The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default Kislzla: Marshall "Catch a Clue..."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12926883

Stuck in a dead-end job you keep doing only to pay the bills? Brandon Marshall knows exactly how you feel.

Of course, Marshall's job in Denver will pay him about $2.2 million this year to play football.

It must really, really stink to be Marshall.

No wonder the disgruntled 25-year-old receiver would rather be anywhere except here, stuck at training camp with men obviously beneath his Pro Bowl stature, wearing a Broncos uniform.

"It says Denver Broncos on my chest right now," Marshall said Monday, tugging on the team emblem adorning his T-shirt.

But his heart obviously wasn't in his work.

Marshall admitted the primary reason he showed up was to avoid the fine of $15,888 per day for missing workouts.

"I definitely didn't want to get that fine, so I'm here," he said.

But everything about his body language shouted: Get me outta town.

If getting paid the big NFL bucks is his goal, Marshall has dropped the ball in the clutch.

Come to think of it, isn't that the No. 1 reason Marshall is a true superstar only in his own mind?

Pouting is a weak ploy to negotiate a lucrative contract. As the parent of any petulant child knows, rewarding bad behavior can only encourage more hissy fits.

Does Marshall want to be known as "The Beast" or a brat?

So I asked new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels if it really mattered if Marshall was an unhappy camper, so long as he punched the clock and reported to work.

"Of course," McDaniels replied, "you want every player to want to be here and want to do everything you're asking of them."

Trouble is: There are no popsicle breaks in the NFL.

While Marshall's hip injury is legitimate, hurt feelings don't count for anything. This is an adult league.

McDaniels might appear young enough to produce proof of age when he carries a case of beer to the checkout counter, but he's sure as heck too old to be a babysitter. Or, as Denver's new coach so concisely stated, "I'm not going to sit here and gauge one guy's feelings over another on a day-to-day basis."

After playing last season through the pain in a hip that required surgery in the spring, Marshall has reason for legitimate trust issues with the Broncos organization. After making 206 receptions in the past two seasons, he can make a strong argument for deserving a raise.

There's no excuse, however, for walking around with an unprofessional attitude. It makes zero business sense, especially considering that Marshall faces an Aug. 13 court date on domestic violence charges. What's more, with unanswered questions when we will see him back on the field for a game, the Broncos would be foolish to trade Marshall now, when his trade value is obviously down.

During economic times when keeping up with the mortgage is a major victory for millions of Americans, B-Marsh seems to be of the opinion that football owes him happiness.

"I have faith in conversations that I've had with ownership and my agent, and I'm just going to put my faith and belief in things that I've heard," Marshall said.

People close to Marshall might be advised to stop telling the receiver whatever he wants to hear.

Sure, there should be more Pro Bowl seasons in Marshall's future. In fact, there could be one in Denver this season, if he gave it a chance.

But, at 12.8 yards per catch for his career, Marshall is not a true superstar. He cannot beat a team by himself, the way Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald can.

Nobody of right mind would confuse Marshall with Jerry Rice, or even Randy Moss, for that matter.
Get a big raise?

What Marshall needs far worse is to catch a clue.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Qft
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Drama queen Kiszla, as usual.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Kiszla being a douche is as sure as the sun coming up.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Kiszla being a douche is as sure as the sun coming up.

Again, attacking the messenger isn't an argument.

What part do you disagree with, SoCal.

How is Marshall helping his own cause, here. If you represented him, would you recommend this behavior?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'd recommend he ignore whiners like you Popps.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

How is Marshall helping his own cause, here. If you represented him, would you recommend this behavior?
It doesn't bother me that he is indicating his unhappiness. We know its true, so it might as well be out in the open. He is doing what is required of him: appearing for mandatory practices. Nothing more is required on his end.

I don't see any problem. So long as he goes out there and performs and stays out of trouble off the field, that's all that's really important. He doesn't have to play nice.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Kiz may be a douche, but I can't say I disagree with any part of his editorial.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
This is an adult league.
Sadly, it's not.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
But, at 12.8 yards per catch for his career, Marshall is not a true superstar. He cannot beat a team by himself, the way Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald can.

Well we've already discussed how impugning Marshall for his YPC is dumb. But it's an even dumber thing to compare him to Fitzgerald who averages barely a yard per catch more than Marshall for his career.

WEAK.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
It doesn't bother me that he is indicating his unhappiness. We know its true, so it might as well be out in the open.
So, if you disliked your job... you'd show up, but be an a-hole? You'd spend all day b****ing about it and bringing everyone down around you?

That's cool?

If you represented him, you'd suggest that this is the best way to win over his employer?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
It doesn't bother me that he is indicating his unhappiness. We know its true, so it might as well be out in the open. He is doing what is required of him: appearing for mandatory practices. Nothing more is required on his end.

I don't see any problem. So long as he goes out there and performs and stays out of trouble off the field, that's all that's really important. He doesn't have to play nice.
You've continuously supported people and have commended them for being immature a-holes. Youre just being a contrarian for contrarians sake.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
So, if you disliked your job... you'd show up, but be an a-hole? You'd spend all day b****ing about it and bringing everyone down around you?

That's cool?

If you represented him, you'd suggest that this is the best way to win over his employer?
I don't agree that a proper characterization of how he has acted is "being an a-hole". He's been honest. He's in it to get paid. Good. That tells me he is a rational person, that's the whole goal of being an NFL player. Let's not romanticize this. This is a business. He is asked a question and he is providing an answer. He is there because he doesn't want to get docked. That's it. This isn't about loving the Broncos....this is a business and its a business on both sides. If he isn't asked a question, then you won't get an answer.

You mentioned a point about "winning over his employer"? He doesn't need to "Win over" anyone. What he needs to demonstrate is the following: 1) Continuing to dominate on the field 2) Staying out of trouble off the field. The goal here isn't to "win over the Broncos". The goal is to get paid by SOMEONE. If he does both, he will get paid by SOMEONE or the Broncos will be forced to give him yearly franchise tags, the cumulative effect of which will be just as lucrative if not more so, than a large extension.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
He doesn't need to "Win over" anyone. What he needs to demonstrate is the following: 1) Continuing to dominate on the field 2) Staying out of trouble off the field. The goal here isn't to "win over the Broncos".
Umm... if he wants a raise, he needs to win over his employer. That's how it works out there in the working world, SoCal.

Ask Jeff George. He's looking for work again. He's one of the most physically gifted guys to ever throw a football. Ask him why his bank account is on the light side these days.

Your notion that him performing on the field means it's just fine for him to be a team distraction is nonsense. (Terrell Owens, anyone?)

If you honestly believe that he's behaving just fine, then that's your opinion... though I've read your posts for years and I'd suspect you're a little too smart to believe that. Rather, this looks like more of the same manufactured passivity towards crappy behavior as long as that ****ty behavior creates problems for our new coach.

If Marshall was doing this on Shanahan's watch, you know you wouldn't have put up with it.

You know damned well.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Umm... if he wants a raise, he needs to win over his employer. That's how it works out there in the working world, SoCal.

Ask Jeff George. He's looking for work again. He's one of the most physically gifted guys to ever throw a football. Ask him why his bank account is on the light side these days.

Your notion that him performing on the field means it's just fine for him to be a team distraction is nonsense. (Terrell Owens, anyone?)

If you honestly believe that he's behaving just fine, then that's your opinion... though I've read your posts for years and I'd suspect you're a little too smart to believe that. Rather, this looks like more of the same manufactured passivity towards crappy behavior as long as that ****ty behavior creates problems for our new coach.

If Marshall was doing this on Shanahan's watch, you know you wouldn't have put up with it.

You know damned well.
Actually, Popps, if you look at my posting history, you will find that even under Shanahan, in player-management disputes I have continually argued that the player should definitely look out for his best interest, just as the team should as well...there is no moral blame in pursuing your best interests, since the team will almost certainly do the same and because at the end of the day, it is just a business. Nobody owes anybody anything. Each side should do whats best for itself...the team and the player.

Here are several examples of when I advocated that prior to McD becoming the coach:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...st#post1674082 (Post 27)

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...st#post1674065 (Post 18)

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...st#post1641224 (Post 10)

Here's one where I even defended your boy Plummer when he retired and took away from us the chance to get a pick for him in a trade:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...st#post1500672 (Post 9)

Oh and the point you made about how he needs to win the team over to get a raise is wrong. He doesn't. He's not necessarily interested in getting a raise from the Broncos. He's interested in getting a raise, period. So long as he dominates and stays clean off the field, he'll get that. He's not creating a huge circus, he's answering questions honestly. He isn't happy and he's here because he doesn't want to get docked in pay. We all know that is the truth of the matter and its perfectly logical. This isn't a fantasy world...players don't attend camp because they love the team...they attend camp because they want to get paid and want to be successful in the NFL so they can continue to get paid.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #16
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Ha. The notion that sulking the way Marshall has been characterized as doing would be okay in any other enterprise is foolhardy. Overtly sulking is always poor form.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #17
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Marshall's going to catch about 60 balls this year. It's gonna be ugly.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #18
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

You know damned well.
Or find a new employer, that seems the easier option. Certainly the rational one since it appears obvious that his current employer doesn't have the money to pay him and has most likely told him to his face that he is not getting paid.

I know, it is not like a team with a disgruntled WR could ever have success, I mean it is not like a team that has won 1 playoff game in like 30 years and has a disgruntled pro bowl WR could make the super bowl?

This isn't a league for hurt feelings, if Mcdaniels can't handle players taking issue with their contracts he doesn't belong. It looks like he has learned his lesson and is staying out of this one.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #19
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Marshall's going to catch about 60 balls this year. It's gonna be ugly.
Bowe's going to rupture a testicle in weak two. It's going to be messy.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

I would recommend him to do exactly what his contract calls for and nothing more. I would recommend that if he is just mildly sore or has a blister, he gets a second opinion. I would recommend that he doesn't say anything negative about the organization, but nothing positive either. I would recommend he says only positive things about his team mates.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #21
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Or find a new employer, that seems the easier option. Certainly the rational one since it appears obvious that his current employer doesn't have the money to pay him .
Sorry?

Doesn't have enough money? They have plenty of money to pay him. Casey W. got his contract, didn't he?

This has nothing to do with "having enough money."

Brandon has a contract. He should recognize it... it's got his signature on it.

This has everything to do with a franchise smartly and properly hedging its risk after a several years of foolishness like Travis Henry and Javon Walker.

See, it's not that they CAN'T pay him, it's that they're wisely choosing not to at this point.

Quote:
This isn't a league for hurt feelings.
Wrong thread. You're looking for the Cutler is a Gutless Drunk thread.

Quote:
if Mcdaniels can't handle players taking issue with their contracts he doesn't belong..
Seems to me that McDaniels has said the same thing since day one...

We'll see you in camp, Brandon.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #22
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Or find a new employer, that seems the easier option. Certainly the rational one since it appears obvious that his current employer doesn't have the money to pay him and has most likely told him to his face that he is not getting paid.

I know, it is not like a team with a disgruntled WR could ever have success, I mean it is not like a team that has won 1 playoff game in like 30 years and has a disgruntled pro bowl WR could make the super bowl?

This isn't a league for hurt feelings, if Mcdaniels can't handle players taking issue with their contracts he doesn't belong. It looks like he has learned his lesson and is staying out of this one.
Those were all hits. You sunk his battleship.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #23
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Oh and Popps, I hope you saw the little line under my username, I put that in there just for you.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #24
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
This isn't a fantasy world...players don't attend camp because they love the team..
SoCal, I'm older than you. I've watched the game longer. Don't be silly.

The past posts you referenced seem to deal more with the concept of it being O.K. for players to want more money, rather than the proper actions to pursue when this is the case.

Again, if Marshall were your player and you were an agent, or if he were your son... would you recommend that he show up and create as much self-centered distraction as possible, after a long history of legal trouble and team distractions/suspensions?

You really think this is the way for him to get paid?

C'mon, dude.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #25
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

I seriously doubt they told him point blank he isn't getting paid! No way! Reports are that Pat even offered him a new contract but that he turned it down. If that report is true perhaps Marshall's side turned it down because they didn't like the protection and incentive clauses in it that protect the Broncos from his considerable risks at the moment with the uncertainty over his hip/arm and his court case as well as his volatile off field behavior with women.

There is no way the Broncos would NOT reward him IF and WHEN those assurances and protections for the team are in place, or at least made a moot point, either after Aug 13th if he gets off scott free from the trial AND when he proves his hip really is recovered enough for a fully functional new season of high level performance.

Those are absolutely legitimate concerns the team has and both Marshall and his agent need to realize that . In fact, that he is here at least is proof that on some level they do understand the equation here.

All he has to do is provide for those contract protections for the Broncos and prove he can still play and that his hip can hold up to a training camp at least, and he has a shiny new deal the next day!

When Marshall stands up there trying to justify his market value and quotes "200 catches in two years" that is impressive, but he also needs to add "13 arrests/ or run-ins with the police", mostly for some sort of assault on women or other fights, a "sliced arm with permanent numbness on the top of his right hand" not ideal for a WR as his many critical drops last year tend to support", and "fresh hip surgery" which in the past has often been a career killer for fast skill positions like WR, RB and DBs.

That is a more balanced view of the true risk/reward equation around Marshall. The Broncos know it and so does Marshall.

On your second point, McD is handling this just the way he should. Even Marshall said McD is in frequent, if not daily, conversation with his agent. He has maintained a positive open attitude toward Marshall, and he has said he fully understands Marshall's position but that the Broncos have concerns as well that need to be met as well and that Marshall is under contract in the meantime.

This is much more about the message to the rest of the players as well. IF Marshall gets through the Aug 13th date and shows his hip is fine in the meantime, expect to see something worked out before the season starts. ... Assuming Marshall doesn't do something stupid and truly self-centered in the meantime like pout and whine himself off the team ala Baby Jay.

Last edited by Hulamau; 07-29-2009 at 12:49 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote