The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Default OT-Drew Brees crazy mom...

http://deadspin.com/5325408/drew-bre...p-to-extortion

For the record, Saints QB Drew Brees still has a "nonexistent" relationship with his mother, so he probably didn't sign off on her recent plan to dupe Texas restaurants into paying her for the name of their own business.

The situation is a little confusing, but apparently Mina Brees, who is a lawyer in Austin, sent of a series of letters to Houston restaurant owners informing them that she had purchased their "assumed business names" from the county clerk. Her company, Chicksports Inc. (seriously?), was gracious enough to offer the names back to them for the low, low price of $20,000. This is basically like cybersquatting on a domain name, only without the fun of the internet.

Of course, things work differently in the real world. Technically, the business names do expire, but if you've already been doing business under that name then no one can make you change it. A lawyer for the restaurant owners' association said the whole thing is bunk and added, "I'm a member of the bar, and it's embarrassing for someone in our profession to do something like that." In other words, "Nice try, nut job."

Ms. Brees plan for financial glory has worked almost as well as her campaign strategy of improperly using her estranged son's face to try and get elected to the Texas Court of Appeals. It's true the rural Texan voters love anything associated with quarterbacks from New Orleans, but perhaps she should give her schemes a little more thought.

NFL QB's mom demands money from Houston restaurants [Houston Chronicle

I happen to like Brees, so it sucks his mother is bat**** crazy.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Wow, I'm at a loss of words how messed up that is.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I hate that garbage where people buy up domain names for BestBuy and **** and then want mad cash for them. **** you people
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

I guess this took care of the 'crazy' Mom issue.

Coroner: Saints QB Brees' mother dies at 59

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=4386320

Updated: August 10, 2009, 5:28 PM ET
Brees leaves Saints camp

METAIRIE, La. -- New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees was excused from training camp Saturday for an undisclosed family matter.

A medical examiner said Monday that Mina Brees, Drew Brees' mother, died Friday in western Colorado, but the cause of death is still under investigation.

Grand County chief deputy coroner Cindy Eller said Mina Brees died there, but Eller declined to identify the town or release any other information.

Grand County is in the mountains about 50 miles northwest of Denver and includes the western part of Rocky Mountain National Park and the Winter Park ski resort.

Drew Brees was back practicing with the Saints on Monday in Metairie, La. Team officials said Monday they would have no comment.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

steal the names and sell em back too them have a nice dirt nap mina.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I hate that garbage where people buy up domain names for BestBuy and **** and then want mad cash for them. **** you people
Didnt that happen to Warren Sapp where some kid bought his domain name and then Sapp was trying to get it but the kid either didnt cough it up or tried to get Sapp to pay for it?
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
steal the names and sell em back too them have a nice dirt nap mina.
I about choked on this...

the cause of death is still under investigation -
Did she leave these to Drew in her will?
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Wow. Sad story. Sounds like a troubled woman.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

The irony of death after pulling that stunt leaves me chuckling with a blank face.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
10-15 years ago, people got rich doing that. The law firm I worked at had alotta Internet clients back in the early 1990s, and I recall the URL www.loans.com sold for over a million dollars. That's not squatting exactly, but that's a lotta money for a $35 investment (cost of a URL back then). You could always squat on abbreviations, like www.hp.com etc ... a ton of those sold big, too.

Another great get-rich-quick-legally scheme was to register yourself as a long distance carrier company (access is pretty easy, the feds license the lines very liberally). Back when they had payphones especially, people would call a long-distance number, and the operator would ask, "which long distance carrier would you like?" Sone very smart guys registered carrier names, "whichever is cheapest," "I don't care," "Doesn't matter."

Again, people literally got rich with that.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
http://deadspin.com/5325408/drew-bre...p-to-extortion

For the record, Saints QB Drew Brees still has a "nonexistent" relationship with his mother, so he probably didn't sign off on her recent plan to dupe Texas restaurants into paying her for the name of their own business.

The situation is a little confusing, but apparently Mina Brees, who is a lawyer in Austin, sent of a series of letters to Houston restaurant owners informing them that she had purchased their "assumed business names" from the county clerk. Her company, Chicksports Inc. (seriously?), was gracious enough to offer the names back to them for the low, low price of $20,000. This is basically like cybersquatting on a domain name, only without the fun of the internet.

Of course, things work differently in the real world. Technically, the business names do expire, but if you've already been doing business under that name then no one can make you change it. A lawyer for the restaurant owners' association said the whole thing is bunk and added, "I'm a member of the bar, and it's embarrassing for someone in our profession to do something like that." In other words, "Nice try, nut job."

Ms. Brees plan for financial glory has worked almost as well as her campaign strategy of improperly using her estranged son's face to try and get elected to the Texas Court of Appeals. It's true the rural Texan voters love anything associated with quarterbacks from New Orleans, but perhaps she should give her schemes a little more thought.

NFL QB's mom demands money from Houston restaurants [Houston Chronicle

I happen to like Brees, so it sucks his mother is bat**** crazy.

She might be Crazy, but for a MILF I'd do her.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote