The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default WR and RB notes

I got to watch practice for the first time today but mostly I just saw the RBs and WRs as they were down by the endzone and few others came our way.

Receivers practiced down here a lot. Brandon looks really good, and in good condition, but he wasnt teh most impressive of the receivers. Royal too, excellent form and great hands. But McKinley was the guy I took the most notice of. Not even knowing who this guy was I kept referring back to my roster sheet and kept saying "McKinley again? Wow".What I noticed, besides the excellent hands he has, is that he was running sharper and cripser routes than even Eddie and had no trouble with the pseudo jam drill's they were doing. The kid seemed to be able to turn on a dime at will and his head swivels back to the QB fast as hell to find that ball.

Brandon did make some pretty amazing one handed grabs, one even behind his back (positional coaches throwing to him during drills).

I will say this, Brandon Marshall is a menacing person in real life. Not his attitude, but his sheer size is incredible. I had no idea how much bigger he was than just about everyone. The only person I saw who made Brandon actually LOOK small was Clady who is just a mountain of a man.

Im calling it now, McKinley is going to be the camp superstar. Means he probably wont make the team.

I also got some interesting looks at the RBs and Bobby Turner who does not **** around.

So, Buckhalter kind of half assed an out of the backfield to the flat route and Turner said "get over here, do it again, this time come step on my toe" (as Turner stood in position) and apparently, Buckhalter got the message because he didnt take anything off from that point forward. In drills, he was the best RB. Best moves, sharpest cuts, best hands of the bunch. In DRILLS.

Peyton Hillis looks a little leaner and a ****load meaner. He will definitely be in the backfield more often than not this year, and if he isnt its a damn shame. Lamon Jordon seems to have some power behind him and runs with authority but isnt very fast and doesnt have the greatest moves. Might be a good short yardage or goal line option for us though. He is rather large.

Torain was unimpressive in drills. in DRILLS.

Now I saw a few of the 11 on 11 drills and this is where I saw who was our best actual backs IMO. Torain was just tearing it up. I talked to OSKIE who had the opposite vantage point (I was behind the offense, he was behind the defense) and he said once in the secondary that Torain was undressing those fools. He hit the right hole's at the right time though, I didnt seem him make the wrong cut even once and once he hit it he was gone. IF (and its a huge if) this dude stays healthy, Moreno may never see the field. I cant speak to that though as Moreno was not practicing.

** BONUS COVERAGE**
The QBs were on the far field and I didnt watch em much as there was interesting things right in front of me but I did notice Orton threw a beautiful bomb to Marshall about 50 yards or so, perfectly on target...and Marshall dropped it. Didnt watch teh ball in but man, it was a nice tight spiral.

Chris Simms seems to have some good zip on the ball, Orton isnt quite as hard but I dont think we have to worry about lame ducks from either.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Torain makin' the Sun Devils proud. Thanks Rock Chalk
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Nice report RC. It's fantastic to have all of these reports coming in with everyone's take.

I like the attitudes of the coaching staff. They really seem tougher on the players than any of the past several years. That should pay off big time come the regular season.

Thanks a bunch!

Go Broncos!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Good stuff fellas...thanks
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Is Dennison still running the ZBS ? Any difference from what you can tell?
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Is Dennison still running the ZBS ? Any difference from what you can tell?
Dont know.

I was just fortunate enough to see the position drilling. The 11 on 11s were more difficult for me to see from the end zone as they were on teh opposite 30 or 40 yard line.

Seems to me though, from what I could tell, for the most part the ZBS has remained.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

We've said it many times here before. Torrain is not a drills guy, he won't really impress there. What he is though, is a scraper on the field with alot of raw talent. I still think he has much to learn from Turner but if he can stay healthy, he will be used more then people expect this year. He might even see some time on ST's. I think between him, Hillis, Moreno and Buckhalter, we surely have a much stronger backfield then last year. I fully expect this group to produce, as a group, big time rushing and receiving numbers this year.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

You saw the same deep pass drop that we did.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

This thread is ****ing gay!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Did I miss something or didn't Stokley show up today?
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Im calling it now, McKinley is going to be the camp superstar. Means he probably wont make the team..
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

does mckinley punch babies for fun? eat metal for dinner?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Did I miss something or didn't Stokley show up today?
Stokely was there, but you pretty much know what you are going to get from Stokes. Dude doesnt take plays off and doesnt make mistakes. He's lost a step though. Still, will be a crucial possession receiver I think.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
iDENVER
Seasoned Veteran

-BroNcOs-

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

did b marsh seem happy? lol
iDENVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:

Im calling it now, McKinley is going to be the camp superstar. Means he probably wont make the team.
You could see he had talent at South Carolina.

His stats would have been even better there, if Spurrier could have found a decent QB.

Still he had 2,781 receiving yards and 19 TDs at SC.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #16
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

McKinley is soft IMO.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I got to watch practice for the first time today but mostly I just saw the RBs and WRs as they were down by the endzone and few others came our way.

Receivers practiced down here a lot. Brandon looks really good, and in good condition, but he wasnt teh most impressive of the receivers. Royal too, excellent form and great hands. But McKinley was the guy I took the most notice of. Not even knowing who this guy was I kept referring back to my roster sheet and kept saying "McKinley again? Wow".What I noticed, besides the excellent hands he has, is that he was running sharper and cripser routes than even Eddie and had no trouble with the pseudo jam drill's they were doing. The kid seemed to be able to turn on a dime at will and his head swivels back to the QB fast as hell to find that ball.

Brandon did make some pretty amazing one handed grabs, one even behind his back (positional coaches throwing to him during drills).

I will say this, Brandon Marshall is a menacing person in real life. Not his attitude, but his sheer size is incredible. I had no idea how much bigger he was than just about everyone. The only person I saw who made Brandon actually LOOK small was Clady who is just a mountain of a man.

I also got some interesting looks at the RBs and Bobby Turner who does not **** around.

So, Buckhalter kind of half assed an out of the backfield to the flat route and Turner said "get over here, do it again, this time come step on my toe" (as Turner stood in position) and apparently, Buckhalter got the message because he didnt take anything off from that point forward. In drills, he was the best RB. Best moves, sharpest cuts, best hands of the bunch. In DRILLS.

Peyton Hillis looks a little leaner and a ****load meaner. He will definitely be in the backfield more often than not this year, and if he isnt its a damn shame. Lamon Jordon seems to have some power behind him and runs with authority but isnt very fast and doesnt have the greatest moves. Might be a good short yardage or goal line option for us though. He is rather large.

Torain was unimpressive in drills. in DRILLS.

Now I saw a few of the 11 on 11 drills and this is where I saw who was our best actual backs IMO. Torain was just tearing it up. I talked to OSKIE who had the opposite vantage point (I was behind the offense, he was behind the defense) and he said once in the secondary that Torain was undressing those fools. He hit the right hole's at the right time though, I didnt seem him make the wrong cut even once and once he hit it he was gone. IF (and its a huge if) this dude stays healthy, Moreno may never see the field. I cant speak to that though as Moreno was not practicing.

** BONUS COVERAGE**
The QBs were on the far field and I didnt watch em much as there was interesting things right in front of me but I did notice Orton threw a beautiful bomb to Marshall about 50 yards or so, perfectly on target...and Marshall dropped it. Didnt watch teh ball in but man, it was a nice tight spiral.

Chris Simms seems to have some good zip on the ball, Orton isnt quite as hard but I dont think we have to worry about lame ducks from either.
Nice Alec, thanks for the info. Love me some Bobby Turner!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #18
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
does mckinley punch babies for fun? eat metal for dinner?
Dunno, but I heard he beat up on Tedd Bruschi before practice........
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote