The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Article on Depth Chart with Traffic Warning for Training Camp

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12942252

Quote:
McD: Early depth charts are "fluid"
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/30/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 07/30/2009 01:08:00 AM MDT

This is one year when Broncos fans might find greater difficulty getting to training camp than figuring out who has the early lead on starting positions.

Dove Valley has been a construction zone this summer, and while progress has been made in recent days, fans may need patience getting in and out of the free parking lots come Friday, when camp opens to the public.

Once fans arrive and pass through the no-admission ropes, they merely have to see who's playing with Kyle Orton on offense and who's playing with Champ Bailey on defense to figure out the Broncos' current starters.

Former coach Mike Shanahan used to wait until after the first week of training camp before revealing his first depth chart. New coach Josh McDaniels may

be more definitive Friday — so long as people understand competition for jobs almost always leads to depth-chart changes.
"You've got to put somebody first, and you've got to put somebody second," McDaniels said. "The one thing about the depth chart I'd say early is that it's very fluid. There's probably multiple spots where we'll say, 'All right, you're going to start the morning practice, and then the afternoon practice it's going to be somebody else.' "

The starters based on first units used in the team's final minicamp in mid-June:

Defense: (Front three) Kenny Peterson, Ron Fields, Ryan McBean; (linebackers) D.J. Williams, Andra Davis, Robert Ayers and Elvis Dumervil/Tim Crowder/Darrell Reid; (secondary) Bailey, Andre Goodman, Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill.

Offense: (Quarterback) Orton; (line) Ryan Clady, Ben Hamilton, Casey Wiegmann, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris; (tight end) Daniel Graham; (tailback) Correll Buckhalter/LaMont Jordan/Knowshon Moreno; (receivers) Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney/Brandon Marshall and Brandon Stokley.

Still waiting on Moreno, Ayers.

Wednesday marked the final day of the mostly rookies practices. Veterans are scheduled to report this morning, weigh in, complete the conditioning test and start meetings. The team will hold a full-squad walkthrough practice in the afternoon.

Still, the most anticipated arrivals will be first-round draft picks Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers, both of whom remain unsigned.

"I don't know how to measure progress at this point. To me, progress is going to be they're going to be here," McDaniels said. "We're not going to stop talking to their representatives, and again, (we're) looking forward to Robert and Know- shon being here as soon as possible."

As of Wednesday, only six first- round draft picks had signed contracts, stalling the process around the league.

"I don't necessarily think this is uncommon, yet, for this to be going on," McDaniels said. "We're

Blog: All Things Broncos

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.
just waiting for the dominos to fall in place, and that's about how the first round goes."
Moreno was still in Athens, Ga., on Wednesday, working out with his former teammates at the University of Georgia.

No Marshall or Williams.

Wide receiver Marshall and linebacker Williams, two of the four injured veterans who reported to camp early, were held out of Wednesday's hour-long practice for precautionary reasons.

Marshall was spotted at the facility late Wednesday morning, walking through the parking lot that separates the weight room from the main building wearing his workout clothes.

Both players had surgery in the offseason, Marshall on his hip and Williams on his shoulder.

McDaniels said all injured players have been participating in meetings with the rest of their teammates.

"They'll get all the teaching and coaching that everyone else gets in the meeting room," McDaniels said. "They won't get any less coaching."

Footnote.

The team waived injured rookie wide receiver Lucas Taylor. Taylor, who reported on Monday, had not participated in the first three days of practice, but McDaniels would not discuss the nature of his injury.

Mike Klis and Lindsay H. Jones, The Denver Post
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
kent156
King of the Ants

Change Kenny peterson with Marcus thomas and Ryan mcbean with Carlton powell and we are set.
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

I still don't understand why everyone hates Peterson so much. All he did was produce when he was given a chance. He had 3 sacks from the DT position on a team where the team leader had 4 from DE.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
I still don't understand why everyone hates Peterson so much. All he did was produce when he was given a chance. He had 3 sacks from the DT position on a team where the team leader had 4 from DE.

Look at where he went to high school.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
I was wondering this also

I thought he was one of the bright spots
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Look at where he went to high school.
So he went to high school with McDaniels and that changes the fact that he was a good player when the tards running the D last year finally put him in over the rejects they started? He and Ekuban were our most consistant linemen the last 2 years on D. Every time he was out there I remember him flying all over making plays.

I'm sure it also doesn't hurt his 3-4 prospects that he was a DE coming out of college and that he has the body type of a 3-4 DE.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So he went to high school with McDaniels and that changes the fact that he was a good player when the tards running the D last year finally put him in over the rejects they started? He and Ekuban were our most consistant linemen the last 2 years on D. Every time he was out there I remember him flying all over making plays.
Its the HS thing plus, also, people, I think, want improvement on the DL and Peterson represents more of the same from the old regime. And given that he does kind of represent more of the same from the old regime, it also makes it seem like he wouldnt be there if not for the HS connection.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Its the HS thing plus, also, people, I think, want improvement on the DL and Peterson represents more of the same from the old regime.
Fair enough, but it seems to me that those people must not have watched him play the last 2 years and are basing their opinions on a dislike for McD.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Sucks about Taylor, doesn't seem he got a shot. That must be tough.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Fair enough, but it seems to me that those people must not have watched him play the last 2 years and are basing their opinions on a dislike for McD.
Possibly but what youre saying is kind of a leap. I mean, its possible that people dislike McDaniels because the DL wasnt suitably addressed. There are some who soured on him after the draft. You have to be careful how you attribute points of view to people.

Yeah, there are some who disliked him before and this provides the opportunity to pile on. Another aspect to this is that McDaniels put his brother on the staff. So there is an undercurrent of nepotism in play also.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent156 View Post
Change Kenny peterson with Marcus thomas and Ryan mcbean with Carlton powell and we are set.
maybe...

i wanna see how it plays out in camp...i don't care who the names are, i just want the best qualified at each spot to start, and we won't know til after camp...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
kent156
King of the Ants

Quote:
sacks are worthless if they are garbage sacks, i like peterson just not as a starter. I just think others have a bigger upset with better coaching.
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #13
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Possibly but what youre saying is kind of a leap. I mean, its possible that people dislike McDaniels because the DL wasnt suitably addressed. There are some who soured on him after the draft. You have to be careful how you attribute points of view to people.

Yeah, there are some who disliked him before and this provides the opportunity to pile on. Another aspect to this is that McDaniels put his brother on the staff. So there is an undercurrent of nepotism in play also.
That's true, in a few cases, not that his brother got an important job by any means. The Paxton signing also comes to mind . Shanahan did the same things, so it isn't exclusive to McD.

I just don't see what's wrong with Peterson. Especially when Powell is given as one of the better players, who NOBODY has seen play against NFL competition. I want to believe that Powell will excell given his NCAA stats, but to say that he should be replacing anyone, especially while coming off an achilles tear is a bit much.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #14
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent156 View Post
sacks are worthless if they are garbage sacks, i like peterson just not as a starter. I just think others have a bigger upset with better coaching.
Were all of his sacks garbage sacks? I have no idea, but I remember him playing well every time he was in the game. I was forced to notice him because of how active he was. He was running plays down from behind as a DT. I really don't know why he wasn't played as the DE opposite Ekuban on non-passing downs so we didn't get run over while tiring out Dumervil.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman444 View Post
Sucks about Taylor, doesn't seem he got a shot. That must be tough.
thats why i dont sit here and hate on people, calling them "camp fodder" and ****. they work ridiculously hard trying to make a team, you think they like being called a player who is being signed just to get cut in 3 weeks?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Dude, your retardation knows no bounds. First off, McDaniels' brother is not our D-coordinator, he's not a position coach, he's basically that guy that holds the headset cord (if they hadn't gone wireless). And, gosh, i dunno, maybe he knows a thing or two about football too! You act like next year he's going to let his mother call the plays.

And to not want Peterson because he's symbolic of the old regime is stupid. He's not dick cheney, he was probably the one bright spot on our line last season. Also, for the people who demand Carlton Powell start, what the hell is this based on? Perhaps he might be a good player, but he's never played even a down of preseason NFL football in his life.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Dude, your retardation knows no bounds. First off, McDaniels' brother is not our D-coordinator, he's not a position coach, he's basically that guy that holds the headset cord (if they hadn't gone wireless). And, gosh, i dunno, maybe he knows a thing or two about football too! You act like next year he's going to let his mother call the plays.

And to not want Peterson because he's symbolic of the old regime is stupid. He's not dick cheney, he was probably the one bright spot on our line last season. Also, for the people who demand Carlton Powell start, what the hell is this based on? Perhaps he might be a good player, but he's never played even a down of preseason NFL football in his life.

Hold on there ****head. Im not acting like anything. The guy asked a question tied into why people are sour on Peterson/McDaniels and I spoke of some of the various reasons out there.

Anyone with a 5th grade reading comprehension can see that. Given that, you're not in the position to call anyone retarded. Youre too limited by your own stupidity for your insults to mean anything.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Hold on there ****head. Im not acting like anything. The guy asked a question tied into why people are sour on Peterson/McDaniels and I spoke of some of the various reasons out there.

Anyone with a 5th grade reading comprehension can see that. Given that, you're not in the position to call anyone retarded. Youre too limited by your own stupidity for your insults to mean anything.
I love when you get flustered and just say things like "im stupid? no you're stupid." Your reasons are completely unjustified and you're blinded by your hate for McDaniels.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I love when you get flustered and just say things like "im stupid? no you're stupid." Your reasons are completely unjustified and you're blinded by your hate for McDaniels.

I guess you feel that because you called me stupid first, calling you stupid is off limits even though you've clearly demonstrated a defiency in reading comprehension.

"I better call him stupid before he calls me stupid." Its time to get out of grade school, dude.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I guess you feel that because you called me stupid first, calling you stupid is off limits even though you've clearly demonstrated a defiency in reading comprehension.

"I better call him stupid before he calls me stupid." Its time to get out of grade school, dude.
Whatever, dude. You keep forgetting that regardless of the context, i just flat out disagree with your reasoning, which i know you concur with. But yes, i shouldnt have called you retarded. The dude at the breakfast counter burned my eggs this morning, so im hungry and punchy
Old 07-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #21
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Whatever, dude. You keep forgetting that regardless of the context, i just flat out disagree with your reasoning, which i know you concur with. But yes, i shouldnt have called you retarded. The dude at the breakfast counter burned my eggs this morning, so im hungry and punchy

I dont care if you disagree with me. Just know that if you respond to something I say specifically with something that doesnt fit with what I said, your reading comprehension is going to be called into question. I have minimal tolerance for recycled emotional diatribe.

Last edited by lex; 07-30-2009 at 09:09 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #22
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Boys, boys! Back on topic please!
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I dont care if you disagree with me. Just know that if you respond to something I say specifically with something that doesnt fit with what I said, your reading comprehension is going to be called into question. I have minimal tolerance for recycled emotional diatribe.
Dude, you weren't quoting from fact, you were offering your opinion which is based on your McDaniels hatred. And since you're such a fan of reading comprehension, you'll notice the statement i picked on was your asinine one about McDaniels brother which was YOUR opinion, not the regergatation of someone else's. So go retake the SAT or something, ****head
Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #24
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Dude, you weren't quoting from fact, you were offering your opinion which is based on your McDaniels hatred. And since you're such a fan of reading comprehension, you'll notice the statement i picked on was your asinine one about McDaniels brother which was YOUR opinion, not the regergatation of someone else's. So go retake the SAT or something, ****head
More emotional diatribe. Youre still swinging and missing.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #25
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Its the HS thing plus, also, people, I think, want improvement on the DL and Peterson represents more of the same from the old regime. And given that he does kind of represent more of the same from the old regime, it also makes it seem like he wouldnt be there if not for the HS connection.

Did Marcus Thomas and Elvis go to high school with McDaniels too?
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote