The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Do you pump iron ???

I know more then half the mane will say yes but we know that's BS. Wanted to run a few questions by to get some opinions. I started back up weight lifting after 6 years of not doing jack (I know, how frickin lame). Obviously supplements change. What's the new good stuff out there?

I'm taking 120g of protein a day, is that enough?

Staying away from prohormones. Going with Creatin (a newer kind that is pH balanced and there is no loading times and no bloating).

I would like to speed up some fat burning though. Somebody told me about a burner called Venom. Any thoughts on that?

Now for the pumping iron talk. I don't believe half the articles I read on the web. I'd like to get some of your routines and see what you do. I always kinda felt like I over-trained when I did this last. Giving muscles only 1 day to rest in between workouts. So what's your routine?
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Obligatory 12 ounce curls answer
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I know more then half the mane will say yes but we know that's BS. Wanted to run a few questions by to get some opinions. I started back up weight lifting after 6 years of not doing jack (I know, how frickin lame). Obviously supplements change. What's the new good stuff out there?

Staying away from prohormones. Going with Creatin (a newer kind that is pH balanced and there is no loading times and no bloating).

I would like to speed up some fat burning though. Somebody told me about a burner called Venom. Any thoughts on that?

Now for the pumping iron talk. I don't believe half the articles I read on the web. I'd like to get some of your routines and see what you do. I always kinda felt like I over-trained when I did this last. Giving muscles only 1 day to rest in between workouts. So what's your routine?
stick with the tried and tested normal creatine, its proven, the new stuff is not. however, there is a lot of research showing that if you add in beta alanine, its effects are compounded. 2-3g of BA a day, 4-5g of CM a day will be good.

fat burners arent much more than caffeine, look into a caffeine pill or energy drink, though i have heard a lot about hot rox, but since you are just starting again, you dont need all the supplements. there is science to show that lifting on caffeine increases focus and ability to lift.

lift heavy, compound movements. hundreds of sets does not make your body grow. go to www.t-nation.com and read as much as you can. start with 3 days a week, full body routine for 6-8 weeks, then transition to something else that suits what you want to do. as far as the protein, it depends on your bodyweight but 120g per day will be enough for most people.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
stick with the tried and tested normal creatine, its proven, the new stuff is not. however, there is a lot of research showing that if you add in beta alanine, its effects are compounded. 2-3g of BA a day, 4-5g of CM a day will be good.

fat burners arent much more than caffeine, look into a caffeine pill or energy drink, though i have heard a lot about hot rox, but since you are just starting again, you dont need all the supplements. there is science to show that lifting on caffeine increases focus and ability to lift.

lift heavy, compound movements. hundreds of sets does not make your body grow. go to www.t-nation.com and read as much as you can. start with 3 days a week, full body routine for 6-8 weeks, then transition to something else that suits what you want to do. as far as the protein, it depends on your bodyweight but 120g per day will be enough for most people.
So do you slam a coffee or caffeine drink before going to the gym? As for the Creatine, dude, you have to try this stuff I am taking. I took traditional Creatine for the longest time. It worked, but way too many side effects (cramps, bloating) and I hated taking it.

This stuff is working just as well as the old creatine I took but I don't have any side effects at all. No loading, no bloating, cramps, nothing.

Kre Alkalyn 1500

Read this - actually goes into details on how it's made and why it works.

Kre Alkalyn Creatine Review

Kre Alkalyn creatine has been on the market for awhile now. Although many have probably tried this new form of creatine, many more probably still have not. I was originally introduced to Scifit's Kre Alkalyn 1500 creatine caps by my contact at Sci-Fit - of course I've heard of kre alkalyn creatine long before that time, however, I was skeptical, and didn't pay much attention to it.

At that time, how could I believe such claims that:

* Taking 1g of Kre Alkalyn creatine is equivalent of taking 10g of normal creatine, and
* Kre Alkalyn creatine is stable in water because its PH buffered!

I didn't believe these claims, and didn't bother to. My initial thoughts were "just some new marketing scam... etc." I remember some representative of Kre Alkalyn (not sure if this person was from a licensed company, or from the direct manufacturer) that came on our chat boards promoting Kre Alkalyn creatine - boy, did he get a face full of dirt. =)

Long story short, I was convinced to give KreAlkalyn Creatine a shot, and after that, I really had to change my views on this new type of creatine.

What is KreAlkalyn Creatine?
Kre Alkalyn was discovered by Jeff Golini, who also discovered Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate (AAKG), a nitric oxide amplifying agent. Jeff introduced a new product testing technology called NIR (near infrared analysis), which is now heavily used in the pharmaceutical and supplement industry. Kre Alkalyn Creatine was discovered while doing routine purity and stability tests on creatine using NIR. Kre Alkalyn was eventually awarded US patent #6,399,661.

The research provided to receive this patent had shown that creatine's speed of conversion to creatinine is related to the pH of the liquid used for mixing - I'm sure most of us know that creatine breaks down to creatinine when mixed in liquid, which is a useless compound. The research demonstrated that the lower the pH, the faster creatine converts to creatinine, and it also found that conversion rate to creatinine slows as the pH of the creatine itself is raised above 7. At a pH of 12, creatine stops converting to creatinine.

So essentially, Kre Alkalyn Creatine is a pH buffered creatine with a pH above 12. As a result, it remains stable when mixed with liquid. What significance does this have for bodybuilding? With a buffered pH, the Kre Alkalyn creatine we consume remains completely stable and reaches muscle cells at full strength.

Kre Alkalyn Creatine Side Effects & Benefits

With the above said, there are some key benefits of Kre Alkalyn Creatine. With a pH buffered creatine:

* You only need to take very small amounts - 1 to 3 grams per day is plenty
* You will notice the same types of results as normal creatine (if not better).
* Some individuals tend to get bloated with creatine monohydrate, but with Kre Alkalyn, there's no bloating. While I can't vouch for this since I don't bloat with regular creatine, but I've had many users tell me that they don't bloat with Kre Alkalyn creatine.
* Some individuals also tend to get upset stomach with regular creatine, but with Kre Alkalyn creatine, that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

My Experience with SciFit Kre Alkalyn 1500

Like I said above, I was skeptical about KreAlkalyn at start, but was convinced to give it a shot by my contact at Sci-Fit. He told me it was a very new product at SciFit, that it works, that I only need to take very small amounts, and yadiyadiyada... So, I ordered 2 bottles of Sci-Fit Kre Alkalyn 1500.

Each bottle of Kre Alkalyn 1500 has 120 caps, and the bottle instructions suggested 1 to 2 caps twice daily. So setup my schedule to take 2 caps 30mins before workout, and 2 caps after workout. This works out such that each bottle lasts me a month. After just the first 3 to 4 days, I start noticing the effects - just like any other creatine! Except the fact that I'm only taking 2 caps each serving, or only 1.5grams per serving.

So in short, Kre Alkalyn works, and works great - all its claims are true as well. I was quite surprised myself how well it worked. As well, Kre Alkalyn creatine's benefits such as no bloating and no upset stomachs is a major plus for individuals who tend to get bloated and/or get upset stomachs with regular creatine.

Considering the fact that you only need to take small amounts of Kre Alkalyn per serving (1 to 2 grams), this is the only creatine product that I would ever buy in pill form. I can't imaging downing 5 to 8 pills of regular creatine pills each serving! Taking only 1 to 2 pills of kre alkalyn is very manageable - the pills are quite small. Another plus of Kre Alkalyn is that it isn't expensive at all. SciFit's Kre Alkalyn 1500 (120 cap bottle) goes for around $30 at retail, but you can get it online for only $25.

Kre-Alkalyn 1500
Old 07-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I do light/medium weights high reps, then every 5 days I go power. I usually do about 40-50 reps each with dumbell curls, military press, shrugs, butterflys. I add in pullups and pushups just because it feels good. I run stairs because it's a better workout for the lower body than lifting.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

sorry guys but lifting weights isnt where it is at..........if you have an office job , then on days off , create alot of shovel work around your place ,for 8-12 hours every day you are off , if you live in an apartment hire yourself out to farms as part time work , haying season and silage season is coming up , thats a work out and a half ......
hard work , no substitute ..........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I use Myoplex. I used Nitro Tech for a while which was legit as well.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

What are you trying to do? Gain Mass, lose weight, get in shape? Each goal has different path to achieve that objective.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
sorry guys but lifting weights isnt where it is at..........if you have an office job , then on days off , create alot of shovel work around your place ,for 8-12 hours every day you are off , if you live in an apartment hire yourself out to farms as part time work , haying season and silage season is coming up , thats a work out and a half ......
hard work , no substitute ..........
Yep I was hauling hay from the time I was old enough to buck one up on the trailor if you want a real workout go to the hay fields at 4 in the morning you won't want any part of lifting weights after that
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

There's a thread on this topic.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=54902
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Yep I was hauling hay from the time I was old enough to buck one up on the trailor if you want a real workout go to the hay fields at 4 in the morning you won't want any part of lifting weights after that
same here .....you lose weight , build mass , all of that and get paid ( well pay isnt so great but hey )
Old 07-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
bronco_boi_5280
Solid Starter

The Birdman Flies

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Andersen

No iron, but definitely pump hoes.
bronco_boi_5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
I do light/medium weights high reps, then every 5 days I go power. I usually do about 40-50 reps each with dumbell curls, military press, shrugs, butterflys. I add in pullups and pushups just because it feels good. I run stairs because it's a better workout for the lower body than lifting.
well, depends what you are lifting for. running stairs is good cardio, but not really a leg workout. there is very little resistance, you wont build lower leg strength or hypertrophy, just endurance, but if thats what you are going for running stairs is good.

pretty much that entire workout is endurance workout, power workout consists of power exercises, cleans, presses etc.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
1 gram of protein per 1lb of lean body weight is what I try to take in.

Quote:
I agree that you should just stick with the regular creatine monohydrate. It's proven and extremely effective.

Quote:
The ECA stack (ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin) is the only proven fat burner that I know of. The FDA banned ephedrine as a dietary supplement but you can still purchase it as a decongestant. Just be super careful if you still take it.

Quote:
Right now I'm in a weight loss phase, so I'm doing a 20min cardio warm up in the fat burning zone, then 6-8 exercises with a lower weight, reps between 12-20 and 3 sets. I only allow 30-60 seconds rest between sets and lift enough weight that I'm struggling to make the last rep of the 3rd set.

It's worked well for me so far. I'm on a variation of the low carb diet and my only supplements are a multi-vitamin, EAS whey protein and creatine monohydrate. Im gonna pick up some glutamine though.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I've done hard labor as well. It does get you in shape and builds a certain amount of muscle, but you're not going to look like this using a shovel....lol

My goals are building muscle mass and trimming some of the fat off the belly. I don't do alot of cardio since I hate it but I do need to do some to help fat burning. I'd like to have the perfect body...........hahahaha. For real, just get bigger and stronger and cut the fat down. Pretty simple goal really.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #16
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I eat bacon , eggs , sausage , McDonalds , burger king , taco bell , even today ....... love me some meat lovers pizza and omelets ............I use chewing tobacco , and I used to drink regular sodas ( but since the Doc said I was a diabetic , I drink diet soda ) but my blood sugar hasnt been over 120 in months ....... I think it was the corn syrup screwing with me ........and I am as fit as a fiddle
Old 07-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I've done hard labor as well. It does get you in shape and builds a certain amount of muscle, but you're not going to look like this using a shovel....lol

My goals are building muscle mass and trimming some of the fat off the belly. I don't do alot of cardio since I hate it but I do need to do some to help fat burning. I'd like to have the perfect body...........hahahaha. For real, just get bigger and stronger and cut the fat down. Pretty simple goal really.
yeah I dont look like that , but I do have some impressive guns
Old 07-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

When I was really training I did 2 grams of protein per gram of body weight. I am very carb intolerant so I always went low carbs except post workout I am a big believer in the DoggCrapp work out method.

www.extrememuscle.com or www.professionalmuscle.com
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #19
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I did till I tore up my rotator cuff....now it's mostly rehabbing that, diet and cardio.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #20
ChrisSimpy
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
When I was really training I did 2 grams of protein per gram of body weight. I am very carb intolerant so I always went low carbs except post workout I am a big believer in the DoggCrapp work out method.

www.extrememuscle.com or www.professionalmuscle.com
Yea the recommended is 1.5 - 2 grams

I lift alot now trying to get in good shape too. If you want to lose Body fat good diet and cardio... With routine lifting too.

If you hate cardio do some HIIT workouts. I'm not to big of a fan of creatine I mainly just use whey protein.
ChrisSimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #21
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_boi_5280 View Post
No iron, but definitely pump hoes.
That's the way to do it.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #22
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Bailing hay is a workout, maybe the best workout there is. Been there, done that.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #23
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
well, depends what you are lifting for. running stairs is good cardio, but not really a leg workout. there is very little resistance, you wont build lower leg strength or hypertrophy, just endurance, but if thats what you are going for running stairs is good.

pretty much that entire workout is endurance workout, power workout consists of power exercises, cleans, presses etc.
Bosheet. Running stairs is the best leg workout for an athlete.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #24
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Bosheet. Running stairs is the best leg workout for an athlete.
yea, what do i know...
Old 07-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

If you weigh 120 lbs, yes.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote