particular play Royal created 5+ yards of space. He is an incredible player.

Brandon Marshall didn't practice this afternoon/evening.

We worked a lot on punt returns and setting up the return. Smith, McKinnley, and Royal were the return men, along with some scrub who won't make the team (#12).

I had a couple kiddos with me and sitting with all of the fans I have to admit... Coach McDaniels style of camp is more fun than Coach Shanahan's. After practice the field security foot soldiers move all of the remaining fans to the north side of the 40 yard line. They set up a new boundary and then the players come let by..... JOSH MCDANIELS! This afternoon they were followed by the OL... ALL OF 'EM! The kids were able to get autographs and pictures with Ryan Clady, Seth Olsen, and Casey Weigman. I talked with Casey for a bit and told him that it was good to see somebody go about getting a new contract the right way. His response, "Meh, what was I gonna do?... sit around at home on the sofa?" Good dude and a great attitude.

So, for those of you that are thinking about going out to camp... Do it. It is a fun atmosphere and the crowd has been electric. The warmups are completely different from the past lasting well beyond 15 minutes this afternoon/evening. The dynamic exercises including a 7 man offense (no OL) with the QB handing off to the RB and the entire 7 man offense sprinting 40 yards downfield. Another twist that left me wondering if Tuten and Greek had anything to do with it or if it is all McD. I know Shanny controlled everything in the past but maybe McD is giving the staff some liberty to do what they feel is best
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #18
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Eddie Royal had a superb practice this evening.

I was yelling at Chris Simms from the sidelines. Everyone got a pretty good laugh when I teased him about his Longhorns tat and told him to cover that thing up... playing along and being a good sport he laughed and pulled his sock up and over the tattoo. In this morning interviews we joked about it and he said that Colorado wasn't the best place to sport a UT tat... lol

Kenny McKinnley... yeah, he's a baller. That kid can play. In fact, besides Alphonso Smith, he is the most exciting rookie out there. Hopefully that will change soon with Ayers and Moreno. This draft class is shaping up to be very good.

Kyle Orton is developing his timing with a bunch of receivers. He hooked up with Brandon Lloyd on intermediate routes on a number of occasions. 15 yard outs were on the button and he did it with Royal, Gaffney, and Lloyd.

Orton hooked up with Eddie Royal on a smoke screen. The blocking was perfect and Eddie shot behind a block and hit the sideline....> GONE for 6. He looks explosive and even faster than he did last year.

On a similar play to the other side Alphonso Smith read the play perfectly and jumped the route. He got two hands on the ball but couldn't make the play. Eddie Royal ended up catching the tipped ball and turning it up field for a short gain. Great read by Alphonso Smith and a play that he will make more often than not. I was watching on the far field when Eddie Royal undressed him with the deep comeback type route. Royal can do it to anyone so I'm not too worried about Smith, but on that particular play Royal created 5+ yards of space. He is an incredible player.

Brandon Marshall didn't practice this afternoon/evening.

We worked a lot on punt returns and setting up the return. Smith, McKinnley, and Royal were the return men, along with some scrub who won't make the team (#12).

I had a couple kiddos with me and sitting with all of the fans I have to admit... Coach McDaniels style of camp is more fun than Coach Shanahan's. After practice the field security foot soldiers move all of the remaining fans to the north side of the 40 yard line. They set up a new boundary and then the players come let by..... JOSH MCDANIELS! This afternoon they were followed by the OL... ALL OF 'EM! The kids were able to get autographs and pictures with Ryan Clady, Seth Olsen, and Casey Weigman. I talked with Casey for a bit and told him that it was good to see somebody go about getting a new contract the right way. His response, "Meh, what was I gonna do?... sit around at home on the sofa?" Good dude and a great attitude.

So, for those of you that are thinking about going out to camp... Do it. It is a fun atmosphere and the crowd has been electric. The warmups are completely different from the past lasting well beyond 15 minutes this afternoon/evening. The dynamic exercises including a 7 man offense (no OL) with the QB handing off to the RB and the entire 7 man offense sprinting 40 yards downfield. Another twist that left me wondering if Tuten and Greek had anything to do with it or if it is all McD. I know Shanny controlled everything in the past but maybe McD is giving the staff some liberty to do what they feel is best
Dude, I was sitting pretty close to you laughing my ass off at the tat comment.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Josh Barrett needs to be unleashed. He was in position to make several punishing hits and let up each time. While the guys were in full pads this evening, they were not hitting each other during any of the 11 on 11 work... well, not intentionally anyway but a few guys got jacked up every now and then.

The media truly is at a disadvantage when it comes to the 11 on 11 and 7 on 7 work. The players block their view so it's hard to even see who is making the play and what players are in on what unit. We may have figure out a way to wonder over to the far sideline with all of the fans to see the team vs team drills.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:58 PM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

By the way Marshall was held out of practice this afternoon, I am assuming because of his hip recovery.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:58 PM   #21
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Royal

Photobucket

LB Corp

Photobucket
Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrueOne View Post
Dude, I was sitting pretty close to you laughing my ass off at the tat comment.
Right on, you should have said hello. I was sitting with Champ24 as well. You were probably laughing when I kept yelling, "Jeff... JEFF.... JEFF" Nobody realized why he wasn't responding which is why I was waving my arms at him. He finally saw me and came and sat with us. Good dude... and I hope my kids drove him nuts, though they weren't crying
Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #23
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Drills

Photobucket

Crowder

Photobucket
Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 PM   #24