The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default I am seeding a few Bears games from last season

... So if any of you OM film guys want to see Orton play here you go...

Week 4 Eagles @ Bears
Week 5 Bears @ Lions
Week 6 Bears @ Falcons
Week 7 Vikings @ Bears

Week 14 Jaguars @ Bears
Week 15 Saints @ Bears
Week 17 Bears @ Texans

Orton is a lot better than I thought. Here is what I have came away with so far
  • His RT last year got abused all season long, and the rest of the O-line wasn't much better.
  • His WR's dropped A LOT of catchable balls and struggled to beat 1-on-1 coverage.
  • Because his receivers can't beat 1-on-1 coverage, Orton had to throw the ball away A LOT and that affected his completion percentage
  • The play calling is pretty bad, run run pass punt is the Bears gameplan.
  • Orton is a field general out there. He can figure out what the defense is doing pre-snap and does a good job of getting out of a bad play and audibling into a good one.
  • Orton does a good job of getting the defense to jump offsides, something Jay NEVER did.
  • Orton very rarely makes dumb throws, if it's not open he will throw the ball away instead of forcing a bad throw into triple coverage.
  • Orton isn't very accurate on deep passes down the sideline, a lot of those passes go out of bounds.
  • Don't expect Orton to get out of a sack. He just can't escape DE's like Elway, Plummer, and Cutler could.
  • Orton does have a very good arm, but he doesn't throw darts every play like Jay did. Orton can put some nice touch on passes. He throws a pretty good jump ball to bigger receivers in the redzone.

A lot of you guys could do a better job than me at this, but hey, I tried.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Blah Blah Blah ... reading reading

and the whole time I could care less about the post cause I can't stop thinking who is the child in your av ......
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Blah Blah Blah ... reading reading

and the whole time I could care less about the post cause I can't stop thinking who is the child in your av ......

It's Briana Frost
Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post

It's Briana Frost
Yeah it is... and I don't appreciate you showing semi indecent pics of my gf. I thought I said I'd show you em in private!
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Are we just fooling ourselves? Because I was on the Bears forums not to long ago and they were saying the same thing, that they kept telling themselves that Orton wasnt that bad. I really hope that this is true and he was just in the wrong situation in Chicago.
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
Are we just fooling ourselves? Because I was on the Bears forums not to long ago and they were saying the same thing, that they kept telling themselves that Orton wasnt that bad. I really hope that this is true and he was just in the wrong situation in Chicago.
Well, for what its worth, you know how when Cutler left Broncos fans started picking apart his game to convince themselves he wasn't nearly as good as we thought? Bears fans didn't do that with Orton. My bears fan friends honestly thought this would be the year Orton took it to the next level.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
I hope he is great... but I highly doubt it.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Now they HATE Rex Grossman. I still cant officially understand why, the guy did take them to a super bowl, but they HATE him.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
TheDave
Sauced...

I watched the 1st 5 bears games of 08' season after the trade...

To be honest it is hard to tell how good or bad Orton is with that Offensive line. Possibly the worst Oline I've ever seen. He had less than 2 seconds to get the ball out of his hands before guys were draped all over him. Add to that his receivers were crap, and with the exception of Hesters ability to streak down the sidelines no one seemed to be worth a ****.

What I did see was someone accurate enough with enough arm to get the job done... What I couldn't see:

Can he work within the system to sustain drives?

When the play breaks down can he improvise and make a play?

When our games inevitably turn into a shoot out can he lead an offense that must score 30 to have a chance?

It will be interesting to see how this develops... he doesn't have 1/2 the talent Cutler had, but I think he has enough with the talent around him to get the job done.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Now they HATE Rex Grossman. I still cant officially understand why, the guy did take them to a super bowl, but they HATE him.
a couple of weeks ago, Brian Griese was telling Dave Logan that the fans and media were much tougher to deal with in Chicago than Denver ever was.

I bet the honey moon will be short for ****ler****er in Chi Town
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

From the 2-3 games I watched of Orton starting for the Bears in 2008, he looked solid. Nothing super fantastic, but just a solid, finished QB. Reminded me of a Phil Simms type of QB. Simms was never a flashy QB, he didn't have the biggest arm in the NFL, but he made the throws that counted, and he minimized mistakes.

In the right system Orton has the ability to be a good starting caliber NFL QB. He'll never dazzle you with a big arm or super mobility. But I think he can be an efficient QB that can lead a team on a sustained drive that ends with 7 points on the board.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
No he didn't.....the defense and special teams did.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
NO! According to all around here QB's win and QB's lose. So he took them to the superbowl while draggin the d and special teams with him...

Unless you want to go the blasphemous way and say that football is actually a team sport where the QB's win-loss record is partly due to them and partly due to the talent they have around them. But this cannot be, just ask the OM gods.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
... [*]Orton isn't very accurate on deep passes down the sideline, a lot of those passes go out of bounds.
Well then we won't lose anything here letting Cutler go. His deep ball could be thrown a mile but it was never on the money outside of one deep throw to Walker against AZ and one against CHI to Marshall.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Queue Rev with Orton bashing...
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Orton obviously doesn't have elite athleticism, but any guy who throws 31 TD passes vs. 5 INTs in the Big 10 can't be that bad. My main concern is why his QB rating plummets over the course of the game. Balls hiding in stomach? Bad play calling/poor in-game adjustments?
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
Orton obviously doesn't have elite athleticism, but any guy who throws 31 TD passes vs. 5 INTs in the Big 10 can't be that bad. My main concern is why his QB rating plummets over the course of the game. Balls hiding in stomach? Bad play calling/poor in-game adjustments?
I would venture to guess for the same reasons he doesn't have eye catching stats. The offense in chicago is not designed to score a lot, and the pressure to score increases as a game goes on (especially in a closer game, in which Chi has played quite a few in recent years). This compounds all the issues that chicago has had on offense, from unreliable recievers, to a questionable offensive line.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #18
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
He does seem to disappear for stretches in games. I think it has to do with play calling though. If the Bears had the lead at halftime they spend the entire 3rd Quarter trying to run the ball. When the Bears would open up their offense and allow Orton to throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down their offense could move the chains, but most of the time the playcalling was ... hand off to Forte on 1st down, hand off/ screen to Forte on 2nd down, Shotgun on 3rd down. Very predictable.

I don't think Orton chokes. The Bears were down by six with 2 minutes to go against Atlanta and Orton drove them 80 yards down the field and threw a TD pass with 11 seconds to go. The Bears somehow managed to lose that game though.

Last edited by BMarsh615; 07-06-2009 at 10:30 AM..
Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #19
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
From the 2-3 games I watched of Orton starting for the Bears in 2008, he looked solid. Nothing super fantastic, but just a solid, finished QB. Reminded me of a Phil Simms type of QB. Simms was never a flashy QB, he didn't have the biggest arm in the NFL, but he made the throws that counted, and he minimized mistakes.

In the right system Orton has the ability to be a good starting caliber NFL QB. He'll never dazzle you with a big arm or super mobility. But I think he can be an efficient QB that can lead a team on a sustained drive that ends with 7 points on the board.
I'd be happy with a quarterback who's compared to Phil Simms. We have his son on the roster, but I'm not sure he has the ability daddy had...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Well, for what its worth, you know how when Cutler left Broncos fans started picking apart his game to convince themselves he wasn't nearly as good as we thought? Bears fans didn't do that with Orton. My bears fan friends honestly thought this would be the year Orton took it to the next level.
Nice, well, only time will tell. Im sure the coaches look at the same film and hopefully they know what they are doing. If it really is a timing thing and Orton really did have the worst O-Line to deal with, maybe he will feel much more comfortable here
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #21
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
what the hell are you talking Orton and the Defense and ST took them to the SB?
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #22
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
And Orton ...
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #23
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
And Orton ...
Orton didnt throw one pass in 2006
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #24
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Grossman had several great games that year but he also had a handful of terrible games to. He had more great ones than bad ones that year though.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #25
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I've watched much of Orton and the McDaniels-led Patriots offense and I think Kyle will do a very good job for us.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote