The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,571

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default OT - Celebrating the Apollo 11 40th Anniversary

40 years ago this month men walked upon a new world for the 1st time. I was too young to watch but I do have the complete Video's on DVD of the Apollo 11 mission.

It is simply awe inspiring.

I signed my 6 year old up for a local town kids event, lots of crayons and juice I am sure, but if you can make it out to one of the events below then you rock.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Apollo 40th Anniversary Events and Activities (6/22/09 ver. 7)
It should be noted dates for events associated with the NASA Lecture Series and the NASA Future Forums are yet to be determined and will be added later. Dates of activities are subject to change without notice. Also, not all events listed are open to general public or are NASA sponsored events. Agencylevel
events are in Blue. Center/Regional events are in Pink. International Events are in Green.
June 13, 2009 – Museum of Flight Apollo Event in Seattle, WA
June 15 21,
2009 – Paris Air Show in Paris, France
June 17, 2009 – Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Launch at KSC
June 21, 2009 – Apollo Space Exhibit at LBJ Library
June 2629,
2009 – Exploration Experience Tour at Charleston Harborfest in Charleston, SC
June 27, 2009 – Moon Bounce by Planet Earth, DC July 10, 2009 – Sixth Annual Saturn/Apollo Reunion at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL July 1011,
2009 – Space Camp Hall of Fame Reunion/Apollo Anniversary Commemoration at Saturn V
Center in Huntsville, AL July 16, 2009 – Astronaut Space Foundation Apollo 11 40th Anniversary activities at KSC Visitor Center
July 16, 2009 – NASA History Apollo 40th Anniversary Symposium at NASA HQ, Washington DC
July 1718,
2009 – National Aviation Hall of Fame event in Dayton, OH
July 18, 2009 – Salute to Apollo: The Kennedy Legacy at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC
July 1819,
2009 – Dayton Air show in Dayton, OH July 1820,
2009 – Exploration Day at Virginia Living Museum in Newport News, VA July 19 21,
2009 – Special Exhibit at Museum of Flight in Seattle, WA (ESMD) July 19, 2009 – Moonfest at Ames Research Center in San Jose, CA
July 19, 2009 – Glenn Lecture (Apollo 11 crew) at NASM in Washington DC
July 19, 2009 – Apollo Commemoration activities (films, exhibits) at Space Center Houston, TX July 19, 2009 – Apollo 40th activities at Neil Armstrong Museum in Wapakoneta, OH
July 20, 2009 – Education event at the Newseum in Washington, DC
July 20, 2009 – Apollo 40th Anniversary event at the NASM in Washington, DC with Apollo 11 crew and other Apollo astronauts ~July 20, 2009 – First Footprints Celebrations at NASA Field Centers
July 20, 2009 – NASA Night at Houston Astros game in conjunctions with NASA exhibits at Union Station in Houston, TX July 20, 2009 – NASA Driven to Explore at Discovery Green in Houston, TX July 20, 2009 – Apollo 40th Celebration at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL July 2024,
2008 – Apollo activities at Virginia Air and Space Museum in Hampton, VA
July 21, 2009 – Congressional Gold Medal Ceremony for Apollo 11 crew in Washington DC (TBD)
July 24, 2009 – First Footprint celebration at JSC Visitor Complex in Houston, TX July 25, 2009 – USS Hornet Museum 40th Anniversary event in Alameda, CA
July 2731,
2009 – Oshkosh Air Show in Oshkosh, WI
August 1, 2009 – Astronomy event at New Quarter Park in Hampton, VA September 45,
2009 – Race to the Moon celebration events at San Diego Air and Space Museum
October 2009 – World Space Week
October 2122,
2009 – Von Braun Memorial Symposium (Apollo 40th Anniversary theme) in Huntsville, AL
November 14, 2009 – Apollo 40th event at Virginia Air and Space Museum for Apollo 12 anniversary in Hampton, VA
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,232

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

where's the event where you get to play with a 12" softball?
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,991

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I sure wish our government would get its head out of its ass and start planning a manned mission to Mars.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,571

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I sure wish our government would get its head out of its ass and start planning a manned mission to Mars.
Is it true that Spider is on a mission to URAnus?













I can't resist a good Uranus joke!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,571

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I sure wish our government would get its head out of its ass and start planning a manned mission to Mars.
I would be happy with a return to the moon before the Chinese get there.

I haven't heard any new plans or funding since the economic downturn and Stimuli.

I am guessing all the manned missions outside earth orbit are delayed a couple years.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Bronco Bob
Tastee Freeze
 
Bronco Bob's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,517

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default

The university of Arizona in Tucson, AZ, will be holding an Apollo 11 celebration Saturday, the 18th.
If you are in town, stop by.

Apollo Moon Landing 40th Anniversary

Saturday, 18 Jul 2009
2:00 pm — 8:00 pm
Location: Kuiper Space Sciences Building, Room 308, 312, 330, atrium

This event is FREE and open to the public. As more information becomes available, we will update this page, so check back often!

Activities from 2:00 to 5:00p.m. include displays (including lunar meteorites), children’s activities, telescopes, solar viewing, 3D Apollo images, lectures, a NASA documentary of the flight of Apollo 15, liquid nitrogen ice cream, and more.

Lectures and Movie times
In the Mountains of the Moon, Kuiper 308, 2:00 to 2:50p.m., 3:00 to 3:50p.m., 4:00 to 4:50p.m.

James V. Scotti (LPL Senior Research Specialist),``Where did Neil Armstrong leave his backpack? ’’ Kuiper 308, 6:00 to 6:50p.m.

Robert G. Strom (Professor Emeritus), ``40th Anniversary of Apollo 11 Lunar Landing,’’ Kuiper 308, 7:00 to 7:50p.m.

Physics Factory for Kids, Kuiper 330, 2:00 to 5:00p.m.

TAAA telescopes on the UA Mall for observing the Sun and a sliver of Moon from 2:00 to 3:00p.m. Telescopes will remain available until 8:00p.m. (weather permitting)

Available for question-and-answer:
Dolores Hill (LPL Senior Research Specialist)
Rik Hill (LPL Senior Research Specialist)
Professor Spencer R. Titley (Dept. of Geosciences)
Ewen Whitaker (LPL, retired)

Parking is FREE in the Cherry Avenue Garage and all surface lots. Parking information and maps are available here.

Participating organizations:
Aerolite Meteorites
Flandrau: The UA Science Center
International Dark-Sky Association
Jack Schrader
NOAO: National Optical Astronomy Observatory
Physics Factory
SEDS: Students for the Exploration and Development of Space
Tucson Amateur Astronomers Association
Tucson Space Society

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/calendar/calendar.php?ID=254
Bronco Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,571

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Bob View Post
The university of Arizona in Tucson, AZ, will be holding an Apollo 11 celebration Saturday, the 18th.
If you are in town, stop by.

Apollo Moon Landing 40th Anniversary

Saturday, 18 Jul 2009
2:00 pm — 8:00 pm
Location: Kuiper Space Sciences Building, Room 308, 312, 330, atrium
Kahn should go to this, he may be disappointed when Chris Kuper isn't there though!

broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

It was he biggest hoax of the Century.

http://www.bigmantra.com/man_on_moon...ar_lander.html

BTW, have any sat photos of the landings?

Last edited by watermock; 07-04-2009 at 08:30 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Show me one photo of the expedition(s) from orbit.

We've all seen the "one foot for mankind".

I'mn just curious, I googled and cant find one. thanks.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,589

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Is it true that Spider is on a mission to URAnus?













I can't resist a good Uranus joke!
Had a client who named her son Uranus. Felt like beating the woman.

Anyway, I remember sitting on the patio as a child, we brought the TV outside and watched this amazing feat. One of those events where you remember where you were.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Still waiting for the pictures from an orbiter showing the moon landing(s).
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Is it true that Spider is on a mission to URAnus?


I can't resist a good Uranus joke!


Was thinking of you and your Av while watching Apollo 13 today ...
I thought Ed Harris played the hell out of that role ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,397
Default


Penn & Teller Bullsh*t Conspiracy Theories - Moon Landing


Please Mock ... You will like that ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Yeah, the sun circles he Earth. What's new?

Show one hi-def photo of the moon landing(s)

C'mom... we have sats orbiting.

Last edited by watermock; 07-04-2009 at 09:29 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #16
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,397
Default

The Most Important Thing Armstrong Left on the Moon

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/21jul_llr.htm


The most famous thing Neil Armstrong left on the moon 35 years ago is a footprint, a boot-shaped depression in the gray moondust. Millions of people have seen pictures of it, and one day, years from now, lunar tourists will flock to the Sea of Tranquility to see it in person. Peering over the rails … "hey, mom, is that the first one?"

Will anyone notice, 100 feet away, something else Armstrong left behind?

Ringed by footprints, sitting in the moondust, lies a 2-foot wide panel studded with 100 mirrors pointing at Earth: the "lunar laser ranging retroreflector array." Apollo 11 astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong put it there on July 21, 1969, about an hour before the end of their final moonwalk. Thirty-five years later, it's the only Apollo science experiment still running.



http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missio...periments/lrr/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_L...ing_Experiment







TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #17
Bronco Bob
Tastee Freeze
 
Bronco Bob's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,517

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Show me one photo of the expedition(s) from orbit.

We've all seen the "one foot for mankind".

I'mn just curious, I googled and cant find one. thanks.
Well, I don't think the orbiter had any cameras with that kind of resolution.

But wait until the MRO goes on line. If it works as well as HiRise, you should get some good pictures then.
HiRise was able to actually film the landing of Phoenix on Mars, and later
took pictures of the lander, heat shield, and parachute on the surface
of Mars. So if MRO is that good, we should be able to spot them.
Bronco Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,571

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Show me one photo of the expedition(s) from orbit.

We've all seen the "one foot for mankind".

I'mn just curious, I googled and cant find one. thanks.
I love me some MOCK but you are uninformed.

Michael Collins stayed in orbit the whole time Armstong and Aldrin were dow there. From his distance at about 70 miles (more or less due to Mascons) it was impossible for him, or any other CSM pilot to distinguish the lander once it was out of range of the CSM during decent.

In Collin's book, "Carrying the Fire", he said he thought he saw a glint or reflection during one of his early passes but he chalked it up to wanting to see it more than actally seeing anything.

There are just as many web sites devoted to debunking the Apollo 11 conspiracies as there are conspiracies.

The biggest thing I tell unbelievers it that no one could have faked all the drama around the landing, Armstrong had to naviagate around the boulder field and The Great Gene Kranz was close to calling an Abort. No one could have written/came up with that plot device in real life, life always trumps Hollywood.

Anyway they went 6 more times, including the extended "J" missions where they were driving on the moon the last 3 times.

Another issue with Apollo 11 was that they didn't know exactly where Armstrong landed right away. They deployed a laser mirror during Apollo 11 to measure the exact distance between earth and moon but the laser, shot from earth, flooded a large area, it didn't need to pinpoint the exact spot. I think they still use those refectors to this day for measurements. I think it took MIT years to pinpoint roughly the exact landing spot.

You have to remember that the moon is rather large, the mountians range from under 1km to 5.5km, that is a couple miles high. Apollo 16 landed in the highlands, google some of those pics with the lunar rover in the frame, it is amazing! It is like putting the LM down a little west of Red Rocks west of Denver.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I love me some MOCK but you are uninformed.

Michael Collins stayed in orbit the whole time Armstong and Aldrin were dow there. From his distance at about 70 miles (more or less due to Mascons) it was impossible for him, or any other CSM pilot to distinguish the lander once it was out of range of the CSM during decent.

In Collin's book, "Carrying the Fire", he said he thought he saw a glint or reflection during one of his early passes but he chalked it up to wanting to see it more than actally seeing anything.

There are just as many web sites devoted to debunking the Apollo 11 conspiracies as there are conspiracies.

The biggest thing I tell unbelievers it that no one could have faked all the drama around the landing, Armstrong had to naviagate around the boulder field and The Great Gene Kranz was close to calling an Abort. No one could have written/came up with that plot device in real life, life always trumps Hollywood.

Anyway they went 6 more times, including the extended "J" missions where they were driving on the moon the last 3 times.

Another issue with Apollo 11 was that they didn't know exactly where Armstrong landed right away. They deployed a laser mirror during Apollo 11 to measure the exact distance between earth and moon but the laser, shot from earth, flooded a large area, it didn't need to pinpoint the exact spot. I think they still use those refectors to this day for measurements. I think it took MIT years to pinpoint roughly the exact landing spot.

You have to remember that the moon is rather large, the mountians range from under 1km to 5.5km, that is a couple miles high. Apollo 16 landed in the highlands, google some of those pics with the lunar rover in the frame, it is amazing! It is like putting the LM down a little west of Red Rocks west of Denver.
I knew that ****er was yellow
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,571

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
I knew that ****er was yellow
I hope you are happy, you made me cry.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 AM   #21
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
40 years ago this month men walked upon a new world for the 1st time. I was too young to watch but I do have the complete Video's on DVD of the Apollo 11 mission.

It is simply awe inspiring.

I signed my 6 year old up for a local town kids event, lots of crayons and juice I am sure, but if you can make it out to one of the events below then you rock.
Great stuff Broncosteven.

I have some pretty good space stuff.

Apollo 10: CBS coverage (Walter Cronkite) of pre-moon landing mission; 6 DVDs

Apollo 11: Men on the Moon; http://www.spacecraftfilms.com/index...WPROD&ProdID=2 4 DVDS

Apollo 15: Man Must Explore http://www.spacecraftfilms.com/index...PROD&ProdID=22 6 DVDs

Project Gemini: A Bold Leap Forward: http://www.amazon.com/review/product...By=addFourStar 3 DVDs

PM me and I'll hook ya up. The Gemeni DVDs are awesome.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #22
lostknight
In The Arena
 
lostknight's Avatar
 
ohwaitwtf

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default To the edge of Space

James May - of Top Gear Fame - did a BBC special last week on the Apollo pilots and flew a U2 up to what once was the edge of space - 17 miles up.

The Discovery series from last year - When we left Earth - is also staggeringly good.

Highly recommended. Available at your favorite eye patch site.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,571

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
James May - of Top Gear Fame - did a BBC special last week on the Apollo pilots and flew a U2 up to what once was the edge of space - 17 miles up.

The Discovery series from last year - When we left Earth - is also staggeringly good.

Highly recommended. Available at your favorite eye patch site.
I didn't like the When we left Earth series. It sucked ass, seach the forum, I had a gameday thread on it.

History Channel had a series 2-3 years ago that was good. I think it was the one based on Gene's book.

PBS had the Apollo 13 documentary which is hands down the best Apollo 13 documentary ever. That may have been the start of the Mancrush, his book came out just after that was on either Nova or Frontline. It came out before DVD was available.

The Hanks/Howard HBO series is excellent.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #24
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,803

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Had a client who named her son Uranus. Felt like beating the woman.

Anyway, I remember sitting on the patio as a child, we brought the TV outside and watched this amazing feat. One of those events where you remember where you were.
You should pull some strings with the state and have her children removed. We'll take one, and immediately change his/her name.

Stupid people in this state. If it isn't KySee, KenniDee, or RyLee, it's Uranus.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,571

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Here is a great Article about the behind the scenes people.

http://www.airspacemag.com/space-exp...mpaign=ASMJune
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Denver Broncos