The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Kris Jenkins makes ESPN All-Decade team

To all the idiots who argued against trading for Kris Jenkins a few years ago, digest this. He beats out all the DT's in 2000's including Warren Sapp as the top DT vote getter in ESPN's worthless article. Yes, it is a worthless article but it still names him the top performing DT in the decade. He also played NT as well as any other DT in the league for the NYJ's last year and helped them lead the league in Rushing YPA in the A Gap's despite never playing NT before in his life. Yes, that's right he played UT at Maryland and for CAR.

Anyone think if Shanahan had pulled the trigger on the trade instead of the Jets things would be very different in DEN right now?
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
To all the idiots who argued against trading for Kris Jenkins a few years ago, digest this. He beats out all the DT's in 2000's including Warren Sapp as the top DT vote getter in ESPN's worthless article. Yes, it is a worthless article but it still names him the top performing DT in the decade. He also played NT as well as any other DT in the league for the NYJ's last year and helped them lead the league in Rushing YPA in the A Gap's despite never playing NT before in his life. Yes, that's right he played UT at Maryland and for CAR.

Anyone think if Shanahan had pulled the trigger on the trade instead of the Jets things would be very different in DEN right now?

Jenkins was solid for about 7 games for the Jets...then he played about 20% of the snaps and was gassing out after the 2nd quarter of games....look at how we pushed him around and gave Hillis the ball

pass
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I think if we had landed Warren Sapp things would have been different in Denver
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

wow...what a ****ty decade
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I think if we had landed Warren Sapp things would have been different in Denver
we could've drafted Ed Reed!
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

So a bunch of people who read E!spn click on a link to vote for Kris Jenkins (or is this a poll of E!spn writers?, that's even worse)? Well, if it's on the InterWebz, it must be true!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Shanahan could have saved his job with a move like that.

Joey Porter is another guy that could have made a major impact, and he was available at one point, too.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
To all the idiots who argued against trading for Kris Jenkins a few years ago, digest this.
Except you are talking about an opinion and not exactly fact.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilife View Post
we could've drafted Ed Reed!
**** Ed Reed. People act like that was the only player in that draft and Denver was the only team to pass on him.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Casey Wiegmann dominated him in the Jets game this past season.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
Jenkins was solid for about 7 games for the Jets...then he played about 20% of the snaps and was gassing out after the 2nd quarter of games....look at how we pushed him around and gave Hillis the ball

pass
Except that is not even close to being true. I watched every game the Jets played, including the DEN one where people say Weigman manhandled him and he still was in the backfield 80% of the time past the single and double teams. What teams learned about the Jets was the rest of the DL was unable to defeat Doubles and they angled their Runs and protections away from Jenkins down the stretch. In short, they ran at all the other Gaps down the stretch.

Jenkins did tire out as the season progressed because it was the first time he ever played NT and the technique is very different and demanding. To say he only played 20% of the snaps and was worthless after the second quarter though is way off base though.

As far as Pass, you are now officially an idiot.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Except you are talking about an opinion and not exactly fact.
Yes its an opinion, but the fact remains that not Only was he one of the top 3 DT's of the last decade, he still has a lot left in the tank at only 29. I bet he plays 4 more years @ a high level barring an unfortunate injury.

That's the thing here, DOMINANT DT's are hard to come by, and Jenkins has been dominant the whole decade and still is dominant playing out of position. DEN could have had him for a second rounder and still got 4-5 great years out of him.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

, I love when Med comes to fight.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I wish I disagreed with this so we could argue.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Here are the comments on Jenkins from the recent Football Outsiders 10 most irreplaceable players:

10. Kris Jenkins, DT, Jets
It seems strange that one of the 10 most irreplaceable players in football could have been acquired for third- and fifth-round picks as recently as a year ago, but the Panthers had grown sick of Jenkins' weight issues and injury problems. It was to their detriment.

The Panthers' rush defense, according to DVOA, fell from -5.1 percent in 2007 (17th in the league) to 8.0 percent in 2008 (24th -- the percentage increased, but since DVOA measures performance versus the league average of yards allowed in the same situation, a negative number is actually a good thing for a defense). Meanwhile, the Jets went from a 2007 DVOA of 11.3 percent, 30th in the league, to -7.7 percent in 2008, the seventh-best total in the league. The Jets have only journeyman Howard Green and the middling Sione Pouha behind Jenkins, leaving them with precious little depth if Jenkins should go down.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0...some-golf.html
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #16
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Tell me genious how we could've beat the Jets offer of a 3rd and 5th round selection. We didn't have a 3rd round pick.
Trade 2009 2nd round pick and a 4th in 2008?

Possibly give up both 4th round picks.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
Tell me genious how we could've beat the Jets offer of a 3rd and 5th round selection. We didn't have a 3rd round pick.

There's at least 1,000 combinations, actually...
Old 06-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #18
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Except that is not even close to being true. I watched every game the Jets played, including the DEN one where people say Weigman manhandled him and he still was in the backfield 80% of the time past the single and double teams. What teams learned about the Jets was the rest of the DL was unable to defeat Doubles and they angled their Runs and protections away from Jenkins down the stretch. In short, they ran at all the other Gaps down the stretch.

Jenkins did tire out as the season progressed because it was the first time he ever played NT and the technique is very different and demanding. To say he only played 20% of the snaps and was worthless after the second quarter though is way off base though.

Dude, you can say whatever you want about me being an idiot, I disagree.....I'm sure you've watch hours of tape on the Jets which is fine, but I had to painstakingly watch every single Sunday....and Jenkins disappeared in the latter part of the season and was on the sidelines more than he was on the field. This could be because he was a nose tackle and in a new position...and 20% is way off base i agree

so Jenkins would now be our 3-4 NT....and he would be learning the system all over again, one year later in his career....would this have made a difference for our team last year??

would Jenkins have stopped the Panthers from running through our team like 5'3" midget women? probably not

like you said, teams ran away from him into other gaps...our other gaps werent just gaps, they were highways...so Jenkins would not have made a difference
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post

Genious

No, I am no genius. Never claimed to be either.

What I will tell you is Kris Jenkins is and has been the dominant Disruptive DT of the last decade and still has more in the tank than any other DT outside of Kevin Willams IMHO. Let Kris Jenkins Line up at UT next to PAt Williams and see how unreal his stats would be in that defense!

DEN has needed a dominant DT since Trevor Pryce Decided he should play DE in 2002. If he had stayed inside, he might still be in DEN but he was stubborn and then BAL made him a DT after he left DEN.

DEN could have had him for a measely second round draft pick in 2008. Yes, that pick was Eddie Royal but no one knows how that draft would have played out if Kris Jenkins was in DEN. All I know Is DEN had a chance to get the most disruptive DT of the decade when he was 28 years old and passed. Then I was called an idiot for wanting the guy to come to DEN. Now, its time for people to come to grips with the fact that Jenkins was and still is a top 3 DT in this league and Mike Shanahan passed on him to rebuild the offense.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
Dude, you can say whatever you want about me being an idiot, I disagree.....I'm sure you've watch hours of tape on the Jets which is fine, but I had to painstakingly watch every single Sunday....and Jenkins disappeared in the latter part of the season and was on the sidelines more than he was on the field. This could be because he was a nose tackle and in a new position...and 20% is way off base i agree

so Jenkins would now be our 3-4 NT....and he would be learning the system all over again, one year later in his career....would this have made a difference for our team last year??

would Jenkins have stopped the Panthers from running through our team like 5'3" midget women? probably not

like you said, teams ran away from him into other gaps...our other gaps werent just gaps, they were highways...so Jenkins would not have made a difference

As bad as the Jets run defense was down the stretch, it went from being middle of the road to top 5 when Jenkins was there. It will severely improve this year with Ryan adding his wrinkles inot the mix and getting Bart Scott to clean up some of the running lanes.

The point of the matter is people, like you would pass on an unarguable Top 5 DT for a second round pick. There were 22 first round DT's taken in the 2000 draft's and not one was better than Jenkins. There were 26 second round DT's taken and not one better than Jenkins. So, the point being you shore up your defense with a top DT not by selecting offensive skill players. DEN could have had a top DT and been a top 20 defense with Jenkins anchoring against the run, even with the crap they put out there last year.

Sinmply put, in the end, Mike Shanahan lost his job over being a terrible GM in evaluating defensive talent.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Genious

No, I am no genius. Never claimed to be either.

What I will tell you is Kris Jenkins is and has been the dominant Disruptive DT of the last decade and still has more in the tank than any other DT outside of Kevin Willams IMHO. Let Kris Jenkins Line up at UT next to PAt Williams and see how unreal his stats would be in that defense!

DEN has needed a dominant DT since Trevor Pryce Decided he should play DE in 2002. If he had stayed inside, he might still be in DEN but he was stubborn and then BAL made him a DT after he left DEN.

DEN could have had him for a measely second round draft pick in 2008. Yes, that pick was Eddie Royal but no one knows how that draft would have played out if Kris Jenkins was in DEN. All I know Is DEN had a chance to get the most disruptive DT of the decade when he was 28 years old and passed. Then I was called an idiot for wanting the guy to come to DEN. Now, its time for people to come to grips with the fact that Jenkins was and still is a top 3 DT in this league and Mike Shanahan passed on him to rebuild the offense and Pat Bowlen is an idiot who ruined it all.
Finished.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:

Comparing hypothetical what might have beens is useless. Jenkins was great in Carolina but he was also having major issues off the field issues and he played with a much more talented D-line than he would have in Denver. He could easily have come here and been Chester McGlockton or Gerrard Warren.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Sometimes players just fit with a certain team or scheme.

Jenkins is a great player, and it sure would have been great to take a run at him instead of Dwayne Robertson. Jenkins isn't without his question marks, but a tremendous player we really could have used.

I will find it really interesting to watch Haynesworth in Washington this year. Does he dominate, or did he already get his payout?

Anyway, this is kind of sour grapes. Hopefully our defense builds its own identity, and finds it's way to the playoffs. I'll take wins over "top 10 lists" anyday.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
wow...what a ****ty decade
agreed
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #25
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

Haha. Someone tried to argue with mediator without any facts.

Thats just priceless.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote