The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Broncos need to take charge in Marshall flap

The Denver Broncos aren't sure what happens next with wide receiver Brandon Marshall. He skipped a mandatory minicamp, wants a new contract and once told local police he has as much affection for Denver as Al Davis does for Mike Shanahan. Moreover, Marshall's agent said the disgruntled star wants out and that the Broncos will try to accommodate him.

There is something wrong with this picture. This is not about doing what is best for Brandon Marshall. This is about doing what is best for the Denver Broncos.

And what is best for Denver is nothing. You heard me. Squat. The Broncos don't make a move here because there is no decision to make.

I don't care if Marshall is unhappy. I don't care if he doesn't like the new coaching staff. I don't give a flip whether he doesn't report to training camp, demands to be traded or doesn't play a down this season. What I do care about is the 52 other guys who fill the Broncos' roster, and so should new coach Josh McDaniels.

That's why this one is a no-brainer. If the organization caves in and gives Marshall what he wants -- which, I imagine, is a one-way ticket out of town -- every malcontent, every guy who isn't starting and every El demando who doesn't get his way will want the same thing, citing Marshall and Jay Cutler as role models.

Cutler was the Broncos' starting quarterback until he demanded a trade. Denver complied, and he's now the starting quarterback in Chicago. Fine. Denver decided it wanted someone it could trust at the most important position, and that someone was not Cutler. So it traded for Kyle Orton and draft picks.

I guess Marshall figured if he complained loud enough he might get the same treatment. But Marshall doesn't play the most important position on the team, and Marshall isn't the guy the rest of the club looks to for direction. If he were, there would be a traffic jam at the security checkpoints at Denver International.

Anyway, my point is this: Keeping Marshall has less to do with what he gives the Broncos on the field than the reverberations his exit could make with the rest of the team. San Diego general manager A.J. Smith is fond of saying that players and agents don't run clubs; owners, general managers and coaches do. And he is more than willing to offer a demonstration to anyone bold enough to challenge him.

Read the rest here:

http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/story/11934745
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Imagine a front office of A.J. Smith and McBeavis.

It would be worse than Hitler and Himmler.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
There is something wrong with this picture. This is not about doing what is best for Brandon Marshall. This is about doing what is best for the Denver Broncos.

And what is best for Denver is nothing. You heard me. Squat. The Broncos don't make a move here because there is no decision to make.
I'll buy that ... and who was making the point (and a great point it is) that as an RFA next year, another team would have to give up a 1st and 3rd to get him? So the bidding starts there, a 1st and 3rd ... and nobody's gonna pay that.

So yeah, the article is right: we do squat.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Imagine a front office of A.J. Smith and McBeavis.

It would be worse than Hitler and Himmler.
Why exactly does everybody hate A.J. Smith?

Seems to me he's assembled a pretty excellent, even awesome roster
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

he may be one of teh top drafting GMs in the league. but hes a huge dbag
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

Because he is a Charger?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

that happens by default when you pick in the top 5 for more than a decade.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
I'll buy that ... and who was making the point (and a great point it is) that as an RFA next year, another team would have to give up a 1st and 3rd to get him? So the bidding starts there, a 1st and 3rd ... and nobody's gonna pay that.

So yeah, the article is right: we do squat.
i agree. plus it looks good in our favor. TC starts in a few weeks, we tell Marshall we looked into offers for you, but no one was willing to pay what we feel you are worth to our team. He comes to camp after maybe a few skipped days and we move on, and by midseason we offer him a new deal.

there are only 2 ways this should end. we make him play 1 more year for us and tender him with a 1st and 3rd

or

we do nothing and re-sign him long term before the season ends

either way, we end up with either a great receiver or great compensation for him
Old 07-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
that happens by default when you pick in the top 5 for more than a decade.
*cough* LIONS *cough*
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

What a phenomenally accurate article.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
mizzoutigers
Seasoned Veteran

he's really the only piece of sh** on the current roster; a roster that used to have quite a few.
mizzoutigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
The Denver Broncos aren't sure what happens next with wide receiver Brandon Marshall. He skipped a mandatory minicamp, wants a new contract and once told local police he has as much affection for Denver as Al Davis does for Mike Shanahan. Moreover, Marshall's agent said the disgruntled star wants out and that the Broncos will try to accommodate him.

I don't care if Marshall is unhappy. I don't care if he doesn't like the new coaching staff. I don't give a flip whether he doesn't report to training camp, demands to be traded or doesn't play a down this season. What I do care about is the 52 other guys who fill the Broncos' roster, and so should new coach Josh McDaniels.

That's why this one is a no-brainer. If the organization caves in and gives Marshall what he wants -- which, I imagine, is a one-way ticket out of town -- every malcontent, every guy who isn't starting and every El demando who doesn't get his way will want the same thing, citing Marshall and Jay Cutler as role models.

Cutler was the Broncos' starting quarterback until he demanded a trade. Denver complied, and he's now the starting quarterback in Chicago. Fine. Denver decided it wanted someone it could trust at the most important position, and that someone was not Cutler. So it traded for Kyle Orton and draft picks.

I guess Marshall figured if he complained loud enough he might get the same treatment. But Marshall doesn't play the most important position on the team, and Marshall isn't the guy the rest of the club looks to for direction. If he were, there would be a traffic jam at the security checkpoints at Denver International.

Anyway, my point is this: Keeping Marshall has less to do with what he gives the Broncos on the field than the reverberations his exit could make with the rest of the team. San Diego general manager A.J. Smith is fond of saying that players and agents don't run clubs; owners, general managers and coaches do. And he is more than willing to offer a demonstration to anyone bold enough to challenge him.

Read the rest here:

http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/story/11934745
I guess MCKYD is taking charge like he did in the Cutler debacle and going to trade him. At this point it really doesn't matter. I could really see Marshall being a distraction on a 4-12 team. Might as well trade him for a 2nd rounder.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I guess MCKYD is taking charge like he did in the Cutler debacle and going to trade him. At this point it really doesn't matter. I could really see Marshall being a distraction on a 4-12 team. Might as well trade him for a 2nd rounder.
theyd prolly be better off just cutting him and relocating the team to london.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
theyd prolly be better off just cutting him and relocating the team to london.
I don't see how that would help, but thanks for your input.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I don't see how that would help, but thanks for your input.
then they wouldnt even need to bother playing the season, since its already over and everything.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #17
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
then they wouldnt even need to bother playing the season, since its already over and everything.
So when the prediction thread comes out you're not going to make a prediction? You're above that?

Hey, if the Broncos go 5-11 this year they'll have done better than I thought and I'll be happy.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #18
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

El Demando....
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #19
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoutigers View Post
he's really the only piece of sh** on the current roster; a roster that used to have quite a few.
so randy moss is a great big piece of **** and your point is ?
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
*cough* LIONS *cough*
That's the Millen Effect. a normal team picking top 5 for around a decade should load a team with stars at different positions. Not 4 of those top 5 picks at the same position.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
**** that! let him be a punk b**** for a year, he has to come in and play his ass off for us anyway if he wants his FA money. he can't afford to sit out and hope teams will throw money at him for being a distraction on and off the field. he has to get to camp show what he can do on the field, and stay out of trouble to get his money.

and if he doesn't want to be here, so be it. we get all we can for him for 1 more year, and next offseason tender him at a 1st and 3rd and get all we can for him. if next season we can get a 1st and 3rd for him, we can't trade him now for anything less.

i say stand firm with him, make him realize he has no option but to show up, see how he handles himself with the new coach and system, see if he is staying out of trouble and if he is, by midseason offer him a new deal. if he refuses, say thanks for your service here, tender him 1st and 3rd next offseason and move on.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #22
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I love how when I bring that up RE Cutler, the other side of the fence screams that that's not true and that he forced the FO into action despite saying he'd show up for mandatory activities. Yet, now in this Marshall situation, they all rush to it and say "we have the leverage".

Make up your ****ing minds kids.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I love how when I bring that up RE Cutler, the other side of the fence screams that that's not true and that he forced the FO into action despite saying he'd show up for mandatory activities. Yet, now in this Marshall situation, they all rush to it and say "we have the leverage".

Make up your ****ing minds kids.
most of us agree that cutler shouldnt be traded, and if WE personally ran teh team, probably would not have traded him. however, he personally insulted the owner of the team, the guy who signed his checks, and thus was delivered a one way sentence to the QB killer town. mcdaniels did not order the jay cutler trade, by most accounts he was gonna let it die down and talk with jay cutler during ota's etc.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #24
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
**** that! let him be a punk b**** for a year, he has to come in and play his ass off for us anyway if he wants his FA money. he can't afford to sit out and hope teams will throw money at him for being a distraction on and off the field. he has to get to camp show what he can do on the field, and stay out of trouble to get his money.

and if he doesn't want to be here, so be it. we get all we can for him for 1 more year, and next offseason tender him at a 1st and 3rd and get all we can for him. if next season we can get a 1st and 3rd for him, we can't trade him now for anything less.

i say stand firm with him, make him realize he has no option but to show up, see how he handles himself with the new coach and system, see if he is staying out of trouble and if he is, by midseason offer him a new deal. if he refuses, say thanks for your service here, tender him 1st and 3rd next offseason and move on.
He can play his ASS off, get great stats and still be a huge distraction for the team... IE T.O. IE Chad Johnson.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #25
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The writer of this article gets three gold stars!!!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote