The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy
Default Marshall: "Im under contract"

Looks like he'll be back with the team when TC begins. Currently he's working out with Fitzgerald:

Quote:
Marshall getting in shape for unpredictable future

By Sean Jensen, Special to Yahoo! Sports 17 minutes ago

MINNEAPOLIS – Brandon Marshall(notes) is unwilling to talk about what jersey he wants to wear in the fall. However, he’s made it clear that whatever uniform he dons, he expects to suit up in great shape.

“All I can do is get up every day and beat my body up, and that’s the truth,” the Denver Broncos wideout said during an exclusive interview after a workout on Friday at the University of Minnesota with fellow Pro Bowl receiver Larry Fitzgerald(notes). “At the end of the day, I’m going to be playing football, and, if I’m going to be out there, I got to be in the best shape I can be in.”

Neither Marshall, who requested a trade from the Broncos during a meeting with owner Pat Bowlen last month, nor his agent Kennard McGuire would comment on the status of the request.

“I ain’t worrying about that right now,” Marshall said, “and I ain’t going to talk about that.”

Marshall, a 2006 fourth-round NFL draft pick who earned $1.5 million in each of his first three seasons, reportedly wants an upgrade to a contract that is set to pay him $2.2 million in 2009. In addition to salary concerns, Marshall is believed to be bothered by the departure of Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler(notes), who was traded to the Chicago Bears, and the team’s medical staff.

In a May blog post, Marshall said he got two MRIs on his hip and was told that nothing was wrong.

“But come to find out THERE WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM after all,” Marshall wrote on his blog.

Asked if he plans to report to the team’s training camp on July 30, Marshall said, “Well, I’m under contract with the Broncos.”

Marshall, hoping not to become a distraction to his teammates (“You don’t ever want to be that,” he said), focused many of his answers on his immediate goal: closing a tangible gap with Fitzgerald.

After their full morning workout on Friday, the players ran 16, 110-yard dashes. Marshall didn’t like the view.

“The main thing I’m taking back to Orlando with me is that I’m 20 yards behind Fitzgerald,” Marshall said. “We ended [Fri]day with 110s, and I was 20 yards behind him.”

How many times?

“On all of them,” Marshall matter-of-factly said. “It showed me how far behind I am from the best.”

Marshall didn’t mention that he had hip surgery on April 1. Instead, Fitzgerald later pointed that out in a separate interview.

“Well, I’ve been doing this for a while,” Fitzgerald said of the conditioning drills, “and he just got back from major surgery not too long ago.

“He’s an incredible specimen. It won’t take long for him to recover.”

The injury could be one of several concerns the Broncos have about rewarding Marshall with a lucrative contract. Despite back-to-back 100-catch seasons, Marshall has been on police blotters on several occasions, most recently in March, when he was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being in a fight with his fiancée (the charges were dropped).

“I don’t know what’s going to happen with him and Denver. But, I just hope if he is traded or isn’t trade, I just want him to be happy,” said Fitzgerald, who struck up a friendship with Marshall through former NFL star and onetime Yahoo! Sports analyst Cris Carter. “I want to see him have success, whether that’s in Denver or [somewhere else]. I just want to see him have success, because he puts in the work.”

Marshall said he enjoyed sharing insights with receivers like Fitzgerald and the Green Bay Packers’ Greg Jennings(notes). But the highlight of his week was on Wednesday, when he worked out with Jerry Rice(notes).

“I had never gotten the chance to meet the G.O.A.T. [Greatest of All Time] before,” Marshall said. “It’s inspiring, to see how old he is, and how he’s still got it.”

If he remains a Bronco this season, Marshall will have to adjust to a new quarterback. In addition to acquiring draft picks for Cutler, the Broncos also got veteran quarterback Kyle Orton(notes).

Marshall was nothing but diplomatic in his comments about the team’s new quarterbacks, Orton and Chris Simms(notes), and he downplayed the departure of Cutler.

“With this game, as far as the NFL, it’s about change,” Marshall said. “You see that all the time. People come in and go out. It’s one of those things you have to deal with it and move on. You can’t get caught up in the past.

“You just got to do your best, to control what you can control.”

Right now, Marshall’s focus is on getting into shape so he can avoid being what he called a “so-so” player.

“Football is exciting. It doesn’t matter if you’re playing with the best or you’re playing with average guys, or a bad team,” Marshall said. “Football is always the same. Every time Sunday comes around, you’re going to be pumped up.

“Just to have an opportunity to play ball is exciting.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
bombquixote
Ring of Famer

11-5 in 2009

The dude is totally mental, and yet I can't help but like him.
bombquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Marshall said he got two MRIs on his hip and was told (by team doctors) that nothing was wrong.
That's the kinda stuff lawsuits are made out of ... if A) that's true, and B) an independent expert agrees there was real damage, and C) he's not 100% by opening day, then the team will probably owe him some money.

At least it looks like he'll be a camp though, that's a relief. Kennard must've talked some sense into him.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombquixote View Post
That child-like quality in him is kind of endearing, isn't it ...
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Asked if he plans to report to the team’s training camp on July 30, Marshall said, “Well, I’m under contract with the Broncos.”

Giving the patented "Patriot response" right back to the interviewer. Love it.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that BMarsh is a smart man. I've always loved his interviews because he seems genuine and on top of things. IMHO, he's should be the go to guy for interviews when it comes to how the team is doing, what is going on with the team, etc. I also think he should be a team captain.

Yah, he's got some growing up to do off the field and I've also contended that he will learn from his mistakes. He's too damn smart not to learn from them.

This contract dispute is just that, a contract dispute. He's underpaid, he knows it, and he's trying to remedy the situation. He's acknowledged that he's under contract and he'll show for TC. For me, that says a lot about the type of player he is.

Should he get another contract, absolutely. Should the contract also protect the Broncos, absolutely. I believe he will get a new contract this coming season and the fact that he's gonna show up for TC just reinforces this belief.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Man Marshall is a strange case. He says all the right things and seems to be doing the right things when it comes to football (except for this contract thing) and you want to root for him. Then he does something stupid outside of football. Its crazy because he has the right mindset on the football field.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

First, i'm really glad his rhetoric has slowed down, and he understands his position (or lack of). Hopefully he gets to TC and shoots for a dominant year.

Second, he's picking great company to hang around - and I believe he is setting higher goals. On of my main knocks on him would be his lack of straight line speed. That sounds like it bothers him too. He is training with the best, and wants to be the best, that's good news.

Hopefully he gets everything worked out with McD in training camp and we will be ready to roll...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombquixote View Post
It's true. He can be equal parts infuriating and engaging. I would like to see him report, play well, get a big contract, and have a great long history with the Broncos.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
That child-like quality in him is kind of endearing, isn't it ...
When he's not getting arrested or injuring himself, yup.

One thing missing from the article. I'm glad he's planning on being in shape. But I see no acknowledgement that he has a new offense to learn and that will probably be harder than getting his body back into shape.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
“On all of them,” Marshall matter-of-factly said. “It showed me how far behind I am from the best.”
Interesting quote that perhaps shows BM has grown up a little.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
It's true. He can be equal parts infuriating and engaging. I would like to see him report, play well, get a big contract, and have a great long history with the Broncos.

I would like to see him stay out of trouble, play well, keep his mouth shut and get a rewarding contract. (in that order)
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdf View Post
When he's not getting arrested or injuring himself, yup.

One thing missing from the article. I'm glad he's planning on being in shape. But I see no acknowledgement that he has a new offense to learn and that will probably be harder than getting his body back into shape.
I can see your point but I believe McD will find ways to get him the ball. He's too big, too strong, too fast to ignore. Orton will probably be focused on him the second he gets the ball in his hands...
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

I find it humorous that the Broncos misidentified his hip condition. After two MRIs.

However, now...they will use that same situation where they claimed there wasn't any problem as part of the reason of why they shouldn't give him a pay raise.

Give the dude a raise. Put in legal and medical protection clauses and make everybody happy. The precedent with the Broncos has been to reneg top performers in the final year of their contract.

It really isn't that hard.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Seems like promising words from Brandon. That good.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Well it's good to see two things:

1.) Marshall is working hard to get back into shape and get ready to play this season.

2.) That Marshall understands he doesn't have much wiggle room in terms of his contract right now.

I think he is very underpaid and I think his grievances over his health issues are completely legitimate. Unfortunately the team holds all the cards. He is under contract, which by itself wouldn't mean much were it not for all his arrests, history of suspension with Roger Goodell, as well as his pending court case. That makes him a liability to any team, including the Broncos.

It sucks, Brandon, but you did this to yourself. I think players have a right to hold out when they outperform their contracts and even believe they should choose to do so more often than not. However if they're behavior in other areas negatively affects their ability to use such tactics to negotiate effectively, then that's their problem. If nothing else, I hope he becomes a cautionary tale on why pro athletes need to be hyper cautious with their behavior. Brandon's offseason irresponsibility has hurt teams' trust in him as a professional, and even put his body at risk.

Last edited by Kaylore; 07-13-2009 at 12:01 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

BMarsh makes Jay Cutler look like an absolute moron when it comes to football interviews. That alone should garner a bigger pay check.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
It really isn't that hard.
It is if BM and his agent don't accept such a contract, which they very likely won't.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #19
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Interesting quote that perhaps shows BM has grown up a little.
or he could've been making an reference to his injury without making excuses for it
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #20
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

It's just $$$ folks. Nothing new to see, here. NFL business as usual.

Brandon knows he's one mistake from playing in the CFL, so he's trying to cash in his lotto ticket now. I don't blame him one bit.

But, all of this nonsense about him worried about the # of catches he'll have or about our training staff is just silliness.

The guy wants to get paid, big-time... and the Broncos (understandably) want to approach any contract with a guy like this with extreme caution. Thy also don't want to be pushed around.

If Brandon does indeed show up for camp, and this seems to be a hint that he will... I expect the club to try to extend him to some kind of team-friendly contract that's incentive-laden.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #21
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Well put Kaylore. I hope Brandon comes in, stays out of trouble, tears it up and gets a new deal. I could see it going either way with him, but he remains my favorite player to watch on Sundays - especially if he can return to his 2007 form.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

1.) Marshall is working hard to get back into shape and get ready to play this season.

2.) That Marshall understands he doesn't have much wiggle room in terms of his contract right now.

I think he is very underpaid and I think his grievances over his health issues are completely legitimate. Unfortunately the team holds all the cards. He is under contract, which by itself wouldn't mean much were it not for all his arrests, history of suspension with Roger Goodell, as well as his pending court case. That makes him a liability to any team, including the Broncos.

It sucks, Brandon, but you did this to yourself. I think players have a right to hold out when they outperform their contracts and even believe they should choose to do so more often than not. However if they're behavior in other areas negatively affects their ability to use such tactics negotiate effectively, then that's their problem. If nothing else, I hope he becomes a cautionary tale on why pro athletes need to be hyper cautious with their behavior. Brandon's offseason irresponsibility has hurt teams' trust in him as a professional, and even put his body at risk.

Very well said. I would also like to expand on that by saying that the Broncos are in a position now to send a real "team" message by rewarding Brandon a contract before the season begins.

In my eyes, if Marshall shows up to camp in shape, doesnt get injured or sit out of workouts, stays out of trouble and cements himself as a legitimate offensive staple (both physically and emotioanally) he should get the contract before Week 1.

After the Cutler situation and the road that this was looking like it was heading down, it would be a real morale booster if one of the Shanny "leftovers" got rewarded and was given the responsiblity of leading this team into the next era.

Then again, this is all dependent on him staying out of trouble.
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

It sucks, Brandon, but you did this to yourself. I think players have a right to hold out when they outperform their contracts and even believe they should choose to do so more often than not. However if they're behavior in other areas negatively affects their ability to use such tactics to negotiate effectively, then that's their problem. If nothing else, I hope he becomes a cautionary tale on why pro athletes need to be hyper cautious with their behavior. Brandon's offseason irresponsibility has hurt teams' trust in him as a professional, and even put his body at risk.
Extremely solid post.

I don't think there was ever any doubt that Marshall is a hard worker on the field, I know Shanahan questioned him when he was a rookie, but there has never been issues with the shape he has shown up to offseason activities in or lack of intensity on the practice field.

This combined with the statements from Mcdaniels earlier that the team is talking to Marshall's agent make me think something is in the works. I think they are working on some sort of conditional deal like the one Javon Walker got. My guess would be that Marshall will play this year at the 2.25 million salary he is due with an option bonus due next year in February for a large sum of money that will extend him for 4 years.

I hope, I really hope that Marshall can keep himself out of negative situations, he is very talented, he is passionate and he is well-spoken, I think he is a guy who could lead a team with his energy and positive attitude. Working out with Fitzgerald, Rice and Jennings is definitely a good place to start, also getting out of Atlanta is a good thing. As we have seen with Marcus Thomas, a negative environment can stick.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #24
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post

In my eyes, if Marshall shows up to camp in shape, doesnt get injured or sit out of workouts, stays out of trouble and cements himself as a legitimate offensive staple (both physically and emotioanally) he should get the contract before Week 1.

BIG IF!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #25
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Redicules.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote