The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default I dispise Power rankings but I found this funny:

Guess who is listed #32?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...ages?gt1=39002

Well, Josh McDaniels, you'd better be right about Kyle Orton. Denver fans will not react well if Orton fails to lead Denver to the postseason, and especially if the Broncos' ex Jay Cutler gets to play deep into January. While Orton is 21-12 as an NFL starter and nearly pushed Chicago to the playoffs a year ago, he lacks the elite skillset of a Cutler. Some around Denver wonder if Orton will even beat out Chris Simms for the starting job. For reference, Simms' last starting experience came in 2006 in Tampa, where he went 0-3 with 1 TD and 7 INTs ... and somewhere, Broncos fans moan.

Looks like we need to get used to be listed at or or near the bottom of the polls at least until the 1st quarter of the season.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Guess who is listed #32?

Well, Josh McDaniels, you'd better be right about Kyle Orton. Denver fans will not react well if Orton fails to lead Denver to the postseason, and especially if the Broncos' ex Jay Cutler gets to play deep into January. While Orton is 21-12 as an NFL starter and nearly pushed Chicago to the playoffs a year ago, he lacks the elite skillset of a Cutler. Some around Denver wonder if Orton will even beat out Chris Simms for the starting job. For reference, Simms' last starting experience came in 2006 in Tampa, where he went 0-3 with 1 TD and 7 INTs ... and somewhere, Broncos fans moan.

Looks like we need to get used to be listed at or or near the bottom of the polls at least until the 1st quarter of the season.
Why do they always say this? Shanny couldn't get Broncos into playoffs with Cutler but, they say fans expect Denver to get in with Orton lol. Our D needs to get alot better before we reach postseason.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

To be fair it's positional power rankings so this was our ranking based on QB, which is pretty harsh. Simms is a great backup and Orton is a serviceable starter. To say we have the worst QB's in the whole league is ridiculous.

If this was defensive line, on the other hand, then I would completely agree with it.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

no mention of the OLine...

or of our new defensive coordinator

or of our new running back(s)

they talk about Simms and Orton vs. Cutler

****ty journalism
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post

****ty journalism
See Kaylore's post (or read the full article). It's not a full-team power ranking. It's just a positional one.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post

****ty journalism

See post #3
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
See post #3
Gotcha.....

Sorry, didnt have time to read the full thing....but when the original poster says we should get used to being listed at the bottom, i assume they are talking about the entire team

shouldnt the Jets be below us??

umm, Sanchez who has never played int he NFL and Kellen Clemens
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Interesting KC is at 15. Is Cassel really that good or did he get the keys to the offense that scored the most points in NFL history the season prior? Not to mention, NE had the lowest strength of schedule last year. I guess we'll see how good he is this year. I for one did not think Thigpen was all that bad and I don't see Cassel as a HUGE upgrade. I could be wrong but barring injury I don't see why Orton couldn't have lead NE to an 11-5 record last year.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler

Love me some grilled food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Guess who is listed #32?

This confuses me? If Orton nearly got Chicago to the platyoffs why is he so bad?
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80smith View Post
This confuses me? If Orton nearly got Chicago to the platyoffs why is he so bad?
he isn't bad, he is underrated and overlooked because he doesn't have the cannon arm, or the inflated ego. he played in Chicago where offense isn't really looked at.

He is going to shock a lot of people this season. Message to Orton haters, "Don't be surprised if we end up signing him long term after the season."
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
Tom A Hawk
Ring of Famer

Cutler playing into late January isn't going to happen and Orton taking the Donks to the playoffs isn't going to happen...32 ranking isn't correct.
Tom A Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I think Orton can be solid for us but, I still prefer a franchise calibur QB at the helm at some point in next few seasons. Or if we can at least field a strong D soon.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 07-01-2009 at 11:18 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I think these rankings are taking the entire group of QBs on a team and then projecting their potential success. Not only do the Broncos just have 3 QBs on their roster, they also have one guy in Simms whose been out of the game for the better part of 3 years. It's not like the rankings say "Orton stinks" its saying that Orton is not "elite" talent. In other words, Orton has had his ups and his downs. So if you look at Orton, Simms and Brandstetter(sp?) as a package, an argument can be made that they are not the best group in the NFL.

Eh, ok fine.

Personally I think the same argument can be made for a team like Carolina. Delhomme (sp?) has had his ups and downs too and he is not real consistent. The only difference between Orton and Delhomme is the playing time/games started and the fact that HC Fox is still there so the system is stable.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler

Love me some grilled food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I think these rankings are taking the entire group of QBs on a team and then projecting their potential success. Not only do the Broncos just have 3 QBs on their roster, they also have one guy in Simms whose been out of the game for the better part of 3 years. It's not like the rankings say "Orton stinks" its saying that Orton is not "elite" talent. In other words, Orton has had his ups and his downs. So if you look at Orton, Simms and Brandstetter(sp?) as a package, an argument can be made that they are not the best group in the NFL.

Eh, ok fine.

Personally I think the same argument can be made for a team like Carolina. Delhomme (sp?) has had his ups and downs too and he is not real consistent. The only difference between Orton and Delhomme is the playing time/games started and the fact that HC Fox is still there so the system is stable.
I see. Thanks.
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #15
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

how odd that they left out Cutler's record in Denver
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
To be fair it's positional power rankings so this was our ranking based on QB, which is pretty harsh. Simms is a great backup and Orton is a serviceable starter. To say we have the worst QB's in the whole league is ridiculous.

If this was defensive line, on the other hand, then I would completely agree with it.
Hmm, I don't see a whole lot of teams I'd place us above. I guess we could be around #29 or 28.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
Hmm, I don't see a whole lot of teams I'd place us above. I guess we could be around #29 or 28.
I don't think we're worse than teams like the Niners, though. Even if you take out supporting cast and look at the abilities of the QB's on their own I have trouble arguing that our guys are the worst set of QB's in all of football. Both guys have played in the postseason and both are young and relatively healthy. Brandstater is a scrub, so that's fine. I could see mid to late 20's, but dead last? This is just a case of the media echo chamber effect where they all just start piling on.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #18
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

It's not about Orton hate, it's about how much addition by subtraction has gone on.

Rgarding getting another franchise QB. Forget about it next year, that boat has left.

32 IMO is more about the turbulence this offseason. I mean, what's he diff between 25 and 32?

Last edited by watermock; 07-01-2009 at 12:57 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Why do they always say this? Shanny couldn't get Broncos into playoffs with Cutler but, they say fans expect Denver to get in with Orton lol. Our D needs to get alot better before we reach postseason.
Just goes to show how clueless these writers are. With the defensive problems we had last year its going to be a work in progress before Denver is a playoff calibur team.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #20
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Orton had a serviceable defense on his team. Cutler did not.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
...what's he diff between 25 and 32?

But seriously, if our defense improves 7 positions I'll do cartwheels.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #22
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Because Orton blows and he had a solid defense, special teams, and run game to help him!!! To be honest he could barely beat Grossman and Griese for the job( which he lost sometimes). I know Denver won't be a play-off team, but I don't think they are the worst team in the league. I would like to think the improved running game and defense (solid coaching) will at least win us a couple of games.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #23
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Interesting KC is at 15. Is Cassel really that good or did he get the keys to the offense that scored the most points in NFL history the season prior? Not to mention, NE had the lowest strength of schedule last year. I guess we'll see how good he is this year. I for one did not think Thigpen was all that bad and I don't see Cassel as a HUGE upgrade. I could be wrong but barring injury I don't see why Orton couldn't have lead NE to an 11-5 record last year.
One of the only QBs I would like less than Orton is Cassel. He will be out of the league in three years... around the same time that T$ Bandstander is going to his first Pro Bowl.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #24
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Orton had a serviceable defense on his team. Cutler did not.
It goes both ways.

For all the flash we had on offense we didn't produce much. The offense drastically underperformed after the first three games and the defense never performed. We complain about how the offense never got help from the defense but the defense didn't get much help from the offense.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #25
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I just got back from a mission trip in Jamaica and met Ray Edwards, starting DE for the Minnesota Vikings, in the Montego Bay airport. I told him that I was a Broncos fan and he said "good luck with Orton". I asked him to clarify his comment and he went on to say that "fans should not expect Orton to make any passes longer than 20 yards" and said "his arm is pretty weak".

I proceeded to sucker punch him in his junk and call him a beeotch. That's a lie. I just told him don't be surprised if Orton does better with an offensive-minded coach directing things in Denver. He was very cool and took a picture with some people in our group.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote