The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Manny, Ortiz tested positive

Didn't see it posted...

Manny isn't as surprising...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4366335
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

ortiz does have a point in that, at the time, it wasnt breaking the rules to be using. against the law, yes. but not against the rules at the time.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...&postcount=756

BTW, is it actually illegal in the DR? Im under the impression that its not.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Just makes Griffey look that much better!! To wonder what could have happened had he stayed healthy.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
ortiz does have a point in that, at the time, it wasnt breaking the rules to be using. against the law, yes. but not against the rules at the time.
Blah blah blah he would be an empty uniform without the juice.
Attached Images

SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
Blah blah blah he would be an empty uniform without the juice.
i dont give a **** about baseball at all, just saying, he does have a point. doesnt make it right as now they have to compare records to people who werent on (or were they and they didnt get caught?)
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i dont give a **** about baseball at all, just saying, he does have a point. doesnt make it right as now they have to compare records to people who werent on (or were they and they didnt get caught?)
Any and all dopers should be expunged from the record books. Give Maris and Aaron back the records as home run kings.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Any and all dopers should be expunged from the record books. Give Maris and Aaron back the records as home run kings.
For all the boo hooing you here from the media, not enough people really care.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
sutoazul
Independently Owned

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...&postcount=756

BTW, is it actually illegal in the DR? Im under the impression that its not.
It was not ilegal at the time in the DR either, just as it wasn't in the majors. However it was frowned upon just like in the US.

Something that's bothering me is that all the guys "new" guys that are being routed out on the steroids scandals are mostly Dominicans.

I think they should just make all the names public from that damn list. It's a shame for baseball that all it's best players are comming out to be all positive one time or another.
sutoazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
How do you know they weren't taking anything?? It wasn't illeagal in baseball to do it until 04-05. It wasn't against the rules to take that stuff then so who cares..i would have done it to. You can't tell me you wouldn't do the same either. They really need to let this stuff go its getting old.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Canseco says MLB facing bigger issue

Jose Canseco, whose 2005 book arguably started the cascade of revelations and an investigation into the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, barely raised an eyebrow when he was told David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez are reportedly on the list of 104 players who tested positive in 2003.

"When you tell me something I didn't already know, I'll be surprised,'' Canseco told ESPN. "And I'll tell you this, Major League Baseball is going to have a big, big problem on their hands when they find out they have a Hall of Famer who's used."

When asked to name who that Hall of Fame player is, Canseco refused to divulge who he believes it is.

[MLB] created this mess because they couldn't control the list of 104 ... This list was supposed to be confidential. We're seeing that, like Watergate, the cover-up always blows up in your face.

-- Jose Canseco

"It's not about naming names,'' he said. "I've never had anything against the players. It's always been against Major League Baseball. I know who's on that list, but like I said, it's not about attacking the players. It's about the machine that allowed this to happen. What I speak out of my mouth is the truth. It burns like fire. Just remember, I have never lied about this subject."

In Canseco's book, "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'roids and Smash Hits and How Baseball Got Big," he detailed what he called the game's rampant use of performance-enhancing drugs. He was initially vilified, but most of his allegations subsequently have proven to be true.

At the time, in 2005, Canseco said he believed 80 percent of big league players were using some substance to enhance their statistics. He since has amended that number.

"If you were in the game in the last 20 years, there's a 95 percent chance you were knowingly using something,'' Canseco said. "I said 80 percent back then because that was the number of players that I knew were on. But that number was greater.''

Canseco, whose career spanned 17 seasons and included 462 home runs, said Major League Baseball could be staring at a far greater problem than just the list of 104 players potentially being released.

"If the players turn on Major League Baseball, it's going to get far worse and ugly,'' he said. "They created this mess because they couldn't control the list of 104. Baseball could be looking at a major class-action lawsuit if the players decide to band together. This list was supposed to be confidential. We're seeing that, like Watergate, the cover-up always blows up in your face. It may take five, 10, 15 years, but the forensic files always seem to surface. Again, tell me if I've ever lied when it comes to this?"

ESPN legal analyst Lester Munson said Canseco's claim of a class action lawsuit is probably baseless on several fronts.

"One reason is that the government is involved,'' Munson said. "The FBI and the IRS came into those labs and took those samples and the scorecards to tell who was who on the list. If the players sued the players union and Major League Baseball, those two would say it wasn't them, it was the government.

"Could they get a lawyer to file a case? Without a doubt. But I don't see it as a really strong case. It's an interesting idea, but it would probably be dismissed quickly."
Old 07-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Canseco says MLB facing bigger issue

Jose Canseco, whose 2005 book arguably started the cascade of revelations and an investigation into the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, barely raised an eyebrow when he was told David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez are reportedly on the list of 104 players who tested positive in 2003.

"When you tell me something I didn't already know, I'll be surprised,'' Canseco told ESPN. "And I'll tell you this, Major League Baseball is going to have a big, big problem on their hands when they find out they have a Hall of Famer who's used."

When asked to name who that Hall of Fame player is, Canseco refused to divulge who he believes it is.

[MLB] created this mess because they couldn't control the list of 104 ... This list was supposed to be confidential. We're seeing that, like Watergate, the cover-up always blows up in your face.

-- Jose Canseco

"It's not about naming names,'' he said. "I've never had anything against the players. It's always been against Major League Baseball. I know who's on that list, but like I said, it's not about attacking the players. It's about the machine that allowed this to happen. What I speak out of my mouth is the truth. It burns like fire. Just remember, I have never lied about this subject."

In Canseco's book, "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'roids and Smash Hits and How Baseball Got Big," he detailed what he called the game's rampant use of performance-enhancing drugs. He was initially vilified, but most of his allegations subsequently have proven to be true.

At the time, in 2005, Canseco said he believed 80 percent of big league players were using some substance to enhance their statistics. He since has amended that number.

"If you were in the game in the last 20 years, there's a 95 percent chance you were knowingly using something,'' Canseco said. "I said 80 percent back then because that was the number of players that I knew were on. But that number was greater.''

Canseco, whose career spanned 17 seasons and included 462 home runs, said Major League Baseball could be staring at a far greater problem than just the list of 104 players potentially being released.

"If the players turn on Major League Baseball, it's going to get far worse and ugly,'' he said. "They created this mess because they couldn't control the list of 104. Baseball could be looking at a major class-action lawsuit if the players decide to band together. This list was supposed to be confidential. We're seeing that, like Watergate, the cover-up always blows up in your face. It may take five, 10, 15 years, but the forensic files always seem to surface. Again, tell me if I've ever lied when it comes to this?"

ESPN legal analyst Lester Munson said Canseco's claim of a class action lawsuit is probably baseless on several fronts.

"One reason is that the government is involved,'' Munson said. "The FBI and the IRS came into those labs and took those samples and the scorecards to tell who was who on the list. If the players sued the players union and Major League Baseball, those two would say it wasn't them, it was the government.

"Could they get a lawyer to file a case? Without a doubt. But I don't see it as a really strong case. It's an interesting idea, but it would probably be dismissed quickly."
I wonder if its Reggie Jackson or maybe Ricky Henderson.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #13
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I'm thinking someone who got tested and was inducted into the Hall recently?!
Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Ken Griffey is the only player I do not suspect to ahve used Roids in the last 15 years.

Maybe Lance Berkman too.

I wouldnt be surprised if either did though.

I just dont trust the sport.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'm thinking someone who got tested and was inducted into the Hall recently?!
I dont know why it couldnt be Reggie Jackson. He was a power hitter that played with Canseco at the tail end of his career and might have used to prolong his career or play at a level that he felt ok with.

I could also see Ricky Henderson.

Its kind of hard to tell though with all the teams Canseco played for.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
I dont know why it couldnt be Reggie Jackson. He was a power hitter that played with Canseco at the tail end of his career and might have used to prolong his career or play at a level that he felt ok with.

I could also see Ricky Henderson.

Its kind of hard to tell though with all the teams Canseco played for.
Didn't Reggie finish with the Angles?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #17
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutoazul View Post
It was not ilegal at the time in the DR either, just as it wasn't in the majors. However it was frowned upon just like in the US.
Saying that they weren't illegal in MLB before 2005 doesn't really tell the whole story. The non-medical use or possession of steroids has been illegal in the US since 1990. The law classifies them the same as meth and opium.

It's true that MLB and the union didn't agree upon the PED policy until 2005, but it's also true that MLB doesn't have policies against kidnapping or possession of child pr0n. If a player is guilty of committing either of those crimes, is it OK in baseball's eyes because they don't have an official policy?
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #18
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
How do you know they weren't taking anything?? It wasn't illeagal in baseball to do it until 04-05. It wasn't against the rules to take that stuff then so who cares..i would have done it to. You can't tell me you wouldn't do the same either. They really need to let this stuff go its getting old.
Is that you, Mr. Selig?
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #19
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
Saying that they weren't illegal in MLB before 2005 doesn't really tell the whole story. The non-medical use or possession of steroids has been illegal in the US since 1990. The law classifies them the same as meth and opium.

It's true that MLB and the union didn't agree upon the PED policy until 2005, but it's also true that MLB doesn't have policies against kidnapping or possession of child pr0n. If a player is guilty of committing either of those crimes, is it OK in baseball's eyes because they don't have an official policy?
No but they shouldn't have an * by their name. It'd be like if a guy smoked pot or did any other illeagal drug he should have an * by his name then!! There would be a lot of asteriks in the record books!!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Just makes Griffey look that much better!! To wonder what could have happened had he stayed healthy.
not only that, but had he done what everyone else had, his numbers would be insane.

in his prime he was better than any player that has been implicated in using performance enhancers ever could have hoped to be.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutoazul View Post

Something that's bothering me is that all the guys "new" guys that are being routed out on the steroids scandals are mostly Dominicans.

I think they should just make all the names public from that damn list. It's a shame for baseball that all it's best players are comming out to be all positive one time or another.
is anyone really surprised that any of these guys are being outed as users?

i am just hoping Pujols is truthful in his claims that he has never used roids and is doing it like Griffey. Pujols is my favorite player in the league right now, and i hope he is clean
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #22
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Didn't Reggie finish with the Angles?
http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...acksre01.shtml

No, he was with the As in 87. I actually thought he spent a couple of more years there but I remembered him being there when McGwire and Canseco were young.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #23
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Ricky Henderson came to mind and Canseco played with him obviously... I just hope it's not one of my heroes like a Cal Ripken Jr. or Tony Gwynn.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #24
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It's unbelievable to me that the government inserted themselves in this issue.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:04 AM   #25
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
It's unbelievable to me that the government inserted themselves in this issue.
Yep....and if I were the players, I would be livid that this list of names is being leaked.

This information was never supposed to be released.

Players were tested in 2003 as part of Major League Baseball's survey to determine if it was necessary to impose mandatory random drug testing in 2004. There were no penalties for a positive test in 2003.

As part of the drug agreement between the union and MLB, the results of the testing of 1,198 players also were meant to be anonymous. Penalties began in 2004 and suspensions for a first positive test started in 2005.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote