The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Default Stallworth not only drunk, he tested positive for Marijuana.

Delete this if it was posted before

This could add some serious time onto his suspension.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4297460

Stallworth has also been suspended indefinitely by the NFL. Attorney David Cornwell, who is representing Stallworth in that matter, released a statement Tuesday after the Miami Herald reported on its Web site, citing unidentified sources, that the receiver tested positive for marijuana after the accident.

Cornwell stated any facts surrounding the case that might soon become public were fully known by law enforcement officers, prosecutors, defense attorneys and the judge when the plea agreement was reached.

Those facts could include the presence of marijuana in Stallworth's blood, according to the lawyer's statement. An individual can test positive for marijuana weeks after its use, meaning its presence in Stallworth's blood doesn't necessarily mean he was under the influence at the time of the accident.

While the marijuana hasn't appeared to play a role in Stallworth's criminal case, it could affect his standing with the NFL and its drug policies.

PS it was confirmed he did in fact test positive for illegal substances.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

The driving while drunk and killing someone is the story. An awful one. Testing positive for marijuana means little to me. It could have been days ago and depending on how they did the test, months ago.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
bronco_boi_5280
Solid Starter

The Birdman Flies

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Andersen

Yes @ gunns.

I'm not trying to spin, but seriously, there is zero way to prove he smoked that night at all.
bronco_boi_5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Drunk & high, kills someone by his own gross neglect, and gets the slightly harsher than Leonard Little treatment- **** that mother****ing son of a b****...™
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
richpjr
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_boi_5280 View Post
Yes @ gunns.

I'm not trying to spin, but seriously, there is zero way to prove he smoked that night at all.
I'm not sure that will matter to the NFL. Since they ban it's use anywhere, anytime, it surely won't help his cause.

I'm still confused about one thing: isn't his "indefinite" suspension kind of a moot point since he is on 2 years house arrest after his 30 days in the slammer are up? Kind of hard to play football from your house. Or will he be allowed out during the day and has to spend the night at home?
richpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

He did flash his high beams at him before he hit 'em. That's got to count for something.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

So since he tested positive for the lettuce, do they think automatically he was stoned that night?
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
So since he tested positive for the lettuce, do they think automatically he was stoned that night?
I automatically do.

I mean... If you're a pot smoker, what's the point of getting drunk if you're not going to get high too?

"Nah man... I'm just drinking tonight."

Not that I think the weed was the problem here. I definitely think the alcohol was the core issue, not to mention the lack of a brain.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #9
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I automatically do.

I mean... If you're a pot smoker, what's the point of getting drunk if you're not going to get high too?

Not that I think the weed was the problem here. I definitely think the alcohol was the core issue, not to mention the lack of a brain.
I was automatically thinking the same, based purely on experience when I was younger...™
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
CSU Husker
Seasoned Veteran

This brings up a good point tho. What if you are a smoker, and you have something like this happen. They do the BAC test and its clear, but find weed in your system. What happens then? How are they going to prove/disprove if you were high when the accident happened?
CSU Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Might not have been from that night but he's still a hoser for killing a dude.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

If you jaywalk, you deserve to die.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:17 AM   #13
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

im still trying to figure out how he could have the time to start flashing his high beams, but not have time to stop/swerve considering he was the only car around.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #14
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
He did flash his high beams at him before he hit 'em. That's got to count for something.
Point well taken.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #15
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
I automatically do.

Another good point.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
KillerBronco#76
Perennial Pro-bowler

"The Beast" From the east

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSU Husker View Post
This brings up a good point tho. What if you are a smoker, and you have something like this happen. They do the BAC test and its clear, but find weed in your system. What happens then? How are they going to prove/disprove if you were high when the accident happened?
If weed is in your system you might as well have smoked that night. In the eyes of the law it is still a DUI they don't have to know when you smoked it just that you did.
KillerBronco#76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

I just can't believe the guy only got 30 days. Just wow.

So you can get multiple life sentences for ponzi (sp?) schemes, 2 years in prison for dog fighting, but killing people (WHILE DRUNK DRIVING no less) gets you 30 days?

Awesomeness on the part of our judicial system, and a big fat ****ing wallet.

This was being talked about yesterday with Scott and Al on the fan, and I just wanted to continue the convo a little bit.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

It's called contributory negligence. If the guy wasn't sprinting across the street outside of a marked crosswalk, he would be alive today. By all accounts, even though Stallworth was legally drunk, he was driving well within the rules of the road. In Florida, that means he might very well have been acquitted of all charges. The prosecution knew this, which is why they accepted the plea.

Madoff, etc. were completely different scenarios that shouldn't be compared to this one.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

did anyone see the police report or hear what they said about the surveillance tape that caught the accident

it sounds like the guy hopped right out in front of the car on a 4 lane highway...thats why none of this matters

if they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Stallworth would have hit him even if he was sober they throw the case out....hence why the family knew about this and took the settlement

just legalize pot already
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #20
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
I automatically do.

A lot of people dont like to mix them. I'm ambivalent.

On topic, this doesn't matter at all, if it's in his system there's roughly a 30 day window for use.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
It's called contributory negligence. If the guy wasn't sprinting across the street outside of a marked crosswalk, he would be alive today. By all accounts, even though Stallworth was legally drunk, he was driving well within the rules of the road. In Florida, that means he might very well have been acquitted of all charges. The prosecution knew this, which is why they accepted the plea.

Madoff, etc. were completely different scenarios that shouldn't be compared to this one.
I like your argument that even everything Stallworth did that wasn't illegal was inside the rules of the law. It is trivially true that if we exclude all crimes, then the rest will be legal.

Stallworth could have been driving a stolen car with no license and with the hood up so he couldn't see, while firing a stolen machine gun out the window all while drinking copious amounts of Johnny Walker, but still be driving within the rules of the road.

So the defense counsel, knowing full well that his client would be acquited in court, went with a plea deal that gave Stallworth 30 days in jail, 2 years limited house arrest and 8 years probation, lifetime license suspension and 1000 hours community service. That has to be the worlds worst defense lawyer, or just maybe, he knew that Stallworth was going to prison and found a way to limit the damage as much as possible so Stallworth can get on with serving his suspension and get back to playing football.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote