The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Robert Ayers Highlights

This one was up before but man he looked good in the senior bowl

Come on football season!
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Hmmmmm......

Kemo Sabe, maybe Nolan has some ideas about what he is doing. After all, he is in charge of the D, yes?
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

All I can say is just be the opposite of Jarvis Moss please...
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I cant wait for the camp reports of Clady and Ayers going at it.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
All I can say is just be the opposite of Jarvis Moss please...
just looking at the practice for the senior bowl, he is stronger than Moss could ever hope to be, quicker, has better hip movement and is more polished as a pass rusher coming out of college than Moss is after 2 full seasons in the NFL.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Love watching these vids, every time.

My favorite play is still the top video, 3:32.

He's standing up in what looks like a 3-4 set... he diagnoses the running play, works his way through the junk and just levels the ball-carrier.

To me, that's more impressive than working over a LT, one on one... though he also seems to have a nice selection of moves for a college player, as well.

Again, trying to temper my excitement about this guy... but if you just think in terms of who he'll basically be replacing (John Engelberger)... you have to be excited.

(Yes, Engleberger was a DE, but in our system, our OLBs will be doing most of the work our DEs did in the past... or the work they were supposed to do, anyway.)
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Hmmmmm......

Kemo Sabe, maybe Nolan has some ideas about what he is doing. After all, he is in charge of the D, yes?
Won't it be weird finally having a competent D coordinator? We just aren't used to that.

Of course that's me hoping he turns out to be competent.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

We're gonna need this guy to be huge. I don't even know who he projects like because I haven't quite seen a guy like him. Maybe a larger Justin Tuck? Can play the inside, the outside and will get moved around a lot.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

In that first video the hit on the QB at 0:52 looks late. Could easily draw a flag in the NFL.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I like his acceleration/body control for a big guy. He looks slow at times but, to me, appears to be picking his way through the blocks and is quite capable of hitting a quick burst to get to the ball.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Wow, do they ever call Holding on the O-Line in college football?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I like the guy and these videos are sort of "more of the same". It's what you would expect from someone who is ready to go to the NFL. He appears to be clearly better than most of the guys around him, on either team.

Now if we could just trade Marshall for a a big fat monster to put next to him...
Old 07-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

WTF, didn't we see about 10 posts with these same videos when the draft was over? Thanks for the highlights dude, like nobody here has every seen these before.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I really hope he can be a terror at SOLB. He's got the size for it and the explosiveness. Obviously, he is somewhat raw, but Mayock's comment at the draft that he would be the best defender in the draft 3 years from now was great praise.

Also, if you look at the offseason articles about him, there was one most recently in which it was mentioned that he was making tremendous progress and had already obtained alot of confidence from the staff. That is VERY promising!!!

I think the combination of Dumervil and Ayers at OLB could be quite tremendous in the 3-4. There are things to be concerned with, though. I am concerned about the very prescient point that Montrose made awhile back that Dumervil seems to benefit (due to his size) from being in a three point stance, as he has natural leverage in getting underneath the OT and making him stand up might create a problem for him.

Go Canes!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 07-19-2009 at 12:51 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
WTF, didn't we see about 10 posts with these same videos when the draft was over? Thanks for the highlights dude, like nobody here has every seen these before.
At least it's something fresh and new, and football related.

If you want we could start another McD/Cutler debate? How about talking about the Marshall situation?

You don't have to come into the thread if you have seen the videos, no one is forcing you.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman444 View Post
At least it's something fresh and new, and football related.

If you want we could start another McD/Cutler debate? How about talking about the Marshall situation?

You don't have to come into the thread if you have seen the videos, no one is forcing you.
He's just contributing to the "3 b1tch rule" Ya see there has to be at least 3 b1tches on every thread...He happens to be one of them right now. watermock with usually fill one of the spots in a hurry, but Zona beat him to it this time.

Thanks for the vids prunch.
521 1N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
There are things to be concerned with, though. I am concerned about the very prescient point that Montrose made awhile back that Dumervil seems to benefit (due to his size) from being in a three point stance, as he has natural leverage in getting underneath the OT and making him stand up might create a problem for him.
Yes, that was a good, if not very optimistic point. He does explode outta that 3-point stance. What were his 40 times?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I really hope he can be a terror at SOLB. He's got the size for it and the explosiveness. Obviously, he is somewhat raw, but Mayock's comment at the draft that he would be the best defender in the draft 3 years from now was great praise.

Also, if you look at the offseason articles about him, there was one most recently in which it was mentioned that he was making tremendous progress and had already obtained alot of confidence from the staff. That is VERY promising!!!

I think the combination of Dumervil and Ayers at OLB could be quite tremendous in the 3-4. There are things to be concerned with, though. I am concerned about the very prescient point that Montrose made awhile back that Dumervil seems to benefit (due to his size) from being in a three point stance, as he has natural leverage in getting underneath the OT and making him stand up might create a problem for him.

Well I assume on 3rd downs Doom will mostly be working from the 3 pt stance anyway.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
I think the combination of Dumervil and Ayers at OLB could be quite tremendous in the 3-4.
I'm more concerned with containment ...OLBs are critical to defending so much ... misdirection, reverses, screens, quick pitches. Compare the pursuit skills of Ayers and Dumervil to those of DJ and Woodyard. There is no comparison.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #20
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
We're gonna need this guy to be huge. I don't even know who he projects like because I haven't quite seen a guy like him. Maybe a larger Justin Tuck? Can play the inside, the outside and will get moved around a lot.
I am hoping he is a monster at MLB for us he moves though traffic and is a sure tackler I love what I have seen of him so far .
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #21
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
is quite capable of hitting a quick burst to get to the ball.
That's what I saw too ...
Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Yes, that was a good, if not very optimistic point. He does explode outta that 3-point stance. What were his 40 times?
4.6's, but then that was while still rehabbing from an ankle injury, freshly aggravated at the end of the collegiate season by Marcus Vick stomping on him after a play was blown dead.

Dumervil will be an interesting transitional project. He obviously gets some advantage out of his height, but its not all from just getting low in his 3-point stance. He makes OTs come out of their comfort zone to get their hands on him, and for OTs with poor form that means poor leverage positioning on their arms (not getting good extension, letting elbows flare out too much, etc.) or leaning over him which gives up a lot of the advantage size provides them.

I think its a big reason why he's always been a feast on average OTs kind of guy, who then struggles against the elite. He's got good moves but he needs to show some ability to beat blockers who don't make mistakes to help him.

As for Ayers, that highlight vid from college is like, every good play he ever made. The guy wasn't a superstar in college, but he's got a lot of potential. He entered college as a superstar prospect, didn't produce immediately, and since had to work himself back into a bigger role as a jack of all trades dirty work type of guy. That actually gives me a lot more faith in him making it as a pro, because he's already seen how close he is to being out of football, and when that happened he felt motivated to improve his technique. He's still raw but he's got great natural leverage and body control. I think a lot of people are going to expect great things from him from day one, but I'll be more interested in seeing the player he becomes a few years down the road with some consistent quality coaching.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #23
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

If this D had a starter quality nose tackle, I would feel a lot more optimistic about its potential success this year.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
I am hoping he is a monster at MLB for us he moves though traffic and is a sure tackler I love what I have seen of him so far .
All this talk of moving him around scares me personally. It took him until his senior year at UT to get DE and have a big impact. I hope we aren't going to overload this kid.

He does have some nice skills. A good mix of power, explosiveness and athleticism.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #25
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
If this D had a starter quality nose tackle, I would feel a lot more optimistic about its potential success this year.
Grady Jackson was right there for a solid two year rental ... available for Lonnie Paxton+Lamont Jordan money.