The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default I never read this --- WARNING (Anti-Shanahan)

I went to the Panthers game this year and I must have missed this thread buried in the rest of 'em...in my opinion, this tells me that Shanahan was losing it

Upon reflection, Shanahan indicated the early game Sunday between the Chargers and the Kansas City Chiefs might have affected the way his team played against the Carolina Panthers.

The Chargers rallied from a 21-3 second-quarter deficit to defeat the Chiefs 22-21. The Broncos watched the first half of that game, when it appeared the Chargers were going down. It was some time after kickoff they discovered the Chiefs failed to finish.

The Broncos then were trounced 30-10 by the Panthers.

"I think I made a mistake by allowing that I normally allow that to happen, except for about an hour and a half before the game," Shanahan said. "So we get a chance to watch the first half of most games, because we get in the locker room early.

"But it does take some emotion out of you, just watching. So we won't have any TVs on. We'll take care of business and not worry about Tampa Bay and San Diego and hopefully control our own destiny."

Dude, he let them WATCH the first half of a game?? Are you kidding me McDaniels would never do that
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

The Broncos players on our SB 33 team were watching the Falcons @ Vikings game before the AFCG against the Jets. We were down 10 nothing when the Vikings missed the GW field goal.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I'm hopeful McDaniels will do well, but I can't say for sure that he wouldn't let his players watch the first half of a game. It does speak to the theory that Shanahan lost control of his team if he couldn't get his players ready to play a game...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
I went to the Panthers game this year and I must have missed this thread buried in the rest of 'em...in my opinion, this tells me that Shanahan was losing it
We TOTALLY discredited this myth when it happened. How? Because the Broncos scored their only 10 pts on their first two drives and the defense actually forced a punt in the first quarter. They didn't really start sucking until the 2nd half. They looked GREAT in the beginning of that game.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I'm hopeful McDaniels will do well, but I can't say for sure that he wouldn't let his players watch the first half of a game. It does speak to the theory that Shanahan lost control of his team if he couldn't get his players ready to play a game...
I was really just busting balls bringing this back up but I really didnt know about this.....I dont know how a guy in Shanahan's position, putting such a young team on the field against such a good opponent could possibly let this fly. In retrospect, it says a lot about the prisoners running the asylum last year. I wonder if Jay was pounding a few brews watching that game.

When you take something like this and compound it with the loss against Buffalo at home, I'm surprised we didnt lose by 70 to the Chargers
Old 07-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
We TOTALLY discredited this myth when it happened. How? Because the Broncos scored their only 10 pts on their first two drives and the defense actually forced a punt in the first quarter. They didn't really start sucking until the 2nd half. They looked GREAT in the beginning of that game.
All the pressure was off at that point....I bet they thought they were going to play one half of football and then take a seat on the bench to eat oranges.

The defense played well in the first half from what I remember...and then the 1-2 punch of Stewart adn Williams blasted us...didnt help that Steve Smith decided he was going to put on a clinic, a la, Reggie Wayne against us

Anyways, I seriously didnt know about this and wouldnt expect a guy like Shanahan to let this fly...especially after the Jets AFCCG
Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Upon reflection, Shanahan indicated the early game Sunday between the Chargers and the Kansas City Chiefs might have affected the way his team played against the Carolina Panthers.

The Chargers rallied from a 21-3 second-quarter deficit to defeat the Chiefs 22-21. The Broncos watched the first half of that game, when it appeared the Chargers were going down. It was some time after kickoff they discovered the Chiefs failed to finish.

"I think I made a mistake by allowing that I normally allow that to happen, except for about an hour and a half before the game," Shanahan said. "So we get a chance to watch the first half of most games, because we get in the locker room early.

"But it does take some emotion out of you, just watching. So we won't have any TVs on. We'll take care of business and not worry about Tampa Bay and San Diego and hopefully control our own destiny."

Dude, he let them WATCH the first half of a game?? Are you kidding me McDaniels would never do that
Hindsight is 20/20 and the thing about Shanny is he never over managed the team. That is, he let the grown ups in the locker room do what they wanted.

Looking back on it, yah, not a good idea.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

who knew you were supposed to cover steve smith?!?!
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

No matter what the Broncos did before that particular game, it didn't matter. The simple fact was the Panthers were a MUCH better team than us last year. I don't know why that is so hard to understand.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
The Broncos players on our SB 33 team were watching the Falcons @ Vikings game before the AFCG against the Jets. We were down 10 nothing when the Vikings missed the GW field goal.
That isn't accurate. Yes, the players were watching the game in the locker room, but the Viking-Falcon game ended during the first quarter of the Bronco game. The Jets didn't go up 10-0 until after halftime on the blocked punt they recovered on the 1 yard line.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The overall three game slide at the end of the season where the team only needed one win and couldn't do it is what hurts the most. Pile on the fact that they perhaps didn't play as hard as they could have thinking KC had done their jobs for them is just bad coaching IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #12
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
The overall three game slide at the end of the season where the team only needed one win and couldn't do it is what hurts the most. Pile on the fact that they perhaps didn't play as hard as they could have thinking KC had done their jobs for them is just bad coaching IMHO.
the only reason this came up is because in another thread someone (I think it was Mock) explained our three game slide as this:

Carolina smashing our defense up (which I sort of disagree with...the offense did nothing after the first two drives)

He didnt mention the Buffalo game

The Chargers were in Jay's head

Somehow this was supposed to explain the slide, but I wasnt satisfied so I started to look for past game logs, etc (Im really bored today at work). In my opinion two of these games (Buffalo and Carolina) are a 50/50 split in blame for the offense and defense

teh defense didnt play THAT bad for stretches of these games but were on the field WAAAY too much.....also, we had no RBs but we still found a way to run versus Carolina until we fell behind...and against Buffalo until another injury occurred (Pope)

so where people were thinking our offense was scoring at clips and the defense was a sieve, thats not neccessarily true
Old 07-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
kmonty
BT Blogger

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sweet Feet

Frankly, 8-8 was a miracle with that defense and the hellish decay of running backs. I think Shanny did an outstanding coaching job to nearly pull out the playoffs with that team last year.

(Granted, the defense IS his fault, but anyway...)
kmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

8-8 was a miracle. That was the worst defense I have ever seen in my life.

If we would have had to go to Detroit last year, the Lions are (1-15).
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinal11 View Post

Was also one of the most injury riddled D's I have ever seen ...

Everyone talks about how many HBs we lost last year , what about the fact on D we played musical safeties all year and had a make shift LB core with people playing all out of position , and it's 2 best players missed a large amount of time , Champ and Dj ...

We Don't even know HOW good or BAD that D really was with all the injuries ... When Healthy at start of season they at least wasn't historically bad.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinal11 View Post

Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'd be curious to see how many people, both fans and experts alike who broke last season down by game, actually had them winning either of the road games? I'm guessing not many. The Buffalo game was absolutely inexcusable, but it's not like either the Carolina or San Diego games were penciled in as wins.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
and the Jets were watching the game too. Oh, and so was every single fan in Mile High because we were watching it on the stadium screens.

IIRC, Anderson's miss came at the end of regulation. I was at the Broncos game, and that game did not start until after regulation ended in Minnesota.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
the only reason this came up is because in another thread someone (I think it was Mock) explained our three game slide as this:

Carolina smashing our defense up (which I sort of disagree with...the offense did nothing after the first two drives)

He didnt mention the Buffalo game

The Chargers were in Jay's head

Somehow this was supposed to explain the slide, but I wasnt satisfied so I started to look for past game logs, etc (Im really bored today at work). In my opinion two of these games (Buffalo and Carolina) are a 50/50 split in blame for the offense and defense

teh defense didnt play THAT bad for stretches of these games but were on the field WAAAY too much.....also, we had no RBs but we still found a way to run versus Carolina until we fell behind...and against Buffalo until another injury occurred (Pope)

so where people were thinking our offense was scoring at clips and the defense was a sieve, thats not neccessarily true
The Panthers had over 300 yards rushing the week before against the Buc's D. We held them to one big run from Williams and just over 100 yards total as a team. It was a really ugly game for the O.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
How is that the same situation? They had to win the game they were playing that day regardless of which team won that game.

The players went in to the game against the Panthers thinking they had the playoffs locked up whether they won or lost.

I'm really not sure what difference it really made though... I'm still in disbelief that they lost that game against the Bills at home.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #21
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous View Post
How is that the same situation? They had to win the game they were playing that day regardless of which team won that game.

The players went in to the game against the Panthers thinking they had the playoffs locked up whether they won or lost.

I'm really not sure what difference it really made though... I'm still in disbelief that they lost that game against the Bills at home.
I'm sure they didn't want to have to play the Vikings in the SB. I don't know how that game would have turned out, Minnesota was beastly that year.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #22
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:

There is something to be said for that. In 98 when Denver was facing NY at home for the AFCCG they were doing a lot of scoreboard watching before the game. Then Denver came out and struggled early before finally picking it up late in the 3rd quarter.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #23
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
The Broncos under shanny always looked great on the first 2-3 drives and then slowly fell apart as the game went along...if we sucked in the start of the game it was going to be a long ass day!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote