The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who wins?
2008 Denver Broncos 23 31.94%
2009 Denver Broncos 49 68.06%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Who would win a game between the 2008 Denver Broncos and 2009 Denver Broncos?

Little fun here this Tuesday morning. If the 2008 Broncos were to face the 2009 Broncos, who do you think would win? We have the '08 Broncos led by Mike Shanahan or the '09 team led by Josh McDaniels. Think of the strategy differences, coaching matchups, cultural/team philosophies and personnel.

Jay Cutler leads the '08 Broncos offense with Selvin Young, Michael Pittman, Peyton Hillis and Tatum Bell in the backfield. Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal and Brandon Stokley are your receivers with Ryan Clady, Ben Hamilton, Casey Wiegmann, Chris Kuper and Ryan Harris on the OL. Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler are your TEs. Shanahan and Jeremy Bates are expected to bring their patented zone blocking running scheme along with a heavy west coast passing attack.

Running the '08 Broncos defense is Bob Slowick with a DL of Ebenzer Ekuban, Elvis Dumervil, Marcus Thomas and Dewayne Robertson. The LB corps of DJ Williams, Nate Webster and Jamie Winborn joins a secondary of Champ Bailey, Marquand Manual, Josh Barrett, Dre' Bly and Josh Bell. Slowick's defense will primarily rush four while the secondary plays off-coverage.

McDaniels' and Mike McCoy's '09 Broncos offense is under the direction of Kyle Orton. Orton is protected by Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper and Harris. Knowshon Moreno, Peyton Hillis, Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan are the running backs with Marshall, Royal, Stokley, Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Lloyd rounding out the WR corps. Graham and Scheffler are joined by Richard Quinn at TE. The '09 Broncos should run a spread attack with a 50-50 run/pass balance that features several screen passes, intermediate routes and check downs to the RB.

Mike Nolan heads up a 3-4 defense with Marcus Thomas, Ronald Fields and Kenny Peterson on the DL. Elvis Dumervil and Robert Ayers are the pass rushing OLBs with Andra Davis and DJ Williams inside. The secondary is comprised of Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill and Alphonso Smith. Nolan and his staff are expected to mix up their fronts and bring several blitzes to put pressure on the QB while primarily playing man-coverage as taught by new secondary coach Ed Donatell.

So who do you have in the Battle of Bowlen and why?
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

well the 08 Broncos start off strong scoring on the opening posession...

after that the 08 Broncos defense will allow the 09 Broncos to march right down the field but then due to a phantom offensive holding call, 09 will have to settle for 3...

the 08 Broncos will move the ball up and down the field but settle for a field goal and turn the ball over a couple times...

the 09 Broncos will gain momentum and break things open with a big punt return...

the 09 Broncos will score every possesion in the 2nd half...

the 08 Broncos will (while being blown out) pass every down and pile up a bunch of yards...

the 09 Broncos win 52-17...

and in the newspapers the following day it will be the defense that is blamed by all the experts...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...tm/grenade.htm
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
TheDave
Sauced...

2008... as bad as their defense was I think the offensive consistancy (system / coaching staff) and talent would pull it out (assuming we had a healthy Hillis at game time).

Right now I have absolutely no idea what this offense is going to look like or how they are going to jell. I think the defense will be better, but that isn't saying much.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I have to have optimism in the season ahead, every year, regardless of what happened last year, so we've got to beat those a-holes from 2008!

If Buffalo can beat the Broncos of 08, then the Broncos of 09 should have no problem. Can I get a cheeseburger!
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Popps
It's so easy

Montrose... would the game be played at the beginning of the season or the end? (Respetively)

I guess I can just make it say that if it's in the first few games, definitely 08. If it's in the 2nd half, particularly later in the season... definitely 09.

We'll have a learning curve this year and a tough schedule. But, that tough schedule will also serve to get some of the hard-knocks out of the way, early. I expect this team to improve as the season goes on, not get worse like we've done the past several years.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
If Buffalo can beat the Broncos of 08, then the Broncos of 09 should have no problem.
I was just thinking that, too.

With the season on the line, we couldn't beat a barely average team, at home.

Perhaps it's optimism, but I'd like to think that by late this season, we can win that kind of game.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

After looking over that defensive lineup from last year, I would be hard pressed to say that the 2008 Broncos would have a chance of stopping an improved offense -Cutler +Orton.

If you had the LBers as DJ, Larsen and Woodyard I would maybe give them a shot, but unfortunately the defensive coaching staff last year had their heads too far up their asses to realize when low-round and undrafted rookies were outperforming veterans.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
enjolras
Ring of Famer

It depends:

Week 1 2008 Broncos win, by a lot. The offense just overpowers the young and inexperienced 2009 defense.

Week 17 2009 Broncos win, by a lot. The defense has gelled, the offense fully understands the system. The superior size and strength of the 2009 edition wears down the 2008 team and wins by two touchdowns.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

where is the game played?

if its in Denver the '08 team will apparently have home field advantage....Rev, Buff and the likes would be out in full force
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
well the 08 Broncos start off strong scoring on the opening posession...

after that the 08 Broncos defense will allow the 09 Broncos to march right down the field but then due to a phantom offensive holding call, 09 will have to settle for 3...

the 08 Broncos will move the ball up and down the field but settle for a field goal and turn the ball over a couple times...

the 09 Broncos will gain momentum and break things open with a big punt return...

the 09 Broncos will score every possesion in the 2nd half...

the 08 Broncos will (while being blown out) pass every down and pile up a bunch of yards...

the 09 Broncos win 52-17...

and in the newspapers the following day it will be the defense that is blamed by all the experts...
!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Montrose... would the game be played at the beginning of the season or the end?
Good question I debated saying end-of-the-year 2008 Broncos but felt that would make the poll seem biased so I included players who were injured during the season. I'd prefer to have the mentality of the end-of-the-year team (as I think it's most accurate to use the most recent progression) but I think you need to include the injured players. Make sense?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i think the 08 Broncos had the more talented QB, but a weaker all around team, the 09 Broncos are bigger, stronger and a better team all around than the 08 team. 09 stomps 08
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Assuming all players are healthy, you must mean the week 1-4 08 Denver Broncos, which would win.

In the last few weeks of 08 I don't think there were many NFL teams that couldn't beat them at home or on the road.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
!!!!!!!!!

Good question I debated saying end-of-the-year 2008 Broncos but felt that would make the poll seem biased so I included players who were injured during the season. I'd prefer to have the mentality of the end-of-the-year team (as I think it's most accurate to use the most recent progression) but I think you need to include the injured players. Make sense?
Yea, I guess we could just say in game 8, to be fair. At that point, I think it' would be a total toss-up maybe with a slight edge still to 08.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. That's why I don't care if we get the early season '08 Broncos that beat up on shi**y defenses or the late one that got stomped out by all in it's path. The '08 Broncos led the league in turnovers and were amongst the worst teams in getting turnovers. Meanwhile the '09 Broncos are being coached to protect the ball offensively and make plays on it defensively. Look back to how McDaniels' offense kicked the tar out of the Broncos last season and you get an idea of what the gameplan would be.

'09 Broncos 28, '08 Broncos 17
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #16
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

excellent ****ing post!!

I would say based on the secondary upgrades alone, 2009 wins, plus Moreno and Hillis would kill the 2008 line
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #17
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Why not wait until we have at least had training camp or pre-season game or some kind of indication of what the 2009 Broncos are before we speculate on.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Would we get the chance to see Larsen block Larsen?
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

moreno and hillis combine for 300 yards rushing, orton adds 180 through the air and 2 TDs, one to royal one to bmarsh. 08 team gets destroyed.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Why not wait until we have at least had training camp or pre-season game or some kind of indication of what the 2009 Broncos are before we speculate on.
This argument is only to be used if you are attempting to question the 2009 Broncos off-season moves at this point.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #21
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Little fun here this Tuesday morning. If the 2008 Broncos were to face the 2009 Broncos, who do you think would win? We have the '08 Broncos led by Mike Shanahan or the '09 team led by Josh McDaniels. Think of the strategy differences, coaching matchups, cultural/team philosophies and personnel.

Jay Cutler leads the '08 Broncos offense with Selvin Young, Michael Pittman, Peyton Hillis and Tatum Bell in the backfield. Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal and Brandon Stokley are your receivers with Ryan Clady, Ben Hamilton, Casey Wiegmann, Chris Kuper and Ryan Harris on the OL. Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler are your TEs. Shanahan and Jeremy Bates are expected to bring their patented zone blocking running scheme along with a heavy west coast passing attack.

Running the '08 Broncos defense is Bob Slowick with a DL of Ebenzer Ekuban, Elvis Dumervil, Marcus Thomas and Dewayne Robertson. The LB corps of DJ Williams, Nate Webster and Jamie Winborn joins a secondary of Champ Bailey, Marquand Manual, Josh Barrett, Dre' Bly and Josh Bell. Slowick's defense will primarily rush four while the secondary plays off-coverage.

McDaniels' and Mike McCoy's '09 Broncos offense is under the direction of Kyle Orton. Orton is protected by Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper and Harris. Knowshon Moreno, Peyton Hillis, Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan are the running backs with Marshall, Royal, Stokley, Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Lloyd rounding out the WR corps. Graham and Scheffler are joined by Richard Quinn at TE. The '09 Broncos should run a spread attack with a 50-50 run/pass balance that features several screen passes, intermediate routes and check downs to the RB.

Mike Nolan heads up a 3-4 defense with Marcus Thomas, Ronald Fields and Kenny Peterson on the DL. Elvis Dumervil and Robert Ayers are the pass rushing OLBs with Andra Davis and DJ Williams inside. The secondary is comprised of Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill and Alphonso Smith. Nolan and his staff are expected to mix up their fronts and bring several blitzes to put pressure on the QB while primarily playing man-coverage as taught by new secondary coach Ed Donatell.

I think it comes down to who has homefield advantage.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #22
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:

The answer actually depends on whether the divisional title is on the line. If it is, the 2008 Broncos would lose to anyone.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure an Option for this team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I am guessing the 2010 Broncos will wax the asses of both the 2008 and 2009 Broncos.

They may have a new HC and QB and a real D by then though.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #24
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

I would say that if it were the Broncos from week 1 or 2 of last year, the '08 Broncos would have won.

But then again, we havent even seen the '09 Broncos in camp yt
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #25
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Montrose... would the game be played at the beginning of the season or the end? (Respetively)

I guess I can just make it say that if it's in the first few games, definitely 08. If it's in the 2nd half, particularly later in the season... definitely 09.

We'll have a learning curve this year and a tough schedule. But, that tough schedule will also serve to get some of the hard-knocks out of the way, early. I expect this team to improve as the season goes on, not get worse like we've done the past several years.
That was my thought too, I think the opening day 08 Broncos would hammer the opening day 09 Broncos, but I think the picture will be reversed if looking at the week 17 teams.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote