The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #26
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Does he look like a decent player? Sure. Could we have drafted a better player next year with a much higher pick? Definitely.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #27
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp View Post
Does he look like a decent player? Sure. Could we have drafted a better player next year with a much higher pick? Definitely.
Yeah, that concerns me. All we can do is hope that Alphonso justifies the move, though.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #28
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Plenty of smaller corner have succeeded. He reminds me a lot of antione winfield. if he becomes that, i dont see how anyone can complain
So you are fine with the trade of a (high)first round draft pick for a midget CB in the second round ...ok
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #29
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

I think he'll do fine...also, I forget where I read but the agent for Knowshon is also the agent for like the next 3 or 4 picks after him, so the agent needs knowshon signed to get the rest of them and then it'll help get Ayers signed too!
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #30
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Awesome. I hope we lock him up for a while.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #31
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
So you are fine with the trade of a (high)first round draft pick for a midget CB in the second round ...ok
Winfield has been a great corner. A great corner for a 1st is a good deal in my books.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #32
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Oh right, because NOONE AT ALL WILL BUST NEXT YEAR. God we really screwed the pooch because next years draft class is GUARANTEED and this years is all garbage.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #33
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Geez, how soon people forget things. You tell them something, a week later they are here complaining about the trade of the pick. Look people, for the last time, Bowlen did not want to pay 4 1st round picks within 2 years time. If any of them bust, you are looking at a very long setback in your ability to sign other players to higher contracts. Smith was viewed by many as the top CB in the draft. Only his height is what kept some teams away from picking him in the 1st round. But if he turns out to be a great player, it certainly won't be the first time a shorter player that was overlooked due to his height will make the other 31 teams look silly for passing on him. And for the love of god, I'm so sick of hearing "top 5 pick" or "super high pick" in terms of what we gave up. Who knows, it could end up being a mid to low 1st round pick, which really isn't much of a difference. So before you continue to rant, why don't you wait until next year when we know were we stand on this issue.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #34
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Because people are morons, and are going to look at giving up that draft pick in regards to how he needs to perform on the field; furthemore, downing the pick because he is 5'9. If it read, 5'10 -- I don't think people would be giving a **** much. Then again, the people b****ing about this pick, from a prospect and pick value perspective have probably never seen Alphonso Smith play. IMHO, those people can go shoot themselves and lick peanut butter off their brothers' nuts.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #35
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Because people are morons, and are going to look at giving up that draft pick in regards to how he needs to perform on the field; furthemore, downing the pick because he is 5'9. If it read, 5'10 -- I don't think people would be giving a **** much. Then again, the people b****ing about this pick, from a prospect and pick value perspective have probably never seen Alphonso Smith play. IMHO, those people can go shoot themselves and lick peanut butter off their brothers' nuts.
So you have some experience in this area, that has to be a hell of a story.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #36
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

fiery ballhawk that can tackle

sounds good to me
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #37
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttgrd View Post
So you have some experience in this area, that has to be a hell of a story.
Nice attempt at being witty, but after I burned you like a Jew the other day -- you must be trying real hard to try and re-up me. It isn't going to happen, homo.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #38
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Fan favorite at 5'9"? Hey, I thought DWil had phenom talent...but he was also a liability.
DWill was 5'7" in high heels. At 5' 9" Fonze is essentially the same size as starting corner Andre Goodman ...only heavier and stronger.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #39
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
Nice attempt at being witty, but after I burned you like a Jew the other day -- you must be trying real hard to try and re-up me. It isn't going to happen, homo.
Burned who, when? You have only insults and homo erotic fantasies. You need to smarten up or just step out of the closet. You will be happier that way im sure.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #40
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
True but DWill was progressing. I have no doubt that had tragedy not befell him, that he would have been one of the top 5 corners in the league right now.
Dwill wasn't the ball hawk Smith was in college. We will see about the NFL but Smith seems to have an inate special ability to get his hands on the football.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #41
kmonty
BT Blogger

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sweet Feet

Quote:
I am extremely confused why this would make anyone a moron.
kmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #42
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Signed

Alphonso Smith
Richard Quinn
Seth Olsen
Kenny McKinley
Blake Schlueter

Unsigned

Knowshon Moreno
Robert Ayers
Darcel McBath
David Bruton
Tom Brandstater
i can't help but think Brandstater is going to be the hardest to sign. he was a late round pick, but history has shown McDaniels can polish a turd into a diamond, so he is going to have his agents working on a deal that increases a lot based on playing time and stats, giving him an opportunity to make a lot more money than a guy taken in his draft slot should make
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #43
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Yes, they may also draft Marcus Nash, Ashley Lelie or George Foster. Let it go, when you can get what you believe is the best corner in the draft, pay him second-round money and get him a year early, that's a solid deal.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #44
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
Yes, they may also draft Marcus Nash, Ashley Lelie or George Foster. Let it go, when you can get what you believe is the best corner in the draft, pay him second-round money and get him a year early, that's a solid deal.
exactly

Eddie Royal last year is a good example, a lot of people I know b****ed that we did not take DeSean Jackson

if you ask me, we made the absolute right call

drafts are all educated guesses
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #45
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonty View Post
I am extremely confused why this would make anyone a moron.
Because giving up a future first-round pick doesn't necessitate Smith having to perform like a top ten pick. If he can be a starter for this team for a long time and contribute in the manner in which we'd expect a player in the NFL; he'll be just fine. He doesn't have to be the next Champ Bailey -- nor does he need to be compared to the other people we "could have got" next year at the spot in which our pick we traded to Seattle would be at. Alphonso Smith just has to be himself, and he will.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #46
kmonty
BT Blogger

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sweet Feet

Quote:
Because giving up a future first-round pick doesn't necessitate Smith having to perform like a top ten pick. If he can be a starter for this team for a long time and contribute in the manner in which we'd expect a player in the NFL; he'll be just fine. He doesn't have to be the next Champ Bailey -- nor does he need to be compared to the other people we "could have got" next year at the spot in which our pick we traded to Seattle would be at. Alphonso Smith just has to be himself, and he will.
I think the comparisons are inevitable and justified. He's going to be compared to that first round pick even though he's only getting paid second round money. I don't really care if that's fair to Smith or not, it's in the context of judging McDaniels' decision, and this one made me livid.

Let me back up and say I am a Smith fan, and I'm thinking he'll be solid for us, but this pick has huge "boom or bust" written all over it in my eyes. He fell to the 2nd round for a reason. Height IS important.

Again, that being said, after scouting this guy I'm leaning toward BOOM.
kmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #47
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I don't really think he fell, he wasn't expected to be a first-round pick. He got selected where almost everyone had him predicted.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #48
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I can't help feeling this Smith Kid will be this yrs Eddie Royal. Everyone down on where he was selected, how tall he is, but forgetting the kid just is a great football player.

Football is a game and some people just better at playing it then others regardless of how big or fast they aren't.

When you watch games this kid makes plays. I think he steps in at nickel and because that spot can't be watched like QBS look at Bailey he may get a bunch of picks.

Often by the time the QB makes it to the 3rd wr he is under pressure so that spot has potential for a lot of big plays.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #49
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
1) you dont know it'll be a high pick. And as someone mentioned, there's no guarantee that the number one next year will be a great player either.

2) I dont care how tall he is, he plays big and he's a HUGE ball hawk (21 picks in college or something nuts like that). Also, lots of short corners have been successful in the NFL. I don't get this sudden hate other than jerkoffs looking for another reason to b****.

Plus, this was a guy a lot of football people had going in the first round. Many called him the best corner in the draft.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #50
NYBronc
Ring of Famer

pka young wu

The pick will be in the high 20's anyway. We're making the playoffs.
NYBronc is offline   Reply With Quote