The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default '77

Anyone else read this book?

A pretty decent read. Its not just about the team but about the city itself as a whole. It coulda had more info about the Broncos and their schedule that year, and less about Lamm's politics, IMHO, but its still a nice time warp to a different team. I would definitely recommend it for all Broncomaniacs out there.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

I have never even heard of it.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

One of the best bronco books I've ever read. I was in the south stands for most of the home games that year (included the 2 playoff games) and the book does a good job of capturing the magic of that season. The background info on many of the players was also interesting.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
sreggin setah nagoh

Woody Paige's "Orange Madness" is another one to check out if you can find it.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
loborugger
lost in the ether

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
One of the best bronco books I've ever read. I was in the south stands for most of the home games that year (included the 2 playoff games) and the book does a good job of capturing the magic of that season. The background info on many of the players was also interesting.
Ya, no doubt. After reading it, one realizes how damn spoiled these modern athletes are compared to players from just 30 years ago. Also, how much the modern guys owe to the previous players. A lot of those took some tough routes to the NFL.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

I'm almost halfway through this book....its great

I was surprised that it had so much about the city in there, and that is actually becoming one of my favorites parts of readign this....

i also like the stories about the players.....

its also interesting because Red MIller came over from hte Patriots and that he would reference his time with them when talking about his plans for the Broncos...kind of like the current status of our guys
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
titan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
its also interesting because Red MIller came over from hte Patriots and that he would reference his time with them when talking about his plans for the Broncos...kind of like the current status of our guys
And while I don't remember it being mentioned in '77, Bill Belichick was a young assistant to Joe Collier that year. Belichick learned alot from Collier that he used later in his coaching career. Interesting to see the links between the Broncos and Patriots over time.

Last edited by titan; 07-06-2009 at 09:56 AM..
Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
And while I don't remember it being mentioned in '77, Bill Belichick was a young assistant to Joel Collier that year. Belichick learned alot from Collier that he used later in his coaching career. Interesting to see the links between the Broncos and Patriots over time.
Really? Wow, I dont think I read that yet in the book, either that or I just flat out missed it.

When you go through the beginning of the book its amazing how many of the names kept popping up over and over again...it was like coaches were moving every single year....Red Miller was all over the place in the beginning of that book
Old 07-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
titan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What I remember most from 77 was standing in the South Stands at my seat in the south stands (sec CC, row 39) at the end of the AFC Championship win over the Raiders. I heard on my portable radio long time Bronco play by play man Bob Martin shouting "the Miracle has happened ... the Broncos are going to the Super Bowl!!!!" Players and fans stormed the field. It was pandemonium. The goal posts soon came down and I touched a piece as it was passed up the South Stands.

I've been to many big denver sports events over the years (eric young homer on rockies opening day, avs beat the devils for the Stanley Cup, etc) but nothing will ever top that day for me.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
What I remember most from 77 was standing in the South Stands at my seat in the south stands (sec CC, row 39) at the end of the AFC Championship win over the Raiders. I heard on my portable radio long time Bronco play by play man Bob Martin shouting "the Miracle has happened ... the Broncos are going to the Super Bowl!!!!" Players and fans stormed the field. It was pandemonium. The goal posts soon came down and I touched a piece as it was passed up the South Stands.

I've been to many big denver sports events over the years (eric young homer on rockies opening day, avs beat the devils for the Stanley Cup, etc) but nothing will ever top that day for me.

wow...thats awesome....now the fans at Invesco yell at you for standing on 3rd downs
Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
titan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
Really? Wow, I dont think I read that yet in the book, either that or I just flat out missed it.
Looks like I was off 1 year - Belichick was on the Broncos staff but not until 1978:

"In 1978, Denver Broncos Head Coach Red Miller hired Belichick as the assistant special teams coach and assistant to defensive coordinator Joe Collier."

from Belichick's bio on the New England site:

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.c...yerbio&bio=506
Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
loborugger
lost in the ether

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Speaking of Pats/Broncos, which one of the RBs was childhood friends with Daryl Stingley? Thats a small, small world.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
titan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Speaking of Pats/Broncos, which one of the RBs was childhood friends with Daryl Stingley? Thats a small, small world.
Otis Armstrong
Old 07-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Anyone else read this book?

A pretty decent read. Its not just about the team but about the city itself as a whole. It coulda had more info about the Broncos and their schedule that year, and less about Lamm's politics, IMHO, but its still a nice time warp to a different team. I would definitely recommend it for all Broncomaniacs out there.
You beat me to it!

I just ordered it, used, off Barnes and noble with a gift cert from my Birthday.

I am hoping it will be on my doorstep any day now.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

I heard it's a great book. I haven't read it yet, but friend will loan me his when he is done reading it.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
loborugger
lost in the ether

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
You beat me to it!

I just ordered it, used, off Barnes and noble with a gift cert from my Birthday.

I am hoping it will be on my doorstep any day now.
At least you were smart enough to buy it used.

I gave it to my 14 year old son. I want him to read it, esp the parts about the players and how hard they worked to succeed.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
At least you were smart enough to buy it used.

I gave it to my 14 year old son. I want him to read it, esp the parts about the players and how hard they worked to succeed.
It cost $1 more than the shipping.

I have been doing that alot lately. I have yet to be burned by a bad book.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

The book arrived in the mail today.

Just so you know Loborugger it is mint hardback signed by Frei! I paid $4.99 + 3.99 to ship.

I got lucky!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:15 AM   #19
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would love to read that book . . . on my list. Maybe my 1-year-old will go to bed early one night and give me a few hours break!

Wish they had put a better photo of Morton on the cover. That facemask is from the 1980 - 1982 seasons. Stupid looking.

At any rate, I have SO many memories of that season. That 73-yard interception for TD against Baltimore at Mile High by Tommy Jackson that gave the Broncos 10 wins. Or Jim Turner catching that TD pass from Norris Weese on that fake field goal at Oakland where Stabler tossed 7 interceptions. And of course those 2 awesome playoff victories at Mile High. TJ again having a big game against the Steelers and Haven Moses's huge game against Raiders.

Just wished 44 had played long enough to be on that team. Lyle Alzado once said if Floyd had played in that Super Bowl he would have willed the team to victory . . .
The Moops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #20
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moops View Post
I would love to read that book . . . on my list. Maybe my 1-year-old will go to bed early one night and give me a few hours break!

Wish they had put a better photo of Morton on the cover. That facemask is from the 1980 - 1982 seasons. Stupid looking.

At any rate, I have SO many memories of that season. That 73-yard interception for TD against Baltimore at Mile High by Tommy Jackson that gave the Broncos 10 wins. Or Jim Turner catching that TD pass from Norris Weese on that fake field goal at Oakland where Stabler tossed 7 interceptions. And of course those 2 awesome playoff victories at Mile High. TJ again having a big game against the Steelers and Haven Moses's huge game against Raiders.

Just wished 44 had played long enough to be on that team. Lyle Alzado once said if Floyd had played in that Super Bowl he would have willed the team to victory . . .
Classic that you caught that Moops in regards to Morton's facemask. I posted that a while back when the book first came out too. They only wore that in 1980, by 81 he was back to his regular look. The one year Rod Dowhower mask look.

Haven Moses' photo is not from 1977 or even close either. His is probably from 1980 or 81 also. In 1977, he had his sleeves cut very unique right up to the striping on the sleeves, and the jersey numbers were a little longer in 1977.

You and I probably look foolish for being so critical of book cover photos, but if you're gonna write a book about 77, then make the photos authentic!!
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #21
loborugger
lost in the ether

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
The book arrived in the mail today.

Just so you know Loborugger it is mint hardback signed by Frei! I paid $4.99 + 3.99 to ship.

I got lucky!
You suck!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #22
loborugger
lost in the ether

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Love View Post
Classic that you caught that Moops in regards to Morton's facemask. I posted that a while back when the book first came out too. They only wore that in 1980, by 81 he was back to his regular look. The one year Rod Dowhower mask look.

Haven Moses' photo is not from 1977 or even close either. His is probably from 1980 or 81 also. In 1977, he had his sleeves cut very unique right up to the striping on the sleeves, and the jersey numbers were a little longer in 1977.

You and I probably look foolish for being so critical of book cover photos, but if you're gonna write a book about 77, then make the photos authentic!!
Wow. See, I was only 6 and then 7 for that season. So I remember the excitement but certainly not the details like that. Good stuff.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #23
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moops View Post
Or Jim Turner catching that TD pass from Norris Weese on that fake field goal at Oakland where Stabler tossed 7 interceptions.
This is one of my all time fave memories as well.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
You suck!
That's Ok,

It doesn't compare to my signed copy of Floyd's book.

I think even a signed copy of "Failure is not an option" would be a distant Second to Floyd's book.

I am eternally greatfull to Tom!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

LOBO,

This has to be the best Bronco Book I have ever read.

I love the fact that Frei was young during that season and highlighted everything that was going on in the city at the time.

We moved to Michigan in March of '77 so I missed the SB run but the fever was there when I was hooked as a 6 year old in '73.

If you don't have this book it is a MUST READ if you are a Bronco fan if you call yourself a Bronco fan.