The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default Five offensive players who may surprise you...#1-Kyle Orton

As we inch closer to the start of training camps next month, who are the players you should keep an eye on? The players who could have breakout seasons for their respective clubs?

Today, letís look at five on the offensive side of the football who could surprise us in 2009 with their production.

1. Kyle Orton, QB, Denver

Iíll be the first to admit that I was tough on Orton during his tenure in Chicago, but letís be honest: He wasnít the right fit for an offense thatís predicated on running the ball and using play action to expose defensive secondaries down the field. But Orton steps into Josh McDanielís new offensive system in Denver, where he has a big-time WR in Brandon Marshall, plus some talent in the backfield in rookie Knowshon Moreno ó someone who can be an excellent dual-threat back at this level.

Orton operates best when heís in the shotgun, when he has time to throw and when the offense requires him to make short-to-intermediate passes to an area on the field. It worked for Matt Cassel last season in New England, and it should work for Orton in í09. Remember, the Broncos brought in Orton for a reason ó to run this exact system.

2. Patrick Crayton, WR, Dallas

I have always liked Craytonís game at the wide receiver position, and with the departure of Terrell Owens, I expect him to play a major role in the passing game for the Cowboys and quarterback Tony Romo. Yes, we can all agree that Romoís No. 1 target in any down-and-distance situation will be TE Jason Witten, but the ĎBoys still need a receiver who can make plays down the field on first and second downs.

Crayton averaged more than 14 yards a catch in í08, and although WR Miles Austin might be the ultimate deep threat for this Cowboys team, heís still a No. 3. Crayton should fit nicely into the No. 2 role and might even be more productive by seasonís end than expected No. 1 Roy Williams.

3. Ladell Betts, RB, Washington

The Redskins canít afford to run Clinton Portis into the ground again this season, and they canít afford to stall on offense again in the second half of the season. For those reasons, I expect Betts to carry a more prominent role in the offense and share more of the workload in the backfield.

He has a different style than Portis, and although he doesnít have the exact burst and top-line speed of Portis, he can break tackles and is a valuable receiver out of the backfield. Weíve heard the coaching staff has been high on Betts all offseason, and I donít see why that would change come training camp. He should be a player in the fall and see his share of touches if this Redskinsí team wants to make any sort of playoff push come late November and early December.

4. Greg Olsen, TE, Chicago

Itís hard not to focus on the tight end position in Chicago, especially when you talk to Bears GM Jerry Angelo, whoís confident Olsen will produce in offensive coordinator Ron Turnerís scheme with Jay Cutler now at quarterback. If the Bears donít make any last-minute adjustments at WR ó which seems to look more probable with every day that passes ó I expect Olsen to be the type of target for Cutler that Witten is for Romo in Dallas.

Turner does get creative with Olsen, especially when he and fellow TE Desmond Clark are on the field at the same time. Olsen has the athletic ability to line up removed from the formation on the backside of 3x1 sets, matched up against a corner or a safety on an island ó where he can use his body to shield defenders and run inside breaking routes. He should and will be one of the featured attractions in this offense and could have a big season.

5. Joey Galloway, WR, New England

I like the idea of Galloway in New England because it allows the Patriots to be even more creative on offense -- and with the return of QB Tom Brady, the former Buc should have a major effect on this entire unit. At this level, itís all about match-ups when it comes to running a successful passing game ó and Galloway will not only win most of those, he will allow New England to feature three wide receivers, counting Randy Moss and Wes Welker, with speed on the field at all times. Team will have to counter with sub packages, and this is when New England is at its best in both the run and pass.

Plus, Galloway is still a deep-ball guy ó and a good one. Any time you have a player on the field who can change the outcome of a ballgame with one play, heís worth every dollar spent. Donít expect huge numbers from Galloway, but do expect him to be the difference in a couple of victories for the Pats this season.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-surprise.html
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
SoDak Bronco

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Cue up the Orton haters
Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Proof is in the pudding.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think that's a good list. Not all will really work out, but I bet three of the five have good seasons.

One thing no one has talked about is Cutler isn't a very good PA QB yet. He hasn't had many opportunities to take a snap under center and run a play action pass. In fact playing under center in general is something he was just starting to get into. It's going to be interesting to see that adjustment.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
SoDak Bronco

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I had forgotten Galloway went to New England..they def. have the best receiving crops in the league. wow, Joey will def. have a few huge games, with all the attention Moss and Welker are sure to command. Big thing with New England will be if Brady is his old self or if he has some mobility issues, he is a great pocket slider to avoid the rush, not sure if he will be doing that as easily, but New England should be really good again.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

I cant remember, did NE run a lot of shotgun last year with Cassel?
This season is really going to be interesting. If all is true and Orton just wasn't a good fit in Chicago.......I really hope he feels comfortable in Denver
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
This season is really going to be interesting. If all is true and Orton just wasn't a good fit in Chicago.......I really hope he feels comfortable in Denver
New ENgland went in and out of shotgun at random times from what I remember. They would go from running a straight single back, two tight end set one series and then switch gears and be running 3 wide shotgun sets the next

Unpredictability
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I don't doubt Orton's potential in McD's Spread Offense. I just hope he gets comfortable with the system sooner rather than later.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Moreno is the key. If he is as good as billed...then Orton will be successful.

If Orton has the same backfield issues that Cutler got treated to last year....yikes.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post

If Orton has the same backfield issues that Cutler got treated to last year....yikes.
I'm more concerned about the defense issue. Can Orton overcome a crappy defense on his team? I have my doubts.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
I'm more concerned about the defense issue. Can Orton overcome a crappy defense on his team? I have my doubts.
orton wont have to score 35 points to possibly win this year. probably only 30
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Cassell was average to below average under center but once he went to primarily the shotgun he did well. I give McD alot of credit for reconizing the change that had to be made
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Exactly......but something tells me this defense will be able to contain teams from scoring 35. Nolan should be able to turn this thing around.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Cassell was average to below average under center but once he went to primarily the shotgun he did well. I give McD alot of credit for reconizing the change that had to be made
Ok, but we cant always run the shotgun, we have to be able to run some plays from under center and be able to make defenses scratch their heads
Old 07-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #15
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
One thing no one has talked about is Cutler isn't a very good PA QB yet. He hasn't had many opportunities to take a snap under center and run a play action pass. In fact playing under center in general is something he was just starting to get into. It's going to be interesting to see that adjustment.
Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens when Cutler has a great running back in the backfield for the first time in his career and he is able to catch the defense over pursuing.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Exactly......but something tells me this defense will be able to contain teams from scoring 35. Nolan should be able to turn this thing around.
I think the offense will be more ball control based...runs, short/intermediate passes and hopefully, by design, this will keep the defense on the sidelines more often than it was last season.

I also think the sheer size of our defense will help us, as simple as that sounds. It appears our 3-4 is somewhat like Baltimore's, which almost acts like a 5-2. We'll have three lineman (all 300 lbs or over) and two quick OLB's that will be in the 270 range. That's a defense that will be harder to push around. I personally was sick of watching our smaller lineman get blown off the ball.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Ok, but we cant always run the shotgun, we have to be able to run some plays from under center and be able to make defenses scratch their heads
haha its not as if he's completely useless from under center, he's just better from the gun. You remember who else was? John Elway.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #18
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post

Wait, but we averaged a bunch of yards per carry for the season. So that in no way explains why, even though our running game was non existent for the final few games, we missed out on the playoffs. After all, seasonal averages serve as great indicators of how good our team was on a game by game basis and that should tell you how bad Cutler was.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Here's how it is...

Our offense got worse than our defense got better + Extremely Tough Schedule = Seattle has the unfortunate obligation to pay some draft pick A LOT of money next year.

It's okay Pat, these are tough times.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

dont you get sick of whining about how bad your favorite team will be next year instead ofjust enjoying hte season? god damn, its sickening. quit ****ing crying about **** you cant and never will be able to control and try lightening the **** up, preseason isnt even here and you are calling this season wasted. what the **** is wrong with you?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
SoDak Bronco

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp View Post
Here's how it is...

Our offense got worse than our defense got better + Extremely Tough Schedule = Seattle has the unfortunate obligation to pay some draft pick A LOT of money next year.

It's okay Pat, these are tough times.

I bet you we aren't picking in the top ten next season, care to make a wager? Say $20.00?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
I bet you we aren't picking in the top ten next season, care to make a wager? Say $20.00?
We meaning the Broncos or the Seahawks?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #23
SoDak Bronco

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
We meaning the Broncos or the Seahawks?
I am betting TheChamp Denver's first rounder next season, which via the trade is Seahawks won't be a top 10 pick...Lets see if he puts his money where his mouth is
Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Oh, I have no doubt that Orton will surprise the **** out of me all season long....
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #25
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Then you better hope we have a running game because Orton sucks when he has to throw more than 20 passes a game (in or out of the shotgun )
Below 60 QB rating and 50% completion %, 5 yard per pass attempt. With our D right now those two forces don't mix well. Only chance we have is that our D starts generating turnovers ala MIA in '08 because teams will run on us maybe not early on but later as coaches get tape on our new schemes
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote