The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default So, one of my sisters had a seizure

She was at a rodeo this weekend, and said she started feeling light headed. Then apparently she started having trouble computing what people were saying to her, and the next thing she knew, she was waking up inbetween some bleachers with her head on her friends knee.

Her friend said the whole seizure part of things lasted for almost ten minutes...frothing at the mouth, tounge biting, convulsions. She got taken to the e.r. where they had a bunch of tests done. Blood work, CAT scan, everything came back normal.

Saw her doctor today, and she's goin in for an EEG on wednesday, but unfortunately a neurologist has to analyze the results and that could take up to two weeks.

HOPEFULLY this is some freak of nature kind of thing. She' 30, in decent health (a little overweight), no prior history of anything like this happening. No family history of epilepsy or anything either. She's not a recovering alcoholic (apparently if you're recovering, your body can have episodes because of some kind of deficiency). She excersises, goes to school full time and has a full time job. She smokes a little ganj, but doesnt smoke cigs.

Kind of a scary deal, but luckily she escaped the incident with some minor bruising and a swollen tounge.

My question is, anybody on here have any kind of seizure problems? Did they just happen one day, and how does it affect your daily life? Anybody ever had anything similar happen?

Not looking for pity here or anything, just kind of curious to see if this is a common occurance. I don't know anyone that has them or HAS had them, so I'm kinda in the dark here.

Anywho, cheers and thanks

cory
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Sucks man. Hope she makes a full recovery.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

The sad truth is, the brain is the most understood of all organs....I am praying that they find the problem and fix it....good luck brother....

I wish i knew more and could help her...sorry man.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
She was at a rodeo this weekend, and said she started feeling light headed. Then apparently she started having trouble computing what people were saying to her, and the next thing she knew, she was waking up inbetween some bleachers with her head on her friends knee.
That damned old rodeo!

Just kidding, man. Hopefully, she just got overheated/dehydrated.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

that sucks. I knew someone that similar type seizure. She was older (mid 40s) and the doctors think it was stroke. But it could also be very bad allergic reaction to something
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Wow that sucks. My sister went to ER last night because she felt funny. Her blood pressure was way up like 190 over 140 something like that.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

HOPEFULLY it was something like dehydration...or the actual rodeo itself hahah. Seriously though, I think the doctors would have been able to tell if it was something that simple? I dunno.

And i REALLY hope it wasn't a stroke, but again, I would think they would have been able to see some kind of repercussion from something like that.

And like you said O&B, the brain is a pretty big mystery, hopefully they figure this **** out someday. Sooner the better of course.

Thanks for all the well wishes, I'll pass them along. (shes a HUGE broncs fan)
Old 07-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
that sucks. I knew someone that similar type seizure. She was older (mid 40s) and the doctors think it was stroke. But it could also be very bad allergic reaction to something
Curious, did they figure out it was a stroke right away?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Make sure they check her potassium level.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Sorry to hear about that. I have an aunt that's mentally handicapped and has seizures almost daily, not the same type situation as your sister. But it can be scary seeing it for the first time.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
Curious, did they figure out it was a stroke right away?
I wasn't really close with her (friend of my mother's), I believe it took a week or so to get the CAT scan back. It was "mini" stroke, since she was fully functional expect for the seizure and some memory loss.

My bet is on a bad heat stroke, if she is healthy. Was she drinking adult beverage in very hot environment?

Because some of symptoms of heat stroke-

* high body temperature
* the absence of sweating, with hot red or flushed dry skin
* rapid pulse
* difficulty breathing
* strange behavior
* hallucinations
* confusion
* agitation
* disorientation
* seizure
* coma

http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_stroke/article.htm

Last edited by elsid13; 07-06-2009 at 05:12 PM..
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I never heard of anything like that, hope she is ok.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Has she been tested for Epilepsy?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Hopefully the MRI and EEG come back normal.

Actually most seizures don't recurr(i.e. don't become lifelong epilepsy), although it is uncommon to have a new onset of seizures at her age. Nonetheless if she is feeling well and otherwise in good health theres no reason to view a seizure disorder as disabling. It may limit her ability to drive or do some other activites but most people with epilespy lead otherwise completely normal lives and seizures can usually be well controlled with medications.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #15
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

where's dr. Bronostein when you need him?
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
where's dr. Bronostein when you need him?
Heh... this is way outside my area of expertise. EEG with strobe and MRI of the brain would be the way I'd work it up... but I'm a surgeon and definetely not a neurologist.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #17
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

That had to have been very scary... hopefully she makes a full recovery and suffers no future symptoms.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #18
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
That had to have been very scary... hopefully she makes a full recovery and suffers no future symptoms.
On an unrelated note, Blueflame, you are looking good!!!

Really sorry to hear about the seizure. Sounds like it could be heat stroke. Fortunately you guys can pry get out in front of it after the diagnosis.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #19
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
On an unrelated note, Blueflame, you are looking good!!!

Really sorry to hear about the seizure. Sounds like it could be heat stroke. Fortunately you guys can pry get out in front of it after the diagnosis.
Why, thank you, Natedogg!
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #20
lander
Just Drafted

Charger fan since 1980

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

My dog recently had her first seizure ever (10 yrs old) and we're pretty sure she was poisoned. In our case it was house plants but maybe your sister ate something or was exposed to something?
lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #21
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

So sorry to hear that ..........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #22
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Thanks for all the info everybody. Not gonna know anything until they get the test results checked (could be 2 to 4 weeks). From what she says, she had a few drinks, and it was pretty hot out...so I'm hoping it was something heat stroke related as mentioned by some of the posters...****ty as that sounds to hope for I'd much rather it be a one time thing than epilepsy, which she is currently being tested for.

anywho, thanks again for the encouragement (which I'll pass along). She's in really good spirits, a little nervous, but takin some time off work and relaxing.

I'm readin up on the whole thing, but every bit of experience/advice helps. My landlord came by and told me about her sister who's epileptic, leads a normal life, etc etc. So that's encouraging.

Updates when I get them

Old 07-07-2009, 05:14 AM   #23
Pootz
Just Drafted

8 years ago I had a focal seziure which made my arm twitch/jerk. It was late at night and I was tired so I just went to sleep on top of it. I woke the next morning feeling fine but as I was interacting with people over the course of the day I noticed my emotions didn't match the conversations I was having. I would laugh like a mad man at knock knock jokes and get pissed at nothing. I decided to call the doctor. By the time I got to see him my speech was deteriorating to garble and I had a gimp in my walk. Over the couple days I noticed I had a hard time feeding myself and I should rely on my legs to do what I wanted them to do. I was pretty much bed bound for two months where I couldn't talk, write, walk or use my motor skills....the whole time I could think straight but my body wouldnt respond. I went through every test they could dream up with no answer. After all the time passing I thought I was gonna stay that way and I saw a bottle of vitamins next to my night stand so I decided I should try to take some. I took three times the dose over a couple days and slowly I was able to regain 70% control of my motor skills.

Long story sorry. I never got an answer but my thoughts are that I was taking 6 courses a semester at college and working two part time jobs and probably not eating the best, so that probably had something to do with it. I was mid twenties and in good shape but stress can take it's toll even when you get used to it.

Watch out for deterioration of motor skills.
Pootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #24
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Inner ear infection maybe?
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #25
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootz View Post
8 years ago I had a focal seziure which made my arm twitch/jerk. It was late at night and I was tired so I just went to sleep on top of it. I woke the next morning feeling fine but as I was interacting with people over the course of the day I noticed my emotions didn't match the conversations I was having. I would laugh like a mad man at knock knock jokes and get pissed at nothing. I decided to call the doctor. By the time I got to see him my speech was deteriorating to garble and I had a gimp in my walk. Over the couple days I noticed I had a hard time feeding myself and I should rely on my legs to do what I wanted them to do. I was pretty much bed bound for two months where I couldn't talk, write, walk or use my motor skills....the whole time I could think straight but my body wouldnt respond. I went through every test they could dream up with no answer. After all the time passing I thought I was gonna stay that way and I saw a bottle of vitamins next to my night stand so I decided I should try to take some. I took three times the dose over a couple days and slowly I was able to regain 70% control of my motor skills.

Long story sorry. I never got an answer but my thoughts are that I was taking 6 courses a semester at college and working two part time jobs and probably not eating the best, so that probably had something to do with it. I was mid twenties and in good shape but stress can take it's toll even when you get used to it.

Watch out for deterioration of motor skills.
holy cow, 7 years later he gets his third post!!
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote