The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default '77

Anyone else read this book?



A pretty decent read. Its not just about the team but about the city itself as a whole. It coulda had more info about the Broncos and their schedule that year, and less about Lamm's politics, IMHO, but its still a nice time warp to a different team. I would definitely recommend it for all Broncomaniacs out there.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

I have never even heard of it.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
titan
Ring of Famer
 
titan's Avatar
 
Fan of Old School Football

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

One of the best bronco books I've ever read. I was in the south stands for most of the home games that year (included the 2 playoff games) and the book does a good job of capturing the magic of that season. The background info on many of the players was also interesting.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
sreggin setah nagoh
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Woody Paige's "Orange Madness" is another one to check out if you can find it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
One of the best bronco books I've ever read. I was in the south stands for most of the home games that year (included the 2 playoff games) and the book does a good job of capturing the magic of that season. The background info on many of the players was also interesting.
Ya, no doubt. After reading it, one realizes how damn spoiled these modern athletes are compared to players from just 30 years ago. Also, how much the modern guys owe to the previous players. A lot of those took some tough routes to the NFL.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
vancejohnson82
Shabby
 
vancejohnson82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Posts: 6,104

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default

I'm almost halfway through this book....its great

I was surprised that it had so much about the city in there, and that is actually becoming one of my favorites parts of readign this....

i also like the stories about the players.....

its also interesting because Red MIller came over from hte Patriots and that he would reference his time with them when talking about his plans for the Broncos...kind of like the current status of our guys
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
titan
Ring of Famer
 
titan's Avatar
 
Fan of Old School Football

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
its also interesting because Red MIller came over from hte Patriots and that he would reference his time with them when talking about his plans for the Broncos...kind of like the current status of our guys
And while I don't remember it being mentioned in '77, Bill Belichick was a young assistant to Joe Collier that year. Belichick learned alot from Collier that he used later in his coaching career. Interesting to see the links between the Broncos and Patriots over time.

Last edited by titan; 07-06-2009 at 09:56 AM..
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
vancejohnson82
Shabby
 
vancejohnson82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Posts: 6,104

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
And while I don't remember it being mentioned in '77, Bill Belichick was a young assistant to Joel Collier that year. Belichick learned alot from Collier that he used later in his coaching career. Interesting to see the links between the Broncos and Patriots over time.
Really? Wow, I dont think I read that yet in the book, either that or I just flat out missed it.

When you go through the beginning of the book its amazing how many of the names kept popping up over and over again...it was like coaches were moving every single year....Red Miller was all over the place in the beginning of that book
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
titan
Ring of Famer
 
titan's Avatar
 
Fan of Old School Football

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

What I remember most from 77 was standing in the South Stands at my seat in the south stands (sec CC, row 39) at the end of the AFC Championship win over the Raiders. I heard on my portable radio long time Bronco play by play man Bob Martin shouting "the Miracle has happened ... the Broncos are going to the Super Bowl!!!!" Players and fans stormed the field. It was pandemonium. The goal posts soon came down and I touched a piece as it was passed up the South Stands.

I've been to many big denver sports events over the years (eric young homer on rockies opening day, avs beat the devils for the Stanley Cup, etc) but nothing will ever top that day for me.
.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
vancejohnson82
Shabby
 
vancejohnson82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Posts: 6,104

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
What I remember most from 77 was standing in the South Stands at my seat in the south stands (sec CC, row 39) at the end of the AFC Championship win over the Raiders. I heard on my portable radio long time Bronco play by play man Bob Martin shouting "the Miracle has happened ... the Broncos are going to the Super Bowl!!!!" Players and fans stormed the field. It was pandemonium. The goal posts soon came down and I touched a piece as it was passed up the South Stands.

I've been to many big denver sports events over the years (eric young homer on rockies opening day, avs beat the devils for the Stanley Cup, etc) but nothing will ever top that day for me.
.

wow...thats awesome....now the fans at Invesco yell at you for standing on 3rd downs
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
titan
Ring of Famer
 
titan's Avatar
 
Fan of Old School Football

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
Really? Wow, I dont think I read that yet in the book, either that or I just flat out missed it.
Looks like I was off 1 year - Belichick was on the Broncos staff but not until 1978:

"In 1978, Denver Broncos Head Coach Red Miller hired Belichick as the assistant special teams coach and assistant to defensive coordinator Joe Collier."

from Belichick's bio on the New England site:

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.c...yerbio&bio=506
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Speaking of Pats/Broncos, which one of the RBs was childhood friends with Daryl Stingley? Thats a small, small world.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
titan
Ring of Famer
 
titan's Avatar
 
Fan of Old School Football

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Speaking of Pats/Broncos, which one of the RBs was childhood friends with Daryl Stingley? Thats a small, small world.
Otis Armstrong
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,983

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Anyone else read this book?



A pretty decent read. Its not just about the team but about the city itself as a whole. It coulda had more info about the Broncos and their schedule that year, and less about Lamm's politics, IMHO, but its still a nice time warp to a different team. I would definitely recommend it for all Broncomaniacs out there.
You beat me to it!

I just ordered it, used, off Barnes and noble with a gift cert from my Birthday.

I am hoping it will be on my doorstep any day now.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,944

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

I heard it's a great book. I haven't read it yet, but friend will loan me his when he is done reading it.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
You beat me to it!

I just ordered it, used, off Barnes and noble with a gift cert from my Birthday.

I am hoping it will be on my doorstep any day now.
At least you were smart enough to buy it used.

I gave it to my 14 year old son. I want him to read it, esp the parts about the players and how hard they worked to succeed.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,983

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
At least you were smart enough to buy it used.

I gave it to my 14 year old son. I want him to read it, esp the parts about the players and how hard they worked to succeed.
It cost $1 more than the shipping.

I have been doing that alot lately. I have yet to be burned by a bad book.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,983

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

The book arrived in the mail today.

Just so you know Loborugger it is mint hardback signed by Frei! I paid $4.99 + 3.99 to ship.

I got lucky!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:15 AM   #19
The Moops
Old School Dude
 
The Moops's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 1,113

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I would love to read that book . . . on my list. Maybe my 1-year-old will go to bed early one night and give me a few hours break!

Wish they had put a better photo of Morton on the cover. That facemask is from the 1980 - 1982 seasons. Stupid looking.

At any rate, I have SO many memories of that season. That 73-yard interception for TD against Baltimore at Mile High by Tommy Jackson that gave the Broncos 10 wins. Or Jim Turner catching that TD pass from Norris Weese on that fake field goal at Oakland where Stabler tossed 7 interceptions. And of course those 2 awesome playoff victories at Mile High. TJ again having a big game against the Steelers and Haven Moses's huge game against Raiders.

Just wished 44 had played long enough to be on that team. Lyle Alzado once said if Floyd had played in that Super Bowl he would have willed the team to victory . . .
The Moops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #20
B-Love
Ring of Famer
 
They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moops View Post
I would love to read that book . . . on my list. Maybe my 1-year-old will go to bed early one night and give me a few hours break!

Wish they had put a better photo of Morton on the cover. That facemask is from the 1980 - 1982 seasons. Stupid looking.

At any rate, I have SO many memories of that season. That 73-yard interception for TD against Baltimore at Mile High by Tommy Jackson that gave the Broncos 10 wins. Or Jim Turner catching that TD pass from Norris Weese on that fake field goal at Oakland where Stabler tossed 7 interceptions. And of course those 2 awesome playoff victories at Mile High. TJ again having a big game against the Steelers and Haven Moses's huge game against Raiders.

Just wished 44 had played long enough to be on that team. Lyle Alzado once said if Floyd had played in that Super Bowl he would have willed the team to victory . . .
Classic that you caught that Moops in regards to Morton's facemask. I posted that a while back when the book first came out too. They only wore that in 1980, by 81 he was back to his regular look. The one year Rod Dowhower mask look.

Haven Moses' photo is not from 1977 or even close either. His is probably from 1980 or 81 also. In 1977, he had his sleeves cut very unique right up to the striping on the sleeves, and the jersey numbers were a little longer in 1977.

You and I probably look foolish for being so critical of book cover photos, but if you're gonna write a book about 77, then make the photos authentic!!
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #21
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
The book arrived in the mail today.

Just so you know Loborugger it is mint hardback signed by Frei! I paid $4.99 + 3.99 to ship.

I got lucky!
You suck!
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #22
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Love View Post
Classic that you caught that Moops in regards to Morton's facemask. I posted that a while back when the book first came out too. They only wore that in 1980, by 81 he was back to his regular look. The one year Rod Dowhower mask look.

Haven Moses' photo is not from 1977 or even close either. His is probably from 1980 or 81 also. In 1977, he had his sleeves cut very unique right up to the striping on the sleeves, and the jersey numbers were a little longer in 1977.

You and I probably look foolish for being so critical of book cover photos, but if you're gonna write a book about 77, then make the photos authentic!!
Wow. See, I was only 6 and then 7 for that season. So I remember the excitement but certainly not the details like that. Good stuff.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #23
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moops View Post
Or Jim Turner catching that TD pass from Norris Weese on that fake field goal at Oakland where Stabler tossed 7 interceptions.
This is one of my all time fave memories as well.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,983

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
You suck!
That's Ok,

It doesn't compare to my signed copy of Floyd's book.

I think even a signed copy of "Failure is not an option" would be a distant Second to Floyd's book.

I am eternally greatfull to Tom!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,983

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

LOBO,

This has to be the best Bronco Book I have ever read.

I love the fact that Frei was young during that season and highlighted everything that was going on in the city at the time.

We moved to Michigan in March of '77 so I missed the SB run but the fever was there when I was hooked as a 6 year old in '73.

If you don't have this book it is a MUST READ if you are a Bronco fan if you call yourself a Bronco fan.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Denver Broncos