The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default Feeling irrationally blue about your Broncos? Well maybe...

This article (which I did not write but consider very valuable and want to pass it on) first appeared in my newsletter in 2001. Since then I have sent it again one or two times. As there are many new readers and it's been some time since I have sent this very valuable information about Depression, I am sending it again. I have updated it with several new notes from me in Green. If you or anyone you love deals with depression I recommend that you print this article and save it as it discusses the many alternative approaches to depression.

Depression
Today's topic is one I consider of paramount importance, and one I know a great deal about: Depression. This is a subject I know a great deal about from a personal, familial, educational (work on a Master's Degree in Social Work), and professional point of view. I hope to write a great deal more about depression and in much more detail within the next several years.

The major portion of this newsletter is an article that I found some years ago. I hope that you find it helpful and informative. It contains extremely useful information about the natural alternatives available for depression, including exact dosages, and cautions.

I am also including a testimonial from a woman that I have corresponded with about her own personal depression story and its relation to raw food. She sent the following very well written article.

Note: There are many readers who are opposed to supplements. The reality is that depression is a chemical imbalance and these supplements can be literal lifesavers.

As you will see from Jennifer's testimony, diet is all-important.

Please don't forget that!

Testimonial from Jennifer:

How do you Feel? What did you Eat?
Whenever I catch myself feeling down, tired, angry, upset, frustrated, or irritable, I can look back and see that I actually ate poison within the last 4-24 hours. Poison? Yes: refined sugar, refined starch, additives, colors, "preservatives", pasteurized, cooked, or chemical poisons.

My name is Jennifer, and I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, yet over the last five years I have become my own doctor, nutritionist, and patient. I am someone who was blessed to receive knowledge about the importance of a simple, raw food diet. I now know that what we eat has a direct effect on how we feel. It is basic physics, basic chemistry, and an understanding of the simple law of cause and effect.

I was diagnosed with clinical depression at age 16, but I know I was sad, nervous and insecure long before that. To the outside world I was friendly but shy, very pretty, honor roll, and involved in some after school activities. Behind any locked door (bedroom, bathroom, closet, you name it) I broke down into tears 1-4 times a day, mentally berated myself for every little mistake I made, was fearful of every morsel I put in my mouth, and eventually thought about suicide. Yes, there were things going on at home, yes there was stress, and yes there was the "Standard American Diet". But I knew MANY others who had far more difficulties in their lives who seemed to cope much better than I.

So my parents, God Bless them, sent me through the medical rounds for 7 years. For all the doctors, therapy sessions, and prescription medications that my parents paid for, not once did anyone seriously question me about my diet, or recommend any dietary changes. I would eat little bites of anything - and larger helpings of dessert. Cookies, cake, ice cream, kids cereals, bagels, pasta, etc. I was into simple sugars, which was perfectly harmless, right?

Fast forward to age 25 - all I could do in my adult life was wake up, cry, go to work, cry, go to the corner store to pick up something sweet, lock myself into the apartment, and cry or watch TV until I fell asleep.

It was a chiropractor that first explained the relationship between processed foods and disease, including depression. He recommended a diet of fresh fruits, vegetables and fish - no refined starches or sugars, no food with additives & preservatives, nothing in a package. "Just try it one day a week," he said. And I did. On January 29, 1996 I ate only fresh fruit: bananas, oranges, apples & pineapple. The next day was the first day in over 10 years that I didn't cry!

That was the beginning of a journey towards a happier & healthier life. I've since dropped the fish, and am basically a raw fruitarian (75-100%, depending on the day). I also do at least 20 minutes of exercise a day. Do I get the blues occasionally? Sure. But any time I go more than a couple days on processed foods, my mood reflects the change. Often I'll notice the change within 6 hours.

I am honored that Nomi has invited me to share my experiences with Food & Depression. We are all individuals, with different strengths and weaknesses. Here are my personal recommendations to anyone who is developing a raw food lifestyle to improve their health in any way:

1. Read Books: It is always important to feed your mind.

On the issue of depression, I personally recommend Sugar Blues by William Dufty. And, of course, the introduction to Nomi Shannon's book The Raw Gourmet, gives a lot of simple information about how raw foods work in the body.

2. Remove the Starch - bread, pasta, and rice are heavy, hard to digest and have virtually no usable vitamins, minerals or enzymes.

a. Substitute Fruit for Sweets - I ate a lot of bananas to curb my urge for cake and other sweet breads.
b. Substitute Vegetables for Breads - Put your favorite sauces and seasonings on veggies - lightly steamed in the beginning if necessary. Slice zucchini for your salsa, guacamole, and dips!

3. Go Vegetarian! Or at least reduce your intake of meat.

4. Exercise! At least 20 minutes a day. Go for a brisk walk, join a gym, swim. Do something active every day for at least 20 minutes. It's fun!

Be kind and loving and gentle with yourself. This is a process. Enjoy it. Some parts will be easier than others - don't punish yourself. In time your subconscious mind will make the connection that those old "Comfort Foods" are not comfortable at all.

Your friend in Health and Happiness,
Jennifer.

That's if for now. God Bless.

Without further ado, here is the article I told you about
This article was not written by me, but I have made several comments throughout. Please, do not try all the suggested supplements at the same time! I hope this is of benefit to those who need this information. This article was first published in 2001. All credits are below.

Stepping Out
by Linda White, MD
Crossing the threshold into mental wellness

Article Info:
Issue: Delicious! 03/01 (magazine available in health food stores)

Department: Features
Author: Linda B. White, M.D.

Mental illness has long carried a stigma of shame, something to be kept secret. Yet the more we learn about brain chemistry, the more we realize it's not a sign of character weakness but rather biological physiology.

In his US Surgeon General's report from December 1999, David Satcher, MD, PhD, stated, "Few families in the United States are untouched by mental illness."

In any given year, an estimated one in five Americans experiences some sort of diagnosable mental disorder. At some time in our lives, half of us have suffered from a psychiatric condition. These statistics are indeed sobering-and, for anyone who's had an experience with mental illness, they are also comforting.

You are not alone.

When dealing with mental illness, it's important to understand the roles of medication and a good doctor. While this article focuses on proactive measures for empowering oneself, there may be a time and place for pharmaceuticals. Many people who have been afflicted with mental illness have considered prescription drugs a saving grace, enabling them to function in society on a day-to-day basis.

(Nomi's note: Prescription medications for depression would be the very last thing I would recommend. In my experience and opinion, most Psychiatrists do little more than dispense Prescriptions, therefore I would seek out alternative therapy rather than Medical Doctors. However, if you are suicidal, short term use of prescription medicine could save your life, so, as in all things, moderation and common sense need to prevail.)

There are also a variety of other therapies and lifestyle practices that can help alleviate mental illness, including nutrition, exercise, adequate rest and relaxation, a positive attitude and a rich support network. Nutrition has a great influence on brain chemistry as well. What you eat influences the health of nerve cells and levels of neurotransmitters, the nervous system's chemical messengers.

(Nomi's note: Please see Jennifer's testimony. Understand that any type of supplement or herb that you consume will work much more effectively if you are eating properly. And if you are desperate or suicidal seek professional help with your Physician, explain how you are feeling to medical personnel so that you will be seen right away.)

Mood Lifters to Beat Depression
Nutrient deficiencies can cause low levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter linked to mood, and many studies have found that depression is often associated with serotonin deficiency. Several natural remedies can boost levels of this important neurotransmitter, including exercise, 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), omega-3 essential fatty acids EFAs) and B vitamins.

To produce serotonin, the body first converts the amino acid L-tryptophan to 5-HTP. "Although tryptophan is a component of most protein-rich foods, dietary manipulation isn't a practical way to increase brain levels of tryptophan," says Timothy C. Birdsall, ND, director of naturopathic medicine at the Midwestern Regional Medical Center in Zion, Ill. He explains, "As little as 1 percent of dietary L-tryptophan may be transported into the central nervous system." However, in people with a personal or family history of depression, a diet devoid of tryptophan can cause moods to crash in a matter of hours (Biology of Psychiatry, 2000, vol. 4). Unfortunately, in 1989 contaminated tryptophan was linked with a serious disorder called eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), causing this supplement to be removed from the US market.

(Note from Nomi: Good news in 2008 or 2009 Tryptophan became available again.)

However, 5-HTP, a conversion one step closer to serotonin, is available. And, according to Birdsall, 5-HTP easily crosses into the brain. Fifteen human studies have shown that, in people with depression and bipolar disorder, 5-HTP performs significantly better than placebo and as well as the antidepressants fluoxetine (Luvox) and imipramine (Norfranil), but with fewer side effects. Furthermore, symptom relief begins within three to 14 days--much faster than the four to six weeks needed for most prescription antidepressants (Alternative Medicine Review, 1998, vol. 3).

According to Michael A. Schmidt, PhD, author of Smart Fats (North Atlantic Books), our culture consumes too much saturated fat and omega-6 essential fatty acids (EFAs), thanks to the corn and soybean oils used in so many processed foods. We do not get enough of the omega-3 EFAs found in cold-water fish (mackerel, cod, herring, salmon and anchovy), green leafy vegetables, pumpkin seeds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, flaxseed oil and hemp seed oil. These omega-3s play a role in healthy brain cell and neurotransmitter function, especially the omega-3s from fish, docosapentaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). It's not surprising then that depressed people often show low levels of omega-3s in their diets and cell membranes (Journal of Affective Disorders, 1998, vol. 48). One study found that taking 9.6 grams daily of omega-3 fatty acids for four months benefited people with bipolar disorder significantly more than placebo (Archives of General Psychiatry, 1999, vol. 56).

(Nomi's note: This is a major reason why I recommend 4 Tablespoons a day of Flax Seed oil, most people are extremely deficient in Omega 3's. In some cases, I have recommended up to 8 tablespoons a day, due to exisiting deficiencies and I have heard of people consuming 16 tablespoons of flax oil daily for therapeutic reasons. I prefer Barlean's brand, which is in the refrigerated section of your health food store, be sure to purchase the highest lignan type, and stir thoroughly prior to using for the first time. I keep mine in the freezer and take it out a few minutes before I need it.)

In addition to EFAs, several B vitamins are needed to maintain the nerve systems involved in mood regulation. It's estimated that one-third of adults with depression are deficient in folic acid, the vitamin most closely linked to depression and bipolar disorder. Furthermore, people with low folic acid levels who added dietary supplements to their menu to make up for the deficit responded better to antidepressants, including Prozac and lithium carbonate, a drug used to treat bipolar disorder (Journal of Affective Disorder, 2000, vol. 60; 1986, vol. 10).

Both folic acid and vitamin B12 are needed to convert amino acids to S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe), which is a necessary element to produce serotonin and other neurotransmitters. Because some studies show that it has a fast-acting antidepressant effect (Drugs, 1994, vol. 48), producing results within four days, SAMe is often used to hasten the onset of action of imipramine (Psychiatry Research, 1992, vol. 44).

(Note from Nomi: SAMe is sold at both Costco and Sams Club)

Herbs can also provide freedom from depression. "Dozens of studies have demonstrated St. John's wort's (Hypericum perforatum) remarkable ability to alleviate mild to moderate depression," says Hyla Cass, MD, assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at UCLA School of Medicine and author of St. John's Wort: Nature's Blues Buster (Avery Publishing Group). Several studies show that this roadside herb is as effective as Prozac, Zoloft and tricyclic antidepressants and with fewer side effects (British Medical Journal, 1996, vol. 313).

Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba), though better known as a treatment for dementia, has been shown in many studies of older people to lighten mood and lift depression (Fortschritte der Medizin, 1990, vol. 108). Scott Shannon, MD, integrative psychiatrist and president-elect of the American Holistic Medical Association (AHMA), finds this herb, in combination with St. John's wort, helpful to depressed patients with prominent symptoms, including low energy, apathy and fatigue.

Create Calm to Oust Anxiety
Poor dietary habits can trigger or aggravate anxiety. For example, eating a meal high in simple carbohydrates can cause blood sugar levels to soar, then plummet. Missing a meal also leads to low blood sugar. And when sugar levels drop, epinephrine (adrenaline) rises. the result is lightheadedness, difficulty concentrating, irritability and jitteriness. Too much caffeine can also cause jitters, and for some, downright anxiety.

These symptoms call for a diet centered on whole grains, vegetables, fruits, fish, poultry and meat. For people vulnerable to attacks of low blood sugar, small, frequent meals can help. Shannon asks his anxious patients to quit caffeine, including coffee, black tea and sodas.

(Nomi's note: Obviously I did not choose this article for it's nutritional advice. I do not recommend grains, poultry, fish nor meat. However, I feel it is important to bring you the entire article and not try to edit someone else's words.)

Inositol, a B-vitamin relative, affects nerve transmission, including nerves that use serotonin as a neurotransmitter. A trial in which subjects were given 18 grams a day of inositol showed significantly decreased symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder (American Journal of Psychiatry, 1996, vol. 153). The same researchers tried giving 12 18 grams a day of inositol to patients with a variety of psychological disorders and found it effective in depression, panic attacks and obsessive-compulsive disorder, all conditions that respond to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (European Neuropsychopharmacology, 1997, vol. 5).

Kava (Piper methysticum) is traditionally used in the South Pacific as a ceremonial and tranquilizing beverage. Harold H. Bloomfield, MD, author of Healing Anxiety Naturally (Harper Perennial), much prefers kava over benzodiazepines, the category of tranquilizers that include Valium, Serax and Xanax. "Whereas benzodiazepines can be addictive, impair memory and worsen depression, kava improves mental functioning and mood and is not addictive," he says. Studies show it lowers anxiety better than placebo, with improvements beginning within one week (Pharmacopsychiatry, 1997, vol. 30).

Valerian (Valeriana officinalis), while best known as an insomnia buster, also soothes emotional stress. Bloomfield says this herb "has a musty, old-gym-socks aroma, but its sedative effect is nothing to wrinkle your nose at." One study found that it relieved performance anxiety and other social stresses (Pharmacopsychiatry, 1988, vol. 21).

Other calming supplements include 5-HTP because, as with depression, it regulates serotonin levels. Pacifying herbs include passionflower, California poppy, hops, skullcap and chamomile. Researchers have also reported anxiety relief using an Ayurvedic blend called Worry Free.

A final thought: For people with mild complaints, these simple remedies may be enough to restore health. But mental illness requires a proper psychiatric evaluation and treatment. While lifestyle changes, proper nutrition and herbs can facilitate mental wellness, sometimes prescription drugs are literally life-saving and may be necessary throughout a person's life.

Everyone has the right to peace of mind-whether it's found in meditation, medication or a cup of tea.

( From Nomi: Please keep reading, a list of supplements and their dosage follows.)

Linda B. White, MD, is the co-author of Kids, Herbs, and Health (Interweave Press) and The Herbal Drugstore (Rodale).
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

The following is a continuation of the Article in Delicious Magazine (March 2001 or go to Healthwell.com to read online.) In it are Dr. White's recommended dosages of the supplements she discusses in the article, along with important cautions for each one. (Note from Nomi, this was some time ago; I don't think this article is still at that website nor am I sure it's still a working website; but this particular article is in its entirety here)

(Vital and important Nomi's note: PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU SHOULD NOT TRY ALL OF THESE SUPPLEMENTS AT ONCE. Let me repeat for all of you internet speed readers: Do not attempt to try all of these supplements at once, and do not combine prescription antidepressants with these supplements. If you need help deciding how to go about experimenting with the suggestions in this article, consult your alternative health care provider. If you prefer, you can set up a telephone consultation with me-due to time constraints there is a fee for this. If you are currently taking prozac, zoloft, lithium, or any of the prescription anti-depressants you need to consult a physician, most probably a psychiatrist, who is familiar with weaning people off the prescriptions and on to the supplements. Please do not call me for advice if you are on prescription medications- I am totally unqualified to advise you and in fact, I will not advise you. It may not be easy to find such a physician, and it is doubtful that the psychiatrist that prescribed the drugs for you would know how to help you. I recommend you contact one of the authors of the books mentioned in the article, and be prepared to pay for the consultation. Whatever you have to pay, it will be worth it. Benzodiazepenes are deadly addictive poisons, and prozac has horrendous long term effects. I have found the supplements listed in this article to be at least as effective as any drug, usually more so and you are not playing Russian Roulette with your health by using them. PLEASE BE RESPONSIBLE IN CHANGING FROM PRESCRIPTIONS AND IN TRYING THESE SUPPLEMENTS. AGAIN, THEY ARE NOT MEANT TO TAKE ALL AT ONCE. PLEASE GET ADVICE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN. NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS AND HERBS ARE VERY POWERFUL-YOU MUST APPROACH THEM CAREFULLY.)

How Much Do I Take?
Depression

Supplement/Recommended Dose
Caution

5-HTP

50 mg 3x/day with meals; if symptoms persist after two weeks, increase to 100 mg 3x/day.

Caution: Mild nausea and sleepiness may occur initially.

Don't combine with drugs unless under a physician's care.

EFAs
Eat cold-water fish 2 3 x/week, or take 400 1,000 mg of both DHA and EPA/day.

Higher doses can cause upset stomach and fishy breath.

Do not combine with anticoagulant drugs.

(Nomi's note: I recommend Barlean's high lignan, or lignan rich flax seed oil. Keep in the freezer. A salad dressing made with this oil daily is an excellent way to get these important essential fatty acids.)

B Vitamins
800 mcg folic acid/day;
1 mg vitamin B12/day;
50 mg vitamin B6/day.

Do not combine with anticonvulsant drugs without a physician's supervision.

SAMe
Days 1 2: 200 mg 2x/day; days 3 10: 400 mg 2x/day; days 10 19: 400 mg 3x/day; after 20 days: 400 mg 4x/day.

May cause temporary but mild insomnia, nervousness, headaches, decreased appetite, constipation, dry mouth, sweating and dizziness. Not recommended for those with bipolar disorder.

St. John's Wort
600 -900 mg/day of standardized extract (0.3 percent hypericin).

May cause mild gastrointestinal upset, sun sensitivity.

Do not use if pregnant, nursing or taking antidepressants.

(Nomi's note: they are not kidding about the sun sensitivity, be sure to use sunscreen and protect all areas like your head and ears.)

Anxiety
Ginkgo
80 mg of standardized extract/morning and noon.

Do not combine with anticoagulant drugs or chronic aspirin use.

Inositol
500 mg 3x/day.
Cautions: None.

Kava
70 mg of standardized extract/day, or take 15 40 drops of diluted tincture up to 3x/day.

Not recommended for those with Parkinson's disease, for pregnant or lactating women or in combination with alcohol, sedatives and anxiety drugs.

Valerian
300 -400 mg of standardized extract 1-2x/day, or take 2 3 droppersful of tincture 2-3x/day.

May cause drowsiness.

(Nomi's Note:Healthwell.com is the website for Delicious Magazine.

They have interesting and informative articles at this site.)

The information on this website should not in any way be used as a substitute for the advice of a physician or other licensed health care practitioner. Neither Healthwell nor its guest contractors shall be liable or responsible to any person or entity for any loss or damage caused, or alleged to be have been caused, directly or indirectly by the information or ideas contained, suggested, or referenced on this web site.

Rawgourmet.com and Nomi Shannon, The Raw Gourmet reiterate that the information in this newsletter or at the website should not in any way be used as a substitute for the advice of a physician or other licensed health care practitioner. Neither Nomi Shannon nor Rawgourmet.com shall be liable or responsible to any person or entity for any loss or damage caused, or alleged to be have been caused, directly or indirectly by the information or ideas contained, suggested, or referenced in this newsletter or on the rawgourmet.com website.

The Raw Gourmet
PO Box 160
Bonsall CA 92003
Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Sorry no link for this.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well, OK Baja - but what if I'm feeling RATIONALLY blue about the Broncos?

Bananas aren't gonna fix the Dline, dude.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Interesting stuff, Baja.

I don't know anyone who's gone on a raw foods diet who hasn't raved about the results. The problem is, it's extremely difficult to maintain.

I do recommend people at least consider mixing in some of these principles, though. Not necessarily the supplement aspect, but the raw-foods.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Try to miss the ones with E coli...
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
Well, OK Baja - but what if I'm feeling RATIONALLY blue about the Broncos?

Bananas aren't gonna fix the Dline, dude.
That's "predominantly orange."
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Losing is a disease....as contagious as polio....as contagious as syphilis....as contagious as bubonic plague......attacking one..... but infecting all.

But curable.

Now, I want you to imagine......you are on a ship at sea......gently rocking........gently rocking........gently rocking.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Interesting stuff, Baja.

I don't know anyone who's gone on a raw foods diet who hasn't raved about the results. The problem is, it's extremely difficult to maintain.

I do recommend people at least consider mixing in some of these principles, though. Not necessarily the supplement aspect, but the raw-foods.
You are so right about the living (raw) food way of life. I now am choosing to eat living foods only (plant kingdom only) I have been close to 100% raw for about three weeks now and about 70% raw for the last 2 years. I look and feel about 20 years younger than i did. Depression and mental fog have lifted. Here is a web site that is a great introduction to the living foods way of life;
http://www.juicefeasting.com/
Old 06-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I think Josh McDaniels suffers from depression.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:08 AM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

If God didn't want me to eat meat, he never would've created cows, chicken, turkeys, pigs and buffalo.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Losing is a disease....as contagious as polio....as contagious as syphilis....as contagious as bubonic plague......attacking one..... but infecting all.

But curable.

Now, I want you to imagine......you are on a ship at sea......gently rocking........gently rocking........gently rocking.
I'm feeling sick...
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
TexanBob
Don't Argue With Me

You Know I'm Right

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darris Nash

My god, what crap.
TexanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBob View Post
My god, what crap.
Actually, that's all you'll be doing if you practice that diet.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I ate some Taco Bell for lunch and Kyle Orton was a crappy QB.

I ate a banana for a snack and Kyle Orton was still a crappy QB.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #16
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Good stuff, thank Baja! My whole family suffers from depression. Not real serious depression, but mild depression that kinda just makes life a little harder to live.

Staying away from starches is hard because with starches come carbs and if your excercising, carbs can be very necessary. But I agree people consume way too much starch in their diet.

If your not exercising, then do away with starches. If you are exercising, then moderate your starches according to how mush exercise you are getting. 20 minutes a day is not strenuous but it will affect you metabolism enough to affect things like blood sugars. Carbs can help stabilize things like blood sugars when exercising.

Overall though, yah, raw veggies and fruits are fantastic for you. Mix in some fiber from things like dried fruits (I love raisens and prunes, don't know why) and then protien via meats (yes, chicken) but in controlled moderation and overall, you'll find that you will feel better.

As Popps commented above, a diet like this is just darn hard to maintain. But if you can stick with it over the long haul, it's like anything else, you learn to incorporate it into your lifestyle.

Oh, and go easy on the beer dudes...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #18
TexanBob
Don't Argue With Me

You Know I'm Right

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darris Nash

Seriously, folks. Depression has more than one cause and can be more than one thing. For some, it is a chemical imbalance that can be treated with medication. For some, it is a mental disorder that can be triggered by traumatic experiences or repressed memories.

Are diet and exercise helpful in treating depression? Yes, of course, but they are not the cure unless you really weren't clinically depressed at all and were simply feeling the blahs or had an emotional reaction to a temporary setback.

This sounds like a lot of the weight-loss crap that's out there. Exercise and diet can certainly help but they don't work for everybody and it would be malpractice to imply that they do. There's more than one cause for depression and not one solution works in every case. That's why you experiment with various treatments until you find what works.
TexanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #19
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

WHAT THE EFF GUYS!

o hi.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #20
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I don't know about all this baja, the repubs say you should just go to the emergency room.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #21
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casson View Post
Try to miss the ones with E coli...
Ecoli is everywhere only the ones with a week immune system are affected by the virus.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #22
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I use Paxil so I feel pretty good.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #23
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I don't know about all this baja, the repubs say you should just go to the emergency room.
What else would they say given the Republican Party are the stooges for Big Pharm.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #24
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
I use Paxil so I feel pretty good.
What about your EDS?
Old 11-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #25
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

You too can destroy your immune system just get the H1N1 vaccination, it might take up to ten years but it will get the job done.