The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Jello = pig skin (yuck)

Somebody told me the other day that Jello is actually made from cattle bones, cattle skin and pig skin. I was like, noway. Looked it up just now and OMG, that's pretty disgusting. Don't think I will be eating any Jello anytime soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

Gelatin (from French gélatine) is a translucent, colourless, brittle, nearly tasteless solid substance, derived from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones. It is commonly used as a gelling agent in food, pharmaceuticals, photography, and cosmetic manufacturing. Substances containing gelatin or functioning in a similar way are called gelatinous. Gelatin is an irreversibly hydrolyzed form of collagen. Gelatin is classified as a foodstuff, with E number E441. It is in some "gummy" candies as well as other products such as marshmallows and some low-fat yogurt. Some dietary customs forbid the use of gelatin from animal sources, and medical issues may limit or prevent its consumption by certain people.

Gelatin is a protein produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from the bones, connective tissues organs, and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, pigs, and horses. The natural molecular bonds between individual collagen strands are broken down into a form that rearranges more easily. Gelatin melts when heated and solidifies when cooled again. Together with water, it forms a semi-solid colloid gel. Gelatin forms a solution of high viscosity in water, which sets to a gel on cooling, and its chemical composition is, in many respects, closely similar to that of its parent collagen. [1] Gelatin solutions show viscoelastic flow and streaming birefringence. If gelatin is put into contact with cold water, some of the material dissolves. The solubility of the gelatin is determined by the method of manufacture. Typically, gelatin can be dispersed in a relatively concentrated acid. Such dispersions are stable for 10–15 days with little or no chemical changes and are suitable for coating purposes or for extrusion into a precipitating bath. Gelatin is also soluble in most polar solvents. Gelatin gels exist over only a small temperature range, the upper limit being the melting point of the gel, which depends on gelatin grade and concentration and the lower limit, the ice point at which ice crystallizes. The mechanical properties are very sensitive to temperature variations, previous thermal history of the gel, and time. The viscosity of the gelatin/water mixture increases with concentration and when kept cool (≈ 4 °C).

The worldwide production amount of gelatin is about 300,000 tons per year (roughly 600 million lbs.) [2]. On a commercial scale, gelatin is made from by-products of the meat and leather industry. Recently, fish by-products have also been considered because they eliminate most of the religious obstacles surrounding gelatin consumption [3].

Gelatin is derived mainly from pork skins, pork and cattle bones, or split cattle hides; contrary to popular belief, horns and hooves are not used.[4] The raw materials are prepared by different curing, acid, and alkali processes which are employed to extract the dried collagen hydrolysate. These processes [5] may take up to several weeks, and differences in such processes have great effects on the properties of the final gelatin products [6].

Gelatin can also be prepared at home. Boiling certain cartilaginous cuts of meat or bones will result in gelatin being dissolved into the water. Depending on the concentration, the resulting broth, when cooled, will naturally form a jelly or gel. This process, for instance, may be used for the pot-au-feu dish.

While there are many processes whereby collagen can be converted to gelatin, they all have several factors in common. The intermolecular and intramolecular bonds which stabilize insoluble collagen rendering it insoluble must be broken, and the hydrogen bonds which stabilize the collagen helix must also be broken [1]. The manufacturing processes of gelatin consists of three main stages:

1. Pretreatments to make the raw materials ready for the main extraction step and to remove impurities which may have negative effects on physicochemical properties of the final gelatin product,
2. The main extraction step, which is usually done with hot water or dilute acid solutions as a multistage extraction to hydrolyze collagen into gelatin, and finally,
3. The refining and recovering treatments including filtration, clarification, evaporation, sterilization, drying, rutting, grinding, and sifting to remove the water from the gelatin solution, to blend the gelatin extracted, and to obtain dried, blended and ground final gelatin.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Did you hear Jesus died for your sins?
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

You sound like a 13 year old girl who just found that out.
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Welcome to the real world?
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

BTW Michael Jackson died.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post
Meat is Murder.

I wonder if Zona knows what they can do with Soybeans these days?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
How learning something new means you are a 13 year old girl.......umm, no. I suppose you know everything and don't learn anything new ever. It's called one of those interesting facts alot of people don't realize. I mean, how often does one go look up the facts about Jello? For real, get a life.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
How learning something new means you are a 13 year old girl.......umm, no. I suppose you know everything and don't learn anything new ever. It's called one of those interesting facts alot of people don't realize. I mean, how often does one go look up the facts about Jello? For real, get a life.
Google where Leather comes from.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I like lime jello with vanilla ice cream. Yums!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
BTW Michael Jackson died.
Go eat some Jello...........lol.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Google where Leather comes from.
Go google what gay means, you might want to come out, it's probably going to be made legal that you can finally marry your man friend. Why don't you tell us what "12 inch softball" really means. Hahahahaha. I always wondered about you, and your love for the 12" softball. lol

Last edited by ZONA; 07-01-2009 at 07:59 PM..
Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Go google what gay means, you might want to come out, it's probably going to be made legal that you can finally marry your man friend. Why don't you tell us what "12 inch softball" really means. Hahahahaha. I always wondered about you, and your love for the 12" softball. lol
I can't play anymore since the car accident. I guess I should take that off my profile.

At least I pitched, I only caught a couple times but didn't like it.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
GoHAM
Ring of Famer

36, now that's shabby!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein

GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

So you don't want a side of jello with your Rocky Mountain Oysters?
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Quote:
people are just ribbing you man, nothing personal, seriously
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus4444 View Post
people are just ribbing you man, nothing personal, seriously
Just wait until ZONA finds out how baby's are made!

I can't stop myself Zona...just ask Kahn what I put him through with Kuper.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

this may be a dumb thought. but has anyone seen a vegetarian/vegan/animal rights activist boycott Jello?

i need to find out about this, will a hard core PETA person eat some Jello.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
"Yuck"

That comment is what makes you sound like a little girl.
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
"Yuck"

That comment is what makes you sound like a little girl.
Ahh, so what would not have sounded like a girl? Gross, ooohh, sick, disgusting? lol.

Actually Broncoman4ever, it was a vegan or whatever you call them, who told me about it when I was in the store. I was looking at what flavor of Jello to buy and she commented to me that "if you only knew". Of course she was super hot so I had to inquire and ask what she meant. If she was ugly, I would not have even said anything to her and probably still bought my Jello. Hahahaha, how beautiful people shape the world in so many ways..........LMAO.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #20
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

No more jello shots from a set of nice boobs.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Ahh, so what would not have sounded like a girl? Gross, ooohh, sick, disgusting? lol.

Actually Broncoman4ever, it was a vegan or whatever you call them, who told me about it when I was in the store. I was looking at what flavor of Jello to buy and she commented to me that "if you only knew". Of course she was super hot so I had to inquire and ask what she meant. If she was ugly, I would not have even said anything to her and probably still bought my Jello. Hahahaha, how beautiful people shape the world in so many ways..........LMAO.
Did you get his name and Number?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #22
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/1156021.stm
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #23
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

There's always room for pig anus, er, jello...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
There's always room for pig anus, er, jello...
At our last Pizza party my Mom was talking about some food show where this dude eats gizzards and other weird things.

I told her we loved that show so we found a pizza place that would serve Testicles and Pig Anus.

You should have seen her face! I nearly pissed my pants.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #25
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
It's more like learning that boys have a p3nis and girls have a v@gina much later than everyone else.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote