The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default anyone god with electronics/car stereos etc?

im trying to take the following things and make them portable:
1. set of 2 car speakers or any other speakers that i can build into a box
2. ipod jack/plugin
3. wahtever powers these two

so i can make them useful wherever i need them, and it has to be small. i cant find anything that will play car speakers portably...

im also looking at buying battery powered speakers and tearing tehm open and building it into the table, would that work?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
im trying to take the following things and make them portable:
1. set of 2 car speakers or any other speakers that i can build into a box
2. ipod jack/plugin
3. wahtever powers these two

so i can make them useful wherever i need them, and it has to be small. i cant find anything that will play car speakers portably...

im also looking at buying battery powered speakers and tearing tehm open and building it into the table, would that work?
Search the Homebrew websites, or post on one, someone has to have a solution for this, especially city dwellers.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Anyone god?

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

So, there are a ton of portable iPod/iPhone speaker sets out there. That's not what you're looking for?

What is your ultimate goal with this?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

your going to need an amp, so youll need to wire battery power, ground, remote turn on, all the other wiring can be internal, but im not sure what you really want to do.

best bet would be to get a new deck that has an ipod input , so that it can play directly out of the car stereo, rather then try to re invent the wheel.

if you clarify exactly what it is you want to do maybe i can help more
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
your going to need an amp, so youll need to wire battery power, ground, remote turn on, all the other wiring can be internal, but im not sure what you really want to do.

best bet would be to get a new deck that has an ipod input , so that it can play directly out of the car stereo, rather then try to re invent the wheel.

if you clarify exactly what it is you want to do maybe i can help more
all of this, AND

tell us what kind of car speakers you have, what kind of space you need, budget, etc etc.

If you're just lookin to make a boombox that plugs in, that's one thing. If this is something you want totally self sufficient (with some kind of a battery), that's a different story.

Do you need a display?

What kind of controls do you want?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

im building this into my new portable beer pong table. this isnt for a car, but i DO want to use a car deck installed on hte table, i just dont know how to power it.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

figured it out, i need a small atv battery or something, hook the yellow and red wires to the positive and the black wires to the negative with a switch for the red wire. then wire up the speakers...
Old 07-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Anyone god?

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Ha Ha I was thinking the same thing
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Well, I have electronics and a car stereo. As for the other part...

I'd say yes!
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
figured it out, i need a small atv battery or something, hook the yellow and red wires to the positive and the black wires to the negative with a switch for the red wire. then wire up the speakers...
Exactly. Don't know if you're going to be using this outdoors or not...but if it's gonna be an indoor thing (or somewhere with a plug), you might consister a converter (110 to 12v) so you're not always running the battery.

Also, if you're using it outdoors, try to build some kind of a waterproof case for it, like a plexiglass stand or marine audio-style cover.

Lastly, for the speakers, if you're building them INTO the table (assuming you're going to be facing them up), you can build some small boxes for them that screw into the table itself. Maybe even some baffling for better sound. Doesn't need to be too huge, but if you get me the speaker types I can find you some diagrams for optimum sound.

You plannin on using 6x9's?

keep us posted with pics
Old 07-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

p.s. I found a GREAT forum discussion on something that might work pretty well for your situation.

check out the pics partway down the page.

All you'd really have to do is fabricate some boxes for your speakers, and come up with a charging system.

But they really delve deep into ohm capacities with a battery setup, and HIS deck is encased with a marine deck stand. You wouldn't have to go that extreme, but again, if your outdoors, it could be a great idea. Plexiglass with hinges would be fine IMO.

http://community.crutchfield.com/for...550/34149.aspx
Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

this will be outdoors pretty much exclusively, im hoping it is truly portable (going to cut table in half, add hinging legs and hinge the middle with a handle on opposide side so i can carry it)

the speakers will be permanently built into the table. im not gonna make it work with a plug because id like to use it for tailgating, if i was gonna use a plug i wouldnt use a head unit, prolly some other sort of CD player and powered speakers (would be far easier too)

thats the major problem here, making it functional AND portable.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

**** it, i will probably just put legs on this one and make it simply a beer pong table that has an a ball holder.

i have great ideas for another table though, i think speakers are unnecessary for an indoor table as my surround sound is far better, however id like to have an LED that displays the winning streak on the side, maybe LED strips along the outside edge.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
**** it, i will probably just put legs on this one and make it simply a beer pong table that has an a ball holder.

i have great ideas for another table though, i think speakers are unnecessary for an indoor table as my surround sound is far better, however id like to have an LED that displays the winning streak on the side, maybe LED strips along the outside edge.
Get an Arduino computer, some LED's, some senors for the cups.

Cut holes for the LEDS next to each cup, put weight sensors under each cup based on weight of the ball, program the Arduino to activate the LED's for each cup when the weight = the ball.

That would be cool and fun to program.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Get an Arduino computer, some LED's, some senors for the cups.

Cut holes for the LEDS next to each cup, put weight sensors under each cup based on weight of the ball, program the Arduino to activate the LED's for each cup when the weight = the ball.

That would be cool and fun to program.
thats waht i was thinking of earlier, however instead of winning streak it would say balls remaining and automatically count down. the LEDs would light up the side, 10% more for each ball until they are all made when they would light. but that would take someone far smarter than me to progra.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
thats waht i was thinking of earlier, however instead of winning streak it would say balls remaining and automatically count down. the LEDs would light up the side, 10% more for each ball until they are all made when they would light. but that would take someone far smarter than me to progra.
If you have visio you can map out the flow, figure what you want it to do then start a thread on a homebrew board, I bet there is someone out there living in their parents basement desperate to prove their life is not an empty sham and will do this for you.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #18
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
If you have visio you can map out the flow, figure what you want it to do then start a thread on a homebrew board, I bet there is someone out there living in their parents basement desperate to prove their life is not an empty sham and will do this for you.
well this table wont be for awhile. my NES controller table in my garage is just waiting to be finished and i want to make it portable i think soooo

also, on my new table, it will be bronco themed, LEDs will outlay the bronco in the middle of the table which will hopefully beat with music, plexiglass top, built in beer cooler or ball washer, some other things ive been thinking of.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
well this table wont be for awhile. my NES controller table in my garage is just waiting to be finished and i want to make it portable i think soooo

also, on my new table, it will be bronco themed, LEDs will outlay the bronco in the middle of the table which will hopefully beat with music, plexiglass top, built in beer cooler or ball washer, some other things ive been thinking of.
Have you seen the show MAKE on PBS?

http://makezine.com/tv/

Fun stuff, I ordered a 2nd hand book on 1 wire Weather station hacks. Then I saw this show.

It was on Lakeview PBS at 9:30 on Mondays, It is channel 14 for me on Comcast.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #20
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

use a deep cycle marine battery, and all marine equipment, as its all water proof, the deep cycle battery would take the total draining better then a normal battery which will be punched if you totally drain it a few times.

and if you had a small plc and a couple of prox sensors you could make it flash lights when you got it into the cups, the tricky part would be setting the sensors for the exact type of beer and amount, unless you used inductive sensors with steel balls.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #21
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
use a deep cycle marine battery, and all marine equipment, as its all water proof, the deep cycle battery would take the total draining better then a normal battery which will be punched if you totally drain it a few times.

and if you had a small plc and a couple of prox sensors you could make it flash lights when you got it into the cups, the tricky part would be setting the sensors for the exact type of beer and amount, unless you used inductive sensors with steel balls.
a deep cycle marine battery is far too big..
Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Old 07-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
im building this into my new portable beer pong table. this isnt for a car, but i DO want to use a car deck installed on hte table, i just dont know how to power it.
Damn I may have found a reason to like you.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #25
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Man I think your best bet would be to rig a iPod docking station onto the table somehow. If I'm guessing right you are wanting to get some pretty loud music out of it though right? I really can't see how you are going to get it portable with the car stereo, amps, and speakers with box. Lots of car stereo brands make docking stations like kicker, JBL, and bose.
http://www.outdoorspeakers.us/4-1399...ock_Black.html
http://www.outdoorspeakers.us/4-1399...Pod_Black.html

I think it would be easier to rig one of those under the table. You could even make a small hole in the table so and plug in the dock connector so the iPod is easier to use.

I too have lots of ideas on tables. The one I really want to build would be connected to a drain and a keg. I want it to have drains on the side for the people that spill beer for easier clean up. Just wipe it off to the side and away the beer goes down the drain.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote