The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Kyle Orton being offered an extention early...
...wouldn't surprise me at all. It shows their confidence in him. 16 19.05%
....won't happen until after a few games at least. 12 14.29%
...won't happen until the end of a "possible" excellent season. 35 41.67%
Won't happen at all because he sucks! He's not JAY CUTLER AND I'M STILL PISSED!!! RAWREEWRWgarbble 21 25.00%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default What if Kyle Orton got extended early?

Just wondering here, but let's suppose the rumors we're hearing locally and from those "in the know" are really true and that Orton has performed so well in preseason that they decide they don't want him to hit RFAgency and instead try to sign him early?

I wonder what the reaction would be? Before you freak out, understand that Xanders was one of the guys who spearheaded getting DJ signed early, so there are guys in the front office who have a sort of precedent of doing this.

I also would love to see the meltdown that would occur if Orton was extended before Brandon Marshall, which could happen if they like him enough.

Thoughts? Tantrums?
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i will not be surprised at all to see Orton get extended by midseason
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Just wondering here, but let's suppose the rumors we're hearing locally and from those "in the know" are really true and that Orton has performed so well in preseason that they decide they don't want him to hit RFAgency and instead try to sign him early?

I wonder what the reaction would be? Before you freak out, understand that Xanders was one of the guys who spearheaded getting DJ signed early, so there are guys in the front office who have a sort of precedent of doing this.

I also would love to see the meltdown that would occur if Orton was extended before Brandon Marshall, which could happen if they like him enough.

Thoughts? Tantrums?
I'd be upset but what can I do about it...i'd rather wait at least 6-7 weeks into the season to see how he performs when it matters. Pre-season is pretty vanilla!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I hope not. At the same time...I hope he does well...but he reminds me of a slow Jake Plummer.

I think he will do really well...until the games are on the line and we desparately need to score...or on 3rd downs when we need to keep the chains moving.

I could be wrong. I certainly have been before.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
I hope not. At the same time...I hope he does well...but he reminds me of a slow Jake Plummer.

I think he will do really well...until the games are on the line and we desparately need to score...or on 3rd downs when we need to keep the chains moving.

our last QB choked a lot on this situations too
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Realistically, it wouldn't be SO early that we wouldn't have seen him play in live regular season action.

Neither the FO (well... maybe this new FO ), nor his agent would allow it.

So, if he's playing well and deserves it, sure bring it on on the cheap.

Naturally, I think the odds of that happening are the same as us reading the phrase "JT O'Sullivan named League MVP", but both would be kinda cool...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Orton= stopgap QB.

I agree with TheRev, he isn't getting extended unless he comes cheap.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

IMO, depends on the CBA situation...™
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Why not?

We're paying Orton and Simms 3x as much as Cutler as it is.

Oh yeah, it was all about a new contract...
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

It would suck. I don't want to think about Orton being the long term QB, here. We can do alot better.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

I think Orton under McDaniels schemes and the Broncos weapons will not only be successful but will thrive. The Broncos clicked with Shanahan and Elway because they were a team first and foremost and talked things over as friends with respect. The whole extension thing will come down to Orton's raport with McDaniels and if he considers him the man he needs long term. mcDaniels is surrounding himself with guys he knows can be molded into team guys instead of just talent with no heart and no team focus. Could be wrong but I think by midseason we'll be hoping he is tied up long term.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I don't think it will happen but if it did then it is good sign for Broncos. It means that Orton is doing well in the system and we will be set for a while.
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Orton gets extended?

Great. Wouldn't be done without good reason. If he's extended, it likely means he's made a great impression on the staff.

He was a winner with less talent around him in Chicago and not much offensive coaching. I'm excited to see what he can do in a better situation, offensively.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:

You realize that our last QB was a choke artist when it mattered right? Cutler was horrid in the red zone. While Orton was one of the best in the Red Zone. So I would really like to see what you are basing your theory on that he will choke on 3rd down and scoring situations.

Keep in mind he had one of the worse lines and WR corps in football while drunk boy Cutler had one of the best.

Just curious is all. I would take a grown up sober Cutler any day over Orton but I don't think that will ever happen.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #15
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
You realize that our last QB was a choke artist when it mattered right? Cutler was horrid in the red zone. While Orton was one of the best in the Red Zone. So I would really like to see what you are basing your theory on that he will choke on 3rd down and scoring situations.

Keep in mind he had one of the worse lines and WR corps in football while drunk boy Cutler had one of the best.

Just curious is all. I would take a grown up sober Cutler any day over Orton but I don't think that will ever happen.
Did you watch the Cleveland game last season?

Did you watch the Atlanta game?

Do you think with a back like Moreno or a healthy Hillis, Cutler would still be forced to risk red zone INTs like the ones against Buffalo?

The problem with making deductions solely through reading statistics on paper is that they fail to capture the underlying game situations and other invariables that influence the outcome much more than mere statistics..

Last edited by atomicbloke; 07-09-2009 at 10:21 PM..
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
Did you watch the Cleveland game last season?

Did you watch the Atlanta game?

Do you think with a back like Moreno or a healthy Hillis, Cutler would still be forced to risk red zone INTs like the ones against Buffalo?
he wasnt "forced" to risk many of his interceptions, he FORCED them himself.
its not all his fault, he should never have been given the entire team on his back or allowed to throw that many times given how good the running game was going regardless of who was back there, but still.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
Do you think with a back like Moreno or a healthy Hillis, Cutler would still be forced to risk red zone INTs like the ones against Buffalo?.
There's truth in what you're saying, no question. When Jay was asked to sit back in the offense... make some plays and let the offense work as a whole, he played his best football.

The problem came when Jay tried to win games by himself. Forced to, or not... he had great difficulty doing so, which is why the Elway comparisons are idiotic.

Cutler may well develop into a "franchise" QB, but right now... he's nowhere close.

Beyond that, if Favre would have stayed retired... Jay Cutler would have led the league in interceptions. Sorry, but we can't blame that all on his running back.

So, if we've established that Jay played his best ball when he sunk into the system... ask yourself just what do you think McDaniels plans to do with Orton?

Already having one of the better lines in football, McDaniels went right out and got the best RB in the draft, and several quality back-ups.... added a talented #3 WR familiar with the system and drafted the best blocking TE in the draft.

Take that pool of facts and apply it to your theory that basically says Jay Cutler played his best football when he was able to rely on the offense around him working properly.

Enter Kyle Orton.... look back at Matt Cassel, and you'll start to understand the philosophical difference between last year's team and this year's team.
It's no longer about trying to find the next Elway, or hanging every game on a QB.

We're in the process of building a complete team. Offense, defense and yes... even special teams.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
he wasnt "forced" to risk many of his interceptions, he FORCED them himself.
its not all his fault, he should never have been given the entire team on his back or allowed to throw that many times given how good the running game was going regardless of who was back there, but still.
exactly. a lot of his INTs came from him having plenty of time, and not finding an open guy and instead of throwing it away or checking down, he forced passes into coverage and got intercepted.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #19
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

That's when he'll likely do the best.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #20
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
There's truth in what you're saying, no question. When Jay was asked to sit back in the offense... make some plays and let the offense work as a whole, he played his best football.

The problem came when Jay tried to win games by himself. Forced to, or not... he had great difficulty doing so, which is why the Elway comparisons are idiotic.

Cutler may well develop into a "franchise" QB, but right now... he's nowhere close.

Beyond that, if Favre would have stayed retired... Jay Cutler would have led the league in interceptions. Sorry, but we can't blame that all on his running back.

So, if we've established that Jay played his best ball when he sunk into the system... ask yourself just what do you think McDaniels plans to do with Orton?

Already having one of the better lines in football, McDaniels went right out and got the best RB in the draft, and several quality back-ups.... added a talented #3 WR familiar with the system and drafted the best blocking TE in the draft.

Take that pool of facts and apply it to your theory that basically says Jay Cutler played his best football when he was able to rely on the offense around him working properly.

Enter Kyle Orton.... look back at Matt Cassel, and you'll start to understand the philosophical difference between last year's team and this year's team.
It's no longer about trying to find the next Elway, or hanging every game on a QB.

We're in the process of building a complete team. Offense, defense and yes... even special teams.
Touche, Excellent post Popps!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #21
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

He was a winner with less talent around him in Chicago and not much offensive coaching. I'm excited to see what he can do in a better situation, offensively.
Rex Grossman had an almost identical win/loss record in Chicago and he took them to a Super Bowl.

Let's not pretend that Kyle Orton did a lot better than Rex Grossman did in Chicago.

Kyle Orton: 30 TDs 27 INTs - 71.1 QB rating - 21-12 as a starter....no playoff wins.

Rex Grossman: 33 TDs 35 INTs - 70.2 QB rating - 19-12 as a starter....2-2 in playoff games and went to the Super Bowl.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #22
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Rex Grossman had an almost identical win/loss record in Chicago and he took them to a Super Bowl.

Let's not pretend that Kyle Orton did a lot better than Rex Grossman did in Chicago.

Kyle Orton: 30 TDs 27 INTs - 71.1 QB rating - 21-12 as a starter....no playoff wins.

Rex Grossman: 33 TDs 35 INTs - 70.2 QB rating - 19-12 as a starter....2-2 in playoff games and went to the Super Bowl.
What Grossman has always lacked has been consistency - and I think that the fact he posted an only marginally lower QB rating despite throwing many many more INTs tends to indicate that.

To compare the two directly is insane: Grossman was the kind of guy who would look like a pro-bowler one play and then make the most apalling mistakes the next. Orton was the flipside of that - the more consistent game-manager who nonetheless might arguably make fewer big plays all by himself.

The problem in Chicago is that they couldn't work out which QB they liked the best - the boom-or-bust guy, or the level-headed game-manager

The difference in Denver is that McDaniels knows EXACTLY which kind of QB he wants, and its definitely the latter. Moreover that's probably why Cutler didn't really want to play for him and why maybe - just maybe - McD, despite protestations to the contrary, didn't really want Cutler under center either. We'llnever know for sure, but what is certain is that Orton is a good fit for what McD is trying to do here, and if he proves successful he will only grow in stature and confidence....if not, well, we're screwed... :-)
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:20 AM   #23
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

I don't see any reason why we should extend him before the season starts. I don't think Orton would want to leave Denver if he had a good year this season. It would be a pretty dumb move by McDaniels if he extended him before a real game was ever played.

Last edited by BMarsh615; 07-10-2009 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: stupid typo
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #24
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler

M E O W

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

who knows what the broncos will do anymore? I sure as hell have no idea. Orton is a Backup on any nfl team, not a starter. But, we are talking about Mcdoucebag the miracle worker who thinks he can turn water into wine. Good luck with that, a-hole. God, I hate him.:
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:34 AM   #25
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Why not?

We're paying Orton and Simms 3x as much as Cutler as it is.

Oh yeah, it was all about a new contract...
Players do receive money aside from their base salaries you know.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote