The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #51
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Geez, how soon people forget things. You tell them something, a week later they are here complaining about the trade of the pick. Look people, for the last time, Bowlen did not want to pay 4 1st round picks within 2 years time. If any of them bust, you are looking at a very long setback in your ability to sign other players to higher contracts. Smith was viewed by many as the top CB in the draft. Only his height is what kept some teams away from picking him in the 1st round. But if he turns out to be a great player, it certainly won't be the first time a shorter player that was overlooked due to his height will make the other 31 teams look silly for passing on him. And for the love of god, I'm so sick of hearing "top 5 pick" or "super high pick" in terms of what we gave up. Who knows, it could end up being a mid to low 1st round pick, which really isn't much of a difference. So before you continue to rant, why don't you wait until next year when we know were we stand on this issue.
if money was such in short supply he could have waited until next year and when his first round picks come up he could trade down and even trade down again. This way he gets value for his first round pick. Instead He trades Denver'd early first pick next year (likely) a top ten pick for the 37th overall pick in this draft.

That is so ridiculously stupid and can't fatham anyone making sense of this deal.

Just because you can't afford the salary doesn't mean you shouldn't try getting value for the trade.

There is no way you can justify trading a top 15 possibly top 10 pick for the 37th pick. You just can't do it.

Last edited by Atlas; 07-26-2009 at 07:03 PM..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #52
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Nice attempt at being witty, but after I burned you like a Jew the other day -- you must be trying real hard to try and re-up me. It isn't going to happen, homo.
Not funny.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #53
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Can we stop with the midget CB names? The guy is of comparable size to the majority of the previous Pro Bowl CB's.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #54
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

This guy is the all time leader in the ACC for interceptions. He isn't some raw talent that is a project. He can play.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #55
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

From the Post:

Smith said he will begin camp conceding nothing, but accepting whatever role he receives.

"I have a lot of respect for Andre'. He had one of his best years last year," Smith said. "And I have a lot of respect for Champ of course. We're all going into camp competing. As a competitor, you would love to play. You would love to start. But if it's not part of the recipe to become a winning team, you have to set that aside."

aaand boom goes the dynamite.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #56
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonty View Post
I think the comparisons are inevitable and justified. He's going to be compared to that first round pick even though he's only getting paid second round money. I don't really care if that's fair to Smith or not, it's in the context of judging McDaniels' decision, and this one made me livid.

Let me back up and say I am a Smith fan, and I'm thinking he'll be solid for us, but this pick has huge "boom or bust" written all over it in my eyes. He fell to the 2nd round for a reason. Height IS important.

Again, that being said, after scouting this guy I'm leaning toward BOOM.
Every pick every year in every round has Boom or Bust written on it.

ITs a ****ing crapshoot.

And this one just happens to lean toward the Boom with 2nd round money.

IF we were to have kept our 1st next year and IF we have a top 5 pick, thats a HUGE risk. It doesnt work out so great for a lot of teams. See: Detroit and Oakland. Consistently in the top 5 and of them, Detroit has Calvin Johnson and Oakland has McFadden of all those top 5 picks.

McFadden isnt even gauranteed yet. Johnson is already a surefire allstar, but McFadden is only partially there.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #57
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Every pick every year in every round has Boom or Bust written on it.

ITs a ****ing crapshoot.

And this one just happens to lean toward the Boom with 2nd round money.

IF we were to have kept our 1st next year and IF we have a top 5 pick, thats a HUGE risk. It doesnt work out so great for a lot of teams. See: Detroit and Oakland. Consistently in the top 5 and of them, Detroit has Calvin Johnson and Oakland has McFadden of all those top 5 picks.

McFadden isnt even gauranteed yet. Johnson is already a surefire allstar, but McFadden is only partially there.

Exactly, and no one wants to factor in that in trade for giving up some slots for our crap-shoot next year, we get a guy we had targeted... fits a need... and can start developing NOW.

For a team that has great needs, to fill one with a guy we love... and get him a year ahead of whoever we would have drafted next year is a big plus.

To some extent, it's a risk-hedge.

1. You know you like the guy. We had him highly targeted.
2. He fits a position of great need.
3. We develop him NOW, and he could end up a regular starter by next season.
4. We pay him considerably less than a middle 1st rounder next year.

Would I do this every year, all the time? Of course not. But, people need to get the **** over this as being some sort of franchise make or break move. We're the same franchise that has **** down our leg in the draft and free agency for a better part of a decade. Let's not pretend we've got some code of excellence to live up to, here.

Give this kid a shot, get real with the expectations and get over the notion that a few draft spots next year signals end-times. If he contributes to a productive defense/STs... it's a good move. We need quality players NOW.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #58
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Smith's size and game are likened to Asante Samuel - if he can even become a poor man's version I'd be stoked.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:12 AM   #59
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Smith's size and game are likened to Asante Samuel...
Yep, and I think Smith is a little bigger (not taller) and more physical.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #60
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Fan favorite at 5'9"? Hey, I thought DWil had phenom talent...but he was also a liability.
Yeah....a tall corner is always better.....I wish we still had Lenny Walls.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote