The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Default Bill Gates is going to make a doodle .Google to Unveil PC Operating System Wedsday.

Google to Unveil PC Operating System Wednesday

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530580,00.html
Google is expected to announce on Wednesday that it is developing a personal computer operating system based on its Chrome browser, The New York Times reported early Wednesday.

The operating system would be a direct challenge to Microsoft, who manufatures the Windows system used on millions of personal computers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's Gates worst nightmare all over again , Upstarts who threaten ... Not that it really matters tho when you have his kind of money , but still .
It's like netscape all over again... But netscape never got around to turning their browser into a os ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Bill doesn't care. He's retired. Microsoft also has massive market share and every program works for windows. It's not going anywhere anytime soon for better or worse.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

It's still an interesting story. Even as a happy OSX user, I always like to see alternative OS's being rolled out. I wonder if they're going to let people tinker with this like they did Android?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

I can't even get Chrome to work; it won't even load after setup. And I've tried numerous times. Now if Mozilla made an OS, I might care.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
It's still an interesting story. Even as a happy OSX user, I always like to see alternative OS's being rolled out. I wonder if they're going to let people tinker with this like they did Android?
i agree, but i dont think ill ever own anything other than a mac from here on out.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
My bet is that this article is a bit off base. They've been positioning Android as an alternative for netbooks and tablet PC's already. My bet is that this is going to be a further extension of that. Android based with an emphasis on the browser as a platform... deep javascript integration with the ability to run web-apps in a native fashion. It's REALLY difficult to imagine them really trying to compete on the pure desktop side. My bet is that their attacking the new Cloud OS that Microsoft introduced a few months back.

Think appliances, kiosks, netbooks, etc...
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Not sure why Gates would care, except in the spectator sense.

Good luck to Google. I think they're blowing their money filling a niche that is pretty well settled. I'm not sure what Google thinks that they're going to offer that is going to make people drop their OS and come running. Apparently that 1.8% market share that they got after releasing Google Chrome has gone straight to their head. In any case, at least it gives some geeks good paying jobs for some time.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #8
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

Good luck to Google. I think they're blowing their money filling a niche that is pretty well settled. I'm not sure what Google thinks that they're going to offer that is going to make people drop their OS and come running. Apparently that 1.8% market share that they got after releasing Google Chrome has gone straight to their head. In any case, at least it gives some geeks good paying jobs for some time.
No kidding. I think Google is flying far too close to the sun.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
No kidding. I think Google is flying far too close to the sun.
Yea I do as well ... Do one thing well , not many things half a$$ed ...

And yes I know Bill don't really care ... But I just watched a show on the netscape vs Gates thing and was being a drama lama ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #10
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

The biggest problem with Chrome is that it reports every damn thing you do back to Google. Much like Picassa which is a very nice photo editor but technically gives Google the rights to your work. They walk a very unpleasant line on user rights.

However, from what Google has primarily been positioning themselves as, I think there is a legitmate niche for what they'll likely deliver here. A slimmed down interface that is highly based on net connectivity, where you can access all of your apps through online resources.

They could find a home providing it to people and businesses that just want a simple web PC. How many people just use their computers for internet related activities (browsing, checking the weather, email, etc.)? A pretty large margin. If they can get even a small percentage of that to jump on board with their system it'll be a nice start.

If its streamlined enough and supports touchscreen controls I'd probably strongly consider it for the PC I'll be building for the kitchen shortly. Its just going to be a paired down desktop with a 15" touchscreen attached and a rollable keyboard stuffed in a drawer 90% of the time, as when its up it'll be used for checking email, recipes, weather, and maintaining grocery lists and running media playback (off the media server) when in the kitchen, dinning room, or back patio.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:03 AM   #11
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

i must say that even though its not 100% compatible with everything, chrome runs WAY faster than IE
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #12
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
The biggest problem with Chrome is that it reports every damn thing you do back to Google. Much like Picassa which is a very nice photo editor but technically gives Google the rights to your work. They walk a very unpleasant line on user rights.

However, from what Google has primarily been positioning themselves as, I think there is a legitmate niche for what they'll likely deliver here. A slimmed down interface that is highly based on net connectivity, where you can access all of your apps through online resources.

They could find a home providing it to people and businesses that just want a simple web PC. How many people just use their computers for internet related activities (browsing, checking the weather, email, etc.)? A pretty large margin. If they can get even a small percentage of that to jump on board with their system it'll be a nice start.

If its streamlined enough and supports touchscreen controls I'd probably strongly consider it for the PC I'll be building for the kitchen shortly. Its just going to be a paired down desktop with a 15" touchscreen attached and a rollable keyboard stuffed in a drawer 90% of the time, as when its up it'll be used for checking email, recipes, weather, and maintaining grocery lists and running media playback (off the media server) when in the kitchen, dinning room, or back patio.

When you look at the google apps as well, the integration they have will be pretty slick. I know the google apps on my WinMo device are pretty slick.

(Did you know you can text google your ?'s?)
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

Reading this, you and I share a lot of tech sensibilities.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Personally, I am a fan of WebOS on the Palm Pre. I'd like to see that thing expanded to a desktop touchscreen PC.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Google Chrome works great for me, I might consider switching to this new OS if it supports my programs.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #16
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The biggest problem with Chrome is that it reports every damn thing you do back to Google.
Even if I don't click this box?

SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:

From what I read Google is trying to get into the Cloud and Distributed arena's, with this OS I understood most if not all data either is stored on Google's clould or you have option for local.

I read the article quick in a Dr's office so I may be off base.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #18
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Anyone that thinks Google is going to succeed in this area is fooling themselves.

Google makes a decent product, but nothing they have done is polished. Chrome is the worst browser out there, period. gmail is simple and doesnt offer the features it should at this point. Google Talk allows you to do just that, talk in IM but not much else (although, in Google's defense, this is exactly why I love Google Talk above all others, I dont need a bunch of crap on my IM, just the ability to chat). Google docs, while useful in that you can keep your files on the web and such, is EXTREMELY limited and very raw and unpolished. Looks like a bunch of amateur's built it.

Fact is, people do not want an unpolished OS. Windows, unlike OS/X, operates in an environment with HUNDREDS of different vendors all doing their own thing and people blame them when something doesnt work with their hardware, even though in many cases, it has nothing to do with Windows. Google thinks they are going to jump right in and make an OS that works with all those different hardware manufacturers and be completely flawless? Fat freakin chance.

Mac's have the benefit of only having to deal with MAYBE a handful of vendors, but the drawback is you are working on a closed system and you have no other choice even though the most recent version of Mac OS/X is the most vulnerable OS of the next gen OS's. (In an independant test, Mac OS/X was exploited far faster than Vista or any version of Linux).

Still OS/X and Windows are both very polished operating systems despite their flaws, they have both went through it all and both know what works for users. Linux is close to being a polished system, but it still requires a fair amount of tech savvy for users to get it to work properly and that just doesnt cut it in the mainstream.

disclaimer: I am not pro-Microsoft. I, however, understand better than most, making an OS is the most complicated thing a software developer can do and MS gets a worse rap than they deserve considering their OS is attacked more times in an hour than Linux and Mac are combined in a YEAR.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

More competition good for consumer!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #20
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I use Google to look up info daily, that's about it, I wont be using their OS anytime soon.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote