The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default Rod Smith Chat recap on NFL.com

NFL.com
Hello everyone. We've got Rod Smith on deck and just about ready to go. Lots of good questions today for Rod on the Broncos and his stellar career. We'll get to as many topics as we can.

Rod Smith
Hello everyone. I'm ready to chat. Just got my Super Bowl rings cleaned. How about that? Let's chat!

Terry Osborne, Rock Falls, IL
04:41 PM ET

Rod, Do you see yourself coaching in the NFL? and if so, in what capacity? You're the best #80 Die hard BRONCO FAN in IL.

Rod Smith
Currently, no, don't see myself coaching. I love to teach football, but not coach. They put in a lot of hours. I have teenage kids, so my time is limited. I love critiquing the game, and individuals, and helping them get better.

Alastor, Denver
04:43 PM ET

Rod, now that you're done with athletics, you seem very poised to take on a role in the new organization in Denver, or become a commentator, and you seem to have business interests as well. I and many other fans in the Denver area are curious to know what your next career ambition is. As a player it's obvious; a Super Bowl. Now that you're retired, what's your next big thing?

Rod Smith
You know what? The last nine months, I've been a part of a huge healthy beverage company. We have healthy coffee, and we're changing lives each and every day. I know all of you drink coffee -- you're addicted!

As far as with the Broncos, I'm a huge fan will do anything to help them win. But as of now, I have no contract, and no check! .

Alex, Indianapolis, Indiana
04:44 PM ET

Plain and simple: What is your opinion of Jay Cutler and the ugly divorce in Denver? Can the Broncos recover from losing one of the most physically gifted QBs in the game?

Rod Smith
First of all, I'm a big Cutler fan. I love the way he plays, love watching him, and being a part of him growing up in the NFL. I think the separation is good for both parties -- especially now. Both sides had to move on. Don't let it drag out and spill over to the rest of the roster.

I think it's going to be a great new beginning on both sides. I think Jay will do great in Chicago, but I always believe the Broncos will win the Super Bowl.

Ray, Lancaster, CA
04:47 PM ET

Do you think that the broncos made a good move by trading away Jay Cutler?

Rod Smith
Personally, because I'm partial to being around gifted players, I would always want Cutler as a Bronco. But I understand their position. The team needed a ton of help on defense, and that's what they got by dealing Jay. The end result is that both parties, no matter what, had to move on.

Justin Hren, Dunedin Florida
04:49 PM ET

Hey Rod, Will we be seeing you dancing it up on Dancing With The Stars anytime soon? lol

Rod Smith
I have three left feet! But ... nope, not going on.

Mike Vroom, Boone, NC
04:50 PM ET

What was the single greatest moment in your 12 year career?

Rod Smith
My first-ever catch. It was a game-winning catch with no time on the clock. That was against the Redskins, from Elway.

Benny, Los Angeles
04:50 PM ET

Hey Rod...big ups on your career...Even though i wasn't a Broncos fan, it was really amazing watching you & Easy Ed eat up all those yards for all those years! Can you describe the emotion after the first catch of your career which just so happened to be the most magnificent pass that ever left John Elway's hands? Which was also one of his god knows how many game winning 4th quarter comeback drives!

Rod Smith
The moment went all the way back to childhood and playing in the neighborhood. To be in the NFL, and just to ahve the opportunity to be around all of my teammates like Elway, TD, Atwater, Sharpe... it made me feel great. But, I didn't catch another pass for seven weeks after that!!!

., NJ
04:52 PM ET

Not a question but a thank you. One of the most selfless players to ever play the game. You have inspired a lot of people.

Rod Smith
Thank you, thank you, thank you. You need to make sure those same thoughts, from true fans, are communicated to today's younger NFL players. They need to be humbled.

Mike, Tinton Falls, NJ
04:54 PM ET

Hey Rod. I'm a recent Rutgers University Graduate and have been a huge Titans/Oilers fan since I was seven. I know you worked extensively with Kenny Britt this offseason, and was wondering how you think he'll benefit the Titans this year.

Rod Smith
You know what, Kenny is big, strong, and he's not afraid to block (which I like). With the type of offense they have, and their OC (Mike Heimerdinger, who was my WR coach for both Super Bowl wins), he'll be put in position to make some amazing plays this year.

Brent , Nashville, TN
04:56 PM ET

Who are ur top five WRs in the NFL right now?

Rod Smith
You know, definitely Larry Fitzgerald. Andre Johnson. Calvin Johnson. Greg Jennings. I'm also partial to Eddie Royal, hopefully I can help him break some of my records. He has great work habits. Don't forget Randy Moss, T.O. (I'm a fan, too), and I like T.J. Houshmandzadeh too. Those are the names off the top of my head.

samuel, denver
04:58 PM ET

another one for you Rod. You've always struck me as the consummate professional athlete. Is it as easy as you make it look to stay out of trouble?

Rod Smith

It's never easy to stay out of trouble. But, if you put yourself in certain surroundings, it makes it that much more difficult. Players are targets, and they need to understand that.

Kyle, PA
05:00 PM ET

Hey Rod! Did you intentionally leave Marshall off your list of top 5 wr's? If so, why?

Rod Smith
Nope, not intentional! I actually helped him break some of my records! He's an amazing talent, and once he figures out that he's the only one that can stop his career, he's going to be even more amazing.

Teon Horsey, Colorado Springs
05:02 PM ET

How do you see this situation with Brandon Marshall and the Broncos playing out? Are you done trying to mentor him?

Rod Smith
I believe the Broncos hold all the cards. He's under contract, and holding out doesn't help anyone -- the team, the individual, or the fans. We want to win football games with the best players, and he's one of our best players. As a true Broncos fan now myself, it sucks not having him out there!

As far as Brandon is concerned, I'm always open to help him out whenever he needs it.

Jeremiah , Denver
05:05 PM ET

What do you think of Kyle Orton? You rock!

Rod Smith
As soon as the season starts and he's out there playing, I think the whole Cutler situatoin will stop hanging over his head and he can go out with his football team and start putting some wins together. Every guy in the NFL is under pressure. A situation he had nothing to do with is putting extra pressure on him. As he helps his team win games, that will show his true character of dealing with the pressure.

Devan, Las Vegas
05:07 PM ET

Mr. Smith, what was the hardest thing when it came to retiring?

Rod Smith
It wasn't difficult. I knew the year that I was out for the year, at that last regular season, I told my sons it was my last one.

Jeremiah, Denver
05:08 PM ET

Rod Smith!! I was wondering, I know you were in Dove Valley at one of the mandatory practices, what are your impressions of Josh McDaniels, and how is the team responding to him?

Rod Smith
In control. He's earning their respect by the discipline he's demanding each and every day, not only from the players, but from the coaches. That helps build a solid foundation for any organization. And then you build from there.

Scott, Huntington
05:09 PM ET

What was it like to play with Ed McCaffrey? Did you guys challenge each other?

Rod Smith
I just wanted to avoid him blowing snot all over me. See, Ed blew his nose after every play. And some came out, after every play! So I just avoided that.

I love Ed and his family. We're great friends to this day. We challenged each other to make our team better. It wasn't about us, it was about making our team better.

Chris , Inland Empire, CA
05:11 PM ET

What is one of the determing factors in being a successful route runner in the NFL? How did you gain the skill?

Rod Smith
Lots of practice. Because, guys are so athletic, they think they can just do it. They don't practice as hard as they play. In the end, what are you working on when no one is looking? That determines how you become a better route runner.

Sean, Fairbanks, AK
05:12 PM ET

Rod, As a life-long Broncos fan, I've watched you go from undrafted free-agent to one of the NFL's best recievers to ever play, all while being a selfless, consumate pro. That said, do you believe that you'll one day be enshrined in Canton? I think it would be a crying shame if you aren't!

Rod Smith
Hopefully, Sean gets a vote and he can tell the rest of Alaska to vote for me! I just went out and worked hard and played to in the game. One thing, I was the winningest receiver, percentage wise, to every play. That's what mattered to me.

Rod Smith
Big thanks to all the Broncos fans, and thanks for all the questions. If you know some coffee drinkers, I want to put help into their habit. Check me out at www.rodsmithinternational.com.

Thanks again everyone.

Rod.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/353

IN ROD WE TRUST!!!!

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

best BRONCO of all time, bar none... an unbeatable attitude and he is STILL a bronco, you can tell by how he talks he still absolutely loves this team, regardless of turnover.

VERY interesting he thinks eddie royal can be a top WR in the NFL. him and eddie must have really connected well, thats great to hear.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I miss that guy, a pro's pro
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
best BRONCO of all time, bar none. an unbeatable attitude and he is STILL a bronco, you can tell by how he talks he still absolutely loves this team, regardless of turnover.

VERY interesting he thinks eddie royal can be a top WR in the NFL. him and eddie must have really connected well, thats great to hear.
yes

he was honest too about BMarsh, hopefully he actually talks to him which I am guessing he does

probably why he likes Eddie
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

He didnt answer my question. I asked if he would slap Brandon Marshall for me and tell him to get to camp.
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
Liquid Courage
The 4th Amigo

does anyone know where the data is that points to him being the winningest WR of all time? i'd love to have that list!!
Liquid Courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
best BRONCO of all time, bar none... an unbeatable attitude and he is STILL a bronco, you can tell by how he talks he still absolutely loves this team, regardless of turnover.

Eddie is very similar to the player Rod was. selfless, goes all out every play, runs great routes, has great hands, was not expected to contribute right away. that is probably why, Rod likes and thinks highly of him

Eddie in a couple years will come to be seen as this generations Rod Smith.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Rod Smith is a class act. 3rd on my All-Time list to Elway and Gradishar. A true professional all the way.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
kmonty
BT Blogger

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sweet Feet

I love Rod Smith.

(Now THAT was a worthy 1,000th comment, good night everybody)
kmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
The team needed a ton of help on defense, and that's what they got by dealing Jay.
Eh?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

One of the best, if not the best, Bronco of all time. I miss him.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
Eh?
we got Ayers and Smith
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #13
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
we got Ayers and Smith
I know it's painful to think about, but Smith was acquired with their own pick. Not sure they can say the Cutler trade was the reason they got him.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I know it's painful to think about, but Smith was acquired with their own pick. Not sure they can say the Cutler trade was the reason they got him.
true, but the only reason they made the trade for smith was because they had extra picks next year. after the draft mcdaniels said "we still have a full draft next year" meaning he likely wouldnt have touched them if they didnt.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
true, but the only reason they made the trade for smith was because they had extra picks next year. after the draft mcdaniels said "we still have a full draft next year" meaning he likely wouldnt have touched them if they didnt.
I'm not sure. I tend to think he would've made the move anyway. It was a nice luxury for him to have that extra pick next season so he could quiet some of the naysayers before they got too much momentum going, but I don't think it was a requirement.

After all, he was also quick to point out that they basically had a top 10 grade on him coming out. If that talent "falls" to them again next year in round two, do you really think he'd pass on it again, just because he didn't have an extra first in 2011?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote