The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default Strength Of Schedule

I've still seen some people talking about how brutal our schedule is this year. Here is the list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=4027503

This puts us towards the top of the bottom half. Doesn't really mean too much, but, according to this, we are not as bad off as some people think we are.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
I've still seen some people talking about how brutal our schedule is this year. Here is the list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=4027503

This puts us towards the top of the bottom half. Doesn't really mean too much, but, according to this, we are not as bad off as some people think we are.
I've been meaning to post something to this effect as well, The thing is there are a lot of teams that are good year in and year out on the list. That makes SOS a little less relevant. Baltimore, Indy, Pittsburgh, Eagles, NYG, Patriots, Dallas, Redskins, San Diego X 2. 10 games against teams that have been in at least one, most many more, playoff games in the last three years. The SOS gets brought down a little with Cle, Cin, KC X2 and Oak X2, but dont fool yourself into thinking this is an easier than normal schedule, we have sme rough games ahead of us.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i agree. the NFC East is what everyon seems to point to. and that isn't as great as people make it out to be. the Giants biggest strength was the defense, and now with Spags gone it took a hit and when we play them their line goes against our OL and it creates a wash, add in they have no receiving weapons and i say we win that game. Washington is nothing special, i don;t care how much money they spend. Dallas is the annual overhyped team that is a major letdown, and Phily only gets good at the end of the season when their playoff hopes are on the line.

the schedule is nowhere near as hard as people claim it is
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I genuinely think Cincinnati is going to be pretty good this year.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I genuinely think Cincinnati is going to be pretty good this year.
I think Mangini has a chance at getting the Browns to adequate as well, the pieces are there if he can ever get the guys who catch balls to stop b****ing. Then again Dallas could be different without TO, NY might miss Spags, Baltimore could suffer through Flaccos Sophomore slump, Pitt could have a SB hangover, Indy minus Dungy could be a disaster, and SD's window could be closing. There are arguments on all sides, but overall I think the dominant trend for the majority of teams we face is a winning one, and that regardless of totaled W/L columns very few of our games next year will feature the Broncos as 7+ point favorites...
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

bengals are like the dolphins and rams of years past...we should killl them, how'd that work out? All i know is we better come to play, cause any NFL team is tough, espeically when you have a mediocre defense...
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i agree. the NFC East is what everyon seems to point to. and that isn't as great as people make it out to be. the Giants biggest strength was the defense, and now with Spags gone it took a hit and when we play them their line goes against our OL and it creates a wash, add in they have no receiving weapons and i say we win that game. Washington is nothing special, i don;t care how much money they spend. Dallas is the annual overhyped team that is a major letdown, and Phily only gets good at the end of the season when their playoff hopes are on the line.

You kidding me? The NFC East is going to be extremely difficult and saying we will beat the Giants right now is laughable. They still have the defensive talent, a top 5 ground game and a dependable QB.
Washington has a very good defense, a solid ground game.
Dallas has amazing talent on offense, and a decent enough defense.
Philly is solid on both sides.

Each one of those teams IMO has a shot at the playoffs. That division is that good.

The schedule is difficult, but maybe we'll catch some breaks along the way.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Damn.... Chicago has the easiest schedule.

I never understood, why McDaniels traded away our own pick in next years 1st round draft, instead of the Bears' pick.

The schedule was released before the draft.

I am sure there were provisions to trade away the lower of the 2 picks to Seattle.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Too bad they only factor past seasons records in this. I don't have any idea how we will really do.
How I look at it is 10 games teams are flat better and then us. KC is in close shape as us. I do think Oakland has enough talent can split with us. Clev and Cincy are not sure wins esp being early in growth process of our new system.

Looks like a tough schedule to me now we'll see how fast this team comes together.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 06-26-2009 at 08:44 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Strength of schedule is way overrated. Historically the pre-season "strength of schedule" is turned updside-down lots of the time.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
You kidding me? The NFC East is going to be extremely difficult and saying we will beat the Giants right now is laughable. They still have the defensive talent, a top 5 ground game and a dependable QB.
Washington has a very good defense, a solid ground game.
Dallas has amazing talent on offense, and a decent enough defense.
Philly is solid on both sides.

Each one of those teams IMO has a shot at the playoffs. That division is that good.

The schedule is difficult, but maybe we'll catch some breaks along the way.
the Cowboys are basically the NFC Chargers. great talent on paper a team everyone thinks will compete and be elite, and then they shoot themselves in the foot and are fighting for a wild card spot at the end of the year.

no doubt Washington is decent, good defense and a solid(but aging)ground game, that doesn't change the fact that they have no legit receiving weapons and Campbell is far from a great QB.

Philly is solid, yes that is true, but every year they are that one team that shows up one week and is crap the next, they are streaky and with them it just depends what streak they're on when we play them.

and yes it may be premature to call the Giants game a win already, however, it is way too soon to call it a loss. Spags was responsible for the defense and he is gone. Ward was an important part of their running game and he is gone, Burress was the most important receiver for them and he is gone. they took a lot of hits to the team and they are no longer as unbeatable as so many claim them to be. yes their Dline is great, but it will be playing against our great OL and that will basically be a back and forth battle. it is going to come down to offensive playmakers and we have more than they do.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I don't care what any ESPN list says. We have a tough schedule. We shouldn't use that as an excuse, though. We're supposed to be able to compete at this level. But that schedule does NOT look like a walk in the park.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

The only teams with a weaker schd. are Da Bears, Pitt and Vikings.
they prob play NFC west.

It think SF might improve, now that they've gotten rid of Nolan. They have some offensive talent now.

Last edited by watermock; 06-26-2009 at 09:47 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #14
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I hope it is tough we will get an idea how much more work is needed to become a true SB team.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #15
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Well, I really think there's a 50-50 chance it will be radically less difficult. Teams that had Arizona, Miami, Carolina, Atlanta on their schedule last year were celebrating, so you really never know.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
I never understood, why McDaniels traded away our own pick in next years 1st round draft, instead of the Bears' pick.

I am sure there were provisions to trade away the lower of the 2 picks to Seattle.
Rookie mistake ... he got schooled. It would've been smart to stipulate the lower of the two picks, nothing unusual, he just wasn't experienced enough to understand how to manage that. The post-draft Jim Mora show here, there were laughing about it, joking about cheering against Denver and noting all the changes.

Still might work out, though.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #17
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Rookie mistake ... he got schooled. It would've been smart to stipulate the lower of the two picks, nothing unusual, he just wasn't experienced enough to understand how to manage that. The post-draft Jim Mora show here, there were laughing about it, joking about cheering against Denver and noting all the changes.

Still might work out, though.
Seattle was making the stipulations, Buff. Denver's only choice was to do it Seattle's way, or don't do it. It certainly was risky to accede to Seattle's stipulation.

Now, obviously, we'll have to wait and see if the bird in the hand vs. one in the bush philosophy pays off.

As for SOS, yah, it's gonna be difficult. Hopefully having better competitors on the team makes them rise to the challenge.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #18
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Again, SOS is overrated. Last year we beat teams we probably shouldnt have and lost to teams we shouldnt have.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #19
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Seattle was making the stipulations, Buff. Denver's only choice was to do it Seattle's way, or don't do it. It certainly was risky to accede to Seattle's stipulation.

Now, obviously, we'll have to wait and see if the bird in the hand vs. one in the bush philosophy pays off.

As for SOS, yah, it's gonna be difficult. Hopefully having better competitors on the team makes them rise to the challenge.
Boy, show me. McBeavis said it didn't really matter, that is was a tossup so it didn't matter. HIS WORDS.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #20
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

you are out of your ever lovin mind the NFCE will kick our asses and to think we win more than 6-7 games is ridiculous although I hope we do and make the playoffs
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #21
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
the Cowboys are basically the NFC Chargers. great talent on paper a team everyone thinks will compete and be elite, and then they shoot themselves in the foot and are fighting for a wild card spot at the end of the year.

no doubt Washington is decent, good defense and a solid(but aging)ground game, that doesn't change the fact that they have no legit receiving weapons and Campbell is far from a great QB.

Philly is solid, yes that is true, but every year they are that one team that shows up one week and is crap the next, they are streaky and with them it just depends what streak they're on when we play them.

and yes it may be premature to call the Giants game a win already, however, it is way too soon to call it a loss. Spags was responsible for the defense and he is gone. Ward was an important part of their running game and he is gone, Burress was the most important receiver for them and he is gone. they took a lot of hits to the team and they are no longer as unbeatable as so many claim them to be. yes their Dline is great, but it will be playing against our great OL and that will basically be a back and forth battle. it is going to come down to offensive playmakers and we have more than they do.
If the Cowboys are the NFC's Chargers then they're going to kill us like San Diego has since 2006.

Santana Moss and Chris Cooley are not legit receiving threats?
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote