The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default OT: Madden 09 Tips

Ok so I haven't played Madden in years, but my buddy who I used to game with all the time just moved back to town and we're going to have a fantasy draft and run some franchises like the good old days.

My question is, what positions are the most important in Madden these days? Should I get an RB first? Is it more valuable to build from the D line out (like in real life /looks at Shanny), or with shut down corners?
Thanks!
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

I'd wait a month for 10 before investing any time in 09. There's been a lot evidence to suggest that most of the player ratings are essentially meaningless outside of few like speed, throwing arm, etc. The ratings certainly impact when you sim games, but arguably they impact the play.

The franchise mode for 10 has been totally reworked, with real progression (09 only progresses players for two years after their rookie season, so lame) and meaningful ratings.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

DT's are key, and if you run a 4-3 don't bring in 3-4 players and vice versa, so many people do that on madden, and your outbackers either get mulled over or blown up in coverage...... id say if your just simmin them don't forget the lines....... can't have slow corners and get like a 95 plus speed nickel back
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

In my Madden 09, My offensive line is dominant, I also have a good qb (rating 93) a great RB (99) and two solid tightends (90 and 82). For awhile my starting WR's were Marshall and Fitzgerald, but he retired. Defensively my linebackers are not that awesome, my MLB is an 87 overall and the best one, but by defensive line has Ngata and Haynesworth starting at tackle, with Harvey and Dumervil at end. My secondary has a superstar FS (93) average SS (82) and my starting CB's are both 84's. I've won 7 superbowls in a row, so I think I've done what I can. Bad thing is that after a couple of seasons, rookies dont develop, so if they dont have record rookie and sophomore seasons, they stay where they are at.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Safety and corner are your important defense positions. SuperstarWR > Superstar QB too.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
In my Madden 09, My offensive line is dominant, I also have a good qb (rating 93) a great RB (99) and two solid tightends (90 and 82). For awhile my starting WR's were Marshall and Fitzgerald, but he retired. Defensively my linebackers are not that awesome, my MLB is an 87 overall and the best one, but by defensive line has Ngata and Haynesworth starting at tackle, with Harvey and Dumervil at end. My secondary has a superstar FS (93) average SS (82) and my starting CB's are both 84's. I've won 7 superbowls in a row, so I think I've done what I can. Bad thing is that after a couple of seasons, rookies dont develop, so if they dont have record rookie and sophomore seasons, they stay where they are at.

How were you able to get all those guys? did you trade for some of them, i can't imagine you were able to get those players in the draft.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I have a question..what are the offensive and defensive plays that always work.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Punisher
® Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got? ®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Denver Broncos 70
http://www.pastapadre.com/8834/madde...player-ratings

Madden 10 ratings
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I would say you want a really strong offensive line, really good cornerbacks, a good MLB (can negate most top runningbacks) as well as some good runstuffing DTs to keep your LBs free to move.

On offense, having 1 good big target (either WR or TE) is optimal, I find that with Brandon Marshall I am pretty much always go his way when I am trouble since he can go higher for a ball than most defenders.

Positions you can pretty much overlook: 2nd WR, FB, both safeties (if you have good cornerbacks), SLB, RE (since the LT is often the best offensive lineman, just get a big guy who won't get blown up on run plays), RB, TE og 1. WR.

I find that with a good OL you can insert any RB and get good yards, especially if you have a decent grasp of when to run to which side and once you have identified which run plays work for you, I find that counter plays are often extremely good since they negate the defensive line and let you take on linebackers straight up which you can either win on speed with a fast RB or on power and moves with a bigger guy.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Oh, the LE is an underrated position for pass rushing, most RTs are bigger slower run blockers so if you have a really fast LE you can often go wide on the pass rush or go wide and then cut back with a spin move or rip move, I always play the LE on defense and typically get 12-15 sacks per season with that player, I also prefer to use SLB blitzes and DB blitzes from that side because I can move the tackle wide and open a blitzing lane between tackle and guard (I play a very vanilla 4-3 most of the time).
Old 07-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys, just what I was looking for!

I'm gonna pwn him so bad
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
Haroldthebarrel
Seasoned Veteran

A few tips in Madden 09:

Speed kills!

The game is based favorly on coverage so you wont get that many (nano) blitzes.
The contain on the qb is horrible so you better manually set your ends to play contain as almost all players scramble to one side and wait for somebody to open. In zone no players break contain unless the qb passes the line of scrimmage, which will give any players who scrambles all day to pass. This only applies if you play another human.

There is a delay of up to half a second for the player to react from the time you press a button so press it a little sooner than you think.

People say it is hard to run, but it is easy with stretches especially if you take control of a blocker then you usually get a pancake or two.
Especially if you have a quick rb.

The AI imho is lacking so using a man in motion to see zone/man is deadly.
Some plays to me are like 70-80% tds if I know if the other team is in man or zone.

Learn to usercatch and you can bomb all day if you have a speedy(97+) receiver as you just speed past the cb.

It sucks playing franchise because you get roboqb as soon as you get some skills.
Haroldthebarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroldthebarrel View Post
A few tips in Madden 09:

Speed kills!

The game is based favorly on coverage so you wont get that many (nano) blitzes.
The contain on the qb is horrible so you better manually set your ends to play contain as almost all players scramble to one side and wait for somebody to open. In zone no players break contain unless the qb passes the line of scrimmage, which will give any players who scrambles all day to pass. This only applies if you play another human.

There is a delay of up to half a second for the player to react from the time you press a button so press it a little sooner than you think.

People say it is hard to run, but it is easy with stretches especially if you take control of a blocker then you usually get a pancake or two.
Especially if you have a quick rb.

The AI imho is lacking so using a man in motion to see zone/man is deadly.
Some plays to me are like 70-80% tds if I know if the other team is in man or zone.

Learn to usercatch and you can bomb all day if you have a speedy(97+) receiver as you just speed past the cb.

It sucks playing franchise because you get roboqb as soon as you get some skills.
Running is easy if you run stretches and counters. Most CBs are useless in breaking a block or they just take off down field with the WR, a pulling G or T can easily knock over an OLB and your FB should be able to open the hole by taking the S out of the play. Just don't outrun the FB, it happens a lot if you have a really fast RB.

For KR, I find that returning with a backup RB is better than having someone like Devin Hester since you end up outrunning the coverage so easily with a fast returner, while a slower guy allows the blocks to set up nicely.

DB blitzes are spectacularly against slower players, if your opponent likes to set up deep passes or double moves or play action, send a CB in a blitz and take control so you can run around the tackle and just level the QB. You can easily get a nickel or dime back with 10+ sacks per season. (that boosts their stats stupidly, if you have some young nickel and dime backs you can end up boosting them well past 90 overall after a year or two.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
Haroldthebarrel
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Running is easy if you run stretches and counters. Most CBs are useless in breaking a block or they just take off down field with the WR, a pulling G or T can easily knock over an OLB and your FB should be able to open the hole by taking the S out of the play. Just don't outrun the FB, it happens a lot if you have a really fast RB.

For KR, I find that returning with a backup RB is better than having someone like Devin Hester since you end up outrunning the coverage so easily with a fast returner, while a slower guy allows the blocks to set up nicely.

DB blitzes are spectacularly against slower players, if your opponent likes to set up deep passes or double moves or play action, send a CB in a blitz and take control so you can run around the tackle and just level the QB. You can easily get a nickel or dime back with 10+ sacks per season. (that boosts their stats stupidly, if you have some young nickel and dime backs you can end up boosting them well past 90 overall after a year or two.
Actually I think the opposite as far as returners go. Take one very fast, follow your blockers and press the animation he is best at and I have had several tds playing the cpu at hardest level.
As you said earlier, so many players outrun their blocking and thus sucks.

I also like secondary blitzes. Particularly the ss blitz in the bear 46.
Though I get the roboqb who uses like 0.5 seconds to always find a man.
ARRRRGH
Its a lot more effective against any human players though. Unless they find out what you are doing
As far as blitzes is concerned. Even with roboqb I have gotten 39 sacks in a season on an end or lb who I trained up to 99 in speed.

Do you also play a lot of Denver singleback?
There are so many awesome plays in that set.
I just dont understand why you cannot make your playbook in that game.
The ten yards out are useless as the receiver just runs out of bounds every time.
Honestly, there are many things about that game that just is not up to par.
Haroldthebarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
How were you able to get all those guys? did you trade for some of them, i can't imagine you were able to get those players in the draft.

Free agency. In my game its 2017. My secondary was all draft picks, as were my linebackers, but I cant draft good defensive linemen to save my life. So In the same FA period MArcus Stroud and Albert Haynesworth were free agents, so I signed them both. When Stroud retired, I signed Ngata. Expensive, but worth it.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #16
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroldthebarrel View Post
Actually I think the opposite as far as returners go. Take one very fast, follow your blockers and press the animation he is best at and I have had several tds playing the cpu at hardest level.
As you said earlier, so many players outrun their blocking and thus sucks.

I also like secondary blitzes. Particularly the ss blitz in the bear 46.
Though I get the roboqb who uses like 0.5 seconds to always find a man.
ARRRRGH
Its a lot more effective against any human players though. Unless they find out what you are doing
As far as blitzes is concerned. Even with roboqb I have gotten 39 sacks in a season on an end or lb who I trained up to 99 in speed.

Do you also play a lot of Denver singleback?
There are so many awesome plays in that set.
I just dont understand why you cannot make your playbook in that game.
The ten yards out are useless as the receiver just runs out of bounds every time.
Honestly, there are many things about that game that just is not up to par.
Slant out with Tony Scheffler with WR stacked left in Strong I is amazing though. Unless they run Zone and the corner is out there its at least 10 yards every time. If they have a corner out there I run it up the gut with Hillis.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #17
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Slant out with Tony Scheffler with WR stacked left in Strong I is amazing though. Unless they run Zone and the corner is out there its at least 10 yards every time. If they have a corner out there I run it up the gut with Hillis.

I've converted Hillis to HB and in my game, he is the NFL career rushing and TD leader. He had a 3,025 yard, 57 TD season in 2014.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Hit the tight end on the out route. Rinse, repeat.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #19
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

I've experienced some weird stuff with draftees. I'll spend a 6th round pick on a tight end, he'll be #3 on the depth chart for 3 years and the next year he'll suddenly be a 91 overall.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Madden is all a bout a QB with good mobility (aka at least 70 speed). You can turn plays where all your receivers are covered into first downs via running for it, etc. The game is all about the QB in general too. I can win games without running the ball once, granted I always run it. When I get an RB I make sure it has the highest top-end speed possible, so much so that when an RB gets old I will convert a young WR with 99 speed over to RB... in a few years due his carrying ability will go up on it's own and he won't fumble much if at all anymore. I got 3K yards rushing on All-Madden one year with a converted WR on his 3rd year in the league.

As for defense... I just focus on speed everywhere. Madden is a game where the Oakland strategy for building a team works extremely well. The game is all about speed. My LB's are anywhere from 85-89 speed... CB's are 98-99. Safety's are 95-99. DE's are in the late 70's to the late 80's. However for DB always try to get a super fast dude with GREAT CATCHING. I got 6 INT's in a game in All-Madden with a CB of mine who has 98 speed and 82 catching. I traded Daniel Graham to get him ... oh and go for tall/fast TE's as well. My main TE is always a solid blocker with good speed buy my 2nd TE is often a converted tall WR (think Shannon Sharpe) who tears stuff up. My two main WR's are always 6'4 + with insane speed (sometimes 6'3). My slot WR tends to be smaller... height I don't care about. Eddie Royal is my current slot and the slowest of my reveivers at 97 speed. Anyway yeah... if you want to own on Madden, it's all about speed and a great QB. It gets to the point where you just have to run a few plays and then you do a playaction pass where you audible a reciever to go on a dart to the end-zone... almost always a TD since the CB can't catch up in time due to being fooled for a second and the speed of your reciever to go with the power and accuracy of your great QB.

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 07-10-2009 at 02:26 PM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #21
Majik
Man7

On Wisconsin

OT: but i didnt want to start a new thread just for it.

So with the new online franchise mode with up to 32 human controlled teams, coming to Madden 10, are we going to have a Mane xbox live league? If so sign me up.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #22
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
OT: but i didnt want to start a new thread just for it.

So with the new online franchise mode with up to 32 human controlled teams, coming to Madden 10, are we going to have a Mane xbox live league? If so sign me up.
Ok, get that one to work.... 32 broncos teams? lol
Old 07-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #23
Majik
Man7

On Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Ok, get that one to work.... 32 broncos teams? lol
I bet kyle orton leads the league in passing.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote