The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default All about Elway

HIGH SCHOOL:

-Played for Granada Hills High School, CA.
-Was 129 of 200 for 1837 yards and 19 TD's as a senior.
-He completed 60 percent of his high school passes for 5,711 yards and 49 touchdowns.
-The football field at Granada Hills was re-named in his honor in 1998.
-Lead baseball team to the Los Angeles City Championship with a .491 batting average and a 4-2 pitching record.
-The most highly recruited prep athlete in the nation in 1979 and was listed on Parade, Scholastic Coach, Football News and National Coaches Association All-America Teams.
-Was selected by the Kansas City Royals in the 18th round of the 1979 summer draft but had already signed a national letter of intent with Stanford University.
-John's father, Jack Elway, coached his son in the East-West Shrine contest in which John earned Offensive MVP.

COLLEGE:

-Concluded his career with five major NCAA Division I-A records and nine major Pac-10 marks.
-Completed 62.1 percent of his career passes (774 of 1243, both NCAA highs) for 9,349 yards and 77 touchdowns, while setting an NCAA record for the lowest percentage of passes intercepted in a career (3.13 percent).
-As a senior, was consensus All-American and finished second in Heisman Trophy balloting while setting virtually every Pac-10 and Stanford career record for total offense and passing.
-Played baseball for the New York Yankees' Oneonta (NY) single-A farm club in 1982, hitting for a .318 average and knocking in a team-high 25 RBI in 42 games.
-Was the Yankees' first selection in the 1981 summer draft.
-Hit .349 with nine homers and 50 RBI in 49 games in his final college baseball season as a sophomore.
-Has a degree in economics from Stanford University.

PRO:

-1983-1998
-Finished his brilliant career in 1998 by winning MVP honors in Super Bowl XXXIII, leading the Broncos to their second straight World Championship.
-Posted highest QB rating of his career in his final campaign, with a rating of 93.0.
-Ranked second among active NFL players for number of appearances with one team (234).
-Retired having played in and started (231) more games in more seasons (16) than any player in Denver Broncos history.
-Elway, the NFL's all-time winningest starting quarterback (148-82-1; .643) was voted to a franchise record nine Pro Bowl appearances, tied for the most ever by a quarterback, and as a starter six times.
-He was the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 1987 and AFC Player of the Week 15 times and AFC Offensive Player of the Month twice.
-Named to the Edge NFL Man of the Year in 1992.
-Inducted in to the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame in 1999.
-Ranks second behind Dan Marino in most major NFL career passing catagories, including passing yards (51,475), attempts (7,250), completions (4,123) and total offense (54,882).
-Third in total touchdowns with 334 (300 passing/33 rushing/1 receiving).
-Third in passing touchdowns with 300 (behind Marino and Fran Tarkenton).
-Leads all NFL quarterbacks in career rushing attempts (774), while figuring fourth in rushing yards (3,407).
-Only player in NFL history to pass for over 3,000 yards and rush for over 200 yards in the same season for seven straight years (1985-91).
-Generated 4,771 of the 5,806 points (82.2%) scored by the Broncos during his 16-year tenure with the club.
-Ranks No. 1 in NFL history in fourth quarter, game-winning or game-saving drives with 47 (46-0-1 record), and had 36 career 300-yard passing games in the regular season, third among active quarterbacks at the time of his retirement (Marino, Warren Moon). Also caught three passes in regular season play for 61 yards, including a touchdown of 23 yards from Steve Sewell in 1986 (vs Raiders wk. 1).
-In 1997 Elway broke his franchise record for consecutive passes without an interception, with the streak reaching 189 attempts.
-For his career, Elway had 19 games in which he completed 70% or more of his passes and fashioned a 17-2 record in those games.
-He started 2,595 drives as a pro and was replaced just 10 times due to injury.

Postseason:

-Played in a franchise-record 22 postseason games (including five Super Bowls), with 21 starts, and produced a 14-7 record (9-2 at home, 3-2 on the road and 2-3 at neutral sites).
-He is the only player ever to start in five Super Bowls, and has the NFL's all-time best record as a starting quarterback in Conference Championship Games at 5-1.
-Elway owns or shares 18 Broncos' postseason records, including most passing yards, most touchdown passes and total offense (combined rushing and passing yards).
-He completed 355 of 651 passes (54.5%) for 4,964 yards, 27 touchdowns and 21 interceptions.
-Rushed 94 times for 461 yards (4.9 av) and six touchdowns and caught one pass for 23 yards in postseason play.
-Elway ranks second in NFL postseason history in passing yardage (Montana), third in completions (Montana, Marino) and pass attempts (Montana, Marino) and fourth in passing touchdowns (Montana, Marino and Bradshaw).
-In Super Bowl games Elway ranks No.1 in pass attempts (152), No.3 in completions (76), No.2 in passing yards (1,128) and tied for second in rushing TD's (4) with Franco Harris and Thurman Thomas (Emmitt Smith has 5).
-Six of Elway's NFL-record 47 fourth-quarter game-winning or game-saving drives came in the postseason.

CAREER SINGLE GAME HIGHS (Postseason in parenthesis):

Most Pass Attempts: 59 at GB 1993 (47 at Raiders 1994).
Most Pass Completions: 36 vs SD 1994 (29 at Raiders 1994).
Most Yards Passing: 432 at Sea 1985 (385 vs. Cle 1990).
Highest Comp Pct: .916 (11 of 12) at Raiders (vs Jax 16 of 24 1997 and at Sea 10 of 15 1983)
Most TD Passes: 5 vs Min 1984 (3 at Raiders 1994, 3 vs Cle 1990, 3 vs Cle 1988).
Most INT's.: 5 vs KC 1985 (3 vs Was 1988).
Longest Pass Completion: 80 to Marshall vs NYJ 1992 (80 to Rod Smith vs Atl 1999, 80 to Mark Jackson vs Cle 1988).
Most Rushing Attempts: 11 vs KC 1987 (11 vs Cle 1988).
Most Rushing Yards: 70 at Oak 1996 (56 at Cle 1987).
Most Rushing TD's: 2 vs Detroit 1987 and 2 vs Cin 1991 (1 six times in postseason).
Longest Run: 31 at Buf 1989 (34 at Cle 1987).
Most Combined Rushing and Passing Yards: 432 (0 rush, 432 pass) at Sea 1985 (424 39 rush, 385 pass vs Cle 1990).
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

JOHN ELWAY'S 300 YARD PASSING GAMES (40; Includes 4 Postseason):

vs. Balt (12/11/83) 44-23-345 3TD
vs. NE (11/4/84) 40-26-315 3TD
vs. NO (09/15/85) 43-28-353 4TD
vs. KC (12/14/85) 37-22-301 1TD
at Sea (12/20/85) 42-24-432 1TD
vs. Sea (10/26/86) 32-18-321 1TD
at NYG (11/26/86) 47-29-336 0TD
vs. NYG (1/25/87) 37-22-304 1TD
vs. Sea (9/13/87) 32-22-338 4TD
vs. Chi (11/16/87) 40-21-341 3TD
at SD (11/29/87) 32-21-347 3TD
at Sea (12/13/87) 42-21-335 1TD
at LA Raiders (12/4/88) 49-29-324 2TD
at Sea (10/22/89) 35-18-344 2TD
vs. Cle (1/14/90) 36-20-385 3TD
at Indy (10/21/90) 30-21-317 2TD
at KC (12/9/90) 36-24-328 2TD
at Hou (10/6/91) 42-24-301 2TD
vs. KC (10/4/92) 38-23-311 2TD
at KC (9/20/93) 45-28-300 1TD
at GB (10/10/93) 59-33-367 1TD
at LA Raiders (1/2/94) 36-25-361 3TD
at LA Raiders (1/9/94) 47-29-302 3TD
vs. SD (9/4/94) 46-36-371 3TD
at NYJ (9/11/94) 42-29-319 1TD
vs. Cle (10/30/94) 41-30-349 2TD
vs. Atl (11/20/94) 42-27-382 2TD
vs. Buf (9/3/95) 41-22-317 0TD
vs. Was (9/17/95) 47-30-327 2TD
vs. Oak (10/16/95) 46-23-324 2TD
at Hou (11/26/95) 41-27-332 2TD
at Oak (12/24/95) 41-24-320 2TD
at Cin (9/29/96) 37-23-335 2TD
vs. SD (10/6/96) 41-32-323 4TD
vs. Balt (10/20/96) 39-25-326 3TD
at Min (11/24/96) 36-27-334 2TD
at Oak (10/19/97) 46-26-309 1TD
vs. KC (12/6/98) 32-22-400 2TD
vs. Sea (12/27/98) 36-26-338 4TD
vs. Atl (1/31/99) 29-18-336 1TD
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

JOHN ELWAY'S FOURTH QUARTER HEROICS:


In his career (1983-98) John Elway has engineered 47 fourth-quarter or overtime, game-saving or game-winning drives for the Broncos, and the team has a record of 46-0-1 in those contests. Those games include:

40 fourth-quarter or overtime, game-winning drives (marked on the following page with an asterisk). The Broncos scored the winning points 23 times with fewer than three minutes remaining, 21 times under two minutes and 13 times with less than a minute left.

Seven fourth-quarter, game-tying drives. Denver went on to win six of those contests in regulation or overtime, and one game ended in a tie. The Broncos won in regulation vs. New England (11/4/84) and at Seattle (12/20/85). In overtime, Elway directed the game-winning drive in the AFC Championship Game at Cleveland (1/11/87), while the defense and special teams set up OT wins vs. San Diego (11/17/85), at San Francisco (10/9/88) and at Seattle (10/22/89). The game at Green Bay (9/20/87) ended in a tie.


JOHN ELWAY'S FOURTH QUARTER HEROICS GAME BY GAME:


Dec. 11, 1983 vs. Baltimore - Throws three fourth-quarter TD passes, the last a 26-yarder to Gerald Willhite with 0:44 left in 21-19 win.

Nov. 4, 1984 vs. New England - Directs 8-play, 78-yard drive for seven-yard TD pass to Butch Johnson with 4:03 left to tie score at 19-19; Dennis Smith returns a fumble 64 yards for TD with 1:45 left in a 26-19 win.

Nov. 11, 1984 at San Diego - Directs 10-play, 77-yard drive for Sammy Winder one-yard TD run with 0:38 left in 16-13 win.

Dec. 9, 1984 vs. San Diego - Directs 12-play, 40-yard drive for Rich Karlis field goal with 2:08 left in 16-13 win.

Sept. 22, 1985 vs. Atlanta - Directs three scoring drives (two TDs, one FG) in fourth quarter, erasing 28-27 deficit, in 44-28 win.

Nov. 11, 1985 vs. San Francisco - Directs 9-play, 63-yard drive for Rich Karlis 24-yard field goal with 1:27 left in 17-16 win.

Nov. 17, 1985 vs. San Diego - Directs 7-play, 48-yard drive for Rich Karlis 34-yard field goal with 0:05 left to tie San Diego; Denver wins 30-24 on Louis Wright's 60-yard TD return of a blocked field goal in OT.

Dec. 1, 1985 at Pittsburgh - Directs 7-play, 58-yard drive for Steve Sewell two-yard TD run with 1:45 left, taking a 24-23 lead; Mike Harden returns an interception 42 yards for a score for 31-23 win.

Dec. 14, 1985 vs. Kansas City - Directs 8-play, 59-yard drive for Sammy Winder one-yard TD run with 0:22 left in 14-13 win.

Dec. 20, 1985 at Seattle - Directs 8-play, 80-yard drive for Steve Sewell one-yard run to tie game at 24-24 with 2:35 remaining; then passes for 27 yards to start a five-play, 34-yard drive (Gary Kubiak takes over when Elway is injured) for a Rich Karlis 43-yard field goal with 0:55 remaining in 27-24 win.

Sept. 7, 1986 vs. L.A. Raiders - Directs 9-play, 39-yard drive for seven-yard pass to Gene Lang with 5:11 left in 38-36 win.

Jan. 11, 1987 at Cleveland (AFC Championship Game) - Directs 15-play, 98-yard drive for five-yard TD pass to Mark Jackson with 0:39 left to tie game 20-20; in Denver's first OT possession, directs 60-yard drive for Rich Karlis 33-yard FG in 23-20 win.

Sept. 20, 1987 at Green Bay - Directs 18-play, 80-yard drive for Steve Sewell one-yard run with 5:53 remaining to tie game at 17-17; game ends in an overtime tie.

Nov. 16, 1987 vs. Chicago - Directs 8-play, 61-yard drive for Steve Sewell four-yard TD run with 4:58 left in 31-29 win.

Dec. 6, 1987 vs. New England - Directs 6-play, 74-yard drive for two-yard TD pass to Mark Jackson with 12:41 left for 24-20 lead; Mark Haynes later returns an interception for 14 yards and a score in 31-20 win.

Jan. 17, 1988 vs. Cleveland (AFC Championship Game) - Directs 5-play, 75-yard drive for 20-yard TD pass to Sammy Winder with 4:01 left for 38-31 lead; after safety and Ernest Byner fumble, Denver wins 38-33.

Oct. 9, 1988 at San Francisco - Directs 9-play, 58-yard drive for eight-yard TD pass to Vance Johnson with 8:37 left to tie game 13-13; Broncos win in overtime when Steve Wilson's interception sets up Rich Karlis 22-yard field goal 8:11 into overtime.

Oct. 8, 1989 vs. San Diego - Directs 11-play, 74-yard drive for Bobby Humphrey 17-yard TD run with 1:03 left in 16-10 win.

Oct. 22, 1989 at Seattle - Throws 54-yard TD pass to Vance Johnson with 2:19 left (only play of drive) to tie game 21-21; Dennis Smith interception sets up David Treadwell's 27-yard field goal at 7:14 of OT for 24-21 win.

Nov. 12, 1989 at Kansas City - Directs 10-play, 72-yard drive for David Treadwell 26-yard FG with 0:01 left in 16-13 win.

Jan. 7, 1990 vs. Pittsburgh (AFC Divisional Playoff) - Directs 9-play, 71-yard drive for Melvin Bratton one-yard run with 2:27 left in 24-23 win.

Sept. 17, 1990 vs. Kansas City - Directs 10-play, 79-yard drive for David Treadwell 22-yard FG with 0:00 left for 24-23 win.

Oct. 21, 1990 at Indianapolis - Directs 9-play, 58-yard drive for David Treadwell 42-yard FG to break tie with 3:45 left; then directs five-play, 56-yard drive for Steve Sewell two-yard run with 1:41 left in 27-17 win.

Oct. 20, 1991 vs. Kansas City - Directs 7-play, 70-yard drive for David Treadwell 27-yard field goal with 2:37 left in 19-16 win.

Oct. 27, 1991 at New England - Directs 9-play, 42-yard drive for David Treadwell 34-yard field goal with 1:56 left in 9-6 win.

Dec. 8, 1991 at Cleveland - Directs 16-play, 64-yard drive for six-yard TD pass to Vance Johnson with 8:54 left to break 7-7 tie; then directs six-play, 66-yard drive for David Treadwell 37-yard field goal with 3:29 remaining in 17-7 win.

Dec. 15, 1991 vs. Phoenix - Directs 6-play, 66-yard drive for Elway's four-yard TD run with 1:46 left in 24-19 win.

Jan. 4, 1992 vs. Houston (AFC Divisional Playoff) - Directs 12-play, 87-yard drive for David Treadwell 28-yard field goal with 0:20 left in 26-24 win.

Sept. 6, 1992 vs. L.A. Raiders - Directs 7-play, 85-yard drive for Reggie Rivers one-yard TD run with 0:55 left in 17-13 win.

Oct. 4, 1992 vs. Kansas City - Directs 14-play, 80-yard drive for 25-yard pass to Mark Jackson with 1:55 left to pull Denver within six points at 19-13; after a 28-yard punt return, directs a three-play, 27-yard drive for a 12-yard TD pass to Vance Johnson with 0:38 left in 20-19 win.

Oct. 18, 1992 vs. Houston - Directs 3-play, 80-yard drive for Reggie Rivers' 20-yard TD run with 1:34 left in 27-21 win.

Dec. 12, 1993 vs. Kansas City - Directs three-play, 11-yard drive for six-yard TD pass to Shannon Sharpe with 10:34 left in 27-21 win.

Oct. 23, 1994 at San Diego - Directs 4-play, four-yard drive to set up Jason Elam's 54-yard field goal with 10:02 remaining that put Denver ahead 17-15; then directed a nine-play, 66-yard drive to set up Elam for a 25-yard field goal that provided the final score of 20-15 with 4:07 remaining.

Nov. 20, 1994 vs. Atlanta - Directs 10-play, 73-yard drive for 32-yard TD pass to Anthony Miller to pull Denver within 28-25 with 10:19 remaining; then drove the Broncos 57 yards in 10 plays, capping the drive with a four-yard TD run to put Denver ahead to stay 32-28 with 1:56 remaining.

Sept. 17, 1995 vs. Washington - Directs 8-play, 80-yard drive that culminated with a 43-yard TD strike to Rod Smith on the final play of the game (play started at 0:06), breaking a 31-31 tie and giving Denver a 38-31 win. The drive began on the Broncos' 20-yard line with 1:07 remaining.

Nov. 19, 1995 vs. San Diego - Directs 7-play, 53-yard drive to set up Jason Elam's game-wining 32-yard field goal, breaking a 27-27 tie, and lifting Denver to a 30-27 win. The drive began on the Broncos' 33-yard line with 3:43 remaining.

Dec. 24, 1995 at Oakland - Directs 12-play, 79-yard drive to set up Jason Elam's 27-yard field goal to pull Denver to within 28-20 with 12:47 remaining; then drove the Broncos 87 yards in 13 plays, culminating with a four-yard TD pass to Ed McCaffrey - on which Elway ran in for the two-point conversion - to tie the score at 28-28 with 5:46 remaining; then drove 53 yards in nine plays to set up Elam's game-winning 37-yard field goal with 0:48 remaining, giving Denver the 31-28 victory.

Sept. 15, 1996 vs. Tampa Bay - Directs 14-play, 80-yard drive over an 8:11 span, capped by Terrell Davis' three-yard run with 3:32 remaining, giving Denver a 27-23 win.

Oct. 20, 1996 vs. Baltimore - Directs 10-play, 57-yard yard drive in 4:31, culminating with a 6-yard touchdown pass to Ed McCaffrey, to put Denver ahead 38-34 with 10:57 remaining. He later led the club 15 yards in three plays, capped by his own 9-yard touchdown run with 1:16 remaining, to provide the final margin of 45-34.

Nov. 4, 1996 at Oakland - Directs 6-play, 73-yard drive over a 47-second span, culminating with a 49-yard touchdown pass to Rod Smith with 4:14 remaining to erase a 21-16 Raiders lead and lift Denver to a 22-21 win.

Nov. 24, 1996 at Minnesota - Directs 11-play, 84-yard drive in 5:02, capped by a five-yard touchdown pass to Ed McCaffrey with 19 seconds remaining that was tipped three times by Vikings defenders, to give Denver a 21-17 win.

Oct. 26, 1997 at Buffalo - Directs 9-play, 43-yards drive in 4:47 during overtime to set up a 33-yard Jason Elam field goal with 1:56 remaining on the clock, giving Denver a 23-20 win.

Nov. 2, 1997 vs. Seattle - Directs 8-play, 69-yard drive in 4:34 to set up a 22-yard Jason Elam field goal with 7:28 remaining, breaking a 27-27 tie and giving Denver a 30-27 win.

Jan. 4, 1998 at Kanas City (AFC Divisional Playoff) - Directs 6-play, 49-yard drive in 2:38, capped by a 1-yard Terrell Davis touchdown run with 12:32 remaining to give Denver a 14-10 AFC Divisional Playoff victory. Key to the drive was Elway's 43-yard strike to Ed McCaffrey that set up the Broncos at the Chiefs 1-yard line.

Jan. 25, 1998 vs. Green Bay (Super Bowl XXXII) - Directs 5-play, 49-yard drive in 1:42, culminating in a 1-yard Terrell Davis touchdown run with 1:45 remaining to break a 24-24 tie and give Denver a 31-24 win to claim its first World Championship. Key to the drive was a screen pass to fullback Howard Griffith that covered 23 yards and put Denver at the Green Bay 8-yard line.

Nov. 1, 1998 at Cincinnati - Directs 5-play, 53-yard drive in 1:56, culminating in a 5-yard Terrell Davis touchdown run with 58 seconds remaining to break a 26-26 tie and give Denver a 33-26 win. Key to the drive was a 38-yard kickoff return by Vaughn Hebron to stake the Broncos with good field position.

Dec. 6, 1998 vs. Kansas City - Directs 5-play, 50-yard drive in 2:39, capped by a 24-yard touchdown pass to Shannon Sharpe with 3:34 remaining to give Denver a 35-31 lead that would hold up for the win - Denver's 13th in a row to begin the season (tied for second-best all-time) and 18th in a row overall, dating back to the 1997 season (tied for the longest streak in NFL history, regular and postseason combined).
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

Praise Elway, he is king
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

i was there
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,747

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

ALL HAIL KING ELWAY








Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

Yeah, but just wait, Cutler will surpass all that is Elway
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Yeah, but just wait, Cutler will surpass all that is Elway
Not in Denver
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,747

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Yeah, but just wait, Cutler will surpass all that is Elway













Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,499

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Thank you for that Atlas...and no, no matter how successful Cutler is, will he ever surpass ALL that is Elway. No one has, no one will.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,139

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
HIGH SCHOOL:

-Played for Granada Hills High School, CA.
-Was 129 of 200 for 1837 yards and 19 TD's as a senior.
-He completed 60 percent of his high school passes for 5,711 yards and 49 touchdowns.
-The football field at Granada Hills was re-named in his honor in 1998.
-Lead baseball team to the Los Angeles City Championship with a .491 batting average and a 4-2 pitching record.
-The most highly recruited prep athlete in the nation in 1979 and was listed on Parade, Scholastic Coach, Football News and National Coaches Association All-America Teams.
-Was selected by the Kansas City Royals in the 18th round of the 1979 summer draft but had already signed a national letter of intent with Stanford University.
-John's father, Jack Elway, coached his son in the East-West Shrine contest in which John earned Offensive MVP.

COLLEGE:

-Concluded his career with five major NCAA Division I-A records and nine major Pac-10 marks.
-Completed 62.1 percent of his career passes (774 of 1243, both NCAA highs) for 9,349 yards and 77 touchdowns, while setting an NCAA record for the lowest percentage of passes intercepted in a career (3.13 percent).
-As a senior, was consensus All-American and finished second in Heisman Trophy balloting while setting virtually every Pac-10 and Stanford career record for total offense and passing.
-Played baseball for the New York Yankees' Oneonta (NY) single-A farm club in 1982, hitting for a .318 average and knocking in a team-high 25 RBI in 42 games.
-Was the Yankees' first selection in the 1981 summer draft.
-Hit .349 with nine homers and 50 RBI in 49 games in his final college baseball season as a sophomore.
-Has a degree in economics from Stanford University.

PRO:

-1983-1998
-Finished his brilliant career in 1998 by winning MVP honors in Super Bowl XXXIII, leading the Broncos to their second straight World Championship.
-Posted highest QB rating of his career in his final campaign, with a rating of 93.0.
-Ranked second among active NFL players for number of appearances with one team (234).
-Retired having played in and started (231) more games in more seasons (16) than any player in Denver Broncos history.
-Elway, the NFL's all-time winningest starting quarterback (148-82-1; .643) was voted to a franchise record nine Pro Bowl appearances, tied for the most ever by a quarterback, and as a starter six times.
-He was the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 1987 and AFC Player of the Week 15 times and AFC Offensive Player of the Month twice.
-Named to the Edge NFL Man of the Year in 1992.
-Inducted in to the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame in 1999.
-Ranks second behind Dan Marino in most major NFL career passing catagories, including passing yards (51,475), attempts (7,250), completions (4,123) and total offense (54,882).
-Third in total touchdowns with 334 (300 passing/33 rushing/1 receiving).
-Third in passing touchdowns with 300 (behind Marino and Fran Tarkenton).
-Leads all NFL quarterbacks in career rushing attempts (774), while figuring fourth in rushing yards (3,407).
-Only player in NFL history to pass for over 3,000 yards and rush for over 200 yards in the same season for seven straight years (1985-91).
-Generated 4,771 of the 5,806 points (82.2%) scored by the Broncos during his 16-year tenure with the club.
-Ranks No. 1 in NFL history in fourth quarter, game-winning or game-saving drives with 47 (46-0-1 record), and had 36 career 300-yard passing games in the regular season, third among active quarterbacks at the time of his retirement (Marino, Warren Moon). Also caught three passes in regular season play for 61 yards, including a touchdown of 23 yards from Steve Sewell in 1986 (vs Raiders wk. 1).
-In 1997 Elway broke his franchise record for consecutive passes without an interception, with the streak reaching 189 attempts.
-For his career, Elway had 19 games in which he completed 70% or more of his passes and fashioned a 17-2 record in those games.
-He started 2,595 drives as a pro and was replaced just 10 times due to injury.

Postseason:

-Played in a franchise-record 22 postseason games (including five Super Bowls), with 21 starts, and produced a 14-7 record (9-2 at home, 3-2 on the road and 2-3 at neutral sites).
-He is the only player ever to start in five Super Bowls, and has the NFL's all-time best record as a starting quarterback in Conference Championship Games at 5-1.
-Elway owns or shares 18 Broncos' postseason records, including most passing yards, most touchdown passes and total offense (combined rushing and passing yards).
-He completed 355 of 651 passes (54.5%) for 4,964 yards, 27 touchdowns and 21 interceptions.
-Rushed 94 times for 461 yards (4.9 av) and six touchdowns and caught one pass for 23 yards in postseason play.
-Elway ranks second in NFL postseason history in passing yardage (Montana), third in completions (Montana, Marino) and pass attempts (Montana, Marino) and fourth in passing touchdowns (Montana, Marino and Bradshaw).
-In Super Bowl games Elway ranks No.1 in pass attempts (152), No.3 in completions (76), No.2 in passing yards (1,128) and tied for second in rushing TD's (4) with Franco Harris and Thurman Thomas (Emmitt Smith has 5).
-Six of Elway's NFL-record 47 fourth-quarter game-winning or game-saving drives came in the postseason.

CAREER SINGLE GAME HIGHS (Postseason in parenthesis):

Most Pass Attempts: 59 at GB 1993 (47 at Raiders 1994).
Most Pass Completions: 36 vs SD 1994 (29 at Raiders 1994).
Most Yards Passing: 432 at Sea 1985 (385 vs. Cle 1990).
Highest Comp Pct: .916 (11 of 12) at Raiders (vs Jax 16 of 24 1997 and at Sea 10 of 15 1983)
Most TD Passes: 5 vs Min 1984 (3 at Raiders 1994, 3 vs Cle 1990, 3 vs Cle 1988).
Most INT's.: 5 vs KC 1985 (3 vs Was 1988).
Longest Pass Completion: 80 to Marshall vs NYJ 1992 (80 to Rod Smith vs Atl 1999, 80 to Mark Jackson vs Cle 1988).
Most Rushing Attempts: 11 vs KC 1987 (11 vs Cle 1988).
Most Rushing Yards: 70 at Oak 1996 (56 at Cle 1987).
Most Rushing TD's: 2 vs Detroit 1987 and 2 vs Cin 1991 (1 six times in postseason).
Longest Run: 31 at Buf 1989 (34 at Cle 1987).
Most Combined Rushing and Passing Yards: 432 (0 rush, 432 pass) at Sea 1985 (424 39 rush, 385 pass vs Cle 1990).
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Thank you for that Atlas...and no, no matter how successful Cutler is, will he ever surpass ALL that is Elway. No one has, no one will.

Greatest QB ever.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,883

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

FYI, Nick at Night, he's on the Home Improvement episode that I'm watching with my daughter.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,883

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Thank you for that Atlas...and no, no matter how successful Cutler is, will he ever surpass ALL that is Elway. No one has, no one will.
I love him, but I don't think ANYONE expected/expects him to be the take the throne as the greatest QB ever.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #15
Sacked by Croel
Solid Starter
 
Sacked by Croel's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 126

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Sacked by Croel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,752

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

It sucks that we're going to have to see Jay Cutler's name in the Broncos record book (for single season stats) for years to come.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #17
SteveTensi13
GIVE ME SOME MORE ORANGE
 
SteveTensi13's Avatar
 
OLD SCHOOL BRONCO

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Helmand province, Afghanistan
Posts: 1,821

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Stokley
Default

Good post! I love stats. Is that wrong?
SteveTensi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #18
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacked by Croel View Post
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #19
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,499

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I love him, but I don't think ANYONE expected/expects him to be the take the throne as the greatest QB ever.
Of course, there will always be those who don't know any better. As far as I'm concerned he's already sitting on that throne.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #20
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Of course, there will always be those who don't know any better. As far as I'm concerned he's already sitting on that throne.
He is sitting on top of his throne, looking down at the competition pelting them with his empty beer cans.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #21
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Thanks again 4 the Elway rookie card Atlas.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:14 AM   #22
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Thanks again 4 the Elway rookie card Atlas.
Hey no problem Mock. You have come a long way since the hospital bed. Nice to have you back.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #23
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,747

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #24
orange 4 life
Old School Orange
 
Home team qb homer

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Anywhere, CO.
Posts: 8,576
Default

Add to that list that he was offered a tryout by the Washington Bullets (of course for PR, but stil), hit .318 for the Yanks rookie club and led the team (during his brief time there) in RBI's and outfield assists, could bench 350 lbs.......at age 38 (an astounding 450 was rumored earlier in his career), and was the only player on the team to be able to complete their treadmill (for lack of the exact word) test (gets harder the longer you're on it) ALSO at age 38.

Oh yeah, and he's a scratch golfer that probably could be a Sr. pro if he devoted enough time to it.

The man isn't just one of the best FOOTBALL players ever or the best qb ever, but rather one of the best ATHLETES ever.
orange 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
orange 4 life
Old School Orange
 
Home team qb homer

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Anywhere, CO.
Posts: 8,576
Default

When it comes to our players, I'm more of a realist than a "homer" (God I hate that word, but it works here for lack of a better one), and while I'll always CHEER for our players, that doesn't mean I think they're the best at their position.

I don't think Terrell is H.O.F. material, and I don't think Sharpe is the best tight end of all time. Not by a longshot.

That said, John Elway (outside of our great state) is one of the most underappreciated athletes in the history of sport.
orange 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Denver Broncos