The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Field Level view
I have been on the field to see a game 21 45.65%
Never had the chance to watch a game upclose on the field 18 39.13%
spider is Hotrod and Pez lovechild 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Default Have you been at Field Level during a game

I am just wonder how many folks have actually been at field level during either NFL or major DIV-I football game.

I was having discussion with some of my co-workers yesterday, and I was explaining that I didn't think people understood how hard it was for QB/RB/WR to actually see the open passing lane or cut back lane. Since most people have the ability to see the whole field they underestimate how hard it is to make the right read or move.

If you have been at the field level could you explain what it was like vs watching from the stands/TV.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Row 8 20 yard line.

Everbody looks open.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Row 8 20 yard line.

Everbody looks open.
no ****!
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
bombay
Ring of Famer

At Mile High anyone could walk to field level and walk completely around the field, although you couldn't walk past the south end of the field through the south stands, had to turn around. Done that.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I am just wonder how many folks have actually been at field level during either NFL or major DIV-I football game.
My field level opportunity was in the late 90s down in San Diego. I found that on that level, the field was MUCH smaller than it looks on TV. The players are also much larger in comparison to the field, so the game quickly starts to look like human pinball on grass. The plays also move much faster, with more general chaos, than it looks like on TV when the cameras focus on one or two players and what's going on in their immediate surroundings. It was much more of a surprise, for instance, when all of a sudden Eddie Mac or Rod Smith was running free down the sidelines after they broke lose from the cluster**** in the middle of the field.

It was also kind of a revelation to see just how big John Elway was, compared to the normal-sized game officials. I could also see in person how many of John's short and mid-range passes were actually thrown *downward* from his point of release -- and with roughly the speed of bullets, at that. I'd swear I heard a couple of those balls whistling in flight.

For all of that, nothing beat watching John back up and spin out of the grasp of a Charger d-lineman who broke through on the pass rush. This guy literally had his arms open around John's knees, about to wrap him up for the sack. John escaped to throw the touchdown pass (to Eddie Mac), and left the d-lineman face-down and pounding the ground with his fists.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I've been on field level during games dozens of times ... Mile High, Folsom Field (zero room on that sidelines), the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City. Almost got leveled by Raymond Claiborne after he shoved Steve Watson out of bounds and lost his balance. He grabbed my arm as he slipped and stopped, and then just turned and ran back on the field.

Biggest difference is the speed. It's almost impossible to put into words how freaking fast those guys move. The distance and height of stadium seats, and TV itself really "dumb down" the speed.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I've been on field level during games dozens of times ... Mile High, Folsom Field (zero room on that sidelines), the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City. Almost got leveled by Raymond Claiborne after he shoved Steve Watson out of bounds and lost his balance. He grabbed my arm as he slipped and stopped, and then just turned and ran back on the field.

Biggest difference is the speed. It's almost impossible to put into words how freaking fast those guys move. The distance and height of stadium seats, and TV itself really "dumb down" the speed.
You need to go back into TV and be the sports anchor for a Denver station. Or, do it for a Colorado Springs station (all the local tv people suck). I have no idea how much a gig like that pays, but the perks can't be bad.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
You need to go back into TV and be the sports anchor for a Denver station. Or, do it for a Colorado Springs station (all the local tv people suck). I have no idea how much a gig like that pays, but the perks can't be bad.
Yeah, kind of ... but it's changed now. Just a couple years ago the league eliminated most of the sidelines passes for media. If you look close at the sidelines during telecasts now, and look close at sidelines a few years ago, there's less than half the number of people there.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

3rd row sec 110 for a few months
The view sucked. Cheerleaders always got in the way.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Was in the second row for our opening game at Miami in 2005 when we got absolutely crushed.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
halfcreek
Pro Bowler

Sat on the Broncos bench at the Polo Grounds.
halfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

We always try to get as close as we can
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

I said no, thinking stricktly Broncos games but i sat field level at a Saints and Panthers game back in 03', the year the Panthers went to the Super Bowl..and your right, they're much fast than they seem on TV..Stephen Davis looked like Deion out there!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I said no, thinking stricktly Broncos games but i sat field level at a Saints and Panthers game back in 03', the year the Panthers went to the Super Bowl..and your right, they're much fast than they seem on TV..Stephen Davis looked like Deion out there!!

Well, it's like anything else ... your horizontal field of vision gets wider and wider the closer you are to the object you're watching. For example, ever sit in the front row of a movie theater? Your head actually swivels as you look back and forth to see what's happening.

I saw Gerald Willhite go past me once in 1985 and I swear he had world class speed, I mean Carl Lewis speed ... but then when I watched the exact same play on TV, on my VCR that night, he looked like he was going a very average speed.

Another thing ... they do NOT go full speed at practices, not at all.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
and your b****in
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #16
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Before the game yes, during the game no.

I hope to be closer this year.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #17
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

First row Mile High and Invesco and all access Folsom Field many times.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:10 AM   #18
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Was a water and ball boy for the Houston Oilers from 1963 through 66. Not only did I watch games from the sidelines, but was half the height of every one else... Living in a world of giants.

And yes, Don Trull really was hairless except on his head :-)
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #19
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
Was in the second row for our opening game at Miami in 2005 when we got absolutely crushed.
That game sucked
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #20
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
sounds like it was pretty good to me...
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #21
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

It's harder to see on game day, but go to TC and get behind them when they are running 7 on 7's or goaline drills and you can really see the action and lanes. There are no good fields of vision from the sidelines on game day, but it is a different experience.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

My favorite place to sit is front row of the first deck, 50 yard line.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #23
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The player's families sit in row 3-6 on the 10 yard line to the end zone Section 100-110. Not a bad seat lots of fun especially sitting next to DJ Williams mom and family. I thought she was a player's wife and she kept apologizing for her mouth..like my virgin ears had never heard those words.

On the way home Chris told me a story about her. DJ went to De La Salle High School in Ca.De La Salle is one the the premier high school programs in the nation. In order to be on special teams you have to get the coaches attention so DJ had his mom dress in football pads and his sister video tape. He kicked off the football to his mom and ran downfield, when she caught the ball he blasted her full speed. He turned the tape into the ST Coach and he had to let him on the kickoff team. Classic!
kupesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #24
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupesdad View Post
The player's families sit in row 3-6 on the 10 yard line to the end zone Section 100-110. Not a bad seat lots of fun especially sitting next to DJ Williams mom and family. I thought she was a player's wife and she kept apologizing for her mouth..like my virgin ears had never heard those words.

On the way home Chris told me a story about her. DJ went to De La Salle High School in Ca.De La Salle is one the the premier high school programs in the nation. In order to be on special teams you have to get the coaches attention so DJ had his mom dress in football pads and his sister video tape. He kicked off the football to his mom and ran downfield, when she caught the ball he blasted her full speed. He turned the tape into the ST Coach and he had to let him on the kickoff team. Classic!
hahah ive heard that somewhere, was that in a newspaper a few years ago or something?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #25
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
hahah ive heard that somewhere, was that in a newspaper a few years ago or something?
Chris told me,,I'm sure he heard it in the locker room...I believe it because she is crazy...A blast to sit with because she's all over the place. Very nice looking too.
kupesdad is offline   Reply With Quote