The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Lombardi: McDaniels rookie year

Diner morning news: McDaniels’ rookie year

Some excerpts below. Read the whole column at:

http://www.nfpost.com/Diner-morning-...okie-year.html

"Dumervil is just an average rusher against bad tackles and is not very effective when the competition rises. He would have a hard time starting for many quality defensive teams in the NFL, which is always the key assessment."

"McDaniels will be different each week. At times, he will be very aggressive with his calls; at other times, he will be very deliberate. He will be a student of how to give his team a chance to win games and will excel in this area."

I WISH WE HAD DONE...

There will be no doubt that this year the Broncos might take some steps to improve their defense, but they will still be too many players short of being consistent. I really believe they’ll regret not getting more beef for their defensive line in the draft; in fact, they should have dedicated more of the draft to the defensive line. Picking one defensive lineman for a team as bad in the defensive line as they are was a mistake. It will set the recovery time back. They’re so thin in the defensive line, it might get ugly in October if injuries occur to their front line players.

Drafting three defensive backs might look good now, especially since every starter in the secondary is over 30 years old, but with no pressure, they’ll be exposed no matter how young or old. Second-round pick Alphonso Smith (5-9, 193) worries me with his size at corner, especially when opponents get into the red area and try to find the smallest corner to throw the fade.

THINGS WILL BE DIFFERENT NEXT YEAR

McDaniels made a bold move trading Cutler, but by next season he will either be a hero or on the hot seat, depending on how his team plays. He controls his future with his ability to coach, lead the team and evaluate. The key for the team in 2010 will be finding out whether McDaniels has the Belichick ability to evaluate players or if he’s like other coaches from the tree, unable to handle that key element. My sense is McDaniels will be a very good coach for years to come, and much better in 2010.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

I love how everybody complains we didn't draft more defensive linemen without offering up who we should have drafted and when. Completely ignoring the fact that even if we did draft more in the later rounds odds are they wouldn't have done much anyway. The shotgun approach worked so well for Shanahan after all...
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
I love how everybody complains we didn't draft more defensive linemen without offering up who we should have drafted and when. Completely ignoring the fact that even if we did draft more in the later rounds odds are they wouldn't have done much anyway. The shotgun approach worked so well for Shanahan after all...
exactly. Mike had a tendency to draft guys based on them playing a position of need when they weren't an improvement over the guys they were brought in to compete with.

i like that McDaniels didn't waste picks on guys who would NOT have helped the team. he used picks on guys he felt would contribute and be of use to the team.

also, had he drafted Baker, Pedesleu(sp?), or Rulon in the mid to late rounds like they were projected instead of getting them as UDFA, no one would have anything to b**** about.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
exactly. Mike had a tendency to draft guys based on them playing a position of need when they weren't an improvement over the guys they were brought in to compete with.

i like that McDaniels didn't waste picks on guys who would NOT have helped the team. he used picks on guys he felt would contribute and be of use to the team.

also, had he drafted Baker, Pedesleu(sp?), or Rulon in the mid to late rounds like they were projected instead of getting them as UDFA, no one would have anything to b**** about.
You guys are tailoring your assessment of Ron Brace too much around the FOs decision not to draft him. In reality, it shows an emphasis on winning now more than anything. This is evident in the fact that Belichick, himself, drafted Ron Brace. So, obviously Belichick thought he was worth taking in the 2nd. Of course, NE has one of the better NTs in the league in Wilfork and Brace will have the luxury of acclimating to the pro game prior to being thrown into the fire. If Denver drafted Ron Brace, there would have been a greater likelihood to rely on him. It also would have meant foregoing addressing other areas.

Last edited by lex; 07-31-2009 at 01:08 PM..
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

I agree with lex here...cringe...all the babble about the defensive line basically boils down to the decision not to draft Brace. Time will tell. Conventional wisdom says they did well in UDFA, but I think we look thin at DL just as Lombardi does.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote