The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default Kiszla: Stop living in the Broncos' past

Kiszla's back to his 'warm and fuzzy' self.
He's right about the state of the team.

Kiszla: Stop living in the Broncos' past
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post

Posted: 07/26/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

We don't know if coach Josh McDaniels can be trusted, if Kyle Orton can hold the job as quarterback or if Robert Ayers can generate a pass rush.

But of all the unknowns as the Broncos go to camp facing more uncertainty than at any time in the last 25 years, here's the real big question:

Will NFL fans in Denver ever join the 21st century?

The attitude of way too many Broncomaniacs stinks.

It's not 1998 anymore, people. Quit living in the past.

If the Broncos were smart, they would offer new jerseys at the team store for 50 percent off the retail price to every fan who showed up at camp and traded in a uniform with No. 6, No. 53 or No. 87.

Jay Cutler, Bill Romanowski and Ed McCaffrey ain't coming back. Get over it, already.

And please stop the sniveling because Mike Shanahan has left the building. Quit the bellyaching about how the Broncos fired a master of X's and O's for some snot-nosed, hoodie-wearing kid.

The truth is Shanahan had not been a very good coach since 2005, as his 24-24 record and zero playoff appearances during his last three seasons with the Broncos would attest.

We will eternally thank Shanahan for the Super Bowl memories and can envision him giving an acceptance speech in Canton, Ohio, in the future. But the greatest coach in Broncos history had gone stale with his red-zone schemes, brought in too many players of iffy character and blamed defensive coordinators for too long before franchise owner Pat Bowlen finally said: Enough!

There's no guarantee McDaniels will ever win a playoff game in Denver, but right here, right now, in 2009, there's no doubt the new coach has Shanahan beat in one critical respect.

McDaniels is attacking problems the Broncos had failed to address with fresh ideas.

It was at the height of Shanahan's arrogance when he began to believe Denver could put anybody from an undrafted rookie to a cellphone salesman at running back and succeed. Maybe that's one big reason why the Broncos gained fewer yards on the ground than their opposition in consecutive seasons for the first time in 20 years.

Cutler did provide Denver with a Pro Bowl arm. But if you ever witnessed the way Jay-C pouted his way through adversity and compared it with how Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Ben Roesthlisberger conduct themselves while leading a championship team, it might be time to admit there's more to playing quarterback than rearing back and heaving the football.

Doesn't it make sense to take the league's worst defense this side of Detroit and introduce it to a 3-4 hybrid scheme in which athletes such as D.J. Williams, Elvis Dumervil and the rookie Ayers will actually be put in position to make an impact?

The Broncos were a broken team. There will be no quick fixes.

So perhaps it is disgruntled receiver Brandon Marshall, of all people, who best reflects the current attitude of Broncomaniacs who have lost the faith.

Marshall doesn't know whether he has the heart to commit to a team that lost its way in the final frustrating seasons of the Shanahan regime. B-Marsh thinks this franchise caused him undue pain and made him suffer needlessly.

And when you get right down to it, don't many fans feel the exact same way?

Of course, the easiest thing to do would be to turn tail and run.

So anybody who wants to blame McDaniels for the past failures of everybody from Travis Henry to Javon Walker and a whole bunch of guys who failed to understand, much less
honor, a proud franchise tradition now must ask the same question Marshall needs to pose when he looks in the mirror this morning.

Do you want to be part of the Broncos' past?

Or are you ready to attack the future with an NFL team that was eight or nine years late in joining the 21st century?

Take your pick.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12916949
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I must agree with this article with many bronco fans I know they do live in the past too much and not look at present enough.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Spot on.....

Time to move on.....

GO BRONCOS!

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
yerner
Ring of Famer

Horse****.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Amen!

Been saying for atleast the last 2-3 years that Broncos fans and the owner where stuck back in 98.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Amazing how fast this horses behind has become a home spun good 'ole boy to the same fans who used to cuss him.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Kizla is right. Surprise, surprise, surprise.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

the seasons don't fear the reaper, nor do the wind, the sun or the rain....
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
the seasons don't fear the reaper, nor do the wind, the sun or the rain....

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post

more cow bell to ring out his BS
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm gonna disagree with some of the suggestions here. For instance, that the Broncos were outmoded and stale on offense. We went 8-8 with the worst defense in the league and an inconsistent run-game consisting of such characters as a cell phone peddler and maybe even that Dell Guy at one point.

But also what exactly some folks are complaining about. There is nothing in the past three years that makes me jump for joy. As stated, the Broncos were an average team. However, they were one with growing potential. To see a young team like that function the way they did was exciting. How would they look with more time to gel and an improved defense to back them up?

I don't know. We detonated the whole thing just as it was getting good.

This is where Kizla was most off the mark. It isn't living in the past at all, at least not for me, but cringing at the most certain loss of a bright future.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
I'm gonna disagree with some of the suggestions here. For instance, that the Broncos were outmoded and stale on offense. We went 8-8 with the worst defense in the league and an inconsistent run-game consisting of such characters as a cell phone peddler and maybe even that Dell Guy at one point.

But also what exactly some folks are complaining about. There is nothing in the past three years that makes me jump for joy. As stated, the Broncos were an average team. However, they were one with growing potential. To see a young team like that function the way they did was exciting. How would they look with more time to gel and an improved defense to back them up?

This is where Kizla was most off the mark. It isn't living in the past at all, at least not for me, but cringing at the most certain loss of a bright future.
Excellent point. But.....this is what they chose and they've got to sleep in the bed they made.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I can't understand why anybody reads anything this guy has to say - good or bad.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Phenomenal article.

Exactly.

You can't clean up a mess like we had in one season. If we're respectable this year, it's a massive victory.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:

I think that hiring one of the top offensive coaches in the game might mean we still have a bright future.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This is what I was saying in the "Mile High" thread. I'm tired of people pretending it's 1998 too. I'm tired of people wanting a reincarnation of the old greats. I want some new memories with a new QB and a new RB. I don't want "the next Elway" I want the first "enter name here."

Move on.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Nobody is pretending that it is 1998.

All some of us wanted was to keep our burgeoning offense and address our defense. That's all we wanted. We weren't pretending like we were 14-2 or anything. We did believe, with good reason, that our offense was going to soon be on top of the league (not only in yards but in scoring). We had a very good QB who was improving, a great burgeoning line, we finally got TWO studs at WR and were deep at TE. All we needed was to continue to work at cutting down turnovers and to get some consistency in the backfield. Before Hillis got hurt, we were actually doing a halfway decent job at scoring.

We also wanted some more help on defense. That Slowik was staying didn't necessarily mean it was going to be hell. It is more about the Jimmies and Joes than the X's and O's. We needed a talent infusion. I think we would have made a real effort towards getting that. Instead, we reshuffled some chairs around. I like the argument that "Shanahan wouldnt have drafted good defenders anyway". Our record drafting defenders has not been so bad as is made out to believe...its just that we have devoted more picks in the last few years for offense...I posted an analysis of this awhile back. There HAVE been a couple busts (most notably at the top of the 07 draft), but if you look at it on the whole, its not that bad and you can see that the real issue is not devoting as many picks to it as the offense.

To say we were pretending like it was 1998 is just flat out wrong. I definitely believe Shanahan would have directed the lion's share of the actual resources towards improving the talent on D, esp the front 7, this offseason. As it stood, we ended up addressing an entire ONE spot in the front seven with our new regime. We also have our new supposedly glorious DC preaching something that we all know to be false and have repeatedly condemned in the past: Emphasis on the back end of the unit going forward, as opposed to vice versa.

We'll see what happens.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 07-26-2009 at 02:41 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

All some of us wanted was to keep our burgeoning offense and address our defense. That's all we wanted. We weren't pretending like we were 14-2 or anything. We did believe, with good reason, that our offense was going to soon be on top of the league (not only in yards but in scoring). We had a very good QB who was improving, a great burgeoning line, we finally got TWO studs at WR and were deep at TE. All we needed was to continue to work at cutting down turnovers and to get some consistency in the backfield. Before Hillis got hurt, we were actually doing a halfway decent job at scoring.

We also wanted some more help on defense. That Slowik was staying didn't necessarily mean it was going to be hell. It is more about the Jimmies and Joes than the X's and O's. We needed a talent infusion. I think we would have made a real effort towards getting that. Instead, we reshuffled some chairs around. I like the argument that "Shanahan wouldnt have drafted good defenders anyway". Our record drafting defenders has not been so bad as is made out to believe...its just that we have devoted more picks in the last few years for offense...I posted an analysis of this awhile back. There HAVE been a couple busts (most notably at the top of the 07 draft), but if you look at it on the whole, its not that bad and you can see that the real issue is not devoting as many picks to it as the offense.

To say we were pretending like it was 1998 is just flat out wrong. I definitely believe Shanahan would have directed the lion's share of the actual resources towards improving the talent on D, esp the front 7, this offseason. As it stood, we ended up addressing an entire ONE spot in the front seven with our new regime. We also have our new supposedly glorious DC preaching something that we all know to be false and have repeatedly condemned in the past: Emphasis on the back end of the unit going forward, as opposed to vice versa.

We'll see what happens.
I think you make valid points in this post my friend. An O guy made huge changes on our strength of our team tells me one of two things.

1. He is not that impressed with our O and felt it needed more upgrades vs what we did. After all we played NE pretty often recently so he might seen things he didn't like.

2. Arrogance on their success in NE he wanted his guys in here that welcomed the system and move forward.

We'll see what happens.

Note: I'm not happy about Cutler trade but, have moved on. I will go back to what I said months ago. Cutler and McD was short term unless they made legit SB run in 09 if they did achieve that they might have co-exsisted longer but, a 6 win season hello trade in 2010.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Sacred cows always make the best hamburgers......eat up and move on.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #20
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Kiszla: Stop living in the Broncos' past
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post

Posted: 07/26/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

We don't know if coach Josh McDaniels can be trusted, if Kyle Orton can hold the job as quarterback or if Robert Ayers can generate a pass rush.

But of all the unknowns as the Broncos go to camp facing more uncertainty than at any time in the last 25 years, here's the real big question:

Will NFL fans in Denver ever join the 21st century?

The attitude of way too many Broncomaniacs stinks.

It's not 1998 anymore, people. Quit living in the past.

If the Broncos were smart, they would offer new jerseys at the team store for 50 percent off the retail price to every fan who showed up at camp and traded in a uniform with No. 6, No. 53 or No. 87.

Jay Cutler, Bill Romanowski and Ed McCaffrey ain't coming back. Get over it, already.
I don't totally agree with this part. I think every fan of every team wants to return to the SB and wonders why they don't. I'm pretty sure we're all aware that the old players that won those SB's (why is Cutler included) are not coming back. We just want the ultimate prize and it's worse once you've tasted it.

I totally agree with the rest of the article.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #21
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:

Surely not.

The QB has changed, the O line given a little more depth, added a WR who knows the new system, took the best RB in the draft, added TE depth and best of all.......a new long-snapper!

Life is good.
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #22
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Phenomenal article.

Exactly.

You can't clean up a mess like we had in one season. If we're respectable this year, it's a massive victory.
Miami and Atlanta didn't seem to have a problem getting to the playoffs last year.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #23
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

We'll see what happens.
You need to look past every post as having to do with the Cutler issue or the Shanahan firing. I'm talking about a mindset that has existed with Bronco fans for the past decade. I think people really wanted to keep winning Super Bowls and they forgot how much time has passed. I hear people talk about calling the current stadium "Mile High" and how Denver fans are looking for "the next John Elway" at QB and "the next TD" at running back and "the next Sharpe" at TE. I understand why, mind you. After so many years of going to the SB with different teams and losing horribly, that team was the one that did it and did it twice in a row. That's incredibly epic and memories are awesome of that time for Bronco nation.

However that's not the only formula that can win in this league. In fact I would argue that formula works less now than it did. In fact even then we were kind of an anomaly as far as how a championship team is built. I want Bronco fans to quit pinning for the "good ole days" and constantly trying to compare every white receiver to Eddie Mac. It's silly how people constantly try to reinvent our team as a reincarnation of that one. They're even doing that with McDaniels by saying he's "The next Shanahan" before he's even coached a game!

I love the old Broncos, but they're old and I want to move on. People are scared because with Shanahan gone, that security blanket of having had someone who's been there before is no longer here. He also was the last piece of those teams and now people are freaking out about starting over.

I won't debate your main points about the condition of the team because that's not where I was going in the first place and there's other threads on that. I just want us to look to the future and realize that the Broncos can win and be the Broncos and make a name for themselves. We don't need to keep repackaging our glory days or try and recreate them.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 AM   #24
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Phenomenal article.

Exactly.

Yep I agree we still need a QB good thing we still have a high draft pick if we suck this opps my bad.....
Attached Images

~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:48 AM   #25
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

We'll see what happens.
Too true.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote