The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default Orton v. Colts 08

Football stuff for football-starved people...

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

A couple of observations...

One is that the Colts were up in his pie-hole all afternoon. I've heard Chicago's line wasn't great last year and if this was any indication, people aren't lying. Very poor protection... and watching the Broncos last year, I think I became rather spoiled at the time we had to throw the ball.

The other is fairly obvious in that when Orton IS given time to throw, he seems to make very good decisions, at least in this game. Interesting to see him run a bit, too. Not exactly a track star, but he seems nimble enough on his feet to keep out of trouble.

I'm guessing the maker of the vid went through the whole game. Seems to be a selection of good and bad passes. Mostly good, though. Pretty decent day for a QB under a lot of duress.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Malcontent
Life....on tap.

Got Mustard?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Mustard

Agree with the assesment..and did you all see Freeney just manhandle a man 80-90 LBs heavier than himself?? That guy is very good when healthy.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Agree with the assesment..and did you all see Freeney just manhandle a man 80-90 LBs heavier than himself?? That guy is very good when healthy.
He's scary.

It became fashionable to rip on Freeny when he had injury problems as being overrated, but I'd take an overrated guy like that on my defense every day and twice on Sunday!

Last edited by Popps; 07-12-2009 at 08:47 PM..
Old 07-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
John St Clair is one of the worst OT's to ever lace them up too though. I do agree that Freeney is an absolute beast that has to be accounted for.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

He is a PRO Qb...
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Cutler owns the Colts.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Orton's going to love playing behind Denver's line.
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

SuperBowl in 2010!

It will be interesting to see if he plays well enough to get a contract.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

2 things I saw I didnt like , but ither then that orton will be just fine for us ......
that over throw , it was late , he has to get that pass off alot earlier like he did to Desmond later in the clip ........ and under no circumstances do you throw to crowd on a short route ...... If that screen was covered like that take the sack ..........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
John St Clair is one of the worst OT's to ever lace them up too though. I do agree that Freeney is an absolute beast that has to be accounted for.
Orton having John Tait at RT last year didn't help him one bit either. That guy was horrible last year.

Orton will do fine here. He is very good at figuring out what the defense is going to do at the line of scrimmage, and he does a good job of throwing the ball to where only his receiver can make a play on the ball.

People like to think that Orton is some horrible QB, but they don't remember that he only started 1 full season prior to last year..... And that was his rookie season. How many QB's drafted in the 4th round come in and light it up their rookie year?
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

like that run @ 1:25. Awful protection, amazing how weak LT play can make a DE look so good regardless of skill level. Freeney was eating that guy's lunch all day. Deep ball definitely as advertised- not all that great, but maybe the constant pressure had something to do with it. I think he's going to be fine here though...™
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

I have faith in the coaching staff keeping things as simple and straight-forward for Orton as much as possible. Take the weight off his shoulders - let the Oline do their job, keep safety valve in place, let the RBs do the heavy lifting and don't expect Orton to come out and sling it around for 300+ yards and 3 TDs every Sunday (though that would be nice).

I think they know their limitations at QB.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #14
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Looks like Jake Plummer minus the athleticism.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

holy **** their oline is AWFUL. and to think orton was having a pretty damn good year last year behind them...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones View Post
I have faith in the coaching staff keeping things as simple and straight-forward for Orton as much as possible. Take the weight off his shoulders - let the Oline do their job, keep safety valve in place, let the RBs do the heavy lifting and don't expect Orton to come out and sling it around for 300+ yards and 3 TDs every Sunday (though that would be nice).

I think they know their limitations at QB.
Agree, though the system itself is fairly complex. I think you're right in the sense that they're likely to open up the playbook at a pace. But, once Orton does take it all in... and he's got some experience in the system already, I think it's going to help his game quite a bit. This system really can be a QB's best friend, imo.

McDaniels describes the QBs in his system as a "point guard," distributing the ball to his many options.

Orton had a nice running game in Chicago, but I don't know that the system/line were QB-friendly. I expect our running game to be very effective, and I think he's going to have a real chance to succeed.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
I never got this comparison at all. Orton is a lot headier than Plummer was.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #18
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I had him for a good stretch of the season last year in FF till he got hurt. He played great up till then. With the weapons we have he should do fine I just don't want us to jump the gun and give him a contract till we know he is the guy.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #19
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

After watching that video, Orton honestly looked a lot better than what I had remembered of him and better than I'd given him credit for. We'll see!
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #20
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
Yeah, except not at all.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #21
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

How can Brandon Lloyd make catches like that and not be a star? It's mind-boggling.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
How can Brandon Lloyd make catches like that and not be a star? It's mind-boggling.
because those catches make up basically every one of his catches. put it on hte numbers and its a surefire drop.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
It's always been about his head and whether or not its in the game.

People like to blame it on his rapper aspirations. I have no idea how much truth there is to that. But, he's bounced around a bit, now... and hasn't caught fire, despite seemingly a lot of talent.

That said, if he buys in... I like him as a 4th/5th option. He came cheap and provides a deep threat for an offense that is likely to lull a lot of opponents to sleep with short passing and a heavy does of RBs.

Again, I think McDaniels views him as a poor man's Randy Moss... a guy who might be able to exploit mismatches in multiple receiver sets. He can get behind DBs and certainly go up over them to make catches.

It's a nice risk/reward signing, imo. Who knows, maybe he gets his head straight and benefits from a focused offensive coaching staff. SF/Wash/Chicago haven't exactly made stars out of too many WRs as of late.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #24
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
It's always been about his head and whether or not its in the game.

People like to blame it on his rapper aspirations. I have no idea how much truth there is to that. But, he's bounced around a bit, now... and hasn't caught fire, despite seemingly a lot of talent.

That said, if he buys in... I like him as a 4th/5th option. He came cheap and provides a deep threat for an offense that is likely to lull a lot of opponents to sleep with short passing and a heavy does of RBs.

Again, I think McDaniels views him as a poor man's Randy Moss... a guy who might be able to exploit mismatches in multiple receiver sets. He can get behind DBs and certainly go up over them to make catches.

It's a nice risk/reward signing, imo. Who knows, maybe he gets his head straight and benefits from a focused offensive coaching staff. SF/Wash/Chicago haven't exactly made stars out of too many WRs as of late.
There's a good lesson for you to learn in there
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #25
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
There's a good lesson for you to learn in there
Maybe, but the bigger point is that they just haven't been teams with quality offensive systems over the past several seasons.

Orton managed respectable results, despite what I'd suspect to be offensive conditions far inferior to what he'll enjoy in Denver.

We'll see.