The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default OT: NFL Coaches: Whose Seat is Hottest?

There were 11 head coaching changes amongst the 32 NFL teams since the end of the 2008 season. Although that number is higher than the norm, there will likely be several head coaching changes following the 2009 season. We are going to rank which seats are the hottest amongst the 32 current NFL head coaches.

Win or Else

1.) Wade Phillips, Dallas Cowboys- Phillips’ 2008 Cowboys were one of the biggest underachievers in the NFL last season as a team that was loaded with talent was seemingly torn apart by horrible chemistry. Owner Jerry Jones gave Phillips a pass, but if he doesn’t end the Cowboys now 12-year playoff victory drought in January, he will likely be looking for employment elsewhere.

2.) Jim Zorn, Washington Redskins- Redskins owner Dan Snyder wants to win, but seemingly has no idea how. There were issues last season with Zorn and his players, proving to many that Zorn wasn’t ready to be a head coach. Another last-place finish, which is extremely likely, will probably seal Jim Zorn’s fate.

3.) Tom Cable, Oakland Raiders- Tom Cable became the Raiders head coach almost by default, as there were few qualified candidates that would even take a call from Al Davis. The Raiders have some talent, and their division isn’t the toughest, but we expect the commitment to excrement to continue and Cable to be but a footnote in the long line of Raiders head coaching failures.

4.) Gary Kubiak, Houston Texans- Kubiak’s Texans are yet to achieve their first winning season in franchise history and his 2009 squad is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. The only way he survives another 8-8 finish would be if major injuries occur to the team’s bevy of stars.

5.) Brad Childress, Minnesota Vikings- Childress is another in the situation of “win or go home.” Childress has the game’s best running back and defensive line, and the inevitable signing of Brett Favre makes this a playoff win or bust season.

6.) Josh McDaniels, Denver Broncos- Has any head coach done more damage to a team before he coached a single game? McDaniels alienated Jay Cutler, the best quarterback Denver’s had since John Elway, forcing him to be traded, and will likely send away another Pro Bowler in Brandon Marshall. A nightmare of an offseason will likely turn into a nightmare of a regular season as this team is far from fit to compete.

7.) Norv Turner, San Diego Chargers- Turner’s Chargers are healthy and loaded with talent, and anything less than a division title and playoff run could cost Norv his employment. Remember, this is the team that fired a head coach that went 14-2.

Must Show Improvement

8.) Mike Singletary, San Francisco 49ers- Singletary was a fantastic football player, but he has accomplished very little as a head coach if you don’t count leading the league in pants-dropping halftime speeches. Without anything close to a legitimate quarterback on the roster, it is likely that the 49ers will struggle again.

9.) Dick Jauron, Buffalo Bills- Jauron took a leap of faith in acquiring Terrell Owens and although Owens is usually good for the first year, things could get sideways quickly and Jauron could lose control of his team. The Bills haven’t been in the playoffs this millennium, and if that doesn’t change it could cost Jauron his job.

10.) Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals- Lewis is an engaging personality and his owner, Mike Brown, has stood by him through thick and mostly thin. Lewis however, is entering his seventh season as head coach, all with a franchise quarterback, and has had just one winning season and no playoff victories

Tenuous

11.) Jack Del Rio, Jacksonville Jaguars- Many believe that Jack Del Rio should be higher on this list, and perhaps he deserves to be with his team’s meltdowns in big games, and his yearly battles with veteran stars. That said, Del Rio has had just two losing season in his six-year tenure, and the Jaguars are rebuilding. The economy is poor and it’s doubtful that owner Wayne Weaver will want to pay two head coaches to lead just one mediocre team that struggles to sell tickets.

12.) John Fox, Carolina Panthers- Although Fox has been mostly successful as a head coach, he is yet to lead his team to consecutive playoff appearances, or even consecutive winning seasons. Following a division title in 2008, expectations are high in Charlotte, and if the team falters, Fox could be held responsible.

13.) Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers- Although we feel it was the right move to move on with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, the team’s win-loss record says otherwise. If the Packers struggle again in 2009, general manager Ted Thompson could “C.H.O.A.” by dismissing his head coach.

14.) Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis Colts- Although Jim Caldwell is in his first year as head coach, he takes over a Colts team that has won 12 games for an NFL record six consecutive seasons. Excellence is expected in Indianapolis and an 8-8 season may make Caldwell one-and-done.

15.) Lovie Smith, Chicago Bears- Bears ownership has never seemed enamored with Lovie Smith, even after he led the team to the Super Bowl in 2006. Since that Super Bowl appearance, Chicago hasn’t sniffed the playoffs and if that continues this year, Smith could be out of work.

for the rest.......http://hou.scout.com/2/877271.html

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 07-06-2009 at 12:49 PM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I would say that list isn't really that good.

Must win category:

Wade Philips, Norv Turner, Tom Cable, Brad Childress, Dick Jauron and Lovie Smith.

Philips has to put some wins on the board, there is a limit to how long Jerry is going to accept not having any playoff success, especially with Shanahan and Cowher on the unemployed list. Turner is one 1st round playoff loss from being fired, if he hadn't gotten San Diego to the championship game he would have been out of here already. If you don't win in Oakland you get fired, so Cable is probably going to get fired. Childress has to win, he has a ton of talent on the roster, if they throw a ton of cash at Favre the pressure is going to be on. Jauron has gotten a ton of expensive players to Buffalo, they have to show some return. Smith made a big gamble on Cutler, if it is doesn't pay off, Chicago could be looking at either losing a player they gave up a pair of 1st round picks for or having to sign a QB to one of the biggest contracts in history who is not winning games, either way I don't think either is palatable.

Should probably win:

Jim Zorn, Gary Kubiak, Marvin Lewis, Jack Del Rio.

Zorn gets the benefit of having revamped the way the Redskins do business and being in a super tough division, but anything below 8-8 is probably not enough. Kubiak has taken the Texans from bottomfeeders to playoff outsiders, now he has to make them insiders. Lewis has had a remarkable run of mediocrity in Cincinnati, if he doesn't show some serious results it will be over. Del Rio needs another winning season and playoff appearance or he could be shed as dead weight.

There is no way Mcdaniels is on the hot seat unless the team really tanks (which I believe is the case for any HC), Bowlen showed that he is not going to side against his HC.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

give me a break. do these media retards not learn facts before they report this stupid ****? Cutler is the one who cried his way out of Denver. Marshall is the one who is holding out for more money. There has yet to be a bad situation this season that came about because of McDaniels.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

How many times does it have to be said that Bowlen is not going to pay 3 head coaches at the same time in '10 (Shanahan, McDaniels, and McD's replacement)? It's not happening. For better or worse, McDaniels is going to be this team's coach for a couple of seasons. Anyone putting McDaniels on the hot seat already has no understanding of the financial aspect of another coaching move.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

it still annoys the ****ing hell out of me that people blame McD for doing something EVERY NFL HEAD COACH AND FRONT OFFICE person does. Jay Cutler acted like a ****ing child. Alienating him my ass. Act like a ****ing adult. ****, people are so goddamn dense
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
How many times does it have to be said that Bowlen is not going to pay 3 head coaches at the same time in '10 (Shanahan, McDaniels, and McD's replacement)? It's not happening. For better or worse, McDaniels is going to be this team's coach for a couple of seasons. Anyone putting McDaniels on the hot seat already has no understanding of the financial aspect of another coaching move.
Agreed ... and not just because of money.

We simply have to spot Josh '09. This mess is not entirely his fault, Jay and Brandon are not entirely his fault. And he did step into the worst defensive situation in the league.

We should spot him '09 and maybe 2010 too. Luckily, Pat's temperament will give him some time.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
people are so goddamn dense
Is everyone who disagrees with you "dense"?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Is everyone who disagrees with you "dense"?
No, but dismissing cutler's actions simply as McDaniels' fault is dense. So yes, if people actually think that, they are dense.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Unless McD has this team at least competing every game and probably winning 50% of the time, the national media is going to say he's on the hotseat.

The national media kept claiming Shanny was close to being fired (pre Cutler) for whatever reason and then when it actually happened, the national media was shocked by it.

Point being, unless you've won a SB or two in the last 5 years, as far as the media is concerned, your job is up for grabs.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
There has yet to be a bad situation this season that came about because of McDaniels.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
think about it. he blew up the defense which was necessary. replaced almost the entire staff. his questionable moves were the Cutler situation(which was Jay's fault) the Marshall situation(which is Marshall wanting more money) and switching Leach with Paxton(and that is understandable based on comfort level with players you already know)
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

What about our buddy MCD? Hes on the hottest seat ever. He aint sitn down and his ass is on fire. He could be in the water and his ass would still be on fire
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
What about our buddy MCD? Hes on the hottest seat ever. He aint sitn down and his ass is on fire. He could be in the water and his ass would still be on fire
maybe you can read the article and see his name under hot seat as Josh McDaniel. Maybe you were looking under Satan or any other lame name givien to him by those here at the Mane. I dont see how the author blames him for the BM mess as his beef was way before he even got to town.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
maybe you can read the article and see his name under hot seat as Josh McDaniel. Maybe you were looking under Satan or any other lame name givien to him by those here at the Mane. I dont see how the author blames him for the BM mess as his beef was way before he even got to town.
And so was Cutler's when you get down to where the rubber meets the road. He wanted Bates to stay. Bowlen made no promises about that.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Ha ha...another Cutler thread...adios amigos.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

it amazes me how unimpressive "sports experts" are...

exactly what "damage" is he referring to?...trading Cutler the crybaby?...

we got two 1st rounders and a starting QB outta the deal for crying out loud...that's "damage"?...

every "expert" just piles on to what they hear until that then becomes the majority opinion...it's embarrassing...

if they actually stopped to truly analyze a situation, they might actually come up with an original and informed thought that makes sense...

oh well...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Mcdaniels gets at least 2 yrs, probably 3 before he will be fired. I guess if it was 0-16 then 1-15, then yeah lol. But more likely we get 6-10 then maybe 9-7 and thats enough to get a 3rd yr to see what happens.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
My bad, my bad...I was thinking his name should be #1 on the list.
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I miss Shanny as much as the next fan. I mean we were nothing before Shanny came to Denver. As for Cutler, I won't miss him unless he does really well in Chicago!!!!!!! Or Orton does really, really bad.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Mcdaniels gets at least 2 yrs, probably 3 before he will be fired. I guess if it was 0-16 then 1-15, then yeah lol. But more likely we get 6-10 then maybe 9-7 and thats enough to get a 3rd yr to see what happens.
If we get a new QB next year, I would expect a couple more years. I expect about 4 to 6 year run.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #21
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
No, but dismissing cutler's actions simply as McDaniels' fault is dense. So yes, if people actually think that, they are dense.
It was more Jay than Josh, no doubt about that.

So .... I'm not dense now?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I miss Shanny as much as the next fan. I mean we were nothing before Shanny came to Denver. As for Cutler, I won't miss him unless he does really well in Chicago!!!!!!! Or Orton does really, really bad.
I predict that Chris Simms will be the most popular player in Denver next season.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I predict that Chris Simms will be the most popular player in Denver next season.
I like him already
Old 07-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Major Applewhite was ten times the QB Simms ever could have been.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #25
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Major Applewhite was ten times the QB Simms ever could have been.
The old major isn't our Back-up QB